you're missing what im tryna say, there's nothing getting in my way
Killian Soleil
Scout

Age: 27 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Zoa Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The tale continued as the two moved towards the chest, only getting more grim. The Northaveners really hadn't thought this through had they? Killian frowned as Jigano described it all; the ascended, the sleep spell, the voice being freed, and the slowly scarring wounds that the Northaveners had caused. The 'spire demon business' was decidedly, a big mess and a fucking shame.

"Hmm," Killian sighed, squatting over the chest and watching the other man poke a piece of wood into it. "I don't know if I'd call it exciting. Crazy? yeah," he replied with a chuckle, shaking his head. This world didn't have the problems that his did, but it certainly had it's faults.

Nothing immediately attacked the shard that Jigano stuck into the chest, and after a moment of holding it there Killian concluded that it was safe in there. He hopped forwards a little, rocking forwards on the ball of his feet to reach his arm down in the box, needing no further reassurance to the safety. He fished around inside, his fingers gently brushing through a cobweb that jolted his arm out of the box. Sticky, but old and nothing was alive on it. He wiped it off then dove back in, this time gripping something dusty but solid. It definitely felt like a book.

He lifted it out, a novel bound in leather and a silky fringe of webbing. Killian blew off the front, once again finding runes that he couldn't read but were in a good enough condition that it was possible for someone with the training. Something suddenly shifted in the pages, and out the middle fell a shiny copper chain, dangling at the end a brass colored ring, plain and rounded but for a slim run engraved across the middle. Killian reached for it, holding the chain it was attached to up and pooling it in the palm of his other hand.

He looked it over, wide eyed and intrigued by the find, then turned to Jigano with another grin. "Think you can read these too?" he asked, lifting the book and handing him both items.

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
"Crazy is the less polite but probably more accurate way to describe it," Jigano agreed wryly as he poked at the box. He was more patient than Killian was, the younger man more willing to stick his hand into the shadows and feel around, and when he jerked it out the first time the bard was certain he'd been bitten by something. It was a relief - and he sighed, not bothering to hide it - when Kiki just wiped his hand off and dove back in, groping around until he found a prize.

The lorekeeper chuckled in appreciative disbelief as his companion found yet another book in decent condition. he stood and waited patiently for his companion to finish his initial examination before taking the proferred items and peering at first one, then the other. His brow furrowed in consternation as he looked over the symbols on the front of the book, and in the end he sighed and shook his head. "I'm afraid these are unfamiliar to me," he admitted, his pride stung. "But... here. why don't you keep the ring? I'll work on the book and maybe someday I'll be able to tell you what the ring says." Handing the odd bit of jewelry back, he added the book to his pouch and picked the lantern up again, heading off along the western wall.

"I'm surprised we haven't found any stairs yet," he admitted. "I thought they might be on the southern wall but if they were on the eastern side..." He trailed off, shivering at the memory of all those eyes. "Well. They might stay hidden a century longer if-- wait, what's that?" Ahead of them a part of the wall seemed to disappear into shadow even as the lantern light came closer. The niche revealed itself to be a half-rotted wooden door that refused to budge when Jigano pushed lightly against it.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
Jigano's sigh of relief caught Kiki's attention, he turned to look at Jigano and chuckled, throwing in a wink too. He found it funny, the anticipation and the big reveal being a cobweb. Exciting moments like these often left him with that giddy feeling, that was of course, until he actually did get bit by something.

Jigano frowned at these two items, unable to decipher the runes on either. A mystery for another time then. Jigano offered for Kiki to take the ring for now, to be entrusted with it felt like an honor. Kiki took it back gently, letting the copper chain run through his fingers. "Sounds good," he replied to Jigano as he took it. With a bit of polishing, it could be good as new. He smiled to himself and hung the chain around his neck, then tucked the ring into his shirt to hang cool against his chest.

With three good finds, the pair was off again, taking the lantern to traverse the west wall. He looked to the side when Jigano mentioned stairs. Killian didn't know they'd been looking for stairs, but to think their might be more to the chamber only reinvigorated the parts of him that thought they might end their ventures soon. At the mention of the eastern wall, Killian glanced back in that direction, the way with the spiders. He wouldn't mind trying to get through there, despite his earlier run in with the cobweb. "Maybe..." he started, but was cut off when Jigano found something.

A door, rotting and old but a door all the same. Killian hurried after Jigano, who pressed lightly against it. Killian tried his own hand, pushing and then pulling at the knob to see if it swung out. It was stubborn for an ancient and rotting door. More force might be necessary. Normally Kiki would just ram full force into it, see if it would budge then. But seeing as he didn't want to ruin some part of the Atheneum (Jigano would surely disapprove), he asked first. "Should we try to bust it open?"

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He caught Killian's smile as he took the chain, and the bard stifled a chuckle. A little harmless treasure from their adventure was just the thing for both of them! A book for the scholar and a bit of flash for the not-quite-soldier. Perhaps it would serve as a reminder to bring the young man back to the Loreseekers in the future? He had courage and a bright mind, and was well worth keeping an eye on from what the bard had seen so far. Of course, he first had to sort himself out and get his bearings in what was to be his new home, but once he'd settled in, well...

