With the stroke of the oars.
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Are
Laden with furs, leathers and a simple basket filled to the brim with wares Are had set to making good of all the promises he'd lived on for the last weeks. The settlement had been a breeze to slowly dole out his wares to, immediate neighbors popping by now and then to make small talk and exchange what they had for what they needed. Say what you want about finicky and finger-breaking work, but it at least kept him busy and fed. His head had slowly been improving as well. Leaving him less and less bothered by sudden vertigo and explosions of lights and color, but the gaps still persisted. Spots in his mind where things where left shrouded in mist.

It was all in a day's work though. A burden to bear for the cobbler but one he gladly accepted as long as he could make some more headway. Keeping the worries out of his head and filling the void with shoes and more worldly bothers. Like how in the nine worlds he was supposed to have all he carried delivered before sundown.

With a creak of leather and a groan he sat himself down in a narrow alleyway and uncorked his water skin, a few deep gulps chasing away the fire in his throat.

"Heill?" he shouted down the alley, thinking for a moment he'd heard someone shuffle in the deep shadows between the wilting buildings.

Killian Soleil
Scout

Age: 27 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Zoa Offline
Change author:
KILLIAN
One thing that Killian knew very well was the positions of the sun in the sky. He was made to learn everything there was to know about her, it was all part of the whole heir to the goddess thing. As a young child, the classes had been extremely boring and he’d paid little attention (hence it took him much longer than others his age to learn these dealings). He would never thank the reign for anything, however that knowledge was now ingrained in his head, and so he could almost always tell the time, and always knew which cardinal direction was where.

Well almost always.

He’d been out exploring all day, a little further than yesterday. He could tell that night was nearing, and he had a hot date with his bed that he didn’t want to be late for. But not for the life of him, even with the help of his master directional skills, could Kiki find the clinic. All the roads in this dilapidated sanctuary looked the same, and frankly he didn’t even know which direction he’d come from anymore. He had thus far refused to ask anyone for help, a mixture of stubbornness and pride kept him from it. Instead he walked into yet another dark alleyway.

Or was it another? He might’ve been here before. Yep, cause there was that same crack in the cobble of the... Killian groaned, and shuffled defeatedly towards the wall. Then with a frustrated, ”Fuck,” he rested his head against the wall and just stood there.

A voice at the end of the alleyway jolted the boy from his stupor, and he lifted his head to look at the man who had called out. He was tall, and curly haired, and clad in leathers. Killian gave him a blank, eyebrow raised stare for a moment, looking very lost.

”Oh, hey,” he called back, popping back into reality and starting towards the other man. Ok, so maybe a little help wouldn’t tarnish any reputations. ”Hey, so I’m new here and I’m tryna get back to the clinic but I think I’m lost,” he said with a soft laugh.

baby baby don’t be so shy
rock children hold your heads up high
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Are
The rough cobbler raised an eyebrow at the man, boy, approaching him. Not that he himself felt more than a child, especially not dressed down like he had been several times, but hard living did things to a person. Things that kept one worrying, aging at breakneck speeds even though the seasons dragged on. The boy lacked the worry, and the lines that followed. Any lines at all it seemed. Neither the wear and tear or the telltale pallid aura those born of the gray lands was present. All of these details noted in one short moment, superfluous though, as a simple look at his clothes should've been enough to tell Are he was greeted by a soul fresher to Caido than even himself.

So he put on his best smile, getting back on his feet to properly greet the new comer. "Heill ok sæll, stranger! I am Are, just a cobbler!" he said and offered the newcomer a small bow. "I'm afraid I don't travel these parts much myself, but I'll help you look, least I can do..." offering what little he could to one in a place he had found himself in just a few weeks prior.

Repaying his debts, it's what he had tried to do from the very first sodden steps he'd taken on Caido's soil. The bard, the warrior, and the lands themselves. For the home he'd been given he'd give what he could back to the world.

"So, what brings you to Caido my friend?"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian was met with a hardy and friendly introduction, a somewhat surprising response that was received with a wide grin. Phoebe had been right, there were many here who were kind and willing to welcome him. At least he wouldn’t feel alone, that much he was sure of.

