Just a stirring in my soul
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Life was moving forward. That in itself felt strange, that the weight of Remi's grief could be so large, and yet completely unable to affect the world at large. Ronin's death was monumental in his life ...  and yet the majority of the Hollowed Grounds was unaffected by it. Something about that struck a dissonant chord in the alchemist's soul, the reverberations of which echoed painfully in his bones.

But he needed to eat, and so he ventured out.

With Aoife strapped to his chest (this time she faced outwards, as already she was curious about the world), Remi stepped into the warm spring-afternoon and took a breath of refreshing air. Only it wasn't refreshing. It was painful in its sweetness, and Remi had to take a moment on the stoop of the guildhall to steady himself. Eventually though, he did make his way down the street and towards Devas bakery. Aoife cooed happily against him, her arms flapping every now and then as some stimulus or other caught her star-spangled eyes.

Pressing a kiss to her forehead, Remi whispered into her ear: "You are still too young for this, but perhaps there is something we can put into your milk so that you can taste something new?" Fussing her hair slightly, Remi pressed the door to the bakery open.

"Hello?"

I forgot what it was like, to think I found you finally
What if you were the one for me? I hope you weren't the one for me
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
A simple smile can change a day
An understanding look can say
I know exactly how you feel
"Welcome to Devas bakery."

It has become as easy as breathing, those four simple words. A welcome shield against her thoughts, she wields them with something approaching confidence, her melodious alto masking just how strange it feels to be the one behind the counter, the voice in charge. There is an ease in the routine of it, a fulfilment in sending customers on their way with a fresh loaf of bread and a quiet goodbye. And so when th door jingles open she speaks them before looking up, her back to the pair as she pushes into the oven a fresh loaf of rye.

Wiping her hands on her apron, Amalia turns around and stops, the sight of Remi giving her pause. "Remi..."  The last time she saw him was that day, with the Spire Monster defeated at the cost of what she could only assume to be his friend. Now she hesitates, the weight of the strange turn of the world hanging around her, Rory's words and the conflict at the Spire. The desire to hide pulses inside her... But then her eyes fall on the baby, and everything shifts.

"Oh," she gasps, a quiet delight brightening her narrow face. Almost unconsciously she slips around the counter, bending down to look into the child's starlit eyes. "Hello, little child of Vi." Her voice is a singsong coo, and there is wonder in her gaze as she looks up at Remi. Infants are rare in the barrier, and Amalia has always loved children. "What's her name? She is Safrin-touched."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
For a moment the alchemist thinks that perhaps this is a mistake. As his name falls from this relative stranger's lips, he considers making some excuse or another and leaving the deliciously scented place. It is too much all of a sudden, and he doesn't want to answer questions about what happened, how he was feeling, or worse of course, about Ronin.

But then Amalia's eyes are on Aoife, and for a moment Remi is reminded of the dark richness of her gaze. Some might say it is like chocolate, sweet and dark, but of course that isn't it. That's too easy, too obvious. He thinks perhaps it's like a certain kind of tea; inky-water, not quite immediately sweet, but not necessarily an acquired taste either. The sort of thing you'd pine for, if ever you had the chance to taste it

Smiling down at Amalia, Remi realizes that his hands had tensed protectively around the girl, and seeing the unassuming smile of the baker, he relaxes. Perhaps it is something inside of his soul recognizing something inside of hers—the lack of whatever it is that makes men and women awkward around each other, the way her eyes shine for Aoife, the calming smell of her shop—but like his hands, Remi relaxes somewhat.

"Aoife." The alchemist repeats. The sing-song cadence of her name is somewhat dimmed by his accent, but still it sounds like a melody even if the alchemist does not feel like singing. Sweeping his fingers gently over what will soon be a mop of curls, Remi's lips try to rise into a smile. "She is indeed. Safrin protected her even before she was born." He adds trying to make the words soft enough to hide the way his voice wants to shake at the subtle implication of what—who—it was Safrin was unable to protect.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
If Amalia notes the way Remi's hands curl around the girl, she does not mention it. Perhaps there is a part of her which understands, instinctively, that he is wounded, the same as she. Besides, there is a child to focus on, a thing of life and innocence and love, a shield against the darkness which plagues her. Plagues them all, who live in this place.

Raising her fingers in front of the child's face, she wiggles them playfully before those starlit eyes. "Aoife," the young woman repeats quietly, her alto voice accentuating the first syllable, lilting and laughing in a sing-song caress. "A sweet name for a sweet girl, hmm?" Lifting her eyes from the infant at last, she peers at Remi through honey-colored lashes. "How old is she?" She wonders if the infant is ready for solids. There is a recipe her grandmother used to use...

The man who stands there is not her friend. With the rising tension between Outlander and Natural, some might call them adversaries, bastions of the communities which seem so eager to divide. She does not know where he stands on the Spire, if he thinks the barrier ought to fall, if he is Ascended or Abandoned or anything else. She does not know his story, his pain, the scars which litter his body and soul.

