Personal Quest Of home and hearth
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

CAISIDE
Between the three of them, work went quickly, the floor looking whole again in what felt like no time, thanks to their conversation. Caiside turned, still on his knees, and looked out the hole Are leaned against, his brows rising in surprise when he saw how low the sun was. Surely they hadn’t been working that long?

With a chuckle, Caiside stood, and dusted off his knees. Just the hole left to fix, and they’d be done, at least enough that the place was liveable. Grabbing his hammer again, And a handful of nails, Caiside stepped towards the wall, gesturing for Maea to follow him. ”We can get the boards in place after he cuts them, and secure them.” He suggested, glancing towards Are to be to be sure he approved of the idea before starting.

Maea’s uncomfortable words confused Caiside, his work slowing as he turned to consider her. ”Aren’t you curious about what there is in the world?” He kept his voice neutral, not wanting to come across as judgemental. Not wanting to explore, even a little bit, simply didn’t make sense to him. Especially someone like Maea, who was young, and obviously capable and clever.

He looked towards Are, knowing he wouldn’t get any support, but curious now that the thought was in his mind. ”What were you travelling for? When you ended up here.”

Scattering sparks of thought energy
Deliver me and carry me away
Here in my kingdom I am your lord
I order you to cower and pray
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:

Are
Are nodded quickly in response to Caiside, then glancing at Maea and giving her a nod too. With the work flowing like it had he was sure the both of them could figure out the remaining task. Especially with the way they'd breezed through the work up 'til then despite Are's meager directions. What he lacked in words he tried to make up for in planning though, carefully placing the first roughly hewn and cut plank where it should fit. "There should be fine, just make sure they're stuck, I'll worry about sealing and such later. All's needed is kinda straight and stuck." he said before grabbing another plank and sizing it to roughly fit in the hole.

The big if, as he'd come to know it, a wall keeping them all inside. On one hand he was anxious to see it all, he knew she was somewhere out there, maybe even beyond the little place that had been Maea's whole world. On the other he could see a bit of himself in that, better the evil you knew, even if it meant just scraping by. He was no stranger to doing what it took to stay alive, even if it meant putting living on hold for a few seasons. Although he still felt a pang of guilt for finally allowing himself to be forced out, forced to run when others still remained.

Ignoring the whole thing was easy when one could occupy the mind with other things, but not as easy when it was brought up in an honest question. A question that had him stopping mid swing and looking back over his shoulder, trying his damnedest to not let the pain shine through the crooked smile. He wasn't one to put a damper on the mood, but he wasn't one to lie either. "Not much..." was all he could muster without allowing the lump in his throat to come out.

He leaned another plank against the crumbing wall and looked Caiside in the eyes, his own mottled green-brown edged with worried wrinkles. "Not much I want to remember, my friend. I left much behind in Midgård, and I'd rather not dwell on it. Especially not now, there comes a time for remembering what was and nurturing what remains, now is a time to create what is to come." he said after a long pause, smiling relieved at them both.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
m a e a
here comes the sun
smiling down

She nodded gratefully to the red haired man and following Caiside's instructions she helped to hold up the boards, hammered down nails where needed and then moved on to the next. And the next. They were efficient, did not dawdle or rush; while the task was simple it was also done to the best of their abilities, and when it was all over Are would be both warm and dry.

"Of course I am curious" she replied, "but... I just don't think I'm supposed to go anywhere. Can't really, anyway, because of my eyes. At least not alone... and I doubt anyone would want to drag a half-blind person around. I'd only slow them down."

She said it with a wry smile, that did nothing to take the edge off her words. They breathed of loneliness turned to habit, a barren wasteland of a soul where a group of scholars had only just begun to soften the edges by planting hope and dreams. Belief in herself and in the friendship of others had yet to become a habit, and so she fell back onto what she knew. Herself. The barriers that stood in her way. And the small, solitary spot she had created for herself, from where she gazed out at the world.

She was tied by more than just physical barriers.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

CAISIDE
Caisides face fell in response to Maea’s answer, his usually gilded tongue failing him in the face of such brutal honesty. There was such a deep resignation behind the words, enough to make his chest ache in sympathy. It’s obvious this is not the first time she’s had this thought, answered this question, and Caiaide has no idea where to go from there.He stayed quiet, hammering at a board for too long before sighing. ”You never know what might happen though. There’s no reason to believe you’ll never leave.” The words were as encouraging as he couldn’t manage, and he tried to not let how hollow they felt to say show on his face.

Luck was not in Caiside’s side today. For the second time inso short a span, he was gripped by an uncomfortable silence, Are’s words and pained smile immediately telling him he’d touched on an uncomfortable subject. Caiside was certain regret shone clear in his eyes when the other man turned to meet them. At least this time Are spoke before him, saving him the uncomfortable ordeal of a second apology. He returned the smile on Ares face, glad that he had some kind of relief.

