[SE] After the afterparty ends
LN cleanup for Flora! <3
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 53 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 4650
Haulani had definitely hosted the brunt of the parties, but the Docks had no shortage of bars and the Lucky Rum Fountain had apparently been very popular during LongNight. It was one of the first things that Hadama had noticed upon his return from Stormbreak with Melita and their Abyssal Mata Mata, but he had placed their priority on finishing their quest for protection before turning his attention to the less glamorous but still necessary task of picking up the detritus left in the wake of another epic region-wide binge.

It no longer surprised him that the landbound Torchers flung themselves into such a frenetic celebration during the darkest week. When danger hung over their heads they responded by living life to the fullest, fully aware that it might end gruesomely - and drinking to forget that unpleasant possibility.

At the moment he was focusing on the area around the newly-rebuilt Fountain, a large burlap sack in one hand that was half-full of broken bottles and various bits of trash and flotsam that he'd collected already. A flash of chartreuse from the fountain's highest tier caught his eye and he extended his trident to delicately lift something lacy and extraordinarily brief from the edge with a meditative contemplation of its construction and just how it was supposed to be worn when there was so little fabric involved in its architecture.

Flora
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 11 - Strg: 37 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 37 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3109
flora

"I think you could totally pull that off." Flora announces as she saunters down the docks, flashing the Tidebreaker a dazzling smile and jaunty wave. In a sundress that was a good deal more hopeful about the weather than what it was like to receive, the queen stopped short of the fountain in order to pick up a comically large bottle of champagne. Pulling a face—one both amused and annoyed—she glanced at Hadama.

"I love a party as much as anyone, but this is really getting old." She huffs before dropping the bottle into Hadama's sack. "Would you be against making littering punishable by death?" She suggests, only half kidding.

"The rest of the year no one acts like this, and the sun goes down and it's like everyone forgets what a garbage can looks like."
My house of stone, your ivy grows
And now I'm covered in you

Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Mmh. But chartreuse?" he rumbled to his favorite fashion consultant with a gleam of amusement in his emerald gaze. "I thought the yellow greens clash with my eyes." He shook his head, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he maneuvered the racy, lacy lingerie into the bag before holding its open mouth out to her for the bottle she'd collected.

He seemed to genuinely consider her suggestion for long moments while he plucked a paper plate from a decorative palm tree in a large pot near the fountain. "It has its merit," he eventually informed her solemnly, his poker face firmly in place.

Then he added it to the trash bag and spoke with more amused satisfaction. "In the Underwater City, any Mer found littering or destroying property during LongNight are placed in our jail to sleep it off." He paused to eye an area of smashed glass and then began to pick the large pieces carefully up. "The morning after, they must help clean up the city before they are let go." He glanced at Flora with a wry smile lifting the corner of his mouth. "A tradition I would be happy to introduce up here as well." Community service built character and filled a labor shortage when no one wanted to pick up the pieces at the party's end.

"How was the party this year?" he asked instead, having spent the week of darkness traveling to and from Stormbreak with Melita on their quest.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
flora

Eyeing the Tidebreaker as if taking his concerns very seriously, Flora lets her expression grow from thick concentration to utter understanding. "All depends on what eyeshadows you use." She says decisively, flashing Hadama a grin. "I still think you could pull it off." And, with his complexion, she actually really did.

"Maybe even just for LongNight?" Flora suggestions, and though she's certainly not dressed for litter picking, she happily begins to scoop out a few cocktail umbrellas from the fountain with her fingers before tossing them into Hadama's sack.

"Ahh, see!" Snapping her fingers, she points one at him with delight. "That's what I was trying to say underwater, you know—" Grasping invisible bars, Flora mimed shaking them. "A jail! I wondered if you did have one or if the mer were too sophisticated for such things." Their idea of community service as a way of wiping their slate clean absolutely had merit and wouldn't certainly make their lives much easier.

She liked the idea of death, though.

"Mm, not bad. Things got pretty rowdy near the end of the week though. I had to call in a few soldiers—and even a dragoon—to put a stop to it." Flora explains with a roll of her eyes.

the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"Ah. Next year, then," he decided with a slow nod of his head. "But you will have to do the eyeshadow." He spoke with utter seriousness as he so often did, calmly sincere in the words he spoke, though Flora knew him well enough by now to spy the laughter hidden in his emerald eyes.