”Nice to meet you Are, I’m Killian, or Kiki, whatever floats your boat,” he said with a friendly nod. The man’s help was appreciated, Killian made it known in the gracious look on is face. ”I thought I could find my own way without looking like an idiot, but I’m pretty sure the lady I passed about three times disagrees, so really thank you,” he joked in that friendly chit chatty manner.

What brings you to Caido my friend? Now that was the question wasn’t it. Killian’s toothy grin faded a bit, as he tried to think about what to say. All that he’d lost was still rather fresh in his mind. The wound of losing everything he knew - his mother, his home, his friends, even the goddess - still raw. But it was beginning to heal, friendly interactions like this certainly helped. ”Wish I knew,” he replied, ”One minute I was running, the next I was falling.”

Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
The stranger's return smile made him feel better about his initial gauging of him, a kind outlander just like himself. Well, at the best of times at least. The friendly reply cemented his first impression, one of his own heart, and exactly what the world needed. Just a little drop of sunshine in the gloomy gray.

It only made Are cringe even harder at that touch of shadow his question invoked. A darkness he knew far too well and should've known better than to remind the newcomer of. A better man was not one that ran around poking at fresh wounds like that, especially not when his careless jab was met with such grace.

He bit the inside of his cheek and scratched at the ever present shade on his chin, mottled eyes flashing a pang of regret and sympathy. "Sorry, Killian. I know the pain, far, far too well..." he said and offered up a somber smile while his fingers where busy tugging at the reminder of a life left behind. One last thread to the past.

"Running, eh? You didn't saw what took you?" while his fingers where callused and deft, his tongue where akin to long tongs; fumbling with changing subject with any tact, and not helped by his craggy dialect. "An oar did me in, an oar and a quick tumble into Ägir's domains." his hands drawing the scene before him and gesticulating the cobbler's sodden demise as he went into the cold waters.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
The kind other seemed to realize quickly the reservations Killian had about discussing the switch, and offered genuine sympathy and understanding. He wasn't alone in this, other's had gone through it too. It was comforting to feel understood. "It's alright, it's not the worst thing that could've happened I guess," he replied with a grimace, unsure of how much be believed himself in that statement.

What took him? No, he didn't remember anything taking him per say. The last sight he'd had of his world was the tall and vibrant wheat grass swaying ahead of him and whipping at his ankles. And then the water. "Yeah, I was running through a field, and I stepped in a puddle except I went through it, and all of a sudden I was in the middle of the woods, covered in water," he said. That was how it happened, though out loud it sounded rather silly. Like the beginning of a fairy tale. Some fairy tale this was.

Are's story involved an oar, and something called Ägir. "You got hit with an oar and woke up here?" he asked, eyebrows raised. Somehow this story might've been even worse than his, for at least Killian had been conscious when he'd arrived.

Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
The optimism was admirable, truly so, but he couldn't help but to scratch his head under the fur-lined hat. A small head shake of disbelief at it all, a life plucked from a world now long gone. A flame snuffed out by the whim of gods much greater than anything they could even imagine, at least far greater than what the meager expanses of the cobbler's imagination could conjure.

"Yes, we we're making a break for it, but rough seas and a good solid piece of spruce right between the eyes sealed my fate. Last I remember is my lungs filling up with icy lakewater." he said, voice growing dark as he retold his last memories of Midgård. A slowly fading sky and a sodden tunic dragging him down the abode of the dead. He consciously left out what had him most bothered, there was a time and place for everything, but she deserved more respect than as a twist to a story of a bad nightmare.

"But in the end it was all for the better." he then added, the spring in his verbal step returning. "Even the dead needs shoes, and a lot of them! Good on the gods for picking an industrious cobbler." Are laughed at his own silly joke, to think the gods had anything in mind for him beyond what little he made for himself was just unthinkable. Well, it had been until the Voice made her intentions clear.

