high and low
open
Maea Valair
Loreseeker / Guildmaster

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 7 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1312
As it turns out, finding missing people was about as difficult of a job as they came. In days and weeks after speaking to Thalassa, Maea had begun the laborious process of backtracking the captain's footsteps to the moment where she first appeared, washed up on a beach with no memory of her past. It involved speaking to dockworkers and sailors, bartenders and deckhands who may have had contact with the ancient at one point or another. She had also gone through notice boards, hospitals and shrines to pick up lists of missing people, with the reasoning that someone else could be searching for a lost daughter, sister, cousin, friend... With only two years to comb through it could have been worse, but that was also two years worth of connections. 

Retreating to the Hanged Man as the last of her allotted time in Torchline was drawing to a close, Maea settled by a table to eat and go through what she had found so far. Sifting through stacks of notes, her half-eaten bowl of stew was soon forgotten as paper took up increasingly more of the table's surface, names and locations marching up and down sprawling annotations in a dogged pursuit of some connection that might lead her to a new clue worth pursuing. As the evening progressed, more and more people began to flood into the tavern, but despite the loud volume and occasional scrape between belligerent drunkards, the white-haired little woman barely even noticed.

Only when someone staggered into the table and jolted it enough to send ink swilling over the edge of the bottle did she finally look up, a soft frown of annoyance the loudest part of her protest.
Maea
Just a glimpse of truth
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Elizabeth Fraiser
Mental/Physical/Electrical Therapist

Age: 22 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Dew Offline
Change author:
MP: 550

Elizabeth

Reading in a sunny grass glade was a nearly perfect feeling, but crowded bars? Even better. Not only could she escape into the depths of people's relationships, she could read as well! Sometimes she would even bring a notebook to document her observations, pretending to scan the words on her pages while eavesdropping on those around her. Today was one of those days as she gathered her writing and reading supplies in her arms, weaving her way through the packed tables. After the long work week, the rowdy crowd was just getting started for the night. It was the perfect time to hear what the occupants were saying before they got too drunk and started speaking absolute nonsense. 

Scanning the crowd, she spotted a lone woman pouring over a set of papers and felt a kindred spirit in her. Although she was tempted to request a seat at her table, she'd spotted an empty one farther back, nestled against the wall. If the woman was anything like her, she probably didn't want to be interrupted. Working her way towards the other open space, she stepped to avoid the loud, boisterous gestures of a particularly excited man, not noticing that her avoidance had her bumping the edge of that exact woman's table. A grimace passed her face and Elizabeth steadied herself against the wood. She held her breath as the ink bottle staggered slightly, the oily liquid barely cresting the top while simultaneously toeing the line of unleashing chaos. When it began to recede back within the bottle, her breath paused for another second before releasing into the charged air. With a sheepish smile, she looked down at the glaring white-haired woman. "That was a close one. Sorry for the mini heart attack." Glancing at the scattering of papers, she asked, "I didn't disturb anything else, did I?" Her own book and journal sat snug in her grasp against the cozy cream shawl that covered her purple travel gown.
Every adversity,
every failure,
every heartache
carries with it
the seed of equal or greater benefit.
Maea Valair
Loreseeker / Guildmaster

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Setting eyes upon a sweet looking young woman with her arms full of writing supplies, Maea's expression softened. Peering past her towards the boisterous man, she could understand the desire to take a detour. Returning attention to her work, she picked up a wad of paper from a pocket in her shadow-black velvet dress to blotoff the spilled ink. 
"It's alright, no harm done," she replied with a quick smile. "My fault for keeping the ink where it might spill. Do you need somewhere to sit? I can contain my madness. Or try, at least."

Gesturing to the sprawling paper landscape, she reached out to begin condensing the space she took up, only to pause and look up, waiting for an answer before committing to sharing. It was an inevitable risk while working out of office, but given the shared intent here, she didn't expect to mind the company.
Maea
Just a glimpse of truth
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Elizabeth Fraiser

Age: 22 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Elizabeth

It was a relief to see the pale woman relax at her apology and Elizabeth returned the expression with an appreciative smile. At least the ink hadn't spread too far. About to decline the offer, she glanced up to see a group of men claiming the empty table for a round of card games. That table wouldn't be opening up for a while. Wincing at the intrusion, she set her supplies on the edge of the table. "I actually do. Thank you." Her eyes scanned the fanning of papers, noticing the organization amongst the apparent tornado of words. "Don't let me interrupt your process though. I only need a spot for my book." The single leather-bound volume accompanied her journal, its title reading 'Boundaries of History'. Her bookmark sat at the beginning, indicating that she hadn't gotten far into the book about past civilizations' physical, relational, and moral boundaries. 

