Court of the Fallen
Grim Omens - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Grim Omens (/showthread.php?tid=1040)

Grim Omens - Bastien - 04-25-2019

Setting off to explore outside the barrier, Bastien had been a little disappointed that all he and Rexanna had come across for a long while was woodland. Pretty woodland sure, a little hard to navigate, with odd shadows and whispers as if someone were watching...but it was all just trees, all the same. He wasn't sure what it was he had been expecting, but it was more than some bark and leaves.

In some ways he was glad. He was still concerned for Rexanna's safety and while trees were boring, they didn't usually leave people for dead or cause them much harm. Thought it was a far cry from the adventure they had planned together...

[say]"What if -"[/say] He asked back to Rexanna, as he stepped over a root. [say]"-The whole rest of the continent is nothing but trees? Perhaps we resided in the one interesting part of the whole land. I've been told of fairies around here, but..."[/say] Bastien shook his head skeptically. He wasn't sure why, given the existence of vampires and Gods walking the earth here, but fairies seemed a step too far into make-believe.

Little did he know they were about to come across something that was not a tree at all, a shock of red on the landscape. Bastien heard the water and turned to Rexanna, not seeing the red behind him. [say]"Where do you think that water is, cara?"[/say]

RE: Grim Omens - Rexanna - 04-28-2019

If she were being honest, she had expected a great expanse past the trees and woodlands, of depths unknown to any within the Hollowed Grounds left open to explore and fend from creatures here and there. What she hadn’t expected, were trees upon trees upon trees, and while they were beautiful and vibrant, fresh and different from the ones that they had back home, they were still trees; and she was bored of them already. But they had set out on the adventure together, and she followed Bastien closely, eyes scrutinizing everything as they stepped and she shouldered her smaller pack.

He began to speak and she listened to the rumble of his voice as they stepped over a root, her attention to him yet still her surroundings as he shook his head. She snorted in response, a small laugh that wrinkled her nose while she thought about it. “[say]They’re pretty woods, but gods how boring would that be. Would a map even be required at that point? There’s trees everywhere.[/say]” She whined to him as they stopped and she thought about his last statement. “[say]I think I saw one at the Festival, she had wings and seemed quite confused?[/say]” She mused, thinking of Eliza in that brief moment as she met Phoebe for the flower crown.

But it didn’t last long, as they walked and Bastien turned to her, she shouldered her pack and let her sapphire gaze slip across his body briefly before resting on his face. She heard the water too, and as she looked behind him, her dark brows lifted slightly as she stepped up to Bastien and past him – her gaze lingering on something unique. “[say]There?[/say]” She questioned, a pale hand lifting to point as she drew closer toward the edge to spot a tiny trickle of clear water, flowing down to the bottom of a basin of sorts. Her eyes following it until it hit red and a memory flashed before her eyes of a similar place, red waterfalls, destruction and terrible things – and yet life too.

Her head tilted and brows drew together in confusion. “[say]Why is it red though?[/say]” She questioned, half to him and half to herself as she squatted along the side to peer down toward it.

RE: Grim Omens - Bastien - 04-29-2019

[say]"Any map I drew would be so green it would be hideously gauche."[/say] Bastien complained, picking a leaf from a nearby tree and crushing it between his fingertips. He had never cared for green. It was a colour of daytime, life, of saccharine park scenes and boring pastoral hills; he preferred to paint the night doused in dark purples and golds.

Rexanna claimed to have seen one of the Fae at the festival. She had no reason to lie as far as he knew, but he had not noticed such a thing; had he really been so wrapped up in himself? Bastien did not consider himself self-absorbed, no more so than the average person. [say]"Wings. How big was she?"[/say] In his mind fairies were tiny things of a few inches, characters from children's books that hid in jars.

He turned as Rexanna pointed and froze in place as he saw the red water. Immediately he thought it a river of blood. Instead of being horrified he was fascinated, ran over to the water's edge and knelt there next to her, dipping his finger in. [say]"...Hm. Too thin to be blood. Perhaps...it is enchanted somehow? Should we chance a drink?"[/say]

RE: Grim Omens - Rexanna - 05-01-2019

As Bastien spoke of creating a map, a map entirely washed in green, she snickered slightly. “[say]That does sound awful.[/say]” She agreed easily before she became distracted by the memory of the Fae she had seen at the festival. She shrugged her shoulders slightly, following and coming up beside Bastien with a small half smile. “[say]Shorter than I am, but not by much.[/say]” She joked, gesturing to herself and all of her 5”4 entirety. Rexanna wasn’t very tall, but she also wasn’t tiny either. In her mind, she was just right.