Intentions that, upon remembering them, awoke a thought. "Say, what is it you do?" he asked, eyebrow cocked.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Are’s story was much more climactic than Killian’s, and more frightening as well. A look of sympathy similar to the one Are had shown for him creased in his forehead, and Killian apologized sincerely, ”I’m sorry man.” Are appeared rather solemn for a moment, but the rebound was quick and lightening. Kiki found himself laughing along with the cobbler, even when he didn’t entirely get he humor. Are was just so affable, it was easy to mould to his disposition.

Kiki leaned a bit closer when asked another question, his hand moving to rub his forehead as he thought. What did he do? He assumed that the cobbler was asking about a job, and frankly Killian had never had one. Half of his life was spent being groomed to be some great leader, and the other half was him trying to run away from it. He had many skills, but none directly translated into something breadwinning.

A soft chuckle and a shake of his head, the boy shook his hand down in a shruggish move. ”Honestly, I don’t really know. It’s a long story, but where I’m from I didn’t do work exactly, it was more just training. But I like to explore, and I’m good with directions,” he said, then remembered how fucking lost he’d been not long ago and added, ”Usually. Anyway I’d like to find something to do here, I just don’t really know where I fit in yet.”

Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
The simple matter of not knowing one's way in life where as alien to Are as he was to the new world. Sure, there was always indecision and sometimes even outliers abandoning the family tradition to find the quick way to Valhall. Or worse, Nidingr attracting the ire of people and gods alike with their evil deeds. Are shuddered at the thought and the memories it invoked. A sharp bitter taste, the world slowly slipping away, and the shouts of a plot gone awry. He quickly swallowed it back down and struck the dark path he'd gone down out of his mind. Not in all of Midgård, or Niflheim for that matter, could he see the young man with the sunny disposition get that lost.

"Maybe..." he began to give the seed of an idea a voice, but stopped himself before he again let his tongue outrun his thoughts. Although, a possible extra set of hands, dainty as they might've been, wasn't something the cobbler would just throw away to get chewed up by some unspeakable horror dwelling in some inky black crevasse of the pallid world. He took his few moments, stroking his chin and pondering the idea.

"You know.." he finally said, breaking the short moment of thoughtful silence. "If adventuring with the Loreseekers ever gets tiring, there's a whole lotta feet here, and few hands to shoe them..." Are said with a laugh, giving Killian a little nudge and a wink.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian hadn’t expected the other man to find his way for him, but it was nice of him to try and help, and he actually did bring up a pretty decent point. Jigano has mentioned that the lore seekers were also explorers, that they sought new information for their records through adventuring. Sure Killian didn’t care much more books, but he wouldn’t be too bad at gathering the information to go in them. It was something to look in to, Jigano or others from the Atheneum likely held more answers than Are, but he was extremely grateful for what the cobbler had to say anyhow.

He laughed out loud at Are’s joke, imagining himself making shoes was pretty damn funny. Not because it would be bad for him or anything, it’d be bad for the shoes. ”Well I guess if you want all your shoes to look like a blind person made them, I’d be your guy.” he replied, then added in all seriousness, ”Nah I don’t think cobbling is really my thing, I’ve never been that great at making things. But if you ever need help with anything, I’d be happy to try,” he offered in a friendly tone.

Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
He returned the laugh with a smile, a glint of something in his eyes visible for a short moment but hidden as he looked down on his wares. Dismissal at first, but followed by that careful optimism Caido, Hel, Niflheim so sorely needed. Just enough encouragement to rekindle a flame the ruins spoke of. One so bright it would've made the night sky like day again. Maybe it was just what was needed careful optimism. Are chuckled at his own high soaring dreams, a cobbler momentarily caught in delusions.

