Having a Wander
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Jiao
Your clothes never wear as well the next day
And your hair never falls in quite the same way
You never seem to run out of things to say

Well. After her adventure to the Oasis and meeting with Are, Jiao was feeling distinctly unimpressed with the place that had once been contained within the barrier. Perhaps the block had been put there to save the Fae from limitless boredom, she mused to herself. Deciding she didn't want to talk to anyone else in there for the rest of the day she began to head home, stepping lightly on slippered feet and every so often gliding forward, dropping back down when she ran out of energy.

Even the trees here seemed less alive. Jiao stopped briefly by a tree in the woodland just to look at it, truly take in it's dullness. Trees by Sidhe were huge, historic, with emerald green leaves and complex whirls in the bark. Trees here were tall and grey and boring. She let her fingertips trace down the ugly bark, chewing at her lip as she wondered how anyone could live with such depressing greenery.

Maybe...she could help them? The people here would probably more cheerful if they had a little sparkle in their lives. Reaching into her pocket she pulled out a charm, a few beads and rocks on a string adorned with bent metal and painted wood; an item that sang with tradition and a sort of bohemian beauty.

Holding the charm up in one hand she flitted about the tree, trying to see where it would best hang. Perhaps if people began to see them they would know they could be something other than functional, as Are had put it.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Age: 27 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Zoa Offline
Change author:
KILLIAN
The outskirts had become a common place to find Killian, after a day of exploring the settlement areas and hoping to stumble upon some work, he would often go for a walk. One of the things he missed about his world was definitely the nature. While most of the time he was made to stay in the capital, on the occasions in which he'd leave the land beyond was lively - with meadows of wildflowers and fields of golden wheat, groves of trees sprinkled here and there.

The glade was similar in radiance, so he usually went there for his walks, though today he was feeling more up for a hike. The woodlands here were a little darker than those he was used to, but the birdsong was the same, as he walked his honey brown eyes followed a warbler as she flitted to a nest. He wondered what it was like to fly, weightless upon a passing breeze. From what he'd learned of this place, shifters like him could become more than one animal. If he ever gained a new shift, he hoped that it would have wings.

Speaking of wings, through the trees a flash of iridescence caught his eye. Curiosity's eager palms pushed him towards it, until he'd closed the distance enough to see that the shimmer belonged to a woman. A very small woman, with beautiful translucent wings hung something sparkly from the branches of a spindly grey tree. He'd heard of the winged folk before, but hadn't expected to see one out of the Greatwood. And hearing about them was not seeing them. Killian's eyes widened, staring at her in awe for a moment before stating dumbly, "Hey."

baby baby don’t be so shy
rock children hold your heads up high
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jiao

Jiao was so involved in her task she did not hear or see Killian approach, her first awareness of his presence coming when she heard him speak. She turned to look at him with a jump, wings flitting her upwards and away just a little; she calmed down after she saw him though. He hardly looked threatening and appropriately, seemed to be in awe of her.

"Hello!"" She greeted back in return, swooping in close to look him over. Prettier than the last one, she thought. Jiao had wanted to be alone on her trip back, but now that she had someone before her she actually found herself excited to talk to one of the strange folk from inside the barrier again.

"Are you amazed by me?" She asked with a laugh, twirling. "I bet you've never seen a Fae before."
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian stumbled back just a little when the fae fluttered closer to him, somehow surprised at how quickly and eagerly she had approached. A smile tugged at his lips when she greeted him in such a friendly manner, and as she looked him over he did the same. Honey brown eyes wandered over her figure, her clothes, her eyes, though they kept going back to those wings.

Laughter peeled from the fae's lips, free and easily. She seemed very bubbly, and Killian liked her already. "No," he said, then paused and realized how that didn't sound right, and with an embarrassed wide eyed look and his hands raised in front of his chest he corrected, "No to I've never seen a fae before. Not that your not amazing, cause you are. Amazing." Ouch he was really stumbling now, his freckled cheeks grew hot and he let out an awkward chuckle.

"I'm Kiki," he said after a beat, hoping maybe she'd forget about what he’d just said.

Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao

No? No????? The shock on Jiao's face was clear at Killians apparent gall, her lips moving to try and form the correct combination of words to communicate just how offended she was. But then he saved it and she placed a hand to her chest, huffed out a dramatically relieved huff of air. Of course he was amazed.

