[SE] Danger S'mores
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 28 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 12 - Strg: 53 - Dext: 55 - Endr: 60 - Luck: 57 - Int: 2
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 4650
He needed to do something that Ludo would think was cool while holding his Dagger if he wanted the raggedy god to make the poison on its blade stronger, and Tal had wracked his brain for most of Deepfrost trying to figure out just what would fit the bill.

The stuff he thought was cool was probably not going to cut it, he'd reluctantly decided. If the last five years had taught him anything it was that he and the masked god had very different tastes in everything but food. Specifically sweets. If they could agree on nothing else, it was that, and so Tal had tried to think of the coolest food-related thing he could do.

...He'd come up blank, more or less, until he'd reached Torchline. Steering the Peregrine over the steaming bulk of the volcano had inspired a little madness in the courier, so once he'd made his deliveries he bought a couple of supplies and anchored his skyboat at the base of the smoking mountain's slope. The long hike up to the summit had at least been interesting as he occasionally paused to look out over Torchline, seeing the places where the purple of the Void was conspicuously absent... and the places it still was very much present along the Coast. He grimaced and hiked faster until he reached the top. The heat should have been uncomfortable, but his Frostbite Cuff protected him from the worst of it and he set up on the upwind side of the smoke.

There were sweet, thick crackers and a couple bars of chocolate (already starting to melt) beside him, but the stars of the show were the small bag of marshmallows. He stuck one on the end of his Dagger and held it out over the volcano, whistling a sailing shanty to himself as the white suger puff slowly began to smoke and turn brown in the withering heat of the bubbling lava rising up from far below.

Open!
Zavien Alexander
Stormbreak Dragoon

Age: 28 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Dew Online
Change author:
MP: 550
Just smile and be happy.
After getting stuck in Torchline before Longnight, Zavien had been reluctant to return so soon, however, his search for the extent of the Void infections was never ending. Trekking across the sandy beaches, he'd spotted Apopo in the distance, glowing against the horizon. Its potent orange light was a thousand times brighter than any sunset and he immediately wanted to investigate the fiery island. So he'd hitched a ride over the water to find himself standing on the shores of the lava-ridden land.

His first impression was that it was hot. Zavien's attempts to wipe his brow proved futile as every ounce of moisture in his body chose to jump ship simultaneously, drenching him in sweat. Trying to keep from dehydrating, he dunked his tunic in the ocean, wrapping the material around his head and neck. It helped somewhat, but he still kept some distance from the lava rivers as he continued inland.

The next thing he noticed was the strange popping of lava bubbles accenting the crunching of rock within its currents. It went well with the whistled tone that echoed over the stoney habitat.

And lastly, Zavien took a deep breath to smell the ashy steam of heating and cooling molten lava along with a hint of sweet marshmallow. Freezing, he considered the observation. Why would Apopo smell like marshmallows? And thinking again, how was the wind whistling? There weren't any caves or large rock structures to run against.

Extremely confused, he looked around for something to explain the strange phenomena. Following his nose seemed to be the right move as he worked his way closer to the source: "Talyson!" With a wide grin, he jogged up to the man roasting a white sugar puff on the tip of his dagger. The heat quickly sapped his energy and he stopped by Tal's side, breathlessly asking, "Are you making s'mores?!" He didn't care why the Accepted was choosing to do so on the middle of a lava island. He only cared that there was food that may be offered.
Zavien
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 28 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
The familiar voice that called his name was a welcome - if surprising - distraction from the hellish view of the interior of Apopo's broken crater. "Hey Zav!" Tal grinned back at his fellow Accepted. He probably looked a little crazy, sitting there in a short sleeved tunic with his Goggles pulled over his eyes to protect them from the smoke and ash, but the Peregrine's captain hadn't been expecting company on this little jaunt. "Happy new year!"

It was impossible to notice the smell of any more smoke in the air, but when Tal glanced back at his marshmallow it was most definitely on fire. It had only been waiting for a moment of distraction to burst into flame, cunning as all of its kind were, and the courier yelped and scrambled to blow it out (only engaging in a small bout of waving it around before realizing what a terrible idea that was). He grimaced at the blackened shell barely containing the molten sugar within, but with a shrug he started assembling the crackers and chocolate to sandwich it. "Uh. Don't suppose y'like th'burnt ones?" he asked his friend sheepishly. "I dunno how many o' these I gotta make but I'll definitely get sick if I try t'eat 'em all myself."

