Personal Quest His Dying Wish
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Patience had been hard-won but rewarded ultimately. Since Ronin passed the days seemed to have passed in seconds. A riot of Naturals that was as much a fight against her as it was against themselves - divided by their own faith down racial lines, a governmental council had begun to take shape - led by a surprising but thoughtful young woman, she had met a Goddess, conferred with friends old and new, was in the process of trying to join his old guild...the sleepy Hallowed Grounds had been shaken awake in the aftermath of his passing. But the fight wasn't over yet. Rest was for the weary and she had no time for weariness.

Her plans had been veered slightly off-course but they had not been wholly changed.

To those who wished to join her, Roana had made clear the new arrangements. When the mob finally subsided (mostly anyways, she doubted there wouldn't be any onlookers to scream at them) they would approach the Spire at high noon. She would not turn away help from anyone, Naturals and Outlanders alike. This wasn't just a conquest for those like her, this was an effort to free them all. Get them out of this place. That was what he had said. Them. Not just Outlanders. Not just Naturals. Not just Northaveners. Them. All of them.

So it was at High Noon when the worst of rioting had settled that Roana arrived at the Spire - which still felt odd to stand near and not be attacked - awaiting her crew of Spire breachers.

This PQ takes place after the Mini-Event, after Maea's Government Council PQ, and the afternoon before the Ascended Spire PQ, per Odd's permission/instruction.

There are 4 spots, first come first serve. Outlanders and Naturals are welcome. However, if you have a character in the Ascended Spire PQ, you may not have that same character join this PQ.

1. Are
2. Edrei
3. Vervain
4. Ashetta
Roana
'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:

Are
Out of all that was shouted by the crowd, few things made a lick of sense to Are, but it mattered not. Being cooped up in that workshop any more would just drive him mad with grief. Following the mass of people had been more of a necessity than anything else, but another pair of turn shoes would never bring her closer and he needed to take his mind off of things.

A familiar face, a kind one at that, and orders. Finally something to do to ignore the bleeding fingers. A craftsman at heart, maybe, but still he remained as the mob dispersed. Kept there by neither duty nor compulsion, but by necessity. Sitting idly by and praying had yielded naught but distractions and further strain on his already chipped sanity, no, he could not just leave well enough alone.

"Heill!" he said, smiling as ever. I smell freedom, I might not be much more than a cobbler, but I'm here! Are stated as triumphantly as one could in the shadow of the looming spire. A constant reminder there was no escape, and how it separated him from her. What is freedom? If not another word for nothing left to lose? The words rang in his head, but it was not his father that had spoken them. Even though their source was unknown for now, he could only nod in approval of them as he approached.

"It's the least I can do, where do you need me?"
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
EDREI
happy ending? sorry this isn't disney.
Of course Edy was there. Rathskeller or no, the not-teenager had still be raised a soldier. And with Ronin gone, that basically left Roana as the one at the top of whatever org-chart they'd cobbled over from Northaven. Z would always be the family head and she was not dummy when it came to actual strategy, but Roana had been her captain once upon a time, even if she'd only seen the woman rarely (fuck the Outpost, amiright?).

So she was here.

Edy didn't really give many fucks about this whole Spire fight, or Outlander vs. Natural shit, but all Roana had to say was Ronin told me to get everyone out for Edy to be in.

Arriving and for once dressed appropriately in the training garb she'd been sent over in, she gave Roana a salute before standing silently behind her.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
VAI
The huntress
Vervain's 'appropriate garb' no longer fit, given that she was carrying around a growing child, but that didn't stop her from approaching. She had no intention of doing anything ridiculous like fighting, but where her daughter and those who had joined her had gone wrong, she was eager to put right. "Hey," she called as she approached, dressed in furs and leathers which didn't restrict her or her bump too badly. Her bow and quiver were on her back, and she nodded at Roana and Edrei in greeting.

"I'll be here, in case anyone gets hurt," she murmured, glancing to Are and realising they hadn't yet met. Offering a quick smile, she nodded to him. "Vai," she introduced. "I'm able to use healing magic. Hopefully it won't be needed, though... so. What do we do first?"
Messenger

Age: 28 | Height: 5'0" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 7 (lvl 3 Attuned) - Strg: 10 - Dext: 27 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
PERCY - Mythical - Unicorn (Superspeed) SOOT - Regular - Wine Spider
Played by: Jaecarys Offline
Change author:
MP: 150
Ashe
And when you're scared so bad
you gotta dig your nails into your palm
white knuckles

The large paws of a jet black wolf devoured the earth as Ashe tore across the Hollowed Grounds. It was easy enough to pick up their scents through the muddied sea of what the mob left behind.