Not that he had inadvertently hurt two people with his words, Caisiide stayed quiet, notnwilling to invite any more awkward situations upon himself. The main task of supporting the wall seemed to drag on now that he was wholly focused on it, though he kept his work clean despite his boredom. Once the supports were inand strong, he looked around for more materials to fill in the last of thbwall with, wondering why Are had in mind.

Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Are
Fit and finish had always been of utmost importance to the cobbler, a piece should stand on its own, embellishments only sought to hide flaws in the craftsmanship behind it. Even though it had felt like a hastily put together patchwork, what love and pride was put into it was clearly visible to the skilled eye. Tiny but even gaps allowed for just enough movement to account for the weather and only a handful of oakum would be needed to have it tight and proofed against even the heaviest storms.

Are stood back and nodded as his smile grew and warm satisfaction filled his chest. A glance at the last sliver of sun peering over the treetops told him all he needed to know and he turned back to his two helpers. "What little's left I'll get done tomorrow, for now we can all pat ourselves on the back for work well done." he said and nodded, hands placed firmly on hips. "I owe you both a little special something for the help, shoes, boots, belts or bags, name what you want and I'll make it for you. No rush though, I won't be going anywhere soon." Are laughed at his own little joke and shone another smile at Maea and Caiside.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
m a e a
here comes the sun
smiling down

Maea too worked in silence for a while, not so much hurting as she was vexed by her own reality. It's not like the wanted to stay in the Hollow forever, there was just so many reasons to doubt that it would ever be different.
But, the girl still perked up visibly at Caiside's encouragement. Hollow words or not, however contrary to her own thoughts they might be, she still appreciated his attempt to offer hope and Maea gave him a warm smile, laced with gratitude.

"If things do change, I hope I can help you with your projects somehow. Either way I'm glad to have met you, and under such good circumstances."

They finished up the rest of the work, and when Are deckare them done for the day Maes stretched luxuriously with the hands over hervhead, breathing deeply as sore muscles protested. She would feel this tomorrow, that's for sure.

"My pleasure to help, really. If it's no trouble, maybe I could bother you for a good shoulder bag? No rush on it of course."

She gathered up what little things she'd brought with her and gave her new friends a final look, pale eyes lingering perhaps a tad longer on Caiside than she had intended...

"Well, good bye for now. I'll see you around!"

With a wave she left, off to her own home and the never ending list of work that needed to be done. Her back looked very small, and very lonely as she exited the door... but perhaps that too would change in time.

{Maea out}
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

CAISIDE
The news that the work was done came as some relief to Caiside, and his tired, aching muscles. It had been some time since he’d had to work so hard, but he couldn’t help but feel good about what he’d done, and the people he’d done it with. The news that there would be a reward was met with a bright grin from him, it just so happened there was something he was in need of.

After Maea made her request, Caiside spoke, his mind already made up. ”A pair of gloves, thick, and long.” Having a pair that fit him properly would make his work at the forge that much easier, and it hopefully wasn’t too much to ask. Are seemed sure of his skill, at any rate.

Night had fallen fast, the wan light of the moon illuminating the outdoors as Caiside followed Maea towards the door, smiling a goodbye at her warmly. His eyes followed her back for a moment, thenh e turned to Are, holding out a hand to shake before he left. ”It has been a pleasure getting to know you. Perhaps we can do it again some time.” With his farewell said, he stepped out in to the night, wandering towards the settlement.

Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Are nodded at the requests and already was his mind brimming with ideas. A satchel for all kinds of odds and ends, neatly sorted and securely tucked away as to not jostle around or be damaged by anything short of a tumble down a cliff. Gloves, hardy enough to withstand the heat of the forge and shock of a hammer without sacrificing too much dexterity.

"Far vel, friend!" he said with a warmth to his voice, waving goodbye to Maea as she left his now somewhat weatherproof home. Still smiling, he turned to Caiside and gave his outstretched hand a good solid press and shake. "And far vel to you too, friend. Thank you." simple words from a simple man, but delivered with a warm smile and eyes devoid of those worried wrinkles for once.

From the door he watched the night swallow his friends and as the silence again fell over his home Are couldn't stop smiling. Scratches, nicks and aches all reminded him of the hard day's work, but also of the friends that had made it all a little better. Not just the handiwork, but the day as a whole. So there he sat, warm smile and warm hearth, warm food and warm thoughts, and in that moment, the future looked just a little more inviting.

Are's workshop is somewhat up and running!
Thanks Johnny and Chan for participating and playing!