Training Keep the faith
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 9 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 40 - Luck: 34 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
Posts: 1,180 | Total: 7,036
MP: 9470
#29
What Maea managed to damage with claws and heat, Hadama regenerated with fresh ice, even as he used his shoulders and bowed head to brace the dome from within. It was not a comfortable defense, but it was an effective one for a short time. The cold bothered him not at all thanks to his passive magic, but he knew enough of Caido's eldest and most recently awakened race to know how uncomfortable the harsh chill would be to an Ancient. And while he would normally have been content to wait the younger woman out, confident in his own stamina...

The night was not young, and he would need to return to the Eye before moonset.

If she had kept her distance he would have had to thin the ice to see her, weakening his shield and putting himself at risk for a counterattack. But she had conveniently placed herself atop the dome, where the heat of her body and the molten metal of her stripes ate into his ice. He could tell from where it needed reinforcement where she was at, and his eyes gleamed sapphire with satisfaction.

Blunted spears of ice suddenly sprouted from the dome as it became a pufferfish rather than a turtle's smooth shell. They were rounded at the tips rather than sharp, punching outward with strength enough to bruise without cutting. Maea would have a moment's warning that something was shifting beneath her before the dome went from defense to offense, and once the heat was no longer pressing down on the shield Hadama would turn it back to water and straighten up, leaning on his trident once more as he considered the molten tiger calmly.

"You are strong enough," he decreed, head held high and ignoring the small gathering of late-night onlookers who stood outside the barrier, pointing at them and whispering like a midsummer chorus of cicadas in the dark.
Reply
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
Posts: 2,860 | Total: 5,571
MP: 1147
#30
MAEA
Sensing the rumble of the ice before it punched up beneath her, the tigress had a split second to move away before it happened. Leaping off, snarling with displeasure at the stalemate, she paced restlessly back and forth until Hadama broke free of his shell and rose up.

And apparently that was it? She hadn't landed a single blow, had not even scratched the surface of his true skills - much like Deimos hadn't needed to even lift a hand when facing her.

Shifting back where she was, the Ancient still had a feral look about her where she crouched on the ground, an elbow on the knee and tail slashing agitated patterns through the air.
"Am I really," she bit back, finding it a queer statement to make when she hadn't achieved anything. "Strong enough for what, exactly?" Dying a slightly less pathetic death than someone who couldn't fight at all?

She wasn't sure where the simmering anger came from, but Maea suspected it stemmed from disappointment in herself. She really had thought she would be stronger than this.
Lost in a world full of non-believers
Searching for smoke in a still water pond
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Reply
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 9 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 40 - Luck: 34 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
Posts: 1,180 | Total: 7,036
MP: 9470
#31
Hadama was unperturbed by the lashing of tails or the temperamental growls that emerged from the Ancient. He considered her calmly, emerald eyes gleaming in the moonlight that reflected off the shattered ice and pooled water around them. True, she had not landed a blow on him. But neither had she allowed him the chance to launch any attacks of his own until the very end. She had used her weapon and her shift well, and was clearly no stranger to combat.

In short, she could be dangerous when she put her mind to it.

'Strong enough to be a threat," he rumbled, standing tall and dismissing the witnesses around them without a single look or word, but by the simple expedient of ignoring them. As the show appeared to be over the little group began to disperse, muttering and chattering animatedly as they did so. "If you are overtaken by the Void." And not nearly so easy to 'put down' as she had seemed to think earlier.
Reply
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
Posts: 2,860 | Total: 5,571
MP: 1147
#32
MAEA
Far too intent upon the mer king to even notice the crowd, Maea didn't spare the stragglers as much as a glance even when they disappeared. Numbing cold did register in her limbs, but in the balmy Longheat night it was of little concern; even dampened from icy residue, the pavement was comfortable beneath her hand and the thaw seeped through her veins with every heartbeat.

Pale eyes drained of all color by the waning moonlight lingered on Hadama. Narrowing at what seemed a roundabout way of saying she shouldn't do what she was planning, protests rose to her tongue, only to be swallowed back down again. Eventually a faint snort issued from her, and in a fluid motion the petite Ancient stood up and tucked her hands away in the deep pockets of her coat.