But she knows that he is hurting, because they all are, these days. And she knows that he has a life to care for, a life born in the barrier, which makes it all of theirs.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Something inside of Remi simultaneously blooms and wilts as Amalia says Aoife's name. It is a precious thing, her name. One of the only gifts that her mother and father have left her with, and something about that seems worthy of protection. But Amalia says it so sweetly that Remi can't help but be calmed and nod in agreement. "She was born during LongNight." He says, his words soft but their meaning and implication needing no further emphasis.

"I never had the chance to properly introduce myself that first time in the library with the gourds running about." Because of Ludo, Remi no longer remembered that he'd been there to see Loren, to try and speak with the librarian and rekindle what it was which had been doused. Now the alchemist merely remembered the uproar, Loren a blurred imagine in his mind. "But it is nice to meet you properly, without gourds or Spark Birds stealing the show."

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
She was born during LongNight. Amalia cannot help the darkness which crosses her angular face, but it is quickly replaced by a pained look of empathy as she returns her attention to the child. "We share a birthday," she murmurs softly, letting her finger brush across the baby's foot. Glancing at Remi again, her face is sympathetic and curious, but for once she bites her tongue. "My grandmother used to say that babies born in LongNight are sun rays sent to guide us back into spring." She has never believed it, personally, but it was a nice thing to hold onto. "Though I think starlight would be more accurate in your case, hmm?"

Amalia knows something of holding onto history, guarding hardship and trying, trying, always trying to push on.

Rising up reluctantly, Amalia regards the man. Their first meeting had been... strained, to say the least, complicated and challenging with harsh words and raised voices. She is grateful for the chance to start anew, the unspoken forgiveness in his spring-green gaze. "I'm Amalia," she says, then blushes as she realizes he probably knows this already. Stepping back from the pair, she clears her throat and pulls at her apron, suddenly not sure what to do with her hands. "You, ah, came for food- what can I get you today?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"It is a nice thought." The alchemist agrees. In another life he would have been all sunny smiles and easy conversation asking after Amalia's grandmother and what other interesting nuances she can think of. But those were the days when his eyes were only ever heavy with sleep and not anguish. Remi feels almost embarrassed by his sadness, as if he should feel guilt over the way his lips have subtly fallen into a frown. He should try, he supposes, to be cheerful. Things aren't so bad and it isn't like he deserves anything more than what he has. But he is just so very, very sad these days. The best he can do is a small melodic hum of agreement.

"Well it is nice to meet you properly." He reiterates with a small bow, though it is not nearly so deep as it might once have been, partially because Aoife's weight threatens to tug him forward.

"At this point, almost anything will do." Remi replies, a shy and boyish smile twitching at his lips. "From the smell alone I am sure I would enjoy anything that you have made." The compliment lacks the buoyancy and ease that he is used to. Instead it sounds forced, like a line. It isn't though, Remi truly means what he says, but his fractured mind is unfocused and scattered.

Humming wearily, he lowers his lips to the top of Aoife's head, kissing her curls gently as she takes one of his fingers in her small hands and flails it about.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
She flushes, again, beneath the compliment, bowing her head gratefully before looking back up at the man and the child. For a moment she watches in easy silence as Remi kisses the girl's head, his soft hum a melancholy thing that speaks to a promise of happier days. Amalia's smile fades away, replaced by quiet empathy, an almost sisterly care. "Would you like to sit?" she asks, gesturing at the small table which rests at the fore of the shop, unused and inviting, old wooden benches worn from use. Her staff leans on the wall beside it, the luxere horn still bound with rope to the long, unrefined stock of wood. She has been meaning to get it put together properly, but...

Well. Much has happened since then.

Amalia disappears into the back of the shop, and when she returns a few minutes later it is with a sunny smile and a laden tray. Placing the tray upon the table, Amalia removes from it two plates, a knife, a fresh oat loaf, and a collection of preserved fruit. Deftly she begins to slice the bread, her deep voice soft as she works. "My grandmother had a recipe for baby food, if you want it... it was simple, but many of the children in the Hollowed Grounds were raised on it, and we've turned out okay." And she shrugs before leaning down to make a face at Aoife, her eyes crossing and tongue sticking out, lips contorted into a humorous shape.

Then quietly as ever she glances up at Remi, and gestures between the three jars of preserves. "Apple, onion, or berry?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Ah, yes. Thank you." Remi says, sitting contentedly and with ease in the aging and perhaps unappealing bench. A commoner after all, and the lowest of the low in what he used to think of as back home, Remi is unused to fineries, and seems much more content where there is a bit of paint worn away and dust accumulated.

As Amalia returns, Remi watches her with humble and kind eyes. "I would appreciate that. I grew up without siblings and with no close family so my knowledge of raising children is.. .ahh, limited." He added finally with a chuckle. For her part, Aoife punctuated this sentiment with a happy gurgle, her small and chubby fists banging against the wood. As Amalia makes her face, Aoife pauses, starry-eyes wide with wonder. After a moment her lips picker, drool flowing proudly down her chin as she cackles merrily.

"Oh, berry, please." Remi says, glancing up with a boyish smile as his stomach growled in happy anticipation.