Maybe. He'd learned an important lesson with Maea, after all, and he no longer issued his invitations quite so casually.

The door was a relief, though it was annoyingly stuck. Jigano stepped back to let his companion try his own luck with the old wood, but it resisted the younger man's strength just as stubbornly. It was old, though, and he had some experience with old doors. It opened inwards, and as he examined the hinges he glanced to his friend with a chuckle. "Rusted shut," he explained. "Though it probably just leads to a way upstairs. I'll take notes as we walk back to our way in and measure out where we can find the place above it on the ground floor. If there's nothing there, well, we can come back another day with some grease for the hinges. And if there's a matching door upstairs, we'll know where it leads." He pulled out the grey journal that now shared space with the two old books in his pouch and shook a writing stick from his capacious sleeve like a magic trick as he began to walk again, pacing carefully along the western wall and counting steps in his head.

"Did you get to do much exploration like this on your world?" he asked curiously.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
Killian was a tad disappointed that they couldn't get the door open. He would've been more than happy to bruise his shoulder and bust it open. Rusty hinges cant be that difficult to get off right? But Jigano would rather not, and decided to try another day. He nodded to the plan, praying of course that they wouldn't find any stairs above. That would mean a whole other adventure. "Ok," he agreed, beginning to walk again and only glancing back once at the door, just to make sure it hadn't opened on it's own.

Conversation easily kindled again as they walked, Jigano asked a question that an small smirk to Killian's face. "Not exactly. I wasn't supposed to, but I tried to as much as I could. The capital where I live is-" he paused, realizing with a soft frown his mistake but continuing on as if he hadn't made it, "it was pretty big, so I had lot's to explore. But I saw all that was in there, I always wanted to see more out of the capital, do more stuff like this. But like I said I wasn't supposed to." He finished with a shrug, glancing down at his feet as they walked.

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He could see the disappointment in Killian's posture, and the way he looked back longingly, and the lorekeeper stifled a chuckle. He knew how his young friend felt, the lure of the unknown a siren song in his own blood, but age had brought with it a certain appreciation for efficiency. And the last time he'd gone poking around behind old doors in the Atheneum's basement, he'd almost been stung by a paper wasp queen! The ability to close the door again if they inadvertently woke something up was well worth a little patience, at least to him. Luckily Killian followed his lead, and Jigano tried to distract him with tales of previous exploits.

Jigano wasn't surprised to learn that his companion had lived in a capital city. That was as likely a place as any for someone to come from. No, the interesting thing was that he hadn't been allowed out of the capital. Though, he was fairly young... perhaps it had been his parents who had kept him in their sight? Though it wasn't that he couldn't 'afford' to leave, so perhaps his family had been wealthy or powerful. "Well, no one can stop you from exploring here," Jigano said wryly as he counted their steps and direction back to the faint circle of light that came from above, where their rope dangled in the floating dust motes. "Just... be careful. Sometimes not even being lucky and fast can save you." And he had the scars on his shoulder to prove it. "Do you want to go up first? I'll tie the bottom of the rope to the lantern once you're up, so we can pull it up after me."
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
No one can stop you from exploring here, a soft hum and a grin as he walked, contemplating those words. He hadn't been here long at all, but already he felt as though he had more opportunities than he ever had. Compared to yesterday, spent wallowing in longing for the familiar, Kiki was thriving. For today had been spent day with an unexpected adventure, and a new hope for things to be good.

They arrived back at the rope, with hung inert where they had left it. Killian's eyes followed the line up, to where they had come through before. It was a shame, to end such an exciting expedition. But he realized, staring up at the vacant hole, that he had all the time in the world to return. He nodded, "Sure, I'll let you know when I'm up," he replied, then grabbed on and gave the rope a few quick tugs. Up he went, pulling his weight up until he'd reached the rim of the hole, then shouted back down, "Ok, I'm up!"

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano wasn't as fast or strong at climbing as Killian was, but he could pull his own weight, and he made it up the rope in short order, pulling the lantern up behind him. Collecting everything they had brought and found, he grinned at the young man and tipped him a wink before they began to make their back towards light and sky and fresh air once more. "Spiders aside, it was a pretty fun exploration! I'm glad you talked me into it," he grinned at his new friend.

He oriented himself once they were back on the main library floor, taking a quick peek at the map he had made and trying to find the door, but rubble from the ceiling had fallen in that area, making it difficult to determine if there was a door behind it or not. With a wry shrug to his companion the loreseeker swept a half-bow and then began to head back towards his Guildhall. "You know where to find me now," he offered with a smile. "Please, feel free to come back and visit any time!"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
Killian waited patiently for his new friend to make it up, offering him a hand to pull him out. He chuckled at Jigano’s comment, falling into step as they walked their way back, ”Glad you let me,” he replied, brushing the bridge of his nose then putting his hands into his pockets.

The pair walked back to the guildhall door, and it was there that they parted. Jigano said his goodbyes, and Killian gave a nod, ”Thank you, see you round.” With that Killian smiled, did a quick two fingered salute, then turned to leave the Atheneum. As he walked, he reached into his shirt to pull out the ring. The brass had warned against his chest, he rubbed his thumb over its smooth tuned surface. If he’d found this treasure in only the third day of his being here, he was sure there was much more to come. And he was excited for it.