Pulling up a chair, she gave the woman a friendly smile to introduce herself, although she withheld her hand to avoid jostling the table again. "I'm Elizabeth, by the way. Elizabeth Fraiser." She shrugged her shawl closer over her shoulders and settled more comfortably into the chair. Now that the papers were so close in front of her face, she resisted the urge to snoop at their contents. There were quite a lot of them after all. So in an attempt to quell her encroaching curiosity, she asked lightly, "What are you working on?"
Every adversity,
every failure,
every heartache
carries with it
Maea Valair
Loreseeker / Guildmaster

Change author:
Beginning to shift her work aside to make room for her new table-guest, Maea shook her head with a smile. "It's not so much a process as a lack of organization," she admitted. "It just helps me to lay out the pieces where I can see them." And with this many of them, the chaos was remarkable even for her.

Looking up from rearranging the notes she nodded in return at the introduction, respecting the lack of handshaking as a personal preference. "I'm Maea Valair. Pleasure to meet you, eh - can I call you Elizabeth?" More accustomed to the first name address as that's what she'd grown up around, she hoped the young woman wouldn't be one of those uppity people who wanted sir and madame and stiff bows at the end of each sentence. Given her preference for reading in a bar... Maea judged the risk as slim.
"A missing person. Or rather, she is the one missing her past. Since it's adjacent to my line of work, I thought I'd try digging a bit."

Having managed to condense the madness down to only half the table, the petite woman leaned back in her seat with a content nod, and stole a glance at the book Elizabeth had brought. The title intrigued her; she hadn't read it, but recalled moving a copy of it between shelves while helping the archivists in the Atheneum.
"What about you? Work or pleasure?" It seemed perhaps a bit hefty for a pleasure read, but who was she to judge.
Maea
Just a glimpse of truth
Elizabeth Fraiser

Change author:

Elizabeth

"Please! Feel free to call me whatever: Elizabeth, Liz, Elle, Eliza, Beth. Whatever suits your fancy." Her parents had diligently refused to shorten her name, but Elizabeth personally enjoyed nicknames. It would be nice to have someone feel comfortable enough to toss away the pleasantries. Plus, it was hard to use her name quickly. What if people needed to get her attention or wanted to shout with joy at seeing her? That was hard to do with a four-syllable name!

The talk of amnesia intrigued her and she had to contain the onslaught of questions threatening to burst forth. Instead, she narrowed it down to one, leaning forward with rapt attention, "Interesting! What information do you have so far?" Her comment about the investigation aligning with her profession also piqued her interest and Elizabeth tried to not to bombard Maea with too much all at once, asking simply, "What is your line of work?" Hopefully she wasn't coming on too strong, since she apparently had a tendency to do so. 

Chuckling lightly at the question of her own activities, Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders but didn't hide the smile. "Considering my work is my pleasure? Both?" As way of explanation, she continued. "I'm a therapist. I can find relatable scenarios in anything." Her hand lingered on the book like a gentle embrace. It wasn't a common reading material for most, yet it dived into so many important practices about setting boundaries which most people struggled with.
Every adversity,
every failure,
every heartache
carries with it
Maea Valair
Loreseeker / Guildmaster

Change author:
Pleased, if a bit bashful in the face of the woman's exuberance, Maea nodded and murmured something like 'maybe I will then, thanks' only to immediately backtrack and brand her forever as Elizabeth in her mind. "I'm a loreseeker," she revealed, with a lopsided grin. "Normally I dig through libraries and explore forgotten places for lost history... It didn't feel like too much of a stretch to narrow it down to one person's history." She didn't mind the interest towards her work, but given that it was a private matter for Thalassa, she skimped on the details as she explained what she had been doing so far. Backtracking the current history to find some clue on where to begin searching in earnest, as well as cross-referencing with missing person's reports and hospital records. There were some gaping holes left, alas.
"I have yet to speak to the merfolk," she sighed, "and there's still Stormbreak, King's End and Halo to search... and at least two of those will be giving me a good amount of grief." Far more than she could accomplish in one go, especially since she had other work to attend to. But it was a start.

