Court of the Fallen
[PQ] [HUNT] willow weep for me - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [PQ] [HUNT] willow weep for me (/showthread.php?tid=1085)

Pages: 1 2 3

[HUNT] willow weep for me - Ronin - 05-06-2019

The crying had been going on for near enough a week now.

Bitter weeping, doleful and heartbreaking, deep in the Woodlands at night. The foragers had reported it, at first, their faces pale as they approached the Monster Hunters Guild. They had tried to find the source, they said, only to lose it like a phantom in the dark. Until one day they saw her, wrapped in rags and crying by the stream.

Banshee.

This one, they said, was particularly active. Whether wandering and singing, or shedding her tears by the water, she was a growing danger to all those who walked the woodlands.

Ronin had heard them out, his face grave, and promised he would take care of it. He'd dealt with a banshee once before - it had almost killed him, and Remi too. So this time he would go prepared.

The notice had only been placed in the guildhall, Ronin not wishing to advertise it openly, lest the unskilled decide to join. But he'd also whispered in certain ears, too; in the Rathskeller, through the Settlement.

So he was confident, as he waited in the balmy heat of the Longheat night on the outskirts of the woods, that a talented group would come to join him.

Welcome to the first monster hunting PQ <3 This will involve die rolls and your character might get hurt! No lasting damage or death though (unless you want to, in which case hit me up).

All are welcome to participate, but especially members of the Monster Hunters Guild or those hoping to join it!

If you aren't a member of the guild, feel free to assume that Ronin has spoken to you and invited you. :3

1. Emmett
2. Arthur
3. Remi
4. Melita
5. Roana

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Emmett - 05-06-2019

With the new chapter of his short-lived child ripped away from him, Emmett was once again feeling like a ship adrift from the dock. Sure, he had the kids to look after and the farm to work on, odd edits and finicky bits to do on the barn, but....his heart yearned for something more than that. Something to impress Phoebe with, show her why she'd chosen him, something to feel proud about, excited about, rather than dreary and responsible.

So when he saw the note on his wander about town advertising a monster hunt, it almost felt like fate. The guildmaster himself had spoken to him, seemed open to him coming...so Emmett decided he would.

He didn't tell Phoebe, though. He knew she would likely be concerned for his safety (which was totally unnecessary) and he wanted to surprise her with the story later. The kids were left with a neighbour for the night and Emmett grabbed his woodcutting axe, the tool feeling oddly heavy in his hands now that it was to be a weapon.

Coming to the edge of the woods at the right time, he carried the axe over his shoulder and wore his thick boots and pants, hoping they may work as a kind of armour. Truthfully, he had little idea of what he was doing, but he found himself excited. Coming to Ronin, he smiled and nodded. [say]"Hey. I'm here to help out with the hunt. Emmett, we spoke the other day?"[/say]

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Arthur - 05-06-2019

A quest to rid the land of some kind of evil? The former king had no cause more exciting, nor worthwhile to fight for than that. When he knew Ronin was leading the charge, well, how could he do anything but agree?

Arthur wasn’t particularly accustomed to the temperatures of Caido’s longheat, but he had dealt with worse things than discomfort before. He joined the guild leader on the outskirts, thankful that the task was not in the middle of the day. He wore chainmail under his tunic and leather armguards, his sword resting at his hip.

The tall man approached with a bearded grin and extended his hand to the leader to shake, then clapping him on the shoulder. “Welcome back, my friend,” he said with a low chuckle, giving Emmett a good-natured nod of acknowledgement.
Arthur
“Do not unsheath me without reason.
“Do not wield me without valor.”

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Remi - 05-06-2019

Remi, the most unlikely member of the guild, had been there the first time Ronin had encountered a banshee. It only made sense he'd be there the second time. Assuming they found one anyways. Though given Remi's terrible luck when it came to supernatural encounters, having him along would almost assuredly guarantee that something would go wrong.

Which was the point of the guild, wasn't it?

Approaching in his lion form, Remi nodded gently to Emmett and Arthur, recognizing both of them though they wouldn't know him. Flashing Ronin a fanged grin, Remi merely sat sentinel at his friend's side and waited for further instructions.

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Melita - 05-06-2019

Monster hunting was a torment from the past, one she allowed to haunt her, to sculpt her, to mold her, bestial and barbaric, intertwining with the rush of her ichor, her veins, her ferocity. Ronin’s invitation had all but sealed the deal – she’d be roaming just as she had been before, straight into the heart of demons and massacres, but stronger, faster, better. Why she’d want to return to those thwarting bastions and zealous, manipulative, aggressive ramparts was something else entirely (familiar in its stead, a way for her training to be implemented and wielded, a test, a torment, because she’d been touched by savagery and sinister ministrations and couldn’t give it up). She wasn’t without arms or munitions, her handcrafted bow clinging to her back, her favored staff pulsing in her hands. Fangorn bounded along her side, and whether or not he was impressed by her next set of notions was something altogether: his signature, fanged frown molded along his face.

