The Next Ten Minutes
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Bastien listened to Rexanna speak as he blocked in the rest of the room, the shadows cast by the couch and the moonlight coming in through the window, the way it illuminated her hip and made the dress sparkle...but despite his work, he paid rapt attention. It was rare he found someone so intelligent and eloquent to explain the world to him (because even Bastien would admit he did not spend much time in reality).

Targeted?
He raised an eyebrow, tried to think if he had seen any physical signs of an attack on her. Nothing, as far as he could tell, but his alert rose. Perhaps he had to look after her in the coming weeks, if this tension rose any more....he had seen this kind of unrest in Europe, and it usually ended with a head coming off. "You do not strike me as the kind of lady to just let a point go." He commented when she looked towards him with a wonderfully fierce smile, immediately changing the expression on the portrait to reflect it.

He only knew Rory through one rather awkward meeting, had never heard of 'Deimos' at all, but still nodded along. "It seems that no matter what we all say, those who want to will go to the Spire and those who object will fight. And...I fear there shall be some bloodshed, before the end of it."

Washing his brush and changing to a larger one to add in a wash of dark blue, he tilted his head one way then the other. "This is why I began the Artist's guild now. People need the joy of a good image in dark times. It is why you find the best stories in the worst times of history...perhaps you can use your position, stuck in the middle, to make a statement of some kind. I do not think I have the reputation to do it, but...you are good at speaking, cara. Understand the people."
Bastien
With a flash of the ankle, snarl of the lip
I see you in the street and gasp
Cause only Anarchists are pretty
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
With his comment, she caught his eye briefly and felt some kind of pride to that. She certainly didn’t let things lie, not when she could defend herself at least. She had lived long enough under the eye of many that sought to bring her down, and in the end of that she had no power to tell the truth. Regardless, she had been given a ‘do over’ and she wasn’t about to let it pass – to have her drawn through the mud again and again because of one person.

Bastien nodded along to her, however, and she continued to pose as she listened to him. “You’re right.” She said softly, uncertain of what she wanted to happen. She wanted everyone to talk about it, to not be a them versus us idea. But if they talked about it, how long would it go on? Would they ever come to a decision by the end of her life? Or would the fight still happen when one side grew too impatient, when the other wasn’t around to guard it? There wasn’t a clear answer, and it hadn’t been defined in black or white – despite being in the middle of it.

She sighed quietly to herself and struggled to gather her thoughts until Bastien spoke again. She watched him as his head tilted from side to side and she couldn’t help the small smile that came over her face at the sight. But then, she nodded ever so slightly in response. He was right, she wasn’t certain if people would listen to him because of everything. But she did, likely because she was too stubborn to let him get away with certain things. Perhaps that’s why they got along so well. But yet, she felt as though she didn’t want that kind of title – didn’t want to be a voice for the people.

She had been the people’s hope back home, and they had all suffered for it. “It does wonders to take the mind off of everything, at least for a small amount.” She said quietly, offering him a smile. “I think what you’ve done is very important. You said you had something similar back in your world? Did you bring artists together to simply create and be?” She asked after a moment, eyes dancing toward him and admiring his attention to all the details.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Moonlight came cascading through the window in his painting, perhaps a little more than it did in real life, caressing the edges of Rexanna's body and sparkling in the shine of her dress, highlighting hairs that had wandered stray from her head and creating a halo. The light was diffused over the back of the couch and floor so that the sharper lines drew focus to Rexanna.

He was changing over brushes and mixing a colour for her skin when she asked him about his old sanctuary. Right away, a nostalgic smile lit up his face. God, it felt like it had been so long - he had only left (or rather, been pulled away from) Venice a few months ago but already the small staircase and balcony window of his bedroom in the top floor of the sanctuary felt so far away.

"Sadly, not quite so simple. Where I was from, there was a lot of poverty and those who were born poor did not have much opportunity. The rich created the art, and it was a shame, because Nobles are terrible at it." With a sharp laugh he began to paint in her face, just a blank shape for the moment as he got the colour down. "So, I made a deal with the talented and destitute. They could live with me, with other artists. Have supplies, space, everything they needed. But."

Bastien looked over the side of his canvas, held up a finger to really punctuate this point. "It was a selfish place and you had to care for yourself, too. So each artist gave me 50% of profits and spread my name with them as their sponsor. Soon, I was the most influential art personality in Venice."

He shrugged, began to paint in her arms. "Of course, I did care greatly for those in my care. Spent much time with them. ...I hope they are alright without me."
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
He seemed so nostalgic when he spoke, yet Rexanna was all ears – picturing it to the best of her ability this “Venice” and what he might have gone through in that life. And suddenly, as he painted the picture within her mind she smiled in response at his comment of nobles. She nodded, too, because never had she really heard a more accurate statement. “They’re awful.” She acknowledged, knowing that while she had been noble before her exile, she had always done her best not to act like one. She knew where she came from, and she knew how those people acted.

