[SE] You, and you, and nothing but you
For Rexanna <3
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN
Thankfully, the mark on Rexanna's neck did not claim her life, nor did Bastien find himself trapped away from her by misplaced blame. In fact she healed quickly, much to his delight, could sit up and talk and walk in hardly any time at all. For the first time in Caido he had to blink back tears as he saw her smile at him, as he knew she was okay.

"I hear there is a dance coming up. A great festival. If you are well, we must go." He had told her one evening as he sat by her bedside (he had moved her to her own home after a night at Phoebe's had proven enough to make her stable, but had stayed to make sure she was alright), stroking her hair with a soft hand.

And by the time Fiat Lux did come, Rexanna was recovered enough to walk with him, hand in hand to the fields. The soft orange glow of lamps guided them to the night-time festival grounds, the sight so beautiful that Bastien laughed with joy at the sight of it, squeezed her hand.

He saw the people dancing the middle of the festival, heard the music, felt at home. "How do we feel about dancing, cara? Is it too much? I must warn you I am quite the ferocious dancer." Bastien placed a hand on his chest as if he was confessing something shocking here, his eyes closed and a smile on his face.
I am still waiting for the visions
Possession has yet to take hold of me
We all want to burn on a pyre
So tell me what kind of witch are you
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
in the haze of hell i have dreamt
that you'd lift this wing and see,
that you are my first wound —
As it turns out, Rexanna had begun to think Bastien was more like a mother hen than someone to be worried about. He fussed over her, encouraged her when needed, told her to stop pushing herself when she reached the edge of her abilities while she healed. But Rexanna was much like a child when it came to being cooped up, and soon the woman was growing somewhat restless. So when Bastien had mentioned the festival, Fiat Lux, she was overjoyed with the idea of coming, in fact the grin on her face was lit with all the possibilities of what might come with the staple of Flowerbirth. And besides, she had banners to bring for the event, things she had made for the hope of sharing with others. It became a goal that Rexanna would use to get well enough to go, and quickly. And she had.

When it came, she had gathered the banners she had made — gifts for the festival to be given to Jigano and Rory after, small decorations that she had created while spending time with friends and soaking up the sunlight (something Rexanna dearly missed), but she didn’t mind when Bastien took her to the Festival in the evening. It was still beautiful regardless of time or day, and she could nearly squeal with delight at the lights and brilliant colors that enveloped Fiat Lux. When Bastien squeezed her hand, she squeezed back with a huge grin along her face, uncertain of what to do first! As they approached, however, the music began to grow and she could see people dancing in the light of the lanterns. Oh, she most certainly wanted to dance.

Her head swiveled to Bastien as he questioned her, asking if she wanted to dance but becoming that protective carer yet again. She laughed and flashed him a roguish grin. “You are a mother hen.” She accused, but it didn’t stop the gleam of happiness that glimmered in her eyes as she slipped in front of him. “I would love to!
and that long ago,
in some distant past, with open eyes
i kissed you till it bled.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
"Just making sure you will not keel over mid-spin, il mio amore. It might shock the other dancers, and not in the way I intend to." Bastien laughed easily, though mother hen or not he really was worried about her. He did not often care for people enough to find himself distressed at the thought of their being hurt and now that he did, he felt it keenly and intensely. He felt a need to protect Rexanna, to go out and find those who would hurt her and bend them to their knees for apologies.

Perhaps it was because he couldn't go into the past and make those who had hurt her in the past suffer for their crimes. Couldn't find that husband of hers and let him know just what he'd done slowly and painfully.

But if she said she could dance, who was he to doubt her? Besides, he would never be able to resist her smile. Leading her to the dancing area he waited a moment for the current song to end then stepped in, going right to the center. It was where they belonged, after all. As the music began again, he began by raising his arm for her to spin, standing with confidence by her, chest pulled up and his legs gracefully positioned under him.

"I suppose you will not know the tango?" He asked (though really the music was not appropriate anyway). "Let us make up our own dance! And try not to step on any toes."
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
She flashed him an almost hurt look, in a joking, taunting manner as he spoke of her keeping over before she laughed it off. “Come on, I haven’t felt this good in weeks!” She replied, batting her long dark lashes at him entertained. “A bit of moving does the body good, yes?” She grinned, flashing a wink before following him toward the dance floor. He had done well, done an amazing job with her. She had never had someone so caring about how she was, how she could overexert herself or harm herself in some way. It was a strange feeling, like being watched but it softened with the haze of love and kindness. And where if she did something he didn’t like, it wouldn’t be punishment aside from a conversation. She could hear him say it, a snicker of an “I told you so” followed by “let’s go to bed”.