Honestly, Ashe had not been planning on coming here today. She was angry, she was hurting, she was fucking miserable, but who the fuck needed time to deal with that, right? It was the race to the Spire - who would win, Naturals or Outlanders? The wolf snuffed as she neared, golden eyes glinting with irritation at that.

It didn't matter who got the barrier down, as long as someone did, and she wasn't going to sit idly by knowing she could have done something. Not when her only chance to bring Ronin back depended on this. She padded up to stand beside her mother, tongue hanging from canine jaws as she nudged her nose into Vai's hand, leaned her shoulder against her hip. Then in a flash, a small raven-haired woman garbed in her black assassin's gear stood beside the witch, fire-blue eyes glancing at those gathered... giving Roana a pointed look that said 'Yes I'm fucking here, alright?' Tentative bridges.

Lightning flickered over her shoulder as she looked up at Vai, frowning slightly. "This won't be safe," Ashe said cautiously, eyeing the bump that held her growing sibling. She wouldn't hesitate to do anything it took to keep them safe.

You gotta hit so hard so they
know that this was never their world
red knuckles

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Roana looked over the group that gathered quietly, assessing how good or bad the turnout was based on her knowledge of them.

First was Are...who was a little odd but earnest. But she was fairly certain he had little to no combat experience. "Your assistance is appreciated, just keep in mind that this could be incredibly dangerous." she warned. Her disposition was likely unusual to him, stonefaced and severe - not the kind neighborly lady that had taken him in.

Edrei was a welcome sight. She knew the value of a Launceleyn in a military situation (even if they were irritating most any other time at best). She would be incredibly helpful. Roana gave her a salute back, glad to have her along.

Vervain...she knew of but not personally. A healer was always welcome but a pregnant one? Roana had miscarried after a battle back in Northaven so that made her very nervous for her sake. "Yes, hopefully not. Please don't push yourself." Roana said in earnest. She wouldn't wish what she had gone through on her worst enemy, much less a friendly face.

Ashetta...well she was the biggest surprise. And based on the look she got, it was sort of a surprise to her as well. "I appreciate you coming Ash." she said quietly. Her magic had been very helpful against the Spire Demon and she definitely had good combat instincts.

"She is right, this will be dangerous so we will proceed as such." she said for them all to hear, her Captain's voice unmistakable. "The goal is to breach the Spire, enter, and find the means to bringing down the barrier. The Spire Demon that protected this and the barrier itself both reacted strongly to attacks that caused burns, so Edrei, Ashetta, your skills will be particularly necessary." she said to them. They needed to be at their best, especially with an inexperienced melee fighter and a pregnant healer along for the ride.

"Edrei and Ash will attack that spot first." Roana said, pointing to the spot on the Spire where it seemed a door had once been. "Then the rest of us can try our hand at opening if they fail."

For this round, Edrei and Ashetta will go first,  the rest  will wait for the outcome of their attacks before proceeding which Roana will initiate.

Edrei and Ashetta can post in whatever order suits their fancy.
Roana

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:

Only there was an obstacle that would halt the group's progress.

Though many of Rory 's posse had gone home, still around 40 or so remained. Whether they were loyal to the man's plight or whether they simply had nowhere else to be was unclear. What was obvious though, is that they drastically outnumbered Roana and her team.

What will you do?
Leatherworker

Age: 36 | Height: 175cm / 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Neowulf Offline
Change author:
MP: 970
Rory wore no armor.

He looked as he had for most of his time with the mob: dark and wild-eyed, feral and sleepless. The blue of his eyes, normally so light and so mellow, was cold and hard. His hair was done up in a golden braid, tucked down the back of his leather greatcoat—which was the closest he had to protection, and not much at that, either.

And the only thing he had to bite with was a small knife.

Rory wasn't there to fight. He didn't even like being where he was, surrounded by people, by anger, bloodthirst, despair, faith—

But he had started this, so he would see it through. If he gave up—if he went home—what would that say about him? And if anyone made it into the Spire, and he hadn't been there to stop it, like he'd said he would...

It made him both angry and sad that this was needed at all, that the Outlanders couldn't just leave well enough alone, and grieve for their fallen warrior while the Naturals grieved for their dying world. Why was there such a rush? Such a blind, mad race to break out? He was already halfway out of his mind, stressed about every day lost planting his crops and caring for his animals (he had managed to send word to a neighboring farm, who had agreed to make sure his animals were fed and oversee the kiddings, so at least they didn't starve), wanting this only to end so that he could go home.