"Thanks. You look...good..too." She ventured, speaking mildly so she wouldn't lie. Killian did look good, better than Are anyway...even if he wasn't quite at her level. "I'm Jiao. If you're going to ask for a way through the forest, it's a no. It's all...weird at the moment, and I shouldn't take anyone through." Nibbling anxiously at a nail (a habit she wanted to stop but which always resurfaced) she looked about.

"What's it like being in the...well, there's no barrier anymore, but...in this place?"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
The fae was visibly offended by Kiki's fumble, it was definitely not the best start but he hoped a little charm and friendliness could mend it. Her resolved huff brought a relieved smile to his lips, though his cheeks were still a little rosy. Her response to his kerfuffle felt a little ingenuine - he looked good? "Thank you," maybe? Definitely uncertainty, was laced in his voice, and his hand went to run through his hair.

Anyway she introduced herself as Jiao, then before he even had a chance to contemplate it put a stop to exploring the wildwood. It's all... weird at the moment, Killian wondered what that might mean, and how much weirder a forest that spits people back out can get, but didn't remark on it. "Understood, no forest then, cool," he replied with a nod.

"Uhh," Jiao's next question wasn't really something he could answer, having only been here a couple weeks. But he had to say something, "well I just got here actually. Got dumped in the woods somewhere. But uh it's pretty ok." Unsure of what else to say on the matter, and definitely not the best source of information for the fae, Kiki glanced around her back at the charm she'd been hanging.

"What's that for?" he asked, purely curious.

Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao

"Mhm. No forest." She echoed, glad that this one wasn't going to bug her about it. It seemed to be all the people here wanted, a free trip into Sidhe; Jiao didn't really know why because she didn't consider it all that exciting.

Only been here a couple of weeks? ...Oh. An Outlander. Jiao did not hold the same hatred in her heart as other Fae, not quite, but she definitely had a distaste for the visitors. They had no reason to be here, were definitely something from the "New Gods", if you could even call that thing a God. She did not say anything to Killian but there was a clear hardness to her look now, a hesitation.

He asked her a question and she considered the answer, unsure of how much to say. "It's for good luck...but really, it's because it looks pretty." She shrugged, and trying to get the subject off of the charm, looked him up and down. While she was wary of him now she knew he was an Outlander, she could not help her curiosity. "So what is it like where you come from?"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian noticed the pause in the fae when he told her that he'd arrived only recently, a sudden sharpness to her gaze now. Shit, what'd he said wrong now? "Sorry," he said after he finished telling her about his situation and had received that hard look. What he was apologizing for he didn't know - for the lack of information he had to share, or for something else entirely.

She answered his question about the hanging bauble with some hesitancy, still he was unaware as to what had inspired it. He nodded as she explained, "I like it," was his simple response.

The fae's dark eyes wandered over him once more, and she asked what it was like where he was from. Everybody always wanted to know that, it was a question he'd gotten used to being the new outlander on the block. "My world is kind of like this one. We had our own gods and nations, but we didn't have anything like you," he said, with a quick gesture to her wings, "and everything seemed a little brighter there, this place is kind of grayish."

"But hey, there was also a war about to start on my world, so I don't mind a little gray compared to that," he said with a shrug and a playful smile.

Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao

Killian apologised for being an Outlander, which she found curious. It wasn't like an apology was going to make him not an intruder here. She supposed it was nice on principle, though, though she suspected he had no idea what he was actually saying sorry for.

He described this world as 'greyish', which she could hardly argue with; as far as she'd seen it really was very dingy outside of the woods. It seemed without the influence of the Fae, the landscape only grew flowers in the shades of mud and sewage.

"A war?" Suddenly she seemed interested, floating down to sit cross-legged on the roots of the tree. "What over? Why? Were you gonna fight in it?"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
There was a sudden barrage of questions, all regarding the war of nations. Over the past few weeks he'd gotten far more comfortable opening up about his world, it seemed so long ago that he was in it. Instead of awaking in a foggy daze believing this world to be a dream, he was beginning to have moments, brief ones, when he'd forget that his old life wasn't just that - a dream. It was a little troubling, as he never wanted to dismiss where he came from, but it was a part of moving on. Things would begin to feel like history, instead of reality, and things would fade.