Boreal was nowhere in evidence, and given her habit of wolfing down anything that wasn't watched like a hawk Zavien could probably guess why Tal hadn't brought her along on this particular adventure.
Zavien Alexander
Stormbreak Dragoon

Age: 28 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
Zavien was disappointed to notice Boreal's absence, but the prospect of more food for his eager belly quickly dispelled those feelings. "Happy new year! I hope this year brings plenty of good memories and the destruction of the Void!" He laughed lightly and ducked as the flaming marshmallow strayed close to his head. It nearly caught on his makeshift turban, but Tal seemed to put out the fire quick enough and the near-disastrous event was promptly ignored.

The charred smell of the sugar would have disgusted most people, however, Zavien wasn't most people. With a smile that rivaled the lava's brightness, he practically snatched the s'more from his friend's grasp the moment it was assembled. "As a matter of fact, the burnt ones are my favorite. They add a whole other depth of flavor." Like a fool, Zavien didn't hesitate to throw the treat in his mouth, having to afhgashthatlad his way past the first few seconds before being able to taste the melting sugar through the blistering of his mouth. It didn't stop the overjoyed smile plastered stupidly to his face or the moan of appreciation. His green eyes glowed in excitement. "I'm definitely not complaining. Make as many as you need." He winked playfully at the Captain. To further show his contentment in eating each and every marshmallow, Zavien took a seat a short distance from the bubbling stream of lava. "What are you making them for, anyways?"
Zavien
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Fuckin' cheers to that!" Tal agreed fervently, but Zavien's laugh kept the mood light. Almost as light as the burning marshmellow, in fact! Which thankfully failed to fly off the tip of the dagger or set anything nearby on fire, proving that the gods really did watch out for the Accepted sometimes.

Tal watched in a mixture of awe and mild horror as Zavien shoved the molten s'more in his mouth and then tried not to laugh at his friend's pain. It really wasn't funny, so he reached over to pat the Breaker supportively on the arm. A little healing magic from his ring sparked between them to heal any blisters or scorch marks the treat might have left, and it was well worth the big smile on the man's face as he settled in nearby.

Tal obligingly stuck another marshmallow on the thin wire skewer that he'd wrapped around his blade and adjusted his heavy leather glove before sticking the knife over the volcano's edge once more. "Oh, th'usual," he said with a wry grin. "Questin' for Ludo. T'make my Dagger stronger," he added, wiggling the weapon in question gently so he didn't dislodge the next victim treat. "Back on th' delivery route now that LongNight's over. Alys an' me'll be headin' t'Stormbreak after this." He looked over to his friend curiously. "How was your LongNight, anyways?"
Zavien Alexander
Stormbreak Dragoon

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
The pain dissipated from his mouth immediately and he ran a testing tongue over his lips. Zavien smiled in appreciation of the healing, already willing to endure it again for the sweet treat.

He chuckled at the mention of the herald. Although he'd never met them, the strange antics and requests had preceded their meeting. "Sounds on brand for Ludo." Even if they usually leaned towards chaotic neutral, Zavien liked to hear about the absolute nonsense often associated with Ludo. It helped that Tal had Alys to support him through the random craziness. Lifting his eyebrows suggestively, he asked, "How is that going?" Maybe he would get to meet the woman in the near future.

The mention of Longnight had him wincing. It had been so loooong and he'd declined the usual festivities in favor of rest. "Eh. I spent most of the time at home, waiting out the night. Honestly, I was starting to get a little stir crazy. I had to get out and stretch my adventuring legs." He wiggled his toes in emphasis, giving Tal another trademark smile.
Zavien
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal's nose wrinkled in rueful - and painful - agreement that was half-grimace as he nodded at the comment on Ludo's 'brand.' "Well, it beats th'whole 'stab yourself with it' part o' things," he admitted with the casual resignation of someone who'd been on the receiving end of more than one such task. But since he kept going back for more maybe the problem wasn't with the deity but instead with the acolyte?