But she stepped past Bastien to view the crimson waterfall, with a flood of memories, another life and another time, that came falling toward her with the rushing water. She clutched her pack a bit tighter, squinting against the red as Bastien stepped to the edge and dipped his fingers in and informed her it wasn’t blood — relieving to say the least. She exhaled slightly, eyes drifting from Bastien to the water again. “[say]Have you ever had memories of a different life you’ve lived? Like there’s another version of you out there doing different things and you can remember it like your own?[/say]” She questioned, knowing full well it sounds stupid as soon as it left her lips. She winced slightly with the question, but shook her head toward him.

“[say]You can if you like, but it’s reminding me of something from a different time — it’s… strange. And I’d rather not chance it personally.[/say]” She mused, uncertain if in that moment she should tell him of everything that happened. That she knew Deimos in that other time, that she had many children, dated a man similar and so unlike Bastien, who had fathered the majority of those children. She tightened her mouth into a fine line as she regarded the crimson water with a speculative eye.

RE: Grim Omens - Bastien - 05-02-2019

Shorter than I am, though not by much. Bastien pulled a face, frankly not very impressed with these apparently mythical creatures. In fact, he halfway suspected some kind of trick. He had seen plenty of 'mermaids' and 'pixies' at shows in Venice, travelling tents with darkened rooms and cheap costumes benefitted by a good story. And what better story was there than a myth?

But whatever the origin of the Fae stories, Rexanna asked him a rather fascinating question. He looked across at her with a little half-smile, liking philosophical wonderings such as this but also unsure of why she had asked at this moment.

[say]"...I suppose we all feel a little like that, us 'Outlanders'."[/say] He pointed out. When you had literally been plucked from a life and placed in another at the turn of a second, it was hard to not feel like two people in one soul. But he suspected she meant beyond, before, so Bastien began again: [say]"But...yes, I did sometimes dream so passionately of other paths I felt them as if lives I could have lived. Is that...what you mean?"[/say]

She advised him not to taste the water and as much as he wanted to he had to admit she was probably right. He swirled his finger in it, watching the red ripples bloom. [say]"Is there something troubling you, cara?"[/say]

RE: Grim Omens - Rexanna - 05-05-2019

As she mused, she breathed perhaps a small sigh of relief as Bastien agreed. But where he began to explain it, it was still different on her end. It wasn’t a dream she’d had so vibrantly that she could feel it – it was another life lived, full of memories and wonderful and terrible things, and the more she stared at the red water the more she felt those memories rise and strive for control – an attack, heavily pregnant with twins, another brand – then life. She chewed on the inside of her lip for a few moments, almost forgetting that Bastien was there until she told him not to drink the water – and when he turned to her, her eyes faltered slightly as she stared further into the water.

“[say]It’s so strange. It doesn’t really feel like a dream? Like a true life, with reoccurring memories of different times and different days.[/say]” She shrugged slightly, kneeling now in the soft earth as her gaze slipped from the water to the shore. “[say]There was a place like this, in that other land. That’s how I know Deimos – he was my King.[/say]” She seemed to stumble over the words briefly, eyebrows furrowing together. “[say]I think I was in a place similar to this, with rivers and waterfalls of scarlet. But I was heavily pregnant with twins.[/say]” The words couldn’t stop as Rexanna continued to speak, as though the memories were forcing their way out.

“[say]I was attacked, had my twins. I named them Kiada and Kianzo, a beautiful boy and girl – my sun and my moon.[/say]” Her brows furrowed slightly further before she shook her head and looked back to Bastien almost exasperated. “[say]I’m sorry, it all feels so real.[/say]” She didn’t know how else to explain it, as if she tried to put words to it and it felt so odd. “[say]I remembered Deimos, and he remembered me. Is such a thing even possible?[/say]”

RE: Grim Omens - Bastien - 05-05-2019

It seemed he had not quite understood what Rexanna had meant. She described not a dream but truly another life, another her. The idea of Deimos being a king was somewhat comical to Bastien, who had never had a true discussion with the man and only knew he was large and short with words. Probably a perfect noble, then.

But any comments he had on the royal suitability of Deimos were ripped away by Rexanna talking of her pregnancy. Shock which quickly turned to concern took over his face, Bastien reaching to place a hand on Rexanna's arm. The way she spoke of the children made them sound wanted, yet she did not as far as he knew have any here; had something happened to them?

[say]"...I..I think many things are possible."[/say] He began, unsure of how to approach this topic. [say]"If you feel it, and you both remember it, it is real enough. Perhaps...you are a double-Outlander, something like that. Someone who has visited more than one world."[/say] This thought unnerved him. If Rexanna had jumped through so many universes, when would she leave this one?

