Court of the Fallen
[SE] Capturing a Likeness - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [SE] Capturing a Likeness (/showthread.php?tid=1088)

Pages: 1 2

[SE] Capturing a Likeness - Bastien - 05-07-2019

The tradition he had heard of, this 'capturing the sun', introduced by Ianto's expertly told story...Bastien thought it quite quaint. A superstition and nothing more, clearly, but sweet. Reminded him of the odd traditions of his home. Not to trust a black cat or walk under a ladder, to always knock the statues bases as you walked past to avoid bad luck. To put out a meal for Saints on their holidays.

While he liked these kind of things, found them interesting, he had never really participated before. But he had told himself he was going to become more involved in the culture, so he tried to put his own spin on the idea of catching the sun.

He was going to paint it.

When you painted someone right, you said you 'captured' them, so he thought it close enough. Although this particular sitter he could no longer sit before and observe, now that his Ascended skin would burn, so he sat underneath the shade of a tree in the late evening, painting the last remnants of a slow sunset. Humming softly to himself he put paint to canvas and did not look elsewhere, completely relaxed.

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Ronin - 05-13-2019

[say]"Hey, Bastien!"[/say] The greeting was bright and cheerful, and its owner waved in an arc as he meandered through the fields towards where the Ascended sat in the shade with his canvas. Ronin had decided to catch the sun in his own way, too - he'd been basking in its warmth all afternoon, in fact, and had succeeded in catching the sun in his very skin. It was a pleasantly tanned guildmaster who approached the shade of the tree, his shirt tucked into the back of his trousers so he could enjoy the lingering rays of light on his bare skin.

[say]"What are you up to?"[/say] He smiled to his friend, arching an eyebrow as he caught sight of the sunset, seeming impressed. [say]"Aaaah,"[/say] he said, starting to understand. [say]"I'll admit, I didn't think you the type to grab a basket and try to chase sunbeams. This is much more you."[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Bastien - 05-14-2019

[say]"Ronin!"[/say] Bastien exclaimed happily as his friend approached, lifting his eyes from his work to take in the sight of the hunter coming towards him, bathed in sunlight and magnificently tanned. [say]"My. Here you approach like the character of an erotic novel. I do wonder sometimes if you are trying to seduce me."[/say] He realised belatedly that this had likely been Ronin's version of capturing the sun - in his skin, and smiled all over again with that thought.

[say]"Yes. I thought I'd find a...more dignified way to catch the sun. I see you have worked something out too."[/say] He cast a blatant glance down Ronin's torso, then cleared his throat as he raised his eyes. [say]"Would you like to join me? I have a spare canvas and some more paints...you may have to manage without an easel, but some of the best pieces of art in the world were done without."[/say]

Reaching for his extra canvas, he held it out to Ronin with a friendly smile. [say]"I would be honoured."[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Ronin - 05-14-2019

[say]"Oh no, no, Bastien. I don't think I am nearly wet nor smouldering enough for an erotic novel,"[/say] Ronin disagreed with mischief in his eyes, hooking his thumb into the waistband of his pants as he admired the sunset that his friend had captured so wonderfully. He lifted his gaze just in time to catch the Ascended blatantly eyeing him up, Ronin casually striking a pose as though that might help matters.

[say]"That I have,"[/say] he said. [say]"And I would be honoured, as well, to join you in catching this particular sunset before it disappears for good."[/say] Nodding enthusiastically, he accepted the canvas with a murmur of thanks and proceeded to plop down on the grass and observe the scene before them.

[say]"I would offer to let you join me tomorrow, in my method of catching the sun, but... ah, in your condition... perhaps it is best not to risk it."[/say] He chuckled. [say]"How long have you been out here?"[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Bastien - 05-21-2019

[say]"I could go to fetch some water, just give the word. Smouldering you may have to discover yourself, though."[/say] Bastien grinned, turning back to his painting just as Ronin sat down, adding in some grass where he thought later he might add two figures to the piece. Something he had been doing lately, capturing his own memories within his scenes...something the critics of his time would likely call a travesty of an idea, but he liked it and they weren't here.

Ronin mentioned his own methods of sun catching and he nodded. [say]"Yes, it would be rather painful for me, I think. I have been here for...hm, half an hour perhaps? I try to leave the guild once I see the sun go behind the houses opposite."[/say]

He looked aside to glance at what Ronin was painting. From what he remembered the man had had talent far back when he had begun his church, and he was eager to see what he would make. Perhaps he would be able to convince Ronin to hang his work in the guild, or...even join? Bastien was not as devoted to recruiting for this as he had been for Safrin, but he knew the lifeblood of any organisation was members.