Melita and the gourd chose to announce their presence through diligence and quietness rather than their usual, loud, abrupt entrance – sliding across woodland thickets and besotted moss, ducking beneath branches, breathing in the hushed platitudes, difficult, but capable. Her gilded eyes first roamed to Ronin, her smile widening, appreciative and acknowledging his invitation by coming to the beckons, by arriving there, eager for destruction and mayhem. Then there was Emmett, who received a wave, and Remi, in lion form, a bold pat along the top of his mane proffered and a sneaky smirk tucked along her lips. There was only one she didn’t recognize at all, but he received a cheeky endeavor too, before her gaze focused back on their leader, staff remaining upright and firm in her grasp. I’m ready her stance said, no words necessary. The excitement pervading from her essence was likely enough to convey anything she wished to say.

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Roana - 05-06-2019

As the guild's newest recruit, Roana felt like she needed to show up and make a good showing. So she dropped off her horde of boys with Phoebe, donned her leather armor and claymore Krosis, and headed for the meeting spot that had been listed in the notice. A banshee of all things? That certainly seemed incredibly fairytale-esque. But at this point, she was beyond judging. Caido was filled to the brim with weird shit.

Though one might think with all the criticism she had received lately she would be sheepish, Roana entered with her shoulders square and head held high; a commanding presence clear in her posture and eyes as she looked over the gathered group.  She smiled and nodded to Remi in greeting. [say]"Good to see you as always, Remi."[/say] she said, then looked to Melita with a smile. [say]"You as well, Melita, how's the ankle been treating you?"[/say] she said cordially, hoping she was back in fit fighting shape.

Then there was Emmett. Sigh. Phoebe had told her things were good so she would be nice. She supposed. [say]"Hello again, Emmett."[/say] she greeted in a friendly manner, as if she hadn't threatened to kick him into another century once upon a time. Then there was a fellow she didn't know, but he looked the standard knightly type...which meant he would probably underestimate her ability. Groan. Whatever. [say]"Pleasure to meet you. Roana Steadman."[/say] she greeted with a strong handshake if Arthur took it.

Then she grinned at Ronin. [say]"So a Banshee is it?"[/say] she said, bouncing on her heels, ready to go!

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Ronin - 05-07-2019

They arrived, one by one, each and every individual bringing their strengths and skills - and weaknesses, too, but Ronin was hoping they might cancel each other out. He greeted each of them in turn, smiling warmly to Emmett and shaking Arthur's hand, evidently pleased to see them both. [say]"I remember. And it is very good to be back, I promise you that."[/say] He chuckled, only to arch an eyebrow at the sudden appearance of a lion in their midst.

[say]"Not planning to be caught out a second time, eh Remi?"[/say] Ronin winked, scritching the ear hidden beneath the impossibly fluffy mane as the lion came to sit. Melita and Roana received a friendly nod, too, before Ronin turned to regard the darkened forest before them. [say]"I've brought torches, but keep them low and close, in case it knows to follow them."[/say]

Turning back to address the group, the guildmaster let out a deep breath. [say]"The creature we seek is called a banshee, as you all well know. Before we go, I'd like to ask where you feel most comfortable. On the attack, defence, or scouting? I used to be more of a defender, but in recent times I've found my skills lean more towards a scout."[/say] He grinned.

No posting order! Please respond advising what role your character is most comfortable taking.

This PQ will move on in 48 hours.

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Remi - 05-07-2019

The lion nodded a greeting to Roana as she addressed him, leonine tail curling around his haunches.

With a look towards Ronin, Remi just yawned extravagantly bearing long white canine incisors as if that was answer enough. He wasn't much of a fighter that was true, but while in this body it was easiest for him to be on the offensive. That and since he knew what they were fighting and how it had turned out last time, he thought perhaps he'd serve the group well with claws and teeth.

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Melita - 05-07-2019

The fight was in her – glorious and triumphant – and she gave no thought to the material of monsters, the hows and whys, only the destruction and mayhem, clustered together in the mercurial sprigs and dastardly temptations of her heart. Roana’s appearance briefly muffled the notions, sending her head twisting in the direction of her trainer, a small smile lighting the corners of her mouth. “It’s fine!” She promised and assured, and it was, she hadn’t felt any particular aching sensations for some time now; though it might’ve been by sheer, damned luck, because the girl hadn’t done anything different, dancing, leaping, launching as she’d always committed, even more ridiculous amidst the latest festival.

But then her attention slid back to Ronin and the apparent mission: she was rapt and reverent, listening closely, a banshee sliding along the tips of her thoughts and diving into her mind. They were the stuff of legends, as most demons and fiends were, a wailing fixture often heralding some impending doom and damnation, sometimes nestled amidst fairies and fey, screeching, crying, foretelling. If there was one out and about now – was it a warning? Or something they were going to turn a blind eye too? She pondered, wrinkling her nose at the connotations, at the eerie slide of what could be presumed, of what could be afforded, of what could be nothing at all.