So that they all could go home, and plant their crops and care for their animals, and think about what they were going to do.

But with the demon dead, the Spire had no other guardian that they knew of, so Rory became the new one.

The word got around. She, that filthy Outlander, was back. Rory rose from where he had been sitting, and rolled his shoulders back. He was not looking forward to this, but he steeled himself, and strode off in their direction.

Once in front of them, he folded his arms over his chest. And seeing who stood there, on the other side, hurt his heart, so he clenched his jaw and swallowed the pain. Edy, from Long Night. Vai, who he liked, who had saved him, who he wanted no squabble with.

Roana. The short woman from the Spire fight. And a complete stranger.

"I told you," he said calmly, but the way he stood, the way a couple of others fanned out behind him, made it clear: they would not be allowed to come closer. "This is not your thing to be doing."

Distantly, he wondered if they would attack him, and if so, how far they were willing to go.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
Roana sighed and held a hand up to stay Ashetta and Edrei’s attacks as the mini-mob decided to move in. It wasn’t hard to find Rory – of course – heading the surge of people. ”Let’s see how willing they are to talk today.” she said quietly to her group, with a quick glance towards Ashetta who had been critical of her for this.

The former captain walked over to where Rory stood, keeping her posture relaxed and limbs loose. The last thing she needed was to be mistaken for an aggressive threat. That said, her expression remained severe as she surveyed those surrounding Rory. ”Why? You and your friends seemed perfectly content to let Outlanders like me risk life and limb to take down the demon while you criticized from a safe distance.” she said curtly, eyes falling on Rory. Obviously he could read so Ronin’s noticed would not have been beyond him. He had been at the meeting when the attack in Flowerbirth was planned – in fact it had been his suggestion to attack when Deepfrost ended. Now he wanted to be upset about everything that was happening?

”I don’t want to fight you Rory, truly I don’t. In fact, I think we both have the good of everyone at the heart of our actions. Is this really what you wanted to start? Nationality wars? Broken friendships and heartbreak?” she said, her expression softening slightly, her tone earnest. Really, she thought this all blown terribly out of proportion. She wasn’t unreasonable she was driven and there was a difference between the two. ”This sort of thing will escalate beyond your control if you don’t reign it in now – I have seen such things many times over – and Outlanders will not be the only ones to suffer for it. Please, for everyone’s sake I beg you to put an end to this and negotiate some compromise.” she said more quietly, her tone dropping so likely only he and perhaps those closest to him could hear.

Rory
Roana
Leatherworker

Age: 36 | Height: 175cm / 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He wondered what about it that was so hard to understand. We don't want you to be doing this, not now, not without us asking, you don't understand the ramifications—the reasons—the responsibility.

It's not your choice to make.

And yet this woman was here again, as if her continued existence hinged on bringing down the barrier as soon as she could. What's the rush he wanted to ask her, to sneer, perhaps, are you afraid someone will steal your glory?

Who was she, to think she knew better than all of them? Who was she, to decide that her way was the right—and only—way? "No," he responded, his voice tired but his eyes fierce. "I would have done what I could to stop their attempts again, if I had known about it sooner. By the time I heard of it, and arrived, you were too close to the Spire, and I was not interested in risking my life to save you from your own stupidity. You chose to risk your life, knowing fully well how deadly that thing was. A thing many a Natural has done before, too. The only difference is that you got lucky."

He didn't understand what she was trying to do, what she was trying to achieve. Guilt trip him? Guilt trip him into moving out the way? As if she had some fucking higher moral ground? She was like a spoiled brat, put out because she wasn't getting her favorite toy—that wasn't even hers to begin with.

Rory watched her in silence. I have seen this before, bla bla bla. As if this was his to end. As if it was hers to compromise.

Spoiler alert: it wasn't.

"Then for everyone's sake, stop trying to break into the god-damned Spire," he answered her calmly. "Why are you such in a hurry, anyway? Are you afraid it'll get legs and wander off?" He stared at her for a moment. "I don't get why you won't just give us the bloody fucking time to decide what we want to do with it. No, it's just your decision, your intention, your fucking everything, as if you're the only one with good ideas around here." He was bristling slightly, like a wolf pulling back its lips and raising the fur along its back. He breathed in through his nose, tried to smooth himself out.

Sleeplessness made for short fuses. "Why are you so obsessed with doing this, and with doing it now?"