A litter of food containers caught his attention once the glass had been attended to and he shifted a short distance away to sweep them into the bag as they spoke. He looked over curiously at the snap of enlightenment, however, and after a moment of searching through his recent memory understanding dawned and he nodded. There was a rueful tilt to his lips as he considered the kind assumption, however incorrect. "It was once our greatest secret. That we are no better or worse than our landbound neighbors," he rumbled, amused. The thought of 'Kaiden' and 'sophisticated' in the same sentence was its own paradox that had him holding back a silent laugh. "Drunks and troublemakers included."

It was good to hear that the festivities hadn't been interrupted by some new Void Horror or encroachment, though Hadama paused in his cleaning to glance over at his co-ruler with a gleam in those green eyes. "Mmh. Far from home, was he?" he asked, his tone carefully bland but his eyes twinkling.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"Deal." Laugh all you want Hadama; come next LongNight, you're going to find yourself sat in front of a mirror with Flora asking you to hold several makeup brushes as she fusses over your contour, you just wait.

"G a s p." Flora murmurs theatrically, her aqua eyes widening with feigned shock. "You know, it was you who broke down that stereotype." She says, lifting a brow. "Not in a bad way, but like, before you Maru never really cared if anyone went down to the mercity. Manta crystals weren't that widely used and we certainly didn't have the canals or the bubblestream." Only once Hadama had taken an interest in politics and bettering the relationship between Torchline's two races had the barriers ultimately come down.

Meeting Hadama's silent challenge with an unwavering smile, the queen simply nodded. "Mhmm. He's gone back now, though." She answers with a shrug. "But, uh, speaking of Stormbreak..." Poking her tongue against the inside of her cheek, Flora realized that perhaps she might have segued into this conversation a bit more gracefully, or at the very least thought ahead of time what she planned to say.

Oh well.

"While you and Maea were out of the room back in the Grounds, when we had that meeting before the ball? I asked Dahlia to come to the Hanged Man to have a drink with me, aanndd...I think she's probably coming this week." Holding up a hand to stave off the king's likely arguments, Flora continues. "I'm going to have backup and a getaway planned, but I figured that...I mean there's so much we don't know about what the Family actually wants or what they're doing here....and maybe she'd tell me over a drink."

the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Next LongNight was a long swim away, but if they were in a place where they could find time to relax and let their not-so-proverbial hair down for a bit, Hadama was more than willing to give his co-ruler free reign with his foundation for the party.

A few more pieces of trash found their way into the bag as Flora laid on the flattery, though for a moment he seemed to be waiting to hear that he was the 'drunk and troublemaker' that had brought down the stereotype. "It was your fathers who created the canals," he protested mildly, but he inclined his head deeply in acknowledgment of the rest. They were accomplishments he was proud of, and to hear Flora list them with admiration did a great deal to soothe the rough edges off of their current task of picking up after littering Torchers.

But when it came time for him to return a little teasing she proved that she had an impressive poker face of her own. And a knack for distracting him before he could follow the flickering tail of that topic into deeper waters. He straightened to stretch his back and contemplate her with far more sobriety as the tale spilled out like oil on water.

"Hmm." And that was all that he said for some time as he turned over the myriad branchings of the future she had laid out before him.

At length he sighed and met his co-ruler's eyes with his concern unhidden. "I thought that Sunjata already tried this with her? And he did not gain any information from her." A year prior, before Dahlia had bloomed into a Reaper. But the only thing that had truly changed in the intervening seasons was that the Void and Family had grown more powerful.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

Waiting for Hadama to put his thoughts into place could be like waiting for a singular cloud to stop blocking the sun when all you wanted was a tan. Alas, the queen knew better than to rush him, if only because he was immovable when he was like this, and so she merely contented herself with fishing out more trash from the fountain as he pondered. "He did, but he went in with an obvious motive, right? To find out if her powers worked in the Refuge." What had they actually learned from that? Gods, Flora couldn't recall. Anyways.

"But...I mean, whatever we might think, she did show up at the meeting of leaders at least pretending like she wanted to talk." Flora continues. "Given how close they are to our shores, even with the protection we have from Vi and Rae, it might not be a bad idea to try and extend some sort of olive branch, if only so that it keeps the target from our shores a little longer."

the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"Mmh." His agreement with her recollection of Sunjata's meeting was subdued as he contemplated all the many ways in which such a meeting could go wrong. It might end as harmlessly as the one in the Grounds had, with nothing injured more than egos and pride, the detritus of broken friendships and shattered trust crumbling in the spindrift chaos of the Void's wake. Painful, yes, but survivable.