As for positions, she wasn’t going to be the one loudly proclaiming to be an attacker; because while bold and audacious, Melita knew very well that she wasn’t the top fighter here. She’d train, grow stronger, more efficient, precise and calculated, but she wasn’t near the caliber in these fine moments. “I can be on defense,” she uttered, a quieter proclamation, but grin still there, readily apparent for the world, for danger to stoke and for fire to burn in her soul.

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Roana - 05-08-2019

Roana smiled at Melita, pleased to hear that her ankle was all healed up. She could at least count on the girl to be in top form, scrappy and ready to go. Emmett and the other fellow…well, they remained wild cards. The former captain crossed her arms, listening quietly to Ronin as he described the situation at hand. Since he didn’t know all of their skills it made sense to her to parse them out by their own perception of their abilities.

She could only hope people didn’t get over confident with what they could do.

[say]”Offense, preferably, but I can fill in wherever you need.”[/say] Roana said with a light shrug. Clearly with the claymore as her main weapon, she felt confident in her ability to strike. But if they needed more defense or scouting, she could make it happen too. No soldier was worth their lick of salt if they weren’t well-rounded enough to handle whatever spot they got on a team.

Roana for offense…or wherever Ronin needs her to be to fill in

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Emmett - 05-08-2019

Emmett was glad to see Ronin recognised him and smiled at each person that showed up after, though his expression faltered just a little as Roana appeared. After the words exchanged during his barn renovations, he felt anxious around the woman, as if she were judging his every move to see how good he would be for Phoebe.

At least there were other things to consider to take his mind off the matter. Ronin asked what role everyone would like to take and the boyish confidence in him immediately wanted to yell attack, but he managed to hold back the insistence inside him. [say]"Well...I could prolly do best at attackin' or at scoutin'. But really, I'll go wherever y'need me."[/say]

Smiling, trying to appear amenable and friendly, he shifted his weight a little with his axe and waited to see how he would be assigned.

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Arthur - 05-09-2019

Arthur met Roana at her handshake, giving her a cordial nod and a kind smile. He looked over her armor and weapon and knew very quickly that she meant business and likely had experience wielding the blade. Good.

When Ronin called the lion that approached Remi, the former king raised his brows. The same Remi who had the wonderful magic tricks? He quite enjoyed what the man had up his sleeves, seeming to constantly be revealing new abilities.

He listened to the others before speaking, as he was quite comfortable serving as any of the three positions Ronin had offered. While general experience had him as more of an offensive man, he was just fine taking on whatever roll seemed to be needed. “I can also defend,” he mentioned, giving a flickered smile to the red-haired woman who had spoken first.
Arthur
“Do not unsheath me without reason.
“Do not wield me without valor.”

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Ronin - 05-10-2019

Ronin heard them all out, focusing on each individual as they spoke of their skills and preferences; in the meantime, he also began lighting a couple of torches. [say]"We seem to have a pretty even distribution of skills, which is good. Emmett and I will scout, then - Remi and Roana can go on the offence, and Melita and Arthur can defend the group."[/say] So saying, he handed one of the torches to Emmett and kept the other for himself. [say]"Let's not waste time, then."[/say]

Keeping his torch held low, Ronin led the group into the black thicket of trees, organising them in such a way that they would be able to react to a threat from whichever direction. Ronin walked with Remi and Melita, scouting from the front, and arranged for Roana, Emmett and Arthur to bring up the rear.

It didn't take long for the silence of the forest to be disruped, ethereal, heartbreaking sobs echoing through the trees. Ronin raised a hand for them to halt. [say]"Get yourselves ready,"[/say] he said. [say]"I'm going to try and bait her out - trust me."[/say]

No post order! You have 48 hours to respond.

Emmett will spot a lucky arrangement of saplings nearby; his axe would make short work of them, and they could be useful in the fight.

Melita and Arthur will notice that the ground they are on is quite muddy and boggy - this wouldn't be the best place to set up a defence.

Roana and Remi would be wise to use this time readying their weapons (or claws, etc.)

RE: [HUNT] willow weep for me - Emmett - 05-11-2019

Emmett was happy to be chosen to work alongside Ronin, feeling like being along with the leader was important. He nodded and took the torch, copying Ronin by keeping it low and creeping along. As he walked, he felt a mounting sense of something that wasn't quite dread, not excitement either; just a tension, a knowledge this was the calm before the storm.

He did trust Ronin, saw something of a role model in the brave and charismatic captain. Eager to prove himself, he looked about for ways to be useful as Ronin set off ahead to bait the Banshee.

Spotting the saplings he quickly hefted his axe off his shoulder and swung to fell them, able with years of practice to aim well and strike true, cutting off the wood at the best point for it to fall swiftly and still in a good piece. Gathering the wood in his arms, he set to several jobs: building up some barricades around them, leaving some in a pile for general use, turning a few into standing torches to better light up the area.

When he was done he stood back and tried to ready himself, looking about the woods.

--

Emmett makes things with sticks: a series of barricades, torches and some all purpose sticks for anyone to use :-)