Jiao floated down rather gracefully to sit on the roots of a tree, settled as though ready for a tale. Kiki plopped himself down on the ground too, not caring about how the leaf litter would cling to his clothes, and criss crossed his legs. "So my nation was called Regne du Jour, and on my world the gods all split up the world into their own domains, so Regne du Jour is under the domain of the sun goddess Soleil," he started, with his usual hand gestures to move the tale along.

"Soleil is usually a pretty chill goddess, we aren't in nearly as many wars as some of the other nations with aggressive gods. She's powerful too, so lots of them don't mess with her. But she has a twin brother right? Named Lune? He's the moon god, and they don't get along great. Apparently because Soleil wants the night, and Lune wants the day, I don't really know it's all just god stuff," he said, pausing to see if Jiao was still interested.

"Anyway there are these two minor gods, Aube and Soir, who keep Soleil and Lune apart for the majority of the year, but every so often they're allowed to meet. Usually nothing too bad happens, but this last time it did. And of course they wanted their nations to fight it out for them, and that's how we ended up at war." He finished with a shrug, the affairs of deities had always frustrated him. If they were so powerful, why couldn't they just figure it out themselves, and not involve the people who already do so much for them?

"I didn't want to fight, at all, but I was going to have to. But you know," he said with a shrug and a gesture up towards the heavens, and whatever brought him here to Caido.

Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao

Jiao was a little surprised by how willing Killian was to sit down and lay his world's violent history bare, having found that often people were put off by her curiosity. But she was glad to listen and sat with her knees drawn up, watching him speak with an intensity that was not usual in most people.

Gods...splitting up territory rather than just areas of power was alien to her, an odd idea. That the Divine could be so interested in mortal land as to divide it up...it seemed almost comically silly. If Safrin came down and tried to take a chunk of land for herself, Jiao couldn't imagine what it would be like. This idea, and the promise of a story of war, kept her listening.

"Huh. Why didn't you just tell the Gods no? If all of you did, then they'd have no people left if they killed you all." She stated this as if it were amazingly simple, something plain and obvious that Killian should have tried right away. "Or...are you actually that loyal? What do you think of the Gods here?"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian could definitely agree, he found the gods very silly, and fickle and strange. He'd never understood their ways that much, and hadn't felt that same undying loyalty that many did. Which was ironic considering he was chosen and everything, and while he did have a special bond with the sun goddess, that didn't mean he approved of the divine as a whole. What were the gods doing for mortals after all? Other than making sure the summers were hot and dry and the winters cold and dark? The gods of his world were definitely different than those here, their stories following more of the Grecian style than the cosmic. But a deity was a deity no matter what world, and though many press to believe that they follow their divine orders because of their devotion to the beauty of it all, most motivation came from the fear of what might happen if they didn't.

After his quick recap, he was faced with a question that he would've thought was a joke if not for how serious she seemed about it. He himself wasn't afraid of the gods, hence his lack of motivation to do what they asked. But getting that many people to agree and risk their lives seemed impossible. He did chuckle a little, scratching the back of his head as he replied, "Uhh I don't know, not everybody would be ok with that. Most people where I'm from believe in them and wouldn't think to go against them. Yeah I don't think that'd soar too smoothly," he said.

Jiao asked next what he thought of the gods here, "I mean they aren't super different. I think they govern differently but they're just as prone to having conflict, they locked some old magic lady in a big barrier right?" he said, not meaning to sound that nonchalant about it, but he'd only been here a short time and had forgotten that it was such a recent event to the people here. "That's just from what I've heard though, I haven't met any of them. But I've heard good things too, and I think gods everywhere are a bit of good and bad," he finished with a soft smile to the fae.

Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao

Jiao wrinkled up her nose at Killian's answer to her first question, confusion written on her face. She had never been one for unquestioning loyalty, for having many personal ties that did not benefit herself. What was the point of following a God to your death just because you liked them? At least the man before her didn't seem to be quite so stupid. "...Well, they should have thought more about it."

"Old magic lady?!" Jiao tittered, giggling at the description of The Voice. "She's not old. She's young and stupid and thinks she's as good as the other Gods, when she isn't. She should've stayed locked up."

Killian's optimism was fascinating to her. No one else within the barrier had been in such good spirits. "So are you gonna try to talk to them? Or do something else? What's your thing?"