As Bastien continued, and ended on a brief but, she listened to him as he made the point. She nodded as he shrugged and spoke that he hoped they’d be fine without him, she offered him a gentle smile. “I think if they’ve learned anything from you, they’ll be able to handle themselves.” She said with a quiet laugh. “And it seems perhaps we have more in common than we thought.” She paused, eyeing him suspiciously in a playful manner. “Remember how I told you I grew up as a servant?” She paused with a whimsical smile. “It’s how I learned to sew; I would steal torn dresses that the nobles wouldn’t dare wear before and make clothes out of them.

But then she thought about it a bit longer and sighed, her smile faltering slightly though she regained the composure he needed. “But when I became a noble, I tried my hardest to not be like them. They’re ruthless in their endeavor for power, and despite it being dropped to me I had never wanted it, never craved anything such.” She paused, glancing back to Bastien. “Except the magic is nice.” She teased with a small smirk.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
Rexanna seemed to agree with his assessment of nobles; he realised belatedly she had at one point been one, though she didn't seem offended so he let it go with a nod and a small breath of laughter.

"Ah, so resourceful! I have done similar, with what was once curtains or a lady's dress. Indeed, many of my performer's clothes came from a noble's trash." Switching to a dark blue he added in the beginnings of finer details to the canvas, the flick of her eyelashes and dips of her knuckles, shadow under her nose. Quickly it was becoming a good likeness of Rexanna (portraits had always been his speciality) and he smiled at his progress.

"Did the magic come with the nobility? In my world the Doge certainly did not get fireworks on his fingertips." And a good thing too, he thought. "But do not fear, cara, I already had assumed you had not been a cruel Queen. I do not think it possible."

He added in the basis of highlights and shadows on the dress around her torso, blocked in the shadow on the couch. It was beginning to really take form now, only detail needed. Enough for a first sitting session. "What do you think so far?" He asked, picking up the edges and swivelling it in his hands so she could see.
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
As Bastien acknowledged her resourcefulness she couldn’t help the grin that formed as he continued. Laughing softly through her nose, she nodded briefly before regaining the same pose. “They throw out so many good things, it’s a shame really.” She added with a knowing look. “Once I wore the same dress and I thought the Queen of Asciend was going to have a heart attack. She demanded I change immediately, even though it had been a year since I wore it last.” She said, smiling a bit at the memory of the woman who was a similar height to she – yet bore the most beautiful white and black wings.

When Bastien asked of the magic, she shook her head slightly. Smiling faintly at the response of him saying she wouldn’t be a cruel queen. She had never wanted to be a queen. She would have been content to remain a servant until she took her dying breath – probably would have married the boy a few doors down that cared for the fireplaces. It would have been so different, so much simpler. “Ah, my people didn’t have magic. But the Asciends, my husbands people, were winged and some had magic.” She said briefly, unable to help a small shiver run down her spine. “They pretended that I had magic, would give me tiny fireworks to show the people when they doubted.” She tilted her head slightly but not enough to throw off which part Bastien was working on.

Though they knew as soon as I ran that I was magicless. Spouted it off as another deceit –Among many. She almost added. “All I had were my quick feet and my wit. It wasn’t until I came here that I found out I had it and it was real.” She said, glancing back to him with a small grin. But Bastien had finished the painting for the moment, swiveling to where she could see it. At first, she wasn’t certain where to look first. Her eye was drawn immediately to the highlights, to the small halo that crowned her head, and around again while the shadows lead back to the light in great beautiful swoops.

For a moment, she couldn’t say anything. But the smile that grew across her face was the most genuine thing she’d ever done, and she shifted her eyes toward Bastien with a gleam of happiness within them. “It’s amazing Bastien.” She said almost breathlessly, that grin unable to be wiped from her face. “You are an incredible painter.” Her voice was soft, but it rang true. She had the proof in front of her. “I – I don’t know what else to say.” She stumbled over the words with a small laugh. “It’s stunning though, you’ve outdone yourself I think.” Winking to him, she continued to grin.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"Rexanna, how could you? You know if a dress is seen twice the eyes of the rich burn!" Bastien laughed, feigning shock and offence with a hand clasped over his chest and a tilt of his head backward.