And she thought she could get used to it.

She stood before him in the center of the dance floor, eyes on him as his chest puffed out and looked positively like a statue that could be set with a title of something like “first dance”. And she smiled, a wide grin, to him as she took his hand and twirled, spinning enough to cause the bottom half of her dress to billow out briefly before it fell against her pale legs again. And as he questioned her, her head tilted briefly before shaking her head. “I don’t, no.” She offered quietly, willing to learn over time in the bottom half of her home, swirling and twirling about him with the cover of lanterns. But he mentioned making up their own and she gave him a pointed look. “I think the only one that needs that warning is you.” She jokes with a wink, taking his hand in one and placing her other hand along his shoulder, by his neck where she gently brushed her fingers along the strong pillar of his neck.

Then, as if she started to lead, she stepped back with him before turning them slightly and stepping toward him in the start of a different, more fast paced kind of ballroom dance that they could improvise as they went. She didn’t know where she was going with it yet, but if Bastien wanted to take the lead too, she’d let him. She knew their combined efforts would create something unique, and she was excited for it.
and that long ago,
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"When you say things like that I almost think you're flirting with me, cara." Bastien laughed, winking at her. He could certainly think of some ways for them to move to do their bodies good, but he would not mention them until she did, wanting to be sure she was healed and ready first (and besides, he wanted to ask Remi for help with a...certain aspect of it).

As he knew she would she happily agreed to dance with him, to make up their own movements and just see what happened; her spontaneity and artistic soul matched his and every time he was reminded of that he was thrilled, gleeful that she felt the same way about him as he did her. "Rexanna, if I were to allow a stray foot to hurt your precious toes, I would stone myself before the whole village!" He declared in a giddy voice as they began to move in earnest.

Rexanna went to lead them and he let her gladly, following her steps. He was not a poor dancer, having spent years performing and acting in the streets, but he was not quite as neat as his partner. It was clear he was used to covering up mistakes with charisma, which he did well but under the eyes of a trained dancer would be clear. "You are a natural, doing our guild proud!" Bastien told her in a moment where they were close, his mouth by her ear.

As the music picked up he broke the ordered dance for a moment by lifting her up in the air and spinning her, laughing with Rexanna held in his arms (steadily, still conscious of her injury, holding her at her waist rather than legs) and without fully realising, moving to the middle of the dance.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
So what if I am?” She tossed back at him as he winked to her, giddy with the possibilities and the enchantment of Fiat Lux. The entirety of the festival seemed incredible, from the smell of the food that wafted over, the many people dancing and laughing and enjoying. It certainly beat the long darkness of horror and terrible things that was Longnight. And it seemed to be a true party of life and love and wonderful things! If she had to pick a celebration from those she had experienced here thus far, Fiat Lux was the one. She didn’t think it possible that it could be outdone!

Bastien spoke again in response to her quip of toe stepping and she gave him a mock horrified look, a hand drifting to her mouth briefly to be just as dramatic as Bastien’s antics were. “Bastien!” She giggled. “How will you ever get better if you go and do that?” She tilted her head as her hands moved toward him and they began to dance, a small huff of laughter on her lips. She could tell as they moved that he did have experience; he had told her he was a performer before, and she wondered what kinds of dancing there was in Venice that he would have taken part in. Most importantly, she wanted to know what a tango was. But this time, it was their own dance, and she moved with him with ease as he praised her. A grin cascaded along her face as they moved, though he likely wouldn’t see from where his breath raked along her ear.

She was surprised, however, when the music picked up and he began to lead. She hadn’t expected him leading would involve her feet off the ground, but she didn’t complain. It was exhilarating and exciting, and as he spun with her, both hands rested on his shoulders and as they spun, she swung her legs out in a line akin to how she’d imagine a birds’ wings would look, as if she were flying. And when her feet reached the ground again, she pulled him back to her in an almost greedy sort of movement, but it allowed her to lean back as if he were moving her in a small dip. All the while, a huge grin set along her face.

This was their dance!
and that long ago,
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"I will learn how to dance in the halls of the afterlife!" He declared, entertaining the vision of him holding the hands of demons (because if he was being honest, he would not go to Heaven) and dipping, swerving around mystical dance floors. Of course, Rexanna was the far better partner, but he had always been one for a dramatic image; he stored the idea for a future painting in his mind.

She seemed to know exactly what to do as he lifted her and Bastien could hear himself laughing with delight as he watched her, glad to see her having such a good time, especially after the last week. As she came down and bent back to dip he leaned after her, putting one of his arms behind him in a flourish and lowering her as far as he dared to with his other.

