Stitches and Buttons
Open to Fae
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Jiao had heard rumours about the barrier, about new people beginning to wander into the Greatwood and Outlanders practically falling from the sky. She would definitely have to go and check it all out later. But for the moment there was a dress to be working on. Something for her to wear when she went to greet those who had been stuck in the Hallowed Grounds.

It had to be lush, beautiful. Something that would make them say wow, I just met a Fae girl and she was gorgeous. She had selected fabric with a green-blue tinge that came out in the light, a thin lace around the edges in a pale gold. It would form a skirt then she could find something perhaps in a darker blue to create bodice, golden stitching detailing the whole thing. She held up the fabrics to the light and smiled to herself, pleased with her progress so far.

The door was held open with a large stone from the forest, letting in a light Flowerbirth breeze as she worked and making it clear the shop was open for customers. She had surprisingly few orders at the moment, allowing her to work on her own things. While she liked the joy of her own projects the shop was there to take offers and she glanced out the door when she heard passers by, hoping they might want a new dress or waistcoat or anything else.
Jiao
And the bittersweet of every new defeat
Is I'm stronger than before
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Ianto
A shadow fell across the doorway that was, quite frankly, far too low for his liking, Ianto having to stoop a little just to grin in at the seamstress of the village. "Jiao," he greeted, arching a coppery brow in admiration of what she was working on, tilting his head and seeming visibly impressed. "My dear, if I had the legs for that outfit I daresay I'd be asking to wear it myself," he said, the silver on his tongue as bright as ever today.

"I wondered if I might trouble you for a few bits and pieces? And some repair work, if possible?" He lifted an arm to show where the seam along the sleeve of his coat had begun to fray. Ianto was rarely seen without the thing, mainly because it contained so many hidden pockets that it was likely a magical item in itself.

Coding base by Sky!
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Jiao turned to smile at Ianto as he entered, glad to finally see a customer. And she liked the man; he always had good stories and she found him to be interesting, not dull and boring like the rest of the people from outside of Sidhe. "I haven't seen your legs. Maybe you could." She smiled back to him, holding up the dress as if seeing how it would look on his frame.

"What are the bits and pieces?" She asked as she stood up from her chair, airily stepping over to look at the fraying coat sleeve. Nothing she couldn't fix, even though she thought the coat was rather ugly (Ianto could wear so much better). "I can fix this. Take it off, I'll do it now. I'll work out a price when you tell me what else you want."

Tugging at the sleeve, once she got the coat in her hands she would go to find a spool of thread (a shiny gold, she decided on. Why have subtle fixes when you could have sparkle?) and a needle, crouched on her chair to begin adding neat, almost surgical stitching to the sleeve.
Jiao
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Ianto
"Well, you are the seamstress. Your eye is a thousand times better than mine." Ianto grinned, striking a pose as he spotted Jiao holding up the dress as if to see if it would suit him. He adjusted the pose to let her inspect the fray in his sleeve, smiling at her confirmation that she could fix it (he had never had a doubt). Surrendering it happily, he moved to sink down into one of the chairs to admire some of her handiwork on display.

"I'd like a new cravat, if you would, in the deepest blue you might find. And a waistcoat to match. Also a scarf, for when Longheat is over." He smiled, as though the items were things he had just plucked out of his head. "Oh... and a shawl. For the lady Arduinna."

Coding base by Sky!
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Mhm. If everyone listened to me, they'd be sooooo much better dressed." Jiao insisted as she began to sew, her lips curved up with amusement even though it was only half a joke (which is why she could say it. It was, to her, the truth). The fray slowly disappeared as her stitches brought it closer together and bonded the two edges, little golden crosses the only evidence that there had been a rip at all.

His new requests made her laugh. "A cravat? Gosh, okay. If you start a new style, maybe I'll get some business." While she wasn't sure how she felt about Fae parading around in cravats, it would certainly be good to have something new to produce for Sidhe.

"For Lady Arduinna, too...so how are you going to pay me, Ianto?" She asked with a cheeky smile on her face, crossing her legs and sticking her tongue out as she finished the last tricky edge stitches on his frayed coat sleeve.
Jiao
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
Relaxed in his seat, Ianto watched Jiao as she worked once he'd admired her wares, a small smile on his face as the tear in his sleeve disappeared before his eyes. "You've made it even more appealin' than before, as well as functional," he remarked, tipping her a wink. "I knew bringin' this to you would be a good idea."

Ianto was less a trend-setter and more a man who knew what he liked, so if he managed to start one for Jiao it would be pure coincidence. Either way, though, he knew she would do an excellent job on both the cravat and the waistcoat. The shawl, though, would be the real test of her skill. Luckily (or perhaps misguidedly) Ianto trusted the work in her hands.

"How indeed can I repay such fine stitchwork?" he mused aloud, his tone suggesting that he already knew exactly what he had in mind. "The next time my Wishing Wagon rolls through, you may have your pick of the items. How does that sound?"

Coding base by Sky!
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Of course. I'm the best seamstress in Sidhe. Don't ever believe what Olivia tells you." Jiao pulled a face, grumpy at the thought of her rival seamstress (who ryan just invented). Still, she was glad Ianto was pleased with the work, especially since it had taken her so little time; if only everyone was so easy to please.