He paused with his head still slightly back as she spoke of people with wings and magic in her world...previously he had been joking about Heaven, but looking at her now in the gold dress, speaking of such things, Bastien began to truly wonder if she had once been with the angels. Though the people she had been with did not seem virtuous. "Cara, there is nothing in you that should be covered up with deceit. Your honest self is the most beautiful I have seen. Perhaps the people in your husband's family were winged, but they were not wise."

Rexanna seemed to like the painting, her smile something he drank in gladly. It had been too long since he had had his work admired; he gave a small bow and placed it back on the canvas. "Thank you. It is not finished, but it is a good beginning, I think. Of course, the work would be nothing without my muse and model. An artist is only as good as his subject." Saying this he walked to the couch, knelt before it and took her hand, kissed her fingers.

"And my subject is radiant. Shall we have that wine?"
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
As Bastien put the hand to his chest and feigned dramatics, she laughed. “It’s so wasteful!” She whined, glancing to him as she explained more about her magic. Of course, Bastien had the right things to say, and she settled a bit at his agreement. “They were terrible, barbaric people.” She agreed. Everyday she had to fight the propaganda they had put out about her home and how terrible it was for the Asciends to continue to let it stand. But after everything, perhaps it settled with them too. Her home was no longer around, instead it had been sundered and abandoned. Ivory towers crumbling with the ruby hue of fire licking their bases. But she was here now, and she could do absolutely nothing about it.

Luckily, the painting was a beautiful distraction. And as she complimented Bastien about it, she sat up slightly on the couch as he approached. Her eyes following him until he knelt just before the couch and kissed her fingers. Her cheeks reddened slightly and she laughed softly at his praise. “You flatter me.” She said after a moment, sitting up and leaning over to place a soft, gentle kiss on him. Bastien then mentioned the wine, to which Rexanna nodded a bit eagerly. “Yes!

Swinging her legs off of the couch, she moved slightly to stand and retrieve the wine. As she did so, her legs brushed up gently against Bastien before she stood fully and moved back to the small table that had the wine. Picking up the bottle, she turned back to Bastien with a grin. “Ready to celebrate?” She asked him as her grin faded into a soft smile. Her eyes scanned his face, a hint of uncertainty within them. She didn’t know how much Ascending had changed him, and she wasn’t certain if he’d be able to enjoy wine like he used to. Despite that, it was new to him too. They’d be learning it together.

And something about being here with him, having said yes to a terrifying thingfor her, was incredibly exciting.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
Bastien smiled into the kiss, hoped it would be the first of many such moments. Had it always been such a simple pleasure just to be near someone? Not for the anticipation of sex or any other promise but just for their presence? How had he not noticed this before with anyone else? Was Rexanna truly special? As she stood for the wine he moved to sit on the couch, smiled after her with a dreamy look in his eyes.

"I am always ready to celebrate, Rexanna. Especially when there is such a thing to be grateful for as our new chapter. Though usually when I drink wine, I do it in a glass." He winked, reached behind the couch and to a box behind him where seemingly randomly, he brought out two glasses (it was random. Bastien's tidying tended to be 'I know where it is'-based, didn't follow a lot of rules) and held them out for her to pour into.

Once she had he passed one glass to her then knocked them together ("To new beginnings"), taking a large drink from his own. "Ah. It tastes...less real, somehow. Than before. But still good enough." And in the moment, it was.
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
He moved onto the couch and as she turned with the glass, she heard him speak and wink and she returned his words with a snort. “I’m not barbaric!” She accused, a playful yet pointed wounded look crossed her face. But she moved to sit beside him on the couch and waited for him the pull the glasses out. When they had poured the wine into them, she clinked her own against his and toasted to the new beginnings as well; hoping that it wouldn’t end in destruction and ruin like so many good things in her life. But she was content, regardless, to be here with him. She couldn’t see any other way.

As he took a sip, she took one too. And she listened, cradling the glass in her lap as she looked fondly toward him as he remarked about the wine. Her head tilted curiously, eyes soft as she watched him. “What else changed?” She asked with a curious spark in her eye. She hadn’t known enough Ascendeds too well to actually ask what the differences were. And for a moment, she wondered if it hurt to become one. Keeping the glass in one of her hands, she moved her free one to rest and hold one of Bastien’s. “You’re cold, too. Not unbearable, but certainly not the furnace you were before.” She remarked with a playful glance sent his way.

Did it hurt when you Ascended?” She finally asked, a bit of concern flashing across her face that she tried to hide by taking another sip.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"A good bit of barbarism never hurt anyone, my lady." Bastien said with a wink, taking in more of the wine. It was like the memory of wine, too thin and not enough taste but just enough to make it worthwhile.

