Change of Guard
For Remi
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The former Captain had not rested in days. Not to say she had not slept - she had triplets, you slept when you could when the toddlers outnumbered you. But her dreams were filled with plans, her days filled with training and studying. There were the moments where impatience urged her to rush the Spire now. But then she would fail her mission. There were days when she missed her sons, knowing she was not being the mothet they deserved. Though for now, the boys were with their Auntie who spoiled them so she was pretty sure they were about as content as six year olds living on cookies could be.

Roana paused in front of the double doors before stepping through, walking in with authority she couldn't really claim. A small, sad smile curved her lips. The place looked like a place Ronin would have pulled together. Homey. Warm. Completely lacking the military sharpness she would have gone with. She sighed a little as she continued in, her boots against the floor echoing through the hall.

"Remi? Are you here?" she called. She had heard he was staying here, caring for Ronin's daughter. If anyone could assist her with what was needed in next steps, it was him.
roana
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
& now I'm all alone in the dark of night
After having yelled at Sam to leave him alone, Remi's overwhelming guilt at wanting to just be left in the dark had grown nearly tidal. He wanted it, wanted to drown, wanting to just cling to Aoife like a liferaft and making caring for her his only concern, but clearly that wouldn't be able to happen.

He wanted to be selfish, perhaps now if not ever again he was entitled to be ... but he couldn't. The look in Sam's eyes as had been too much.

Even so, hearing his name and then boots echoing through the guildhall put the alchemist on the defensive. Who would just march in—oh. Remi smiled when he saw who it was, though the smiled disappeared quickly. The site of the former captain only made him think of what had happened. Made him thinking Ronin.

Hello, he mouthed silently. Aoife was asleep on his chest at the moment. Using both magic and the skill of his hands, he deposited the child into her crib and nodded his head towards the kitchen where they could speak without waking her.

"Hello Roana. You look...well." He said awkwardly, noticing that she seemed to have been healed. Even if she had though, he very much doubted that she was fine.
The moon is shining but I can't see the light
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Roana blinked in momentary confusion when she saw Remi with a sleeping baby on his chest. Where had he…oh. She had never met the child but she had heard that Ronin’s wife had had a child over Long Night and that sleeping baby must be…shit. Roana clamped a hand over her mouth, eyes widening as she froze where she stood. She had three children of her own and she knew exactly the sort of terrible awful things she had always wished upon those who woke them.

Wide blue eyes followed Remi’s movements as he carefully laid the baby down in her crib. As he did that she crouched down, silently undoing the lacing on her boots and slipping them off so she was only in soft socks. This way she could quietly shuffle across the room to where Remi led without risking waking the sleeping child.

”I am so sorry.” she breathed, looking as guilty as she felt. She only would have felt more guilty if she had actually woken the baby. ”Ah, thank you…you do too. Are you caring for her all on your own?” she asked, wondering if he needed any assistance. Raising a baby was hard, especially if you hadn’t been expecting to be.

”How are you doing?” she asked, knowing it was a loaded question.”
roana
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
Remi shook his head, alleviating the captain of whatever guilt she might have felt, flashing her a smile he certainly didn't feel. Nodding he glanced through the opening to where Aoife softly slumbered. "Yes. Well...no. Vai has come by to help. At this age they mostly sleep and eat but .. Oh, you know that. I remember hearing about your children during that whole..general ..thing." Remi chuckled softly, running a hand through his curls and shaking his head. "That seems like a lifetime ago."

As she asked after his wellbeing, the alchemist merely raised his eyes. In that other life, the two probably would never have spoken. He didn't know what social rank the former captain was, but as a weapons creator he really had no need to speak with any of them. He only met Ronin by fluke. To have her now, in Ronin's his kitchen as about him seemed strange. But that seemed to be his new normal now.

"I have been better." He said honestly, rubbing at the stubble on the side of his face. "Having Aoife makes it easier. I have something to focus on. Without her I would just be in my shop mindlessly tinkering and rethinking it all." Running a hand up his arm, he sighed. "And you? You seemed badly injured before, but now..?"
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
She smiled a little. "Yes, I have three children...used to be four." she said quietly, mind drifting to her step-daughter Ara. Not knowing what happened to her or Brahm weighed heavily on her. Not that she ever talked about it. "Well, if you ever need help let me know. I'm sure my sister in law would be willing to as well. She is a talented midwife." she said, offering assistance.