[say]"How has your hunters guild been doing? I heard you went on a terrifying hunt. With a true gaggle of people, farm boys and soldiers."[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Ronin - 05-21-2019

[say]"Oh no, no. I have to practice my smouldering, Bastien, and just wet wouldn't get the look I'm going for, I don't think."[/say] Getting comfortable, Ronin selected a few paints and a brush and, with only a cursory glance up and at their surroundings, set to work. His sunset was cold - the hunter was a fan of subverting expectations, and it would be under a light of blue and white and silver that his scene began to come to life.

[say]"Half an hour and you were able to enjoy the setting sun? Poetic, aren't you?"[/say] He chuckled, grinning up at his friend as he worked. [say]"Mm...? Oh, the monster hunters? They are doing well, actually. That farm boy you mentioned stuck his axe through the head of a banshee. Unfortunately, it didn't have a pelt. And I didn't think you'd appreciate me presenting its severed head to your guild."[/say] He smirked. It would have been a laugh though, probably.

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Bastien - 05-21-2019

Bastien watched with interest as Ronin selected not the expected reds and yellows for his picture, but blues and darker hues, colours one might choose for a lake scene at night. He smiled, liking the creativity on show already. He had always liked those who wished to subvert expectations, and almost wished he had come up with the idea himself, but his own painting had charm, of course.

[say]"Always, caro. I may be Ascended but I see no reason to deny myself pleasures. The sun maybe is too much for me when she is fully in the sky, but hidden I find I can make do."[/say] He began to paint soft, purple clouds around his sun, partially taking inspiration from the sky before him and partially inventing.

He laughed at the idea of being presented a head - if he had been, he would have tried to make something from it, as grisly as the idea was. [say]"So you are now taking innocent farm boys and making them murder, hm? What kind of operation is it you're running in that deceptively warm hall? Do you think your daughter shall be firing arrows before she is walking?"[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Ronin - 05-25-2019

[say]"Personally I find sunrise and sunset to be the most beautiful,"[/say] Ronin remarked, absently adding a smattering of stars to the darkest parts of his painting. (Obviously he couldn't leave stars out, not when there was an excuse). [say]"So even if you can't bask in it all day, be content in knowing that the best parts are still yours to enjoy."[/say] Sitting back for a moment to take in the real sunset before them, Ronin took a deep breath and let it out again.

He chuckled at Bastien's remark. [say]"Not murder, my friend. He took down a very dangerous creature that was plaguing the Woodlands. As for my daughter... I'm content for her to do whatever it is that makes her happy. I'm only sad we don't live nearer to the ocean. Her mother was a sailor."[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Bastien - 05-27-2019

[say]"How beautiful. You should join my Artist's Sanctuary as a poet. I remember your song, from the Safrin days. You are truly gifted with words, Ronin."[/say] It would be nice to have someone to write songs for the guild...perhaps he could ask that strange elf-looking fellow at the bar, too, stuck up as he was. Maybe getting a chance to drink and be merry with other creatives would help him to be less uptight.

Ronin insisted it wasn't murder and Bastien had to bite his tongue to stop himself getting into philosophical wonderings on just what counted as a good killing and what didn't - if you went too far down that path it could lead to arguments, especially when you were speaking to the man wielding the murder weapon.

[say]"Ah, well...you never know. We have uncovered a forest. Perhaps we will discover a closer ocean, or a way through the forest to the other side. You can teach her to swim in the Oasis, at least."[/say] Bastien switched brushes to one with harder bristles to add texture, hummed to himself as he tilted his head to look at it and decide if he liked it. [say]"What if she decides to make a nursery for baby monsters?"[/say] He laughed. [say]"But..I do quite admire your stance. My parents were mortified I did not want to tend to gardens for the rest of my life."[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Ronin - 05-27-2019

Ronin tsked his friend and shook his head, a self-deprecating grin on his face. [say]"Come, now. There are likely those better with words within the Loreseeker's Guild. What about Jigano, or Samuel? Sam is a bookmaker - I bet he puts my clumsy lyrics to shame."[/say] Laughing softly, Ronin turned his attention back to his painting, though he'd had to work quickly given that it was nearly dark now.

