Court of the Fallen
Hatchling - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Hatchling (/showthread.php?tid=1174)

Pages: 1 2

Hatchling - Phoebe - 06-03-2019

It had been about three days since Phoebe received the dragon egg from Frey. True to her word, she had kept it warm, wrapped up in soft blankets in a little basket by the fireplace. Frey probably would have reminded her that this was a dragon she was hatching and not a baby chick so the mother hen routine was overkill - but she didn't want to take any chances! She also spent every second of her free time speaking softly to it. She told it about the Hallowed Grounds where it was now, about how Frey had given her its egg to help protect her sometimes, about all that was going on and all that had happened.

She did feel a little crazy speaking to an egg but Frey's word was doctrine to her.

This evening was no different. She was sat up by the little egg by the fire, writing in her notebook - prepping some plans to present to those in her college. But she grew distracted upon hearing a noise. It was a little clattery noise from the egg, her eyes just catching a little wiggle upon looking up. She gasped and quickly set the book aside, sitting up onto her hands and knees to look at the pink gemstone like egg. [say]"Well now, is it time for you to come out, little one?"[/say] she said to it excitedly, grinning widely.

RE: Hatchling - Emmett - 06-03-2019

The kids were over at their weekly sleepover at the neighbouring farm (a kindness gifted to him by a mother who had recognised the dark circles under his eyes and offered some mercy) and Emmett found himself with a free evening, all the farm chores done before the sun had come down from the sky. Originally he planned to just sit inside and whittle, have a quiet time to himself, but as he settled down he found his eyes trailing to the doors over and over.

Eventually, after he'd made 3 cuts in fifteen minutes, he sighed and got up, headed out. It was no good; he had to wander. And his feet took him automatically to Phoebe's, as they often did.

Stretching as he approached her door, he wished he had some kind of present to bring. Hopefully just his company would be enough. Without knowing of the excitement happening within, he knocked on the door. [say]"Bee! S'me!"[/say]

RE: Hatchling - Phoebe - 06-03-2019

Phoebe nearly jumped at the sound of the knock on the door. She glanced over her shoulder at it, grinning when she heard the voice. [say]”Emmett! Come in and hurry! Come see, come see!”[/say] she called towards the door, excitement clear in her voice. How perfect was this? Emmett got to be here to see her little dragon friend hatched into the world! If she didn’t know better, she might have thought Frey had sent him to be with her during this momentous occasion.

Again the scratching noises were heard, and she quickly unwrapped the egg from its blankets. The tiniest of cracks was beginning to form near the top, from whence the scratching could be heard. [say]”Come on now, little one, you can do it! You’ve almost got yourself a little hole poked through!”[/say] she encouraged the baby dragon within. Suddenly, she felt an odd sensation. Impatience. Frustration. Almost at once more scratching and rocking of the egg occurred. Was…was she feeling what the little dragon was feeling?

Emmett pulled the door open quickly, surprised at Phoebe's urgent tone from inside. He really had no idea what to expect as he entered, shutting the door behind him and walking forward to stand behind her. His eyes fell onto the egg before the both of them, shaking and scratching on the ground. It definitely wasn't going to hatch a chicken, he could tell that much.

[say]"Uh...Bee, what is that..?"[/say] He asked, pointing to the egg as if it wasn't obvious what he was asking about.

Phoebe was carefully keeping the egg from fully rolling about the floor, using her hands to keep it contained. [say]"It's a dragon egg."[/say] Phoebe said with a grin, looking up at Emmett. [say]"Frey gave it to me."[/say] Her excitement was clear as day as she looked back down at the squirming pink egg. [say]"Its been three days and its finally hatching!"[/say]

Even as she spoke a small piece of the sheel broke off and clattered on the ground. From inside a wide pink eye stared out at them. For a moment the egg stilled. [say]"Well hello there, little one. You've still a ways to go."[/say] Phoebe said gently. The eye blinked at her, then squeezed closed as the scratching began anew as the dragon tried to escape its egg.

[say]"A...dragon egg? Well..tha's..."[/say] He really didn't have a good word for it. Emmett flopped down next to Phoebe, leaning in to kiss her cheek just once before watching the egg with her, smiling at her clear excitement. He had heard a couple of people around town had pet dragons, been assured they didn't grow too big, so tried to swallow any cautionary words he had so he wouldn't dampen her mood.

The sight of the sudden eye made him move back a little, raising his eyebrows. [say]"Wow, there really is a dragon in there, huh? How come Frey gave it t'ya?"[/say] Not that he doubted Phoebe's ability to be a new dragon-mother, but as far as he knew the Gods were not in the habit of giving out Dragon Eggs. [say]"Are y'gonna keep it..?"[/say]

[say]”Of course there is a dragon in there, what did you think it would be? A giant pink duck?”[/say] she teased Emmett lightly, kissing his cheek. The scratching from inside was now accompanied by frustrated growling – but given the size of the beast inside it was far from intimidating. One instead might imagine the growling was a string of very naughty swear words directed at the difficult task of hatching. The image made her giggle.

[say]”I asked them for it.”[/say] she said, which would also answer his second question. [say]”With everything changing I just…well I can’t fight like you can. And you or someone else capable won’t always be around so I just…wanted to not be so helpless.”[/say] Hence, the dragon companion. A few more crunching noises were followed by two clawed feet shoving their way out of the egg. [say]”There you go! Look how close you are!”[/say] she said encouragingly to the little dragon.

[say]"Look, hearin' about a dragon and actually seein' one are quite different things."[/say] He defended himself, but there was a smile on his face at her joke, Emmett easily letting himself be kissed and rocking for a moment after.