"How long have you owned this shoppe?"

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
"I can't say I know much, either," Amalia confesses, a rueful smile stretching across her face. She, too, has no siblings... but she also has no children, so she's behind him in that regard. "You pick it up fast, though. Or so I've been told." She continues to work deftly and swiftly, the bread falling into neat slices beneath the blade of the knife.

Aoife's laugh is like a drug, and Amalia cannot help but giggle in reply, her own sable eyes glittering merrily in response to the starlight child. Nodding in response to Remi's request, the girl pops the lid off the berry preserves, spreading a healthy portion across two slices before presenting them to the Outlander man. For a moment she seems prepared to sit across from him, but something stays her. Hesitant, suddenly bashful, the girl wrings her hands before looking back at Remi, quiet hopefulness in her voice. "Would... would you like me to hold her? While you eat?"

If Remi accepts, she will happily envelop the child in her arms and take a seat across from the alchemist, using her fingers to entertain the girl. Looking up at the young man, she tilts her head thoughtfully, not sure how to answer his inquiry. "Well... my family has owned it for as long as anyone knows, really. But I only opened it back up last year. It closed shortly after my grandmother died." Turning her gaze back to her hands, Amalia swallows, thinking back. Her Nani had always wanted the girl to keep up the shop, after Rishima took off to work in the infirmary, but when the time came Amalia had run away.

She was here now, though. Perhaps that would count for something.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The alchemist could only laugh and shrug. "Trial by fire they say is the best method...but I do feel quite unprepared. But I am glad for the help."

The sight and scent of the jam makes the alchemist's stomach rumble again, saliva forming instantly in his mouth. Moving Aoife onto the side of his knee to try and juggle the girl and his food, Amalia's offer is well-timed, but not necessarily well-met. For a moment Remi looks across at her, dark almond eyes kind and gentle, her posture one that never in a million years would suggest any harm to the child. Instinctively he knows he could overpower her, that he has magic and might on his side, but Aoife is such a precious thing and for a moment he stupidly and stubbornly does not want to let her go.

But of course he's just being silly. Smiling after a moments silence, Remi nods, kissing Aoife's curls and handing her over into Amalia's waiting arms. "I am not used to being protective." He admits, watching Amalia's dexterous fingers delight Aoife's limited gaze.

"I am sorry to hear that." He replies with a gentle smile, picking up the bread and nibbling thoughtfully on it. Having had little family of his own and never any sort of legacy to live under or progress, he can't fully understand what it must be like for Amalia. But Remi is sympathetic and creative by nature, so his capacity for empathy is vast despite his limited experiences. And so while his smile is boyish, it is also understanding and laced with a loving sort of concern.

"Well this—" He murmured, speaking with his mouthful and blushing an appropriate apology for doing so, "—is amazing. So I for one am quite glad that you re-opened." As if echoing his thoughts, Aoife gives a happy crackle of delight, wiggling energetically in Amalia's arms.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
A shadow passes over Remi's face, and for a moment Amalia dims in turn, wishing to recant, to reignite that happy warmth. The moment passes, though, and both of the felines ease a little bit, tensed muscles easing back to smiles. Shyly the baker takes the girl, wrapping her gently in her arms, delight in her face as she looks upon the babe. Taking a seat she faces Aoife forward, so she and Remi can see one another even from afar. "I understand," she says, though in truth she does not: Amalia has had nothing like a child, never loved or cared for something the way Remi must care for this life.

She can only imagine that bond, the way her grandmother would look at her, and her mother, too, at one time. "She is lucky, to be so loved."

Amalia hides her pain in a smile, bowing her head back to look at Aoife as Remi offers condolences. "We are used to losing people, here," she confides quietly, continuing to make finger puppets for the child's entertainment. Her smile brightens as she taps on Aoife's toes, hoping to elicit more laughter from the babe. Looking back at Remi, the baker shyly smiles, pride coloring her cheeks a rosy gold as he compliments her food. "I'll send some home with you," she offers easily. "Where are you living? The Domiciles?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Mmm.." The alchemist murmurs, wishing that there was more love for the star-eyed girl. Wishing he was nothing more to her than a joyful uncle, if only because it would mean her parents were still alive.

With a sideways and forced smile, Remi nods his understanding. "It was like that for us back home too." He says in a low voice, ruffling a hand through his hair and trying not to let his shoulders slump.

Pleased at the change of topic, Remi shakes his head. "Ahh, no. The Monster Hunter's guild." He replies with of a bit of an awkward wince, as of course somehow he is now the leader of this guild, and also quite possibly the worst representative of it. But moving Aoife (and Sugar) seemed like a bad idea, and it wasn't as though his workshop was any better.

And so, exchanging a bit more small talk, eventually Remi takes both Aoife and a small bag full of some of Amalia's treats and prepares to leave. "We will certainly be back. Perhaps I can bring some of my teas and you can tell me what would pair best with your baked goods?" So saying, the alchemist flashed the baker a smile and headed back home.
Coding base by Sky!