His smile grew soft, wistful almost, as he thought of the Oasis and what it would be like to teach Aoife to swim there. (And how much better at it Vanya would have been). Even so, he nodded. Bastien was right, of course. [say]"There's always a way, huh? And that river that runs through the forest is a good indication that there might be an ocean to get to."[/say] That definitely cheered him further, Ronin sitting back to admire his hasty sunset in its blues and whites.

[say]"Well, as long as she doesn't try to keep all of the monsters once they are grown, I suppose I shall have to deal with what when the time comes!"[/say] He chuckled, before shooting Bastien a wry smile. [say]"I didn't have a choice. My parents - my mother, to be precise - decided I was born for the army from the second I drew breath. The same with my older brother."[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Bastien - 05-31-2019

[say]"I could not ask that red-headed boy to join my guild. He is...so awkward. I think he needs quite a few more good fucks and drinks before he's ready to spend any time with my kind of people."[/say] Bastien said easily, clearly having quite a formed opinion on Sam already. Even though he had helped him to Ascend, Bastien found him horrendously dull as a person. Sure, he was good at making books, but he had no flair.

Bastien hoped there was an ocean to get to. That promised further adventure, possible other lands far away to take Rexanna to, escape their first start and make a new, proper life. He smiled and nodded, focused on his painting as he wondered what kind of home she would like. Something grand, like in her past? Or...no, he suspected she would prefer something a little more humble, but filled with art and love. Something he could provide.

[say]"Ah, military. The cult of the masses."[/say] He mused, leaning up to get a better view of a specific bit of the scenary. [say]"Were you glad to be in the army, or did you terribly resent them?"[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Ronin - 06-01-2019

[say]"While I don't disagree with you, Bastien, I would have thought you'd jump at the chance to take an awkward soul under your wing,"[/say] Ronin said with a cheeky smile. [say]"Who better to teach him how to fuck and drink? He could be initiated into your kind of people with your guidance, eh?"[/say] All lighthearted teasing, of course, but it didn't make it any less true.

While his friend focused on perfecting the smaller details of his painting, Ronin had forced himself to put his canvas aside to let it dry. If he wanted to add anything, it could wait; he didn't want to ruin it by overdoing it.

Talk of the military, especially his old life, brought an amused laugh rippling up in Ronin's throat. [say]"Both, if you can believe it!"[/say] He grinned. [say]"I enjoyed it in the end, once I had gotten to Northaven and I realised I could do some good. To start with, though... gods, Bastien, I was a fucking awful soldier."[/say] Shaking his head, Ronin leant back on his hands. [say]"I spent most of my time gambling and fighting and disgracing myself. My brother was the golden boy, not I."[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Bastien - 06-02-2019

Bastien tilted his head with a shrug and a smile, conceding that perhaps normally he would like to take on such a hopeless case as Samuel, but.. [say]"I do not have the time for such a challenge. I'm sure it would take more drinks and dicks than I have to hand at the moment and I have a Sanctuary to build, a woman to make happy and a forest to explore. He shall have to learn how himself. It's a shame, I thought he was going to be with Remi, which...well, would have been adorable. But that seems to have gone nowhere."[/say]

He was truly wrapped up in his image, adding little flecks and barely noticable dots of paint where he felt them needed, using small motions of his hand as if sculpting the miniscule details of a dolls face.

[say]"Somehow, I am not surprised by that. To be a good soldier one usually has to have little personality, and you seem to have that in spades."[/say] Bastien smiled over at Ronin. [say]"What good was it you did? I do not believe I ever thought the armies in my world got up to much good, but perhaps it was different over where you hail from."[/say]

RE: [SE] Capturing a Likeness - Ronin - 06-03-2019

[say]"Mm. I confess I didn't know very much about their relationship, only that it grew more complex and topsy turvy by the day."[/say] Ronin wrinkled his nose; he was a man that relished the simple when it came to love - and in that second he missed Vanya fiercely, swallowing it down so he could rise to his feet and admire Bastien's finishing touches. Though the sun was almost down now, so he didn't know how much the other man would get out of his painting.

Letting out a laugh at the compliment, Ronin inclined his head respectfully to Bastien. [say]"What's life without a little personality, eh?"[/say] He shrugged his shoulders. [say]"Ah, well... in Northaven we were more a guard than an army. I spent my days patrolling, training other soldiers, and helping in times of crisis. It got me most of my scars, before I was brought back from the dead and they disappeared..."[/say]