What else was like that? Everything, really, except for the intensity of his bite, but..."I feel heat and cold differently. Only slightly...though the sun burns like I am stood in a furnace. I feel touch in a new way too...almost, in my mind, instead of in the skin. I know I have been touched, but the sensation is new. Also.." He glimpsed down. "Perhaps you should know this given our new relation. I am struggling to raise the flag, yes? But I understand there are ways to work around it...and with the bite having so much power I am sure it won't be too missed."

He did not seem embarrassed at all about this fact of his Ascension, casually leaned back and took a sip himself before answering her last question. "No...well. For a brief second, then it was just bliss. The most beautiful sights before my eyes, a whole universe to play with, floating up into the sky...it was life-changing." Eyes glazed over with the memory he looked down into his glass, swirled the wine.

"If it were possible for you, Rexanna...I would suggest we both undergo the process. But as far as I know, the Gods will not speak to those with magic. Unfair, I think. Perhaps...if you wanted to, one day we could convince them."
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
She laughed in response to his barbarism comment before she took another sip of the wine and cradled the glass in her lap – focusing on the planes of Bastien’s face as he told her what it was like. For a moment, she was intrigued. But sad to know he could no longer spend time in the sun. Could no longer enjoy the feeling of the warmth on his face, and somehow it was sad for her to know that he probably couldn’t feel the warmth of her either. But he continued, to speak of touch as well and none of it truly appealed to her. What was the point of it all? If you couldn’t feel the seasons around you? The touch and gentle warmth of someone else beside you? It seemed… lonely, for especially Rexanna who craved the softness of companionship with touch and warmth from enduring so long without it.

But then he spoke of his flag and her brows raised slightly before a small crooked smile reached her lips at the memory of Lucas’ surprise at the Masquerade. “Ah, is that why Lucas was happy about the Masquerade?” She teased with a small wink. But then she wondered how it had worked there and didn’t work anywhere else. Had some other god meddled in it? And if so, she imagined it had to have been Frey. There just wasn’t any other way. But she did breathe a sigh of relief as Bastien mentioned that it didn’t really hurt. That, at least, was good. And she was happy for him despite the circumstances, despite changing almost everything about him.

She took another sip of the wine as Bastien spoke next and had to refrain from spitting it out at the idea. She swallowed hard, eyes slipping back to Bastien briefly as she offered him a small smile. “It’s something I’ll have to think about.” She offered, following up on his comment about the gods. “It isn’t impossible, remember I’ve met Frey twice” She informed him, holding up her fingers and waving them as if she were naming off accomplishments. Which, if the gods hated those with magic so much, perhaps it was an accomplishment of sorts. “I’ve planted flowers so I could give them to the gods, even if they don’t respond. I at least want to tell Frey thank you for making me this beautiful.” She teased with a roguish grin flashed his way.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"I suppose it must have been." Bastien said with a smile, thinking back to the Masquerade. "As I recall, you were quite happy too." There was no hint of jealousy in his voice (when it came to lovers he had never been possessive) but a teasing smile on his face. It had been a regret of his that night he had not gotten to spend as much time with Rexanna as he would have liked, but he was sure they would remedy that soon.

Rexanna bragged about her meeting Frey twice. Bastien laughed and reached to take her fingers, pull them close for a kiss. He didn't tell her of his meeting with Frey, which had been on all counts a disaster (though a rather orgasmic one).

"I am sure Frey had little to do with it. Your spirit radiates a natural beauty." He breathed against her fingers. Then suddenly he was overcome with affection, simply had to place his glass down and move close, place a gentle hand on her jaw and stroke it to her chin, lean in for a soft kiss.

"A beauty I am most honoured to partake in."
Bastien
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
She smirked to him briefly before nodding. “I had a wonderful time.” She said honestly, her smirk fading to a gentle smile as she recalled it. The many bodies, choosing Lucas because she had known what his fangs could do — and of course because Bastien’s lap had been full by Edrei. But she held no upset with it, it was a time when she was between partners. Her off and on fling with Alistair, a man she didn’t know where he had gone, but she hoped he’d understand. But now, now that Bastien and her were together she would need to be cautious in a sense. Rexanna was kind and strong and powerful with her words, but inside she held incredible amounts of self consciousness, and she knew that it had the ability of making her jealous. Especially if it meant the possibility of losing someone.

She didn’t know if Bastien felt the same, but he was willing to try for her, for them. And that was all she could ask for.

But as he complimented her, she laughed in a way that scrunched her nose. She wanted to tell him about how he continued to flatter her, but the words died on her lips as he took her hand and kissed her fingertips gently. Her face relaxed into a kind, almost loving look as she watched him. He put his glass down and she did the same when he moved closer, his cool hand caressing her jaw and as he spoke she melted into his touch, unable to think of anything clever to say but to give in to the kiss.