As she came back up he pulled her close and kissed her, breaking their dance for a moment but so filled with affection for her that he couldn't bring himself to care. Pulling away with both his hands cupping his jaw, he suddenly became aware that the music had stopped, the end of the song coming to crescendo he hadn't heard as he'd been kissing her. When he looked about other dancers were stood staring at them and he laughed, took Rexanna's hand and tried to pull her into a bow.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
She giggled at his response, batting adoring eyes at him as she imagined him dancing in the afterlife. Though, much like his own picture of it, she imagined a dark sort of setting – with rivers of teal and blue, like the hottest fires, dancing among a barrage of greyish dark souls. A dance of the dead, in a way, because even she knew, too, that Bastien was unlikely to get somewhere better. But she imagined she likely wouldn’t get somewhere better either, and imagined herself mixed into the crowds – watching with wide eyes while he swooped and danced with those of the underworld.

But he seemed pleased with her reaction to his movement, the two of them fluid like ink in water as they moved around the floor. And when she returned up from her dip, her eyes never leaving his own, he pulled her close and kissed her passionately and so beautifully that it was the most wonderful moment she could recall (of course, next to the time he had taken her to the fields to paint). And she put it away, locked into her mind of happy memories that slowly began to overtake the darkness of Halyven and crumbling ivory walls in favor for a tall, beautiful man with a unique accent and life.

She returned the kiss, and it felt as though time had stopped, and before she could realize it he pulled away – her own hands resting along his neck to slide to his shoulder as she realized the music had stopped. Rexanna watched as he glanced around, a small chuckle slipping through her lips as she realized they had stopped to stare at them. She gave them her biggest innocent smile before she focused back on Bastien as he turned them to bow. She did, crossing one leg over the other and using her other hand to grip onto the bottom of her dress in the most professional curtsy she could manage.

Then, when she stood back up straight, she looked to Bastien with another wide grin. “That was incredible.” She said a bit breathlessly, but squeezed his hand happily. A spark of joy and happiness settling in her eyes.
and that long ago,
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"It was, wasn't it? Ah, mia cara.  The things we can make together." Bastien was sure there were many more dances in their future, along with art pieces and songs and lives. Gently he led her away from the dance floor (there were plenty of other chances to dance later and after the vigorous exercise they'd just undergone he worried for her health) and to the edge of it, leaned against a fence with an arm around her.

"This reminds me a little of the Carnivale. It is certainly the most fun I have seen people having here." He commented, watching partiers go around in the dark night with the light of the lamps illuminating their faces. "This...this is what the Artist's Sanctuary needs to create more of. A chance for them all to breathe. There is so much suffering, pain, horror...I am amazed there are not more things like this. I always assumed that creativity sprung up naturally from hardship." He shrugged, though this was clearly something Bastien considered often, his face thoughtful and eyes far away.

Still, he was here to spend a good night with Rexanna so he quickly turned to look at her and smiled, kissing her temple. "You must allow me to be that mother hen again and ask how you are. I do worry for you."
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
She beamed to Bastien when he spoke of what they could create together. And she allowed him to lead her wherever he chose as she caught her breath and her body back under control – though feeling the need to continue to move and move and move. It felt good to breathe fresh air, to dance and be active, and to be there with him. And as he leaned against the fence, she too leaned against it and angled herself toward him with a small smile. Her gaze slipping from the dancers to look to Bastien as he spoke yet again.

The… Carnivale?” She questioned, doing her best to mimic his language as her head tilted – wondering if this was similar, what kind of magical thing there was in Venice that rivaled this. But he had moved on, speaking of what the Artist’s Guild would create, and she smiled softly to him as he spoke of his dream and ideas, of the creativity that happened with everything that had occurred over Longnight. And suddenly, she began to think of it – to wonder if Lucas was still allowed with the Artist’s Guild – but she refrained from asking, knowing that Bastien would tell her.

But he shrugged, turning to her and smiling that charming smile of his and kissing her temple. She leaned into him, wrapping an arm around his waist and resting her head on his chest as far as she could reach. “I feel incredible.” She said, looking up to him with an honest smile. She didn’t mind him asking, but she’d still tease him for fun. The fact that he cared enough to be cautious of it all was such a wonderful thing to Rexanna – a thing she hadn’t ever really experienced before in her life. She reached up with her free hand, to rest gently along his stubbled chin as she searched his eyes. “Honestly, I think I’ve gotten better much quicker than I originally expected because of all you’ve done for me.” She paused, contemplating as she chewed on her lip briefly. “I don’t know how to repay the favor.” There was an awkward laugh, imagining that Bastien would try and take absolutely zero repayment for her, but she wanted to. Somehow, one day.
and that long ago,
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Yes, {i{Carnivale.{/i} Somewhat like the little party I held in my church but the whole city. Masks and games and entertainment for a whole week. I could spend months making my costume.\\\"[/say} He smiled and the smallest bit of sadness entered his eyes as he looked over Fiat Lux, a fun celebration in it\'s own right but something that paled in comparison to the festivals he had known in Venice. He doubted he would ever see that kind of grandeur again.\n\nBut there was little time to be miserable when Rexanna was so close and so happy. He smiled at her and gently shook his head. [say}"There is, of course, no payment required. The joy of seeing you well again is enough, cara." And it truly was.

