Court of the Fallen
wanted wear - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: wanted wear (/showthread.php?tid=1255)

Pages: 1 2 3

wanted wear - Remi - 06-19-2019

On the way back from the 'jail', Remi had taken the time to create a bandage for his wrist out of cloth. The skin was only burned slightly, but the muscles were sore and tight from having been shocked with such a powerful bolt of electricity. Though Ronin had pointed out before that Remi was stronger than Zariah, she needled right to the heart of all his insecurities when he was in Northaven, and her exploitation of those still frayed emotions was nearly seamless.

And so, with a weary sigh after having done Zariah's bidding once again, Remi slowly unlocked the door to the guildhouse (which was slowly coming back into focus). Walking into the kitchen, the alchemist unwrapped his wrist and placed it in some cool water. It made him wince, but the temperature was soothing just the same.

[say]"Sugar?"[/say] He called softly over his shoulder, unsure if the dragonling was in her den, or somewhere off with Ronin. If it was the former though, he'd gladly take some ice to put under the bandage.

RE: wanted wear - Ronin - 06-19-2019

Since arriving home from the debacle at the Notice Board, Ronin had been thinking. True, his thinking had involved locking up the guildhall and firing clumsy arrows at a target outside, but still. It helped, he thought. He only realised Remi was home when Sugar stopped swooping away to pick up his discarded arrows and soared indoors, causing the hunter to glance around.

He found Remi in the kitchen, Sugar having settled on the alchemist's shoulder so she could chirp and fuss over him (mainly by snuffling in his ear). [say]"What happened?"[/say] Ronin asked, still holding his bow, though his quiver of arrows was empty.

RE: wanted wear - Remi - 06-19-2019

[say]"I was just thinking about you."[/say] Remi hummed with a musical laugh only vaguely coated with pain, as the dragonling landed on his shoulder. Leaning his head into her and making soft growling sounds in the base of his throat, Remi held up his wrist slightly for Sugar to inspect. [say]"Would you be so kind as to make me some ice?"[/say] The alchemist furthered inquired, shooting the dragon an adoring wink.

Hearing Ronin behind him, Remi's shoulders slumped slightly. Pressing his head against Sugar once more as he turned, the alchemist flashed the hunter a weak smile. Say nothing, Zariah had said, but of course Remi couldn't. Wouldn't.

[say]"Zariah."[/say] He said with a bashful half-wince, running his good hand through his curls.

Ronin felt Sugar's concern like it was his own (and it was), the hunter wincing and drawing closer so he could fetch a bowl for Sugar to work her magic in. The hatchling complied, of course, letting out a soft, crooning trill before directing an icy blast into the bowl, where ice formed and cracked in mere moments. Ronin broke it up while he waited for Remi's inevitable explanation, and when it came the guildmaster's hands flinched slightly.

[say]"I see,"[/say] he said softly, carefully, his eyes like blue fire as he gathered up the ice for Remi to use on his bandages. [say]"She shocked you this time. What was the price?"[/say] What did she make you do?

Watching Sugar work made Remi smile faintly, and before answering Ronin the alchemist leaned down to press a kiss to the top of Sugar's pale forehead. [say]"Thank you."[/say] He whispered to her, before accepting the ice from the hunter without making eye contact. It felt as though Ronin's annoyance (and likely disappointment too), was palpable. And given that the hunter was the only one the alchemist could see with any real clarity, it was hard to see such a storm begin to brew.

[say]"Mmmm. A bit."[/say] Remi said with a nod, placing the ice into the cloth and then awkwardly trying to wrap it himself. Leaning his wrist against his stomach, he fumbled as one does when trying to complete a two-handed task using only one.

[say]"A jail."[/say] The alchemist replied, his shoulders falling again as he leaned back against the counter, his eyes slowly drifting up to read the darkening lines of his friend's face.

[say]"Let me. Please,"[/say] Ronin said, his voice softening as he watched Remi struggle with the bandages. Reaching forward, he carefully helped to secure the ice and the dressing in place, hands echoing the movement as though he had performed it dozens of times. He neatly tied it off, then reached up to scritch Sugar under the chin where she had remained comfortably on Remi's shoulder.