[say]"Deimos..ah...I should probably not ask. But...is...was he the father? Of your twins? And...do you believe the children have come here as well?"[/say]

RE: Grim Omens - Rexanna - 06-10-2019

Her concern and racing heart were beaten out only by Bastien’s stumbling over the topic. Never having truly known something to shake him as much as what she described, yet her sapphire gaze slipped up to him with a furrowed brow. She didn’t want to worry him, but the feeling was so strange – the idea of having living breathing children was such a wonderful thing that she didn’t know where to begin when she was here and childless. Sucking in a breath, she listened to him and nodded – her dark hair draping over her shoulders despite the braids they were tied back into.

“[say]Or maybe there’s another version of me out there somewhere, yet to collide.[/say]” She theorized before trying to give both him and herself a reassuring smile, but when she stood to stand closer to him, he began to stumble again over Deimos. At first, she wanted to laugh at the idea – but she realized he was serious with the question and the smile that briefly adorned her face fell as she rapidly shook her head no. “[say]Oh gods no. He was my King, I served him as a Thief for some time.[/say]” She explained. “[say]No, the father of the children I had was a King from a neighboring land.[/say]” She explained further, reaching out to grab onto his arm and squeeze reassuringly. “[say]Things… Didn’t end up very well between him and I after everything – I’m not sure what happened to him nor the children. I hope they didn’t come here.[/say]” She paused, chewing on her lower lip.

After a moment, she inhaled deeply before offering a quiet laugh and looked back at the red water. “[say]That would be the most awkward thing. I’m not that person, but I have memories of them – a different version that lived a different and full life. If they were here, that would be such an odd thing to try and explain.[/say]” Even Rexanna stumbled over the thought and how to articulate it. She turned back to Bastien then and stood up on her tiptoes to try and press a kiss to his cheek with a small smile. “[say]I’m sorry for making the conversation so heavy.[/say]”

RE: Grim Omens - Bastien - 06-11-2019

[say]"Maybe so."[/say] Bastien agreed, feeling for once rather out of his depth in a discussion of hypotheticals. He returned the smile, the expression growing stronger on his face as she came closer.

He didn't know if he was relieved to learn the father wasn't Deimos. On one hand it meant he didn't have to feel awkward around him (not that he really had a reason to if he had been the father, but emotions were messy and irrational), but on the other it meant he had no idea who the man had been, or what he had been like. If he would come back, and what to look for if he did. [say]"I am sure if they did, they would have seen you by now. So you are likely safe."[/say] He reassured her, stroking the hand on his arm.

When she apologised he shook his head and turned to pull her into a hug, kissed the top of her head. [say]"No, do not apologise. There is not heavy conversation, just conversation that we need to have, hm? I am...honoured you told me this, Rexanna."[/say] Clearly, it was something she struggled with; hopefully something he could help comfort her over.

[say]"If...if they do return, or you have any...worries, know you can come to me."[/say]

RE: Grim Omens - Rexanna - 06-15-2019

She knew just the reason why she fell in love with Bastien, and it was partially due to the way he could calm her and quell her when her emotions began to flit into a tsunami-like wave. His hand stroked the hand of hers that rested on his arm and he tried to reassure her, but she offered him a small half smile at the gesture. “[say]I doubt they’d recognize me. I don’t think I would even recognize them.[/say]” She admitted, perhaps a bit sheepishly and ashamed. But in this world she wasn’t their mother – could there be mothers guilt about it if she didn’t know it was them?

But before she had much chance to dwell and apologize some more, Bastien hugged her tight and kissed the top of her head. Rexanna wrapped her arms around him tight and rest her head on his chest comfortably and breathed him in deeply as he spoke. “[say]I’m glad you didn’t run away from it the minute it left my mouth.[/say]” She replied, a small snort of a laugh escaping before he offered the ability for her to come to him should she stress about it any further. And she pulled back from him with a small charming smile as her sapphire gaze lingered on his face.

“[say]If that offer extends to any other worries perhaps I should relocate to the Guild for the amount of time I’ll be there.[/say]” She joked, but part of it was completely honest and truthful; yet deep down the woman knew that Bastien wouldn’t mind in the slightest. And she, too, wouldn’t mind spending more time with him either.

RE: Grim Omens - Bastien - 06-16-2019

Bastien chuckled and shook his head, stroked a hand down Rexanna's spine. [say]"Cara, if that were enough to send me running, I would have been a terrible artist. Believe me I have heard all sorts, and after changing worlds myself...well. I will understand most things, I think."[/say] He nodded. Nowadays he often wondered if there were multiple versions of himself across different worlds or if his own world had existed at all; questions he would not have even considered before his arrival in Caido.