"Though there is something I did want to ask. We agreed when the barrier disappeared we would go to explore. I am told there is a great forest out there. I saw only a bit of it myself but it did look beautiful. Perhaps in a few days when you are sure you are well we can begin our adventures..?" He asked, squeezing her closer. Bastien was so excited to find new horizons but only if Rexanna was there with him, only if he could see her discover them too.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
She watched Bastien fondly as he spoke of the Carnivale, her eyes dancing around the panes of his face as she imagined the wild parties he hosted once upon a time. Masks and costumes, games, and happiness. Listening, she pictured him slaving over a costume for months and a small chuckle slipped from her lips. “I love costume making.” She announced partially quietly as his gaze drifted back toward Fiat Lux and she, too, followed his gaze. She didn’t have much experience with these kinds of festivals – having only ever been on the working end of them. When she was in Asciend, it was rare for her to ever take part in the festivities aside from watching them.

But here, here she could be a part of it all and no one would stop her – least of all Bastien. And she absolutely loved him for that alone.

As Rexanna spoke of the repayment, however, for the help he had given her by taking her to Phoebe’s, her head shifted back to him and offered him a beaming smile. She understood that he would say exactly those words, but she wanted to do something for him, she just wasn’t sure what yet. She couldn’t dwell on it long, though, as he poised a question to her, and she turned to face him more fully as she paid attention.

And then he asked her about their adventure.

And her eyes lit up and her smile grew brighter and she nodded quickly, pushing toward him to embrace him tightly again. “Yes!” She chimed, excited beyond belief to see what laid beyond the barrier for so many years. “What should we bring?” She questioned, muffled in his shirt but her mind raced around the many possibilities of what they could find out there in the great unknown.
and that long ago,
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Of course you do, for we have kindred spirits." Bastien smiled at her, instantly struck by the idea of sitting comfortably at home making wondrous outfits together, things not fit for any occasion but the most outrageous of Sanctuary parties. Adding sparkles and frills just because they could, chatting late into the night as they sewed. It was as good a romance as any storybook.

She held him and said yes, she did still want to go. Kissing the top of her head and looking out into the festival, he considered her question.

"Hm. What does one take on an adventure?" He asked, to himself and to her. "Clothes, clearly, and our washthings. I will bring a small paintset and some papers, for I am a poor guildmaster if I do not represent the artists here outside of the town. Some food...ah. Perhaps you could bring some blankets or things to sleep on? There is a chance we could have to spend a night outside. I would suggest a map but...somehow I suspect that is unlikely." Same for a compass, he assumed.

"Can you think of anything else? Oh! Some medical supplies too. I hope we never need them, but it is good to be prepared."
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
We are.” She offered, cheery and bright with a quiet light laugh. And as Bastien imagined what their future could be like, she did too – by the fireplace, warm and comfortable beneath quilts and blankets. Sewing and painting, creating and talking, enjoying each other’s company among the warmth of the fire and tea. It was such a wonderful, heartwarming thought that Rexanna couldn’t imagine something better in her entire life. It gave her something incredible to look forward to, and for the time being she couldn’t wait.

But he considered her question and asked what they brought on adventures, and she took a moment to think about what were necessary things to bring and what were frivolous things that could be left back home. Bastien considered, clothes and paintsets and papers, and she nodded along with him as she listened and seemed to stare out over the Festival while she thought about it. “I can bring those. Maybe a tent of sorts if it starts to rain?” She contemplated softly, an arm lingering around Bastien’s waist. “I can make one pretty easy, we can roll it up and carry it with us and our packs.” She contemplated.

But as Bastien spoke of a map, she side eyed him with a small grin. “Or you could make the map?” She thought with a small laugh. But she did agree with the medical supplies, imagining that she could talk to Phoebe or Vervain for some of the things they might need – like bandages and herbs of sorts. “Medical supplies would be good, better to be safe than sorry.” She said with a small nod before reaching over and hugging him tight again. “Oh I can’t wait. Sleeping under the stars and exploring a new land with you is an amazing adventure.
and that long ago,