To hear the dragon was going to be a bodyguard of sorts was something he hadn't expected (which was the theme of the evening, he supposed). While he was glad to hear she would be protected when no one else was there to help, he couldn't help but feel a small pang of betrayal and worry at the idea of being replaced. At least while the dragon was still a baby, it would likely not be strong enough for the task yet.

He was distracted from his thoughts as he saw the feet come from the egg and laughed along with Phoebe at the bizarre sight. [say]"Uh, yeah, come on, y'can do it!"[/say] He said towards the egg, trying to encourage it the same way Phoebe was.

[say]”So…you thought dragons looked like giant pink ducks?”[/say] she said cheekily in response, a smirk gracing her lips.

She wasn’t sure exactly what emotion briefly crossed his gaze, but she could tell it wasn’t a good one. Gently, she took one of his hands in hers and gave it a little squeeze. This wasn’t about replacing anything or anyone. This was an in addition too sort of thing. Phoebe’s heart was big enough to love many people and creatures for many reasons, and Emmett’s place in her life was very well carved out and could not be replaced with anything or anyone with such ease.

The little dragon that was partially protruding from the egg somehow managed to balance itself on its feet, teetering for a moment. Then it tried to take a step towards Emmett’s voice and tumbled, the compromised structure of the egg shattering against the floor as it landed. [say]”Oh!”[/say] Phoebe said in alarm, feeling a little dizzy all of a sudden. [say]”Are you okay little one?[/say] she said worriedly. The little pinked dragon popped its head up, covered in bits of shell and a clear slimy liquid. It shook its head and stretched its little wings out before ‘roaring’ squeaking that it was quite alright.

[say]"I also thought my girlfriend was a nice girl who didn' tease."[/say] He replied, sticking his tongue out. But there wasn't much time for silly banter when a dragon was literally hatching right before them, something that took his attention as the egg cracked and the little creature tipped out, Emmett's hands automatically reaching out to try and steady it like the calves he'd birthed before, but managed to keep himself back, letting it be Phoebe's moment.

He grinned at the dragon's little squeak. Emmett was not often one for cuteness, but he couldn't deny how sweet the sound was. [say]"Awww. You gonna give it a name?"[/say] He asked Phoebe.

A wide grin curved Phoebe’s lips. She was a younger sister you see, and she knew just how to find holes in arguments in a very irritating way when she wanted to. [say]”You also thought? So you did think dragons looked like giant pink ducks!”[/say] she said, snickering at his expense, her tone still light and playful. It was all in good fun and not intended meanly.

Phoebe grinned as the dragon squeaked, carefully pulling pieces of egg off of the baby beast. She grabbed a rag and set to cleaning it off too. [say]”Aren’t you just the cutest thing I ever saw.”[/say] Phoebe cooed at it, feeling love bloom in her heart for the pink little thing. The dragon opened its maw again to ‘roar’ at her. She got the distinct sense it did not appreciate being called cute and she laughed a bit. [say]”Also fearsome.”[/say] she said, which made the dragon’s tail twitch. But then…

Hunger.

Phoebe actually placed a hand on her stomach, for a moment thinking she was suddenly ravenous before realizing it was the dragon. This would take getting used to. [say]”Emmett, could you grab some of the smoked meat out of the cupboard for me?”[/say] she said, still getting the egg goo off of the dragon. Names…what would she name it? She stared at the dragon, and it stared back, squirming about in her hands. [say]”Pim. I think Pim fits really well.”[/say]

RE: Hatchling - Emmett - 06-04-2019

Emmett just rolled his eyes at her continued teasing, but there was a soft fond smile on his face. It stayed there as he looked over the tiny dragon, laughing a little at the roar. That this adorable lizard could ever be a threat was hard to believe, as it stumbled about on the ground, taking in the world for the first time with it's big eyes.

He watched Phoebe clutch her stomach and as he got up to do the favour for her he chuckled. [say]"D'ya just eat meat when I'm not here? I gotta bring you some more veggies."[/say] Still, he went to the cupboard and fetched the meat as asked, bringing it back in a little bowl to Phoebe and sitting back down next to her. [say]"Pim...? Huh. It's not bad, but how come tha's your first thought?"[/say]

RE: Hatchling - Phoebe - 06-04-2019

[say]”Huh? No, I eat more than meat.”[/say] Phoebe said with a light laugh. Pim was still on her lap, looking around wide eyed as she cleaned him off with the rag. [say]”But I don’t think Pim will eat them…he is really hungry. It’s…odd I can feel his hunger.”[/say] she explained, staring down at the little dragon lovingly. When Emmett brought the bits of meat over she carefully tore it into small chunks, setting them down on the ground.

Pim’s nose twitched at the smell, quickly scurrying off her lap and onto the ground, pouncing on the pile of meat bits. He dug in voraciously, snapping up and gnawing on his first meal, very pleased and content with this offering. [say]”I’m not sure. Pim just…seemed right, popped into my head.”[/say] she said with a grin at Emmett.

RE: Hatchling - Emmett - 06-06-2019

[say]"Y'can? How come?"[/say] Emmett asked, not understanding what Phoebe meant. As far as he knew she just had a new pet, and while owners could certainly get to know their pet's moods over time, minutes after the dragon had hatched he doubted she knew Pim's habits yet.

He laughed as he watched the little dragon snap up the meat. [say]"I pity the poor birds n mice outside, when y'let him out."[/say] Her reasoning for the name was odd (to him, obvious dragon names were Fang or Scales or Draco, something like that) but that was what he liked about Phoebe, that she was a little strange. Experimentally, he placed a finger near Pim's nose as you would with a cat, to let him smell.