Just go home, Roana. And I don't mean Northaven home. I mean your fucking house.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
"You had the same amount of notice, if not slightly less, between when I posted my notice and you managed to pull together a full mob as there was between Ronin's notice and the attack." she said simply, dismissing the idea that he hadn't had enough time. Factually speaking it was utter nonsense. If he could pull together a mob of over a hundred overnight to stop her, he could have done so to stop their attack. He hadn't. Plain and simple. Time had nothing to do with it. "And we did go out there willingly to risk our lives, but not just for Outlanders like you make it out to be. For you, for other Naturals...and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Without a second thought. If risking myself could somehow better the lives of others it isn't even a question. You call it stupidity but that is the sort of sacrifice I am trained and prepared for. Luck had perhaps a part in our victory but we were prepared. We had fought it before, we knew some of its weaknesses, we had antidotes for its venom prepared, and we followed your advice to wait until Spring to advance." she said said, her brow furrowing a bit, her tone a little exasperated. She didn't understand why it had to escalate this way. She didn't understand why he had gone from offering advice to outright opposing them...and she didn't understand why they had to be opposed simply because she was born elsewhere.

She didn't have a choice anymore, this place was as much her home as it was Rory's now. These people were her people now and together they could improve the lives of everyone even if they weren't all willing to put their lives on the line.

Roana listened quietly as Rory ranted, everything he said wearing on frayed nerves. Her lips pressed together in a thin line. "Ronin's dying wish to me was to get everyone out of this bubble. Outlanders. Naturals. The Old Gods. Everyone. He died so that you could have the freedom to stand where you are now and berate me as if you know me, and his last wish was that you be able to live in a world without the restrictions of a cage." she said quietly, only a hint of a tremble of emotion in her voice. But the sadness was in her expression; she was grieving his loss even as she acted on his dying wish. The weight of Ronin's words on her shoulders was crushing. But she carried on, that was her way. "I have spoken with Safrin and she could not or would not confirm much about the Spire other than she thinks the source of the barrier is somewhere below the ground under the Spire, and Ludo thinks it at the top. Regardless, somewhere inside the Spire is the means to bringing down the barrier and that is why I am committed to doing this." she said, her voice evening out again as she spoke of less emotionally charged topics. "I've also been told that the reason this barrier was raised was because of a clash between the old gods and...the one who made herself known here before." Roana purposefully spoke around saying the Voice's name, not wishing to summon her to the field as Rory had. This was between them at the moment. "But as far as a military action goes, to speak plainly, it failed. She still exists obviously, and the only ones who have suffered for it are you, for three centuries no less! And now suddenly, people like myself begin to appear here? People with military experience, history with strategy, history with other divine beings and so on...why else were we brought here if not to help you escape from this place?" Roana stopped herself, shaking her head she she began to get worked up.

"I don't think I am the only one with good ideas around here and you will not hear me say that I know everything there is to know, especially about this place. But I do think I am one of the few with enough technical active military experience to know how to respond to the potential dangers that may arise. I would cherish your counsel, but how do you anticipate giving counsel on something no one has been able to approach before? If you don't let me try to breach the Spire, you can't know what to do or what to expect. Moreover, you've not given any reason why I shouldn't, you've only yelled at me not to." she said, then gestured to the rest of her gathered group. "Let us risk ourselves for the purpose of understanding what we face, then come together to decide how to proceed. Is that not favorable to you?" She was offering to risk everything in this scenario.

Rory
Roana
Leatherworker

Change author:
Rory shook his head slowly at her. He hadn't had the same amount of notice. Perhaps it had been posted at about the same time intervals, but that was not the same thing. "I could tell you all the ways in which those two situations were different," he responded tiredly, then said no more about it. The ball was in her court on that one. He didn't feel too convinced she'd actually understand what he'd tell her anyway; if she wanted to treat the issue like something that was black-and-white, well... Possibly she wouldn't accept that it wasn't.

But the two situations had been nowhere near the same. They only had two common denominators, really: their supposed time frame, and the subject.

There were a lot of things about what passed through Roana's mind that Rory could not understand, or rather, he couldn't understand how she couldn't understand. It was as if her willingness to risk herself somehow justified her doing anything she pleased, because it was selfless and for the greater good.

But it wasn't.

And she tried to turn his own bitter, powerless words back against him.

"My advice?" he hissed, bristling again as his eyes narrowed and flashed. "I had just lost my friend to the guardian they spoke so brashly of defeating! It was not advice, it was a sense of helplessness—powerlessness—to dissuade them—Ronin—from his stupid plan! I wanted to stall them, to prevent this from happening at all, because you know what? You know how it went, yeah? Ronin died!" Surprise surprise! The lethal monster killed more! Who coulda thunk it?