Ah the general thing. Yes. "It does, doesn't it?" she said with a light laugh.

She nodded quietly as he spoke. They had all been better. Losing Ronin was like cutting off an arm or a leg. More like the head though since he had spearheaded so much. "Ah, yes...I visited Safrin finally like Ronin had told me to. She healed me." she said quietly, looking at the ground. "I'm afraid I was too hasty in doing so. I'm just..grasping at straws trying to get us out of here. No rest for the weary as they say." she said with a light sigh, her brows furrowing. Others may have been giving themselves space to breathe and grieve but Roana had not. She was powering through it instead.

"Are you in charge of this Guild now too?" she asked.
roana
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
Used to be? Given all that had happened, Remi could only assume that something nefarious had occurred. A death in Northaven or some such. "I am sorry." He offered with a slight nod. "Is it Phoebe, by chance?" Remi asked with a slight tilt of his head. She was the only midwife that he knew of, either here or in Northaven.

"Ahh. Yes, she healed me once as well." He added with a lengthy sigh. That had only been a few weeks ago, but now it felt like a lifetime as well...a lifetime where things had been complicated, but he'd do anything to go back to them. Back to him.

"Hasty?" He prompted gently. "How do you mean?"

Looking around the guildhall, Remi could only shrug. "I...suppose? I am not even entirely sure who is in it, to be honest. I never asked Ronin what his plans for this place were.." He added a bit sadly.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
It may as well have been a death. All of the people they used to know may as well be dead, for it seemed they would never see them again. People from Northaven had stopped appearing after all. Ara and Brahm...they were beyond her reach. At his apology she shook her head a little, a sad smiling curving her lips. "Thank you, but we have all lost people in our suddenly appearing here." she said, not feeling she deserved some special apology for her loss when she was not the only one suffering the consequences of being brought here. That he guessed who here sister in law was though did surprise her a little, and her smile brightened just a touch. "Yes actually. Do you know her?" she asked.

"I went to see her too soon after the battle. I hadn't done enough research to understand some of the bigger picture of what has been going on here, not in full anyways. I am afraid I made a fool of myself in my ignorance and exhaustion... and grief." she said quietly, looking at the floor as the shame she felt controlled her facial expression for a moment. It had been a terrible misstep. She should have waited until she had her thoughts more collected. She should have been smarter. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...

Remi didn't even know who was in the Guild? That was troublesome. "I suppose if he had a second in command that wasn't you they would have shown up by now, yes?" she said, not really as a question but more of a statement. "I...had been hoping to join but...it sounds like perhaps it needs some guidance if it is to stay open. Would you like help with that?" she asked.
roana
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
Sadly Remi nodded in agreement. They had indeed lost many, and based on how things were going, they may never know why. Why they were chosen, where the rest of their people were, if they'd ever see them again...it was all just..gone.

"Very well." The alchemist confirmed with the first blushes of a smile. Still it disappeared quickly.

Nodding, more than happy to accept Roana's judgement—she was right after all—the alchemist could only sigh. "I would take any sort of help you would be willing to offer." Remi agreed instantly with a smile. "I believe Edrei Launceleyn is a member. And Ashetta and Kalt were meant to join? But .. I think it was just Ronin, Vanya, Edrei and Alistair. And..." Swallowing hard, Remi could only sigh and lower his gaze.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
Roana smiled a little when Remi confirmed that he knew Phoebe, and not just as an acquaintance but very well. "We've...only recently begun to get along so I confess to not being as good a relative to her as I should have been. But I am glad to hear she has good friends like you. I am sure she would be more than happy to help you with Aoife. If anyone knows anything about babies, it's her." she said. Even though she had three of her own, Roana was certain that Phoebe's depth of knowledge far exceeded her own. Phoebe had been assisting families for over ten years - which was the majority of her life. Roana's children were only just six, and only three out of however many dozens if not hundreds Phoebe had observed in her time as a midwife.