But Everest's transformation lingered uneasily in his memory as Flora continued with her reasoning.

"...I do not like it," he rumbled at last, beginning to move once more as he dropped an empty bottle into the sack. "You knew I would not." Or she would have brought it up sooner. But the Tidebreaker paused in his litter-gathering to straighten up and look at his co-ruler, young but strong and not without the scars of experience. His chest rose and a sigh left his body on a long, slow exhalation before he nodded once. "...But I agree." Which were not the words that he wanted to say as her friend, but which were the only ones he could say as King. "We do not know enough." And they could not learn more without risk, one way or another. "And we need time to complete our protections. So. Would it be useful for me to write her a note of apology?" The Doubletake had spent more time observing Dahlia than Hadama had, and he deferred to her greater people skills in how he could support her.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"Mmhm." Crinkling her nose at the Tidebreaker, Flora can only softly roll her eyes as she continues to pick up trash, halting only to hear—wait. He agreed? "Well damn." Grinning, if only because that was likely the last thing she expected to hear from Hadama, it filled Flora with a sense of pride which was perhaps misplaced given the gravity of the situation.

As for an apology?

"Mmmmm...Nah. I can just say that you were, you know, making sure your friend didn't do anything stupid." Even if Hadama had openly glared at the Reaper, Flora obviously couldn't have seen from where she was sitting, he hadn't said anything. "It probably isn't a bad thing for her to think that we support our own people, you know?" If it came up in conversation Flora would have no qualms about throwing Maea right under the bus, and while she'd felt Hadama's actions were unwarranted, that's only because of what she knew of him, but not in general.

"If I die, don't let anyone shit take over the Hanged Man, okay?"

the Tidebreaker

Change author:
That grin did not exactly reassure the Tidebreaker, but the decision was made and the best thing he could do now was support his Queen. "Indeed," he agreed dryly to her damn. But his expression softened a moment later, the reluctance in his eyes replaced with quiet pride in the young woman beside him. "You have earned my trust, Flora," he rumbled quietly, remembering, perhaps, the turbulent beginnings of their shared rulership. "Many times over. If this is the play you have chosen, I will back it."

As for her backup and her escape plan? Curiosity nibbled sharply at his mental fins but he firmly pushed it aside. With Vox's presence so near at hand and mind, some things were better off left unspoken and unknown.

It was because she was his friend, however, that he allowed her to see the relief that he would not need to write a false apology. Her cover story drew an inclination of his head in agreement as he knelt to scoop another armful of litter into the sack that was nearly full. "Mmh. And it will be truth," he agreed. Always an added benefit as far as the Tidebreaker was concerned. "Perhaps it would be more suspicious if one of Safrin's demigods was friendly to her." Something Flora could get away with still, while if Hadama attempted it the ruse would likely fall apart as fast as a three Fae in a trenchcoat trying to pass themselves off as the King.

He straightened and cracked his back, looking around at the much cleaner square around the Fountain with approval before giving Flora his full and solemn attention. "I will not," he promised. "If you promise not to die where your fathers cannot reach you."
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"That means a lot, especially coming from you." The queen murmurs. When she was just a girl, ferried to the water's edge by Maeve and she'd looked upon the then-mer, she'd been utterly fascinated by him. Developing a near instant crush on him, Flora had found herself tongue-tied in his presence. Fast forward a few years and that youthful affection had very nearly turned to hate as Hadama demonstrated the same stalwart approach to politics that he always had, and Flora found herself on the losing end of an election. Now though, years down the line, here they stood, picking up trash. "I really mean that, thanks."

Snorting, the girl nods. "Don't worry. I have a plan if things get to a point that I can't talk my way out of them." What that plan was she still didn't want to say, just in case anyone was listening Vox, but given that Flora had never once viewed herself as a hero, it was safe to say she wasn't just going to needlessly stick her neck out for Torchline without being fairly confident of getting it back unharmed.

"I'll let you know how it goes." She promises, before allowing herself a brief moment to appreciate the work they'd managed to do in such a short amount of time. "I should get going though. Talk soon?" So saying the Doubletake stood on her tippytoes to press a kiss against the king's cheek before disappearing back towards the Hanged Man.

~FIN