Then it was her turn to perk up with interest gleaming in pale eyes. Reaching for her bowl of stew, she sifted through the now cold sauce for the pieces of meat and considered what she knew. "That is a form of mind healing, is it not? I hear it's big in Stormbreak and growing in other regions... I grew up in the Grounds, don't recall there being many, if any at all." Certainly they would have been rounded up and branded healers, and been overworked in a place where trauma and tragedy was more common than joy. "Do you see patients, or is it a theoretical pursuit?"
Maea
Just a glimpse of truth
Elizabeth Fraiser

Change author:

Elizabeth

She'd met a few loreseekers in her travels growing up, cuddling up by the fire to pick their brains about one thing or another. Her parents had even sought them out for information on local histories. In exchange, they gave whatever information they'd gathered. To meet one now was reassuring in a way. At least the Void hadn't discouraged people from appreciating their past. 

Elizabeth took mental notes about the mystery woman's missing memories. It sounded like quite the puzzle. She happened to like puzzles immensely. "So this woman is an Ancient who doesn't remember anything before Torchline? I'd think this is the best place to start as any." Other than her parents settling down in Haulani, she hadn't been to the area in awhile. However, she seemed to recall her parents mentioning some drama with a mermaid at the time. Not many people were talking about it, but their connections left them privy to certain rumors. Tilting her head, she said, "It may be nothing, but I might suggest checking with the Merfolk first." Not knowing much besides the gossip, she didn't want to say more than that. 

The simple explanation had her chuckling. "I guess that's a good way to put it. The purpose is to help people process their thoughts. Whether that's issues with confidence, anxiety, trauma, or if they simply want someone to talk to. I see patients in whatever setting makes them comfortable." Her smile was warm and reassuring. She understood that most people found the idea intimidating, but it didn't have to be. The point wasn't really for her to intervene. It was to give the patients (or 'clients' as some preferred to be called) the tools to manage their own mental and emotional states.
Every adversity,
every failure,
every heartache
carries with it
Maea Valair
Loreseeker / Guildmaster

Change author:
Maea agreed of course, that's why she had decided to start the search here. Elizabeth's comment aboit starting with the merfolk earned her a searching look. "What makes you say that?"

Processing that tidbit of explanation, Maea picked through the cold stew for her favorite pieces and chewed slowly, sharp teeth slicing easily through tough meat and crunchy vegetables. Grease clung to her tongue, and the reached for her drink to wash it down.
"That's interesting," she mumbled. "What would a session look like, if you don't mind my asking? Does it involve magic in any way?"

Evie's suggestion that she should speak to a therapist kept prodding her. Maea had shrugged it off at the time, disliking the idea of exposing herself to a stranger... yet now here one was anyway, like a sign from the gods or perhaps some twist of fate. Was it too convenient? Perhaps. But it was also a chance, if she was brave enough to take a risk...
Maea
Just a glimpse of truth
Elizabeth Fraiser

Change author:

Elizabeth

Elizabeth shook her head. "It could have just been baseless gossip, but a few years ago, my parents heard rumors of some drama surrounding some merfolk artists' daughter. They kept it so hush hush that no one knew any details. All we heard was that something had occurred." It wasn't much and it probably wouldn't prove to be anything more than a random pregnancy scandal, but on the off chance that it could be more, she was willing to share the information with Maea. 

On the topic of therapy, Elizabeth tried to keep the conversation light and open, summoning a server to bring her a glass of wine before smiling warmly at the pale Ancient. "Sometimes it involves magic, if they're looking for a more physical healing." Raising her hands, she let the subtle electric sparks run across her fingertips then placed them back on the table, accepting her drink when it arrived. Elizabeth leaned forward to support her chin on her propped arm. "However, most of the time we just talk. Some people prefer to get input on their thoughts and emotions while other people just want to be heard. Often times, I'm more of a sounding board than anything else." Taking a moment to sip her red wine, she let her words ruminate.
Every adversity,
every failure,
every heartache
carries with it
Maea Valair
Loreseeker / Guildmaster

Change author:
Automatically reaching for her pen, Maea scribbled down a note in the margin of a list while she listened. "It might be nothing, but I can definitely ask around," she mumbled, doing a fairly good job of hiding her excitement. Even if it would lead to nothing, at least here she had a thread to pull, something to plan around. "Thank you, that's actually really helpful." Smiling warmly at the younger woman, she raised her cider in a toast to off chances and needles in haystacks.