The former captain listened quietly as Remi listed off the current and potential members of the group. A small force certainly, but one that would need steady guidance, given some of the personalities involved. She considered possible next steps quietly, gaze falling to the ground as Remi's had. For a few moments, silence passed between them, but she did not mind. Not all silence needed to be filled with empty words.

But at length, a potential plan formulated in her mind, and she looked back up at the alchemist once more. "Then...if you would have me join and offer some guidance...let us revitalize this place and make it something of worthy inheritance for Aoife." she said with a small smile. "I can give good military direction and oversight, help with training and actions plans...help assess whether contracts are worthy of attention or not. And you could help ensure that the essence of the place remains what Ronin would have wished it to be?" she offered. She had the military background, Remi had a more personal connection and business acumen - together they could be a good team to get the guild back on its feet.

"Though...perhaps it might be better known as a Mercenary Guild? I did wonder about that." she said. Roana always had assumed it to simply by a mercenary guild that Ronin had tried to pretty up by calling it a Monster Hunters guild but perhaps Remi knew something she didn't.
roana
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
The alchemist's head tilted slightly and he nodded. If anything he was still rather surprised to be stood in the kitchen just casually speaking to someone like Roana. She was...well, a legend of sorts back in Northaven. Though he'd been successful in shucking off some of the constraints of that place here in the Hollowed Grounds where social status seemed to matter far less, being in Roana's presence brought it all back to him in shocking clarity. And so while he might have wondered aloud about why their relationship was perhaps not where the ex-captain might have liked it, instead he nodded and smiled and made a note to ask Phoebe later. "Yes, I certainly will do that. She eats and sleeps a lot now, but I am sure once she does more than that I will need all the help I can get."

As the silence stretched out, Remi found his mind wandering and wondering. It was happily that Roana finally broke the silence lest his thoughts drift somewhere that they ought not—back to Ronin, to moments he couldn't take back, and ones that he wished had transpired.

"That sounds like exactly what it needs. I admit that I did not care much for it while Ronin was ..." alive "..in charge. But now I find myself wanting to see it continue on, if only for sentimental reasons."

The mention of mercenary vs. monster only made the alchemist shrug. "I would not know about those sorts of contracts ... only that monsters seemed plentiful. But I would follow your lead on that."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
While Roana was a legend in Northaven by some regard, she rarely thought of herself in that manner. Perhaps it was the result of being raised by an actual documented legend, a man who’s deeds were more myth by the time he died than reality. But she thought herself a soldier, whose duty was to the people, and nothing more. But she was glad that he had a good relationship with Phoebe, who would undoubtedly help him once Aoife’s needs grew in number and complexity.

Roana smiled a little and nodded, glad he agreed that the guild needed some reshaping to get it moving again. ”It would be an honor to help see this legacy continue on. I would suggest you change the name to Mercenary Guild, it will draw much needed attention and is a more general name for the guild’s purpose. Why limit ourselves to monsters when people can be worse than any beast there is?” she said with a light laugh. ”We can gather those who still consider themselves members, hold some sort of recruiting initiative and training sessions to build momentum. What position would you like me to take within the hierarchy? I don’t wish to overstep my bounds.” she asked, wondering how Remi wanted this all to pan out. He had been Ronin’s number two after all, and she had no intention of taking power he wished to keep. This was about seeing Ronin’s legacy continue on, not a scramble for glory or gain.
roana
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
Remi chuckled almost reflexively and nodded. Yes people could be quite terrible but...he wasn't sure that is what Ronin wanted. But then again Ronin wasn't here to decide, and Remi was certainly in no position to.

Shrugging his shoulders gently, Remi ran a weary eye across his eyes. He had not been getting any sort of regular sleep given Aoife's age, and suddenly he felt very tired indeed. "My apologies Roana, my mind is a little ..." Remi made some sort of vacuous gesture with his hands and sighed again. "Perhaps we could work out the details at a later date? I am happy to follow your lead, but for now I feel a bit scatterbrained."