It had not been, and never would be, advice. He had wanted them to wait, to find things to live for, so that the allure of the outside world would not be so strong.

He supposed he should've known it was doomed from the start. They saw a foe to vanquish. A puzzle to solve. A world to find. Freedom on their tongues, in their lungs—

Rory had liked Ronin. That was entirely beside the point, though; he had liked Ronin, but had it been him standing there instead of Roana, well, Rory still would've stood where he was.

"Wow, you spoke to a god, congratulations," he interjected acerbically, fully aware that Roana was unaware that he was Abandoned (most, in fact, were unaware of this fact; the list of those who knew was short and sweet). And again, the simple center-of-everything logic: oh wow we have military experience and we're here, obviously it's so we can bust your sorry asses out of here!

He didn't want her good intentions. He didn't want her self-declared martyrdom. He didn't want her thinking she knew anything about this place after only mere months in it, much less enough to make informed decisions about their future—as if they were all sheep and too dumb for their own good. As if they needed guidance. As if they needed help.

Didn't she understand how patronizing, how disrespectful, and how vile-tasting this whole affair was?

"How about I don't let anyone try to breach it," he said. "Or did you not hear me deny the Ascended the same thing you're wanting?" He denied Natural Ascended, no less; if this was about Outlanders, it was either because it was a convenient narrative, or because they had the bad taste of showing up to do monumental things with .. well, Outlanders.

"We never asked for this—for any of this. We didn't ask Ronin to make some choice for us. We didn't ask anyone to defeat the demon and bring down the barrier. I'm sorry he's dead, but he has no right, either, to just decide what's going to happen. Do you know what it's like to have a bunch of random people arrive and just put their boot on your back without even noticing and then say 'oh, hey, this shit sucks, lucky you we've all arrived to make things better!'?" It wasn't only rhetorical; he was interested in hearing if she had been through something similar.

Because if she had been, by everything holy and unholy, he might just give up reasoning with her entirely.

"Because that is exactly what you're doing here, so high on your grand idea of being some bloody martyr or force of good, or whatever—I don't doubt your intentions. You're misguided, not evil. But like I said. This is not your thing to be doing. This is not your choice to be making. Why can't you just accept that we don't want your sacrifice?"
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
EDREI
happy ending? sorry this isn't disney.
Edy would have stayed quiet. She really probably would have tried to, anyways. Ooohhh but then braids went and fucking said his name in that fucking voice and the inferno that was Edrei Launceleyn wouldn't be contained.

"Fuck you." She spat, eyes ablaze as she moved to stand beside Roana. "Please. Please say that you'll be the one to stop us. Say it one more fucking time." Edy snarled, fire blooming from her fingertips as her lip trembled with the weight of her hatred for Rory and her longing for Ronin.

He'd been her fucking captain, and if it took her dying to wipe that self-righteous expression off of braid's face, that was a price she was more than willing to pay. "If I ever hear you say his name again, I'll kill you." Edy snarled, her voice low, her eyes feral. If Ronin heard her speak that way, defending him so stupidly in a moment of tension, he'd have struck her upside the head and sent her to the back of the line. But that was the thing. He wasn't here, and this asshole did not get to use his death as some sort of fucking example.

"You wanna know what right we have? We have the right simply by being here. You can take your natural talk and fuck right off back to your farm with it, cause it belongs with the rest of your bullshit. You wanna know why? Cause I know you fuckers have tried this before. We've heard about attacks on the Spire made by your lot. So none of this boo hoo Ronin can't make the decision for us cause he fucking didn't."

Her fire grew as she took a step towards Rory. Singed hair smelled like a bitch, but it would seem like a fucking bouqet if it came from him.

"You wanted to stall him? Cause you didn't have the fucking guts to say what you wanted back then? Fuck you. So hear this. I give zero fucks about what you want. I give zero fucks about who was here first, or what it's like for ya'll, or what should have happened before. You tried before and failed. We didn't and now we're going in."
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
VAI
The huntress
"Edrei. Roana." Vervain's voice was quiet and soft, somehow, like a balm on a wound. "He wouldn't have wanted this." She shook her head, glancing across the divide between Natural and Outlander, so small and yet seemingly lifetimes apart. "I don't mean the Spire, I mean... this. He would never have wanted this." Frowning, shaking her head, she touched a hand to Ashetta's arm and began to turn away.

"I won't be a part of it. I'm sorry - not until things calm down. Not until we are fighting the same battle, instead of each other." There was a time and a place, and this wasn't it. Giving a quiet nod to Rory, then to the rest of the group, Vai turned and walked away from the Spire without looking back.