With her own work mostly out of the way, the topic of therapy was perhaps a bit more personal in interest than purely theoretical. Humming softly under breath, the pale ancient chased a crumb across the surface of the table. Debating whether to swallow this dangling hook or not. It probably hadn't been Elizabeth's intention to hunt for clients while coming here this evening... but there was also a very real risk of never finding her again if they parted ways without anything being said.

Heaving a sigh, Maea threw caution to the wind.
"So, if I were to express a need for some, uh, therapy... How would that work?" A tint of red appeared in her cheeks, awkward and embarrassed to admit to a stranger that she needed anything at all.
Maea
Just a glimpse of truth
Elizabeth Fraiser

Change author:

Elizabeth

Her own glass was raised in toast. "Of course. Let me know if you need any other help." Even if it was just an extra set of ears during her investigation, Elizabeth was willing to assist. She didn't have a lot of other tasks at the moment and her clients were willing to meet anywhere and everywhere. 

As Maea finally broached the topic she'd been skirting, Elizabeth gave her a warm smile of encouragement. She noted the embarrassment but didn't comment on it. Speaking in the realm of possibilities, she said, "We would set a date and time then we'd meet for our first session to get a feel for goals and overall chemistry. It could be wherever is most comfortable." Some people preferred to meet at home in their own space. Others chose to use her office as a neutral safe place. However, she'd also met people in the middle of a sunny field with no civilization in sight. 

Taking a sip of her wine to keep the atmosphere light, she let Maea set the speed. It actually wasn't uncommon for her to find new clients while travelling, but she found that it was most helpful to let them guide the conversation lest she scare them off by moving too quickly.
Every adversity,
every failure,
every heartache
carries with it
Maea Valair
Loreseeker / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Thank you, I will."

With a new lead to consider and since she was making no headway on the notes, Maea began to gather up the papers in a stack. It served a dual purpose of giving her some time to think, and a reason not to notice the patient expression on the other woman's face. She knew that look. Had seen it on healers all throughout her childhood, when they waited for her to stop squirming so that they could do their job or feed her some sticky medicine. With knots tying and untying in her stomach, it was a challenge to remain seated and actually consider what she knew she ought to do, instead of simply getting up to leave.

"Then... I should like to book an appointment," she pressed out slowly, in the manner of one about to get her teeth pulled. "Unless... would the Grounds be too far to travel?" Looking up, Maea didn't realize how her expression shifted between relief and disappointment. As always, her emotions were so easy to read; she'd never been good at hiding them for long.
Maea
Just a glimpse of truth
Elizabeth Fraiser

Change author:

Elizabeth

Elizabeth watched as Maea gathered up her investigation papers, looking very much like a squirrel trying to gather its nuts. It wasn't necessarily a funny sight as it was an interesting observation. Was she hiding from Elizabeth, or her own emotions? Was the investigation a deflection or a distraction? She was tempted to write a few notes, already trying to understand how the Ancient's thoughts processed. 

But she resisted, laughing politely at the question. "Not at all. The Hollowed Grounds is quite easy to access." Giving Maea a reassuring smile, she asked, "How about the beginning of next week?" She pulled out a pen and elegantly wrote her address on a strip of paper before offering it in a slide across the wooden table. "You can send me a specific time and place of your choosing. I'll be there." The ball would be entirely in Maea's court. She could change her mind at any point or change the intimacy level of their meeting. It would be up to her. 

Leaning back into her chair, she took another sip of wine, letting the gesture indicate her intentions to stay a little longer. She hadn't yet completed her observations of the other patrons and she wanted some time to prepare for her new client. A warm, light smile played across her face. "Thank you for inviting me to your table, Maea. I would have regretted not getting to meet you tonight. I hope we can meet again soon." It wasn't a dismissal, but a pleasant observation with aspirations for future interactions.
Every adversity,
every failure,
every heartache
carries with it