[say]"By all means. If you were to spend the next three years simply sitting and telling me your woes so that I may turn them into something more beautiful for you, it would be an honour, Rexanna."[/say] Romantic words easily flowing from his mouth he stroked her hair then stood back, looked across the red water once more.

[say]"I did not think it possible I would find anything approaching a relationship in this place. And yet, here you are."[/say] Bastien was almost speaking to himself, far off eyes and a soft smile on his lips. He knew what he was trying to do - he was trying to gather his courage, make himself say the three words that would either seal this or ruin it; but he decided he could not.

Turning back to her, he looked back the way they had come. [say]"Perhaps this is enough exploration for the day. This forest is winding and difficult and I have a mind to make you very comfortable in my bed."[/say]

RE: Grim Omens - Rexanna - 06-22-2019

There was something comforting in the way Bastien’s hand soothed her nervousness as he stroked her spine, and she leaned into him a bit more before a small laugh slipped from her. Nodding her head in agreement, she pulled away to look upon him with a roguish gleam in her eye and an accusatory grin. “[say]I have yet to hear some of those stories, you know.[/say]” She teased him with a small curt nod before breaking down into another small laugh. But when he began to speak of letting her tell him of her woes for however long it took, her laughter resulted in a gentle, heartwarming smile.

“[say]You’re too kind to me.[/say]” Her voice was soft, but she meant it and was thoroughly charmed by it, pulling away from him as he turned to look back over the water before he spoke again, and her sapphire gaze dipped from the crimson water back to him. Her cheeks flushed a bit, and she tried to brush it off as she ran a hand along her head and shrugged slightly toward him. “[say]I didn’t think I’d find anything like it either.[/say]” She paused briefly, eyeing him with that same pleased smile despite the weirdness of the day.

Yet even though Bastien couldn’t say the words, Rexanna couldn’t either; it was too… Attached, too much, and yet she could feel it in her bones. The thought of it frightened her, and still did despite the amount of time that she had spent with him and learned about his previous life in Venice and the adventure he’d had here. Eventually, she didn’t have to dwell on it long as he turned back toward her and the way they had come when he spoke once more. She snorted, but nodded, stepping up beside him with a tilt to her head and a gleam in her eye. “[say]Who am I to say no to such an offer?[/say]” She hummed.

RE: Grim Omens - Bastien - 06-22-2019

[say]"Some of them are not mine to tell, but I'm sure I can find some for you if you wish."[/say] He promised with an easy smile. Bastien loved to tell stories, especially of his life back in Venice, which now seemed so surreal and idyllic it might had well as been fiction.

Bastien shook his head when she suggested the absolutely bizarre idea that he was too kind to her. [say]"My dear, there is no such thing. You deserve more kindness than I have in my body. It is a great tragedy I have no more to give."[/say] While pretty turns of phrase were his speciality, this one really was genuine. More than anyone else, ever before, he wanted to make Rexanna smile. Not for his advantage, not to get ahead or to use her for anything. Just for the simple joy of knowing she was happy.

Once Rexanna agreed he took her hand and began to lead her back through the trees, looking back just once to the red water behind them. It was an odd place, this Greatwood, and he had an uncomfortable feeling about it. He had promised her adventure, but...maybe it could wait. Maybe he was finally learning the good things about settling down, the safety of four walls.

Feeling as if things may close in soon, he squeezed her hand tighter.

RE: Grim Omens - Rexanna - 06-26-2019

A crooked smile was sent his way at his initial response, and she nodded. Even if they were exaggerated, she didn’t mind hearing them. Their truthfulness wasn’t what she was interested in – if she were being honest, she just loved to hear him talk about things he was passionate about. He was dramatic and charming, and his storytelling abilities were nothing short of any of those things. But then the conversation began to shift, and he simply told her he didn’t have enough kindness to give her – and for a moment she wanted to argue the point.

But she didn’t, instead she let him admit it with that same crooked smile crossing her face as she leaned into him briefly. He knew exactly what to say to her, and for her whole life she had spent it telling herself she didn’t deserve the kindness. That she was a monster, a creature born from circumstances out of her control, but a monster all the same. He helped her realize that was wrong – that perhaps she had atoned for her sins in a previous life, a previous world. And there wasn’t any way she could try to argue that.

He offered his hand to her and she took it gladly, squeezing it back in return as they began the trek back home. The knot that had formed in her stomach upon seeing the crimson river loosening with every step further from it. And she realized she truly missed the comfort of her bed, of Bastien there with her; of making dinner (even if he couldn’t taste it very well) and spending the days with him while he painted and she sewed. She believed she was finally happy.