"I'll just have to avoid being overtaken, then, won't I," she told him, with a crooked smile. "I'll fill you in if I find out anything useful... as a thanks for the concern." Irony colored her tone; she couldn't believe it more than a passing worry, given that they hardly knew each other. But it was a nice sentiment, so why not. She didn't mind sharing.
Lost in a world full of non-believers
Searching for smoke in a still water pond
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Reply
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 9 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 40 - Luck: 34 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
Posts: 1,180 | Total: 7,036
MP: 9470
#33
He did not offer her a hand up. She was fully capable, and he would not demean her skills by implying otherwise. Then, too, was the awareness that she might well try to continue the fight, and Hadama was disinclined to lower his guard and take that risk. He had not been lying when he said that she was strong, and it was a strength that he respected. But he did not know her well enough to be able to gauge her next move, and so he held himself relaxed and confident but not too close.

She gained her feet quite ably without his intervention, as it turned out. And her own confidence was no less than his own. He met her eyes squarely even as she smiled and reiterated her decision, leaving Hadama no other alternative. He inclined his head in acknowledgment - if not acceptance - a second time, though her offer was met with a pragmatic hum of gratitude. "Mmn. It is appreciated."

He glanced up to check the position of the moon and stars, then back to Maea once more. The Longheat nights were far too short, however pleasant the temperature in Stormbreak this time of year. "Will you walk with me back to the Eye?"
Reply
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
Posts: 2,860 | Total: 5,571
MP: 1147
#34
MAEA
Fortunately for the both of them, Hadama didn't say more about Maea's planned experiments, and she accepted his silence without demanding any further support - after all, she had never asked for permission, so why would she require his approval? Finding herself in a peculiar mood, mercurial and torn between pleasure at her own independence and a petulant wish to hear someone - anyone - express concern for her safety, it was hard to swallow the desire to snap back at the man. Maybe it was hunger. Maybe dregs of battle rage simmering in her veins, still. Maybe she would go hunting. Escorting Hadama to a body of water would be a good excuse to leave the Temple; she nodded, and collected her weapon from the ground with a swipe of the prehensile tail.

Toying with the chakram as they walked, she kept the pace slow enough that the mer wouldn't have trouble keeping up. For a time she was silent, sucking on sharp fangs until her tongue sored and the taste of metal grew too strong.
"It has been nice. Having someone to talk to," she murmured eventually. Not quite soft, but very honest; as was her way around recent acquaintances. "Would you mind... if I keept in touch anyway - even if I don't find anything?"
Lost in a world full of non-believers
Searching for smoke in a still water pond
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Reply
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 9 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 40 - Luck: 34 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
Posts: 1,180 | Total: 7,036
MP: 9470
#35
He had expressed his concern in his own way, subtle but stalwart in his preference to see no one put at risk by the strange creatures of the Void. But he respected the independence of others, and did not pretend to know their strengths and weaknesses better than they did. If Maea said she could handle it, then he would trust her until consequences proved otherwise.

And she was acting not unlike Kaiden in certain ways, at least at the moment. Opposing her plan would only cause the stubborn Ancient to dig her heels in further and make her less willing to listen to whatever voice of reason might whisper in her ear at the eleventh hour and delay her decision to put herself at risk.

With their weapons retrieved and the ice barricade now melting under the warmth of a Longheat night, Hadama set a slow but steady pace through the quiet but well-lit streets. "It is welcome," he assured her, glancing over to the petite woman with the pale horns, his trident tapping quietly on the cobbles with every other step. "A visit. Or a letter." He didn't smile, but there was a slight crinkling at the corners of his eyes, perhaps hidden in the nightdark. "How long will you stay in Stormbreak?"
Reply
Maea Valair
Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
Posts: 2,860 | Total: 5,571
MP: 1147
#36
MAEA
Quickly glancing at Hadama, her eyes returned in a quick double take when his reply came so quickly and easily. Maea felt that she had been difficult tonight. Talking about subjects that shouldn't concern her, sticking her nose into leadership business, planning dangerous experiments and then going so far as to duel in a city that was famous for it's apprehension of magic. All in all, not a very charming display. But perhaps mer had other ways to measure such things. Or perhaps Hadama har peculiar tastes.

She didn't mind, really. It was just strange to be accepted without being asked to change.

"Letters, sure. Visit... we'll see." A flash of teeth in the garhering dark revealed her awkward smile. "I won't be here long, I don't think. Need to get home, somehow, and then... not sure. I asked Danta for a job. Maybe he has something for me to do, maybe not."  A new glance at Hadama took in his legs and the measured strides, recalling unnecessarily that he wouldn't be returning to a house as the thought of it.

"Where do you live, more exactly? In case I do drop by?" She imagined it was difficult to surprise a King, but it would be boring to not at least try.
Lost in a world full of non-believers
Searching for smoke in a still water pond
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


RPG-D