Hail, theology had never been his strong point, and Tal was more than happy to switch gears and talk about Alys. His grimace melted away into a much softer grin and he ducked his head in a bobbing nod. "'s goin' better," he admitted, his voice threatening to devolve into a sappy mumble. "We had a lot o' good talks over LongNight an' figured out a way t'spend more time together. She's travelin' with me again, now. Goin' out t'meet her clients in their own regions, 'stead o' havin' 'em come t'her in King's End. An' I've got my best travelin' partner back again." And the situation clearly suited him, if the happiness in his expression was anything to go by.

But he wasn't so lost in his own little bubble that he forgot his pal, and he lifted his head to grin over to Zavien in rueful understanding. "Right? A whole week indoors is way too long!" He managed to spot the tell-tale wisps of danger before the marshmallow ignited this time, and he quickly turned it to reveal a perfect skin of brown on one side. "Ooooh, fuck yeah. Can y'get th'next one built an' ready for it?" he asked his friend. "An' lemme know what kind o' adventures y'got in mind!" Maybe Tal could join him on a few while they were in the same region?
Zavien Alexander
Stormbreak Dragoon

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
His eyes widened as Zavien balked at the idea of Tal stabbing himself. He was tempted to argue about the stupidity of it, but this was Ludo they were talking about. Of course that's what he'd wanted, and Tal was a grown man who could make his own decisions. As long as he was being careful, Zavien didn't have a right to stop him.

The love-struck look in Tal's eyes was enough to melt Zavien into a puddle of sappy lava. It seemed they were both quite the romantics and he was more than happy for the man. "That's great! You'll have to introduce me to the lucky lady next time." He gave Tal a big smile, sharing in his joy.

He couldn't argue with the comment on LongNight. It was aptly named after all. Putting together the chocolate and cracker, he slid the offered marshmallow off the dagger's tip and presented it to Tal. "You should eat one too. Especially since I prefer the charred ones." With a playful wink, Zavien turned to start preparing the next sets for their own marshmallows.

"I will let you know! I could always use an adventure buddy." Even if Tal had Alys to keep him company now, Zavien would always love to steal him away for a quest or two. Although considering the dangers, he would never want to risk losing his friend on some foolish task. Leaning back on his hands, he asked, "Have you seen or heard anything new regarding the Void?"
Zavien
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Definitely!" Tal promised, more than happy to introduce his friend to his partner. Maybe they'd even all run into each other in Stormbreak! Though given all the weight and drama of Dahlia looming over the floating city, maybe someplace like Torchline or King's End really would be better...

He shook himself free of rumination in time to rescue the second marshmallow from a fiery fate and he was more than happy to take Zavien up on his suggestion. "Don't mind if I do!" Balancing the Dagger on his knee, Tal happily accepted the s'more from the dragoon and crammed it into his mouth with a look of bliss. He nodded easy agreement to being Zav's adventuring buddy - fully intending to drag his friend along on an adventure or two in the near future - but he was glad he'd gotten the treat swallowed and safely into his stomach before the sugar turned to ash in his mouth at the mention of the Void.

He grimaced and nodded his head slowly. "Well, now that y'mention it... yeah. Had a weird... nightmare. Vision. Thing. In Deepfrost," he admitted reluctantly. "Thought it was just a bad dream, but then I met someone else who'd had it, too. So it was prob'ly sent by one o' th'gods or somethin'." He shrugged uncomfortably and busied his hands with stabbing another marshmallow to try and hide his discomfort. "It was like I was flyin' above Starfall, an' then I was fallin' inside it. There was... some sorta giant Voidy crystal in a big cave. An' things in th'crystal. Like... they were growin' in it. More o' that damn Family, it felt like. But they weren't even th'worst part." He shifted uneasily, turning the dagger too fast for the marshmallow to cook properly as the memory loomed fresh and dark in his mind's eye again.
Zavien Alexander
Stormbreak Dragoon

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
Zavien smiled at his friend's own enthusiasm for the s'mores, already selecting the next sacrificial marshmallow. As he did so, he listened to Tal's story with an increasingly lowering frown. It wasn't a pleasant topic, but he hadn't been expecting this. A Void Crystal? And more of the Family. How were they supposed to compete with that?

