Rockabye
for Maea

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Maea is cashing in her MP for sekrit info!!

In the spaces between snores, the shallow parts of sleep and the prolonged hum of dreams there is room.

Room for something.

Something more, mayhap.

Bright things, dark things, things of monumental imporance and things of which later cannot be recalled. To find one's way into this room is a rare treat indeed, and though it is through no conscious effort on the part of Maea's mind that she slips the surely bonds of her dreams and finds her pale hands on the brass doorknob, here she is.

The knob turns.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897

Fear not this night, you will not go astray

It was the wolf's hour, longer and darkest of all hours just before dawn and Maea had been dreaming. Fleeting images of frightening things, not quite formed into a nightmare yet but building up to it. Every night was the same, filled with terror and regret, and it was no different this night...

... until it was. Slipping through that door, fleeing from the pain that was sure to come, she found that the hazy dreamworld changed and hardened around her, solidified as her mind became suddenly aware. No longer in the Spire but outside it, there was someone standing before it, a figure with golden hair and smiling blue eyes dressed all in simple white garb... a figure she knew so achingly well that tears welled up in her eyes.

"Noah" she whispered, and went up to him, hands reaching longingly towards him. "How? What is happening...? Is this a dream?"

He smiled, serene and peaceful as he pulled her into a hug, strong arms wrapping securely around her for a moment. It was as warm and comforting as always, but Maea sensed a peace in her brother's being that had never been there in life. It was really Noah, or rather... the essence of him.

"I missed you, Maea sweet" the spirit of Noah said affectionately. "But no... this is no dream. It is a place between. There is little time, I'm afraid, and there is something I need to show you."

With an arm still around her shoulders he turned them around, towards the Spire. He led them closer, and suddenly Maea realized that she could see inside the tower; the winding staircase spiriling up and down, the chambers below and the sealed room at the top. The roof was still intact, the tortoise still alive and no seals had yet been broken; it was as it had been for three hundred years.

Noah pointed to something and she followed the direction to a mass of sprawling cords, winding through the Spire like entrails, connecting... what? There was a sense of passing time, of pieces being gathered and assembled, of a construct taking form over the span of centuries. Finally, a last piece falling into place brought a sense of completion, and with it a sudden change.

"What... is that?" she whispered, unsettled by the alien intelligence behind the construct.

"They've been building it for a long time" Noah explained, calm even though a slight frown creased the skin between his eyebrows as he watched beside her. "All in order to escape. The Core, The Voice... They built it and used it, and even now it is active."

"But how? What does it do?"

He pointed again and the world spun around her, changed and fractured into a million pieces. A sense of reaching, of gathering, of retrieval and reassembly... of a million Worlds stretching out before her, a million different places and possibilities opening before her... and a keen understanding of what the cost would be. Because she knew it well; there was always a price to pay. Time leapt around her in erratic patterns, sped and slowed and ceased to exist and as the implications of what she was seeing settled within, Maea clung to her brother's spirit.

"Why? Why show this to me?" she pleaded, knees buckling under the weight of the information. "Why do you put this on me?"

The young man smiled  and the world slowed around them again and stilled, a night full of dancing people, lights and laughter soothing her fears away. He tugged her close, pulled her into a dance and Maea complied, even though she didn't understand.

"Because you have a choice to make" he mumbled close to her ear, and twirled her until she became dizzy. "Because you now are in a position that let's you make this kind of choice... Don't be afraid, Maea. I know you will choose well. I am so proud of what you have become..."

He let go of her and the lights faded as he retreated, pulling the world with him as he did. The girl tried to hold on, tried to ask something... but her words were lost as she was pulled back to the living world, and as the door snapped shut on the vision she woke with a gasp, sweaty and shivering as the images she had been shown replayed over and over in her mind.

A choice... she would have to make a choice. To do nothing... or do something.
Though shadows fall, still the stars find their way

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