"A willingness to try, and to make mistakes, is the first step, any help is appreciated and rewarded." he said and tossed Killian a shoe plucked out of the basket. "What do you see? Just a shoe?" the question was asked with a touch of mirth to it, the cobbler savoring the journey for once instead of rushing to make a point.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian nodded to Are’s words, a willingness to try and make mistakes. That, the boy did have. The curly headed cobbler then reached into a basket and tossed a shoe towards Kiki and asked what he saw. He caught the shoe with one hand, glanced at Are quizzically, then began to inspect it. He turned it over with a pondering look, following its seams and shine with his eyes. After a feeling the material with a rub of his thumb, he turned to Are again with a shrug. He’d never been great at riddles like these, he was a much more straightforward type. ”A nice shoe! Looks like you put a lot of work into it, but yeah” he said, then glanced back to the shoe in his hand, ”A shoe.”
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Are nodded and picked up the mate of the pair. Running fingers down the seams, inspecting the sole and carefully eyeing the grain of the leather. To a layman it was just as Killian said; a shoe, a well made one, but just a shoe. To Are, or any cobbler worth their salt, it was so much more if you knew what to look for. Beyond the stories of the choices and mistakes was the little personal memories the craft invoked. To his mind it all melded together to one great mass of just daily work, but his fingers knew better.

He found himself in a strange state of proud melancholy as he let his fingers sing poems of days slaving away, just anything to fill the head with something other than the myriad of why's and how's that just kept coming. He was about to start down that very same path but looked up at the perplexed stranger new friend. Are had forgotten where he was going with his little riddle. Safe to say he never had the knack for the inspiring little stories like his father had, keeping the boys entertained for hours on end and making the hard work just a little more bearable. Still, just like he said not a minute prior, making mistakes is the first step.

"A nice shoe indeed, and thank you for that, but to me it's a place in the world. If I'm not the 'Are the cobbler', then who am I? I don't really know where I was going with this, I am a cobbler and not a bard after all." he said and looked up at Killian, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth "But that simple turnshoe is a symbol of my life, kinda. Simple, but sturdy and well made. I see that you want more, see more. Fancy, dyed, embossed boots with silver buttons are nice, sure, but don't dismiss the seemingly simple shoe for being dull. There might be more to it than you could imagine." a wink and a smile, the simplest touch of personal flair on the cobbled together metaphor.

"Actually, I know a man quite like you. An adventurous fellow, at least when he's not drunk I guess. A good man who talks about being bad, talks about being great, glory, fame, riches, all of that stuff. Far too focused on what he wants to be though, losing what he is. I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't lose yourself..." Are said, maybe more to himself than to Killian. His voice falling to not much more than a mumble, but perking up as soon as he realized he was caught in thought again. "But there's something to be said for glory and adventure though." he said and the smile returned.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Are seemed to be lost in thought quite often, his response was just a moment after what it might've been. Killian was similar in that way, he was a bit of a daydreamer. Though unlike Are, his whimsical thoughts never translated that well into words. He could think up something profound in his mind but struggle to find the proper prose to express it.

When Are did speak again he had much to say. Killian reflected on it, that his job was part of who he was. He hadn't thought about it that way before, but Are made a great point. What he chose to do could partly define who he was. The choices he would soon have to make weren't about what paid the best or what was closest to what. It was about who he wanted to be. He'd never really been given that kind of choice before, since he was a child he'd had one fate, one path to walk down, only occasionally breaking for the tree line but always being spat back out on the same road.

Now there was a fork in the path, many of them, diverging in all manner of ways and leading to entirely different places. And the decision was all his to make. And he heard what Are said about choosing the simpler path, but Kiki wasn't sure he wanted that. He wanted the fancy, dyed, embossed shoes with silver buttons, and not because the other was less adequate, but because the silver buttons called to him, in the way they shined. It was in his nature, and maybe this chapter of his fate was engraved in his bones.

A pleased smile pulled at his lips as he looked to Are again, having come to these conclusions in a mere moment. He was also given a warning, not to delve too deeply into glamor, not to lose what he is in what he wants to be. Unfortunately, this bit of the advice was taken lightly, as Killian's head was already swimming with the glorious things he could do.

The boy smiled, a warm smile with a hint of gratitude in his honey brown eyes, "I don't think I have to worry about losing myself, this place is so different from my home. I'm not really changing anything important, I'm just adding to it. Me," he said, correcting himself. His smiled widened to a grin at Are's last comment about glory and adventure.

"Hey thanks man, this has been really helpful actually. So seriously if there's anything I could ever help you with let me know," Killian added, having no wisdom of his own to impart upon the older man, he felt the need to offer something.