Shaking his head with wide, disbelieving eyes, he asked, "There's more? What could be any worse?" He'd already admitted that there were more powerful beings on the way when they were already struggling with the few that they were aware of (not that Zavien knew who they were).

Nerves ran through his body, making him shift uncomfortably while the heat somehow felt hotter. He tried to keep his mind occupied, preparing more chocolate and cracker sets with fidgeting hands.
Zavien
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Yeah, well..." Tal glowered at his marshmallow since he didn't have any Void critters to vent his spleen on. The marshmallow didn't actually toast any faster, but it kept the courier's attention on the treat so he didn't set this one on fire. It took on a nice crackly black skin however, and he offered it to Zavien for 'plating' on the crackers and chocolate. "Th'rest o' th'dream was definitely warnin' about more Family on their way, but th'real threat was at th'Crystal's heart." He gestured with his free hand, stabbing his finger at the air for emphasis.

"I mean, that Dahlia lady, she's basically stronger'n our strongest demigods, right? Well... what I saw in that dream... it was like some kind o' Void god was growin' under Starfall. Like th'crystal was its egg. So, I dunno... maybe th'Family are like its demigods?" Tal's scowl deepened as he jammed the last marshmallow onto the Dagger and held it out again. "I can't really explain why I felt th'way I did but... it felt stronger'n th'heralds. But not stronger'n th'Big Gods," he added fiercely, giving Zavien a look that was far from defeated. "So I figure we do still have a chance, if we can start fightin' smarter."
Zavien Alexander
Stormbreak Dragoon

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
He accepted the marshmallow in a kind of haze as he listened to Tal's words. Without even offering the food to his friend, Zavien unconsciously bit into it, letting the food soften the blow of the words. If only the s'mores was a secret potion that woke him from this living nightmare. 

A cold touch of fear settled over him, stilling the nerves to a dreadful calm. If the Family were the demigods and this Void Crystal being was a god, they were in big trouble. He settled his own expression to firm determination and looked to Tal. "I'll do anything I can to help. They may be building their army, but we have survived too much to let these purple freaks win." Zavien thought about Stormbreak and Dahlia's leadership over them. Some people might still be believing the lies, but he knew that they were in a difficult position. Tilting his head, he asked, "What should we do?"
Zavien
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The last marshmallow was maybe a little underdone, but Tal pulled it back anyways and set it between the crackers and chocolate, glowering out into the caldera as he waited for it to cool enough to eat. At Zavien's powerful vow to stay strong and help out Tal nodded vigorously and then took a bite, but his expression didn't lift much.

And when his friend asked him for guidance the courier could only shake his head in silence while he chewed. He finally swallowed the sticky-sweet mouthful and looked back to the other man, meeting his eyes squarely. "I dunno," he said slowly, offering a shrug. "I'm just th'messenger. Caido's got lots o' leaders." He snorted. "Hail, maybe too many sometimes. But I figure they'll come up with a plan. An' if not, well... I'll keep clearin' out Void stuff wherever I run across it." What Zavien chose to do was up to him, and no one else could pick a course for him.

Tal stood and brushed the crumbs off his pants before offering Zavien a slightly sticky hand up. "C'mon, let's head back. If this doesn't fulfill Ludo's quest, I dunno what will!"
Zavien Alexander
Stormbreak Dragoon

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
Watching the last marshmallow disappear into Tal's mouth, Zavien nodded his head at the sentiments. There did seem to be a lot of leaders. At times, it felt like there were too many hands in the pot, giving their opinions or trying to lead the charge. Although he was grateful to avoid the unimaginable responsibility, he wasn't sure he'd trust them not to lead him astray. Smiling excitedly, he took Tal's offered hand, ignoring the sticky film. "Then I'll be there right next to you whenever you need an extra hand. I'll never say no to bashing in a few Void critters."

With a chuckle, he stretched his now stiff limbs, hearing a few cracks and feeling the hot breeze amplify the sweat seeping through his clothing. It would be nice to rinse off the thick grime as he considered the new Void revelations. Until then, he gave Tal a friendly clasp on the back, grinning. "Maybe we should have saved Ludo a s'more?" He laughed at the thought but didn't regret filling his own belly with the sweet treats. Next time.

{FIN}
Zavien