Ianto offered her an item from his wishing wagon. Jiao hummed as she stood up to go and look at her fabrics, select one for his cravat. "Hmmm. With that wagon...where do you get everything for it? Is it just stuff you have anyway? Can't you just give me something now? Debts aren't good because I can't hold them in my hands." This simple statement held most of Jiao's ideals within, the desire for immediate material goods overpowering potential later improved gains.

"But I guess just this once, it'll do. Red or gold or green?"
Jiao
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
"My dear, why would I ever believe Olivia?" Ianto echoed, though the vitriol sounded musical coming from his lips. His smile was broad and he nodded respectfully across at her. "I came to you first because I know you're the best," he said simply, shrugging his shoulders. Her questions about his Wishing Wagon turned his smile crooked, the fox relaxing back and itching at the coppery stubble on his chin.

"Everything I sell is made or found by my godmother," he murmured, eyes lighting up at her apparent generosity. "I'll be sure to stock some particularly interestin' items, then. Just for you." Winking, he rose to his feet and stretched. "Hm? Oh - gold, if you'd be so kind. It'll match the stitchwork on my sleeve."

Coding base by Sky!
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"That's right." Jiao nodded, glad that Ianto understood what a mistake it would be to go to Olivia for his clothing needs. The girl didn't know a loop stitch from a back stitch and had no fashion sense whatsoever.

She smiled a little to herself as he mentioned his Godmother. "You mean you'll ask mummy to stock in some nice things for you?" While the question was teasing, a little cruel perhaps, there was nothing malicious in her tone, a joking curve in her lips.

When he chose the gold she nodded and took it over to a table with a board and knife, began to make cuts at measurements she seemed to somehow instinctively know, with nothing marked out but her slices still precise and neat, cutting the cloth into a neat square, ready for work.

"Do you think you could sell some of my work at your wagon..?" She asked as the thought suddenly came to her, looking back to Ianto with a smile.
Jiao
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
Jiao's remark about his godmother might not have been malicious, but the teasing cruelty was not missed by the fox. Ianto's smile grew a touch sharp, an expression more fey than not, and he shrugged his shoulders casually.

"Nice, nasty, that isn't for me to decide. You'll just have to take your pick and see what lands in your lap," he said, meandering over after her as she worked, mainly so he could look over her shoulder and be something of a nuisance. He was rather good at it.

"I don't think I can. I'm certain of it. Your work is outstandin', I'm sure it would sell very well." Ianto smirked at her. "But what's in it for me?" Two could play this game.

Coding base by Sky!
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

Jiao did notice the way that Ianto's look changed, smiled to herself about it; she had always liked to wind people up. Not too far, not enough it became a problem, but enough that she could laugh about it later.

"Hhhmm. Do you ever give people awful curses? Necklaces with ghosts, dresses that make you ugly, that kind of thing?" She wondered out loud. She could think of some people she'd like to give those kinds of things to.

He promised to be able to sell his work, but wanted something in return. Well of course, he was a dealer in every sense. Jiao made a show of thinking about it, tapping a finger to her chin as she tied a knot one-handed, a skill she'd learnt many sewing projects ago. "How about...we work out a way to split the profits, or whatever it is you get...? What do people even give you?"
Jiao
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
"Yes," Ianto said, simultaneously cryptic and blatant, and the smile did not leave his lips. He did indeed sell all sorts of awful and cursed items - well, not cursed per say, but certainly the sort of items where one would be scraping the bottom of the magical barrel.

Her offer was intriguing indeed, Ianto nodding in consideration and rubbing at the stubble on his chin. "That might work. Though you would not be splitting the profits with me - you'd be splitting them with Arduinna. Let's see how well she likes the shawl you make her, then we'll discuss you selling at the Wishing Wagon."

For once there was no hint of a chance that Ianto might be negotiated with, and the fox let out a musical laugh at Jiao's question. He shrugged. "Anything and everything. A story, a favour, an item, money, a promise, a secret... There's nothing worthless in this world, my dear."

Coding base by Sky!
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

Jiao grinned at the revealing that yes, Ianto did sell curses. Did he tell his customers beforehand, she wondered, or was he truly a trickster, an evil wizard? That would make him rather more exciting, she thought.

"Mmmm, okay. Arduinna isn't super popular around here at the minute, you know." She mused, placing a neat hem around the edge of the cravat and fastening it in with pins, then selecting a rusty brown thread for the stitches. "Maybe don't go around telling people she's to do with you...or do. I guess it depends who you speak to. Personally I think Delah and the council are huge drama queens."

Ianto said he would trade for anything. Jiao would never give away some of her hard work for a story, but not everyone was as smart as she was. "I dunno...what if the stories are bad? You can't get food or lodging with a secret, either. Secrets are just about worthless once more people know them."
Jiao
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
"Arduinna doesn't care," Ianto assured Jiao airily, speaking as though he knew for a fact what lay in the wild fae's thoughts. At least when it came to this. "And I'm sure they already know. It's not every day that someone like me strolls into the Sidhe Village now, is it? Well... don't answer that. I know it's been much more common as of late." He smirked.

Shrugging, the fox leant back against the wall and arched an eyebrow down at the work she was doing on his cravat. He didn't seem bothered by a bad deal; he usually found himself in over his head with debt regardless. "There's no such thing as a bad story. And it isn't the secret that's important, my dear. It's the person who told it to you." He winked, brushing a lock of hair out of his face. "How long do you think it will take to make everything?"

Coding base by Sky!