A jail. Perfect. Ronin's expression only darkened further. [say]"She'll put you there, if you put a foot wrong,"[/say] he warned softly, reaching out to carefully clasp the alchemist's shoulders. [say]"And me as well, before too long."[/say] That, he felt, was almost a guarantee.

Greatfully Remi held his arm out. As he watched Ronin neatly secure the dressing, Remi was reminded of the person that Ronin had once been, that he was still in all likelihood. A soldier. A noble. Someone who knew a thing or two about politics. Who could make a difference.

[say]"Something tells me it would not be your first time inside of a jail cell."[/say] Remi said, his tone bordering on teasing but his expression still softly serious. [say]"She said that it would be for the good of everyone ... and ... we had them in Northwind and Northaven. It did not seem like such a terrible idea."[/say] Flashing Ronin a look of uncertainty as his hands clasped Remi's shoulders, the alchemist flexed his wounded hand for a moment before placing it against Ronin's forearm.

[say]"Outside before, by the notice. Before Amalia left she said to meet in the basement of her bakery. I think she is planning something."[/say]

[say]"You would be right. The last time was because I got drunk after an argument, brawled with another man, and then tried to fight Archebold Cobb,"[/say] Ronin said mildly, a small smirk on his face as he recalled the situation. [say]"He threw me in the cell himself, then beat me senseless. I deserved it, obviously."[/say]

But that had been a spark to cause a much, much larger fire in the long term. Ronin resisted the urge to sigh as he heard Remi give all of the excuses in the world for Zariah, but he could not break the chains of a lifetime in one night. [say]"She's going to use to to lock away anyone who goes against her word,"[/say] he pointed out.

[say]"Including Amalia and all those who join her in this underground meeting. So... obviously yes, I'm in."[/say]

[say]"Captain Cobb?"[/say] Remi said with surprise. He had heard many who did not like the bloodfiend turned ascended, but the captain had been nothing but gracious and polite to the alchemist. [say]"So you got drunk, then got into two fights?"[/say] The alchemist wanted to sound disapproving, but he couldn't manage it, and so just grinned and shook his head.

[say]"How is that different from Northaven?"[/say] Remi asked. Almost pathetically, there was no challenge in his voice. Just the misunderstanding of a man who had grown up beneath the boot of society, but having never questioned it. From Remi's point of view, Zariah was doing what all leaders did. It mattered little about whether or not you liked it.

[say]"Oh you are in, are you. I do not remember inviting you. You did not get the secret mental message, after all."[/say]

[say]"And I won the first one,"[/say] Ronin added as if it mattered, before smiling a touch sadly. [say]"An old habit that I have only recently begun to break. Mainly because I try not to get drunk anymore when I'm sad."[/say] He shrugged his shoulders and, as Remi continued to speak, his expression grew grave all over again. With a deep sigh, he gave the alchemist's shoulders a gentle squeeze.

[say]"This was different. It is. We don't want or need that here."[/say] He shrugged. [say]"And I may not have gotten the secret mental message but you wasted no time spilling the beans to me."[/say] He snorted, releasing Remi and ruffling a hand back through his hair. [say]"This is going to be so fucking messy."[/say]

There were things Remi knew of his friend...and things he didn't. Still, he tried to lighten the mood slightly with a smile. [say]"Well, this has cast an entirely new light on the first day I met you then. Here I thought our getting drunk over lunch was all in good fun. Turns out I may merely have been an incidental cure for your mood."[/say] Which he would gladly continue to be.

[say]"No? Why not?"[/say] Remi asked with an avian-tilt to his head. [say]"I thought governments were just...the sort of thing societies had. Why shouldn't we have one here? The fae seem to, and the tensions there just seem to keep rising. No one will stay out of their way. Even after the rockslide..."[/say] Remi shook his head. [say]"Their leader still seemed able to even say thank you. Come to think of it, I do not believe she did."[/say]

Scoffing indignantly at the hunter's comments, Remi nudged Ronin's shoulder on his way out of the kitchen, flopping himself down on the floor by the hearth. [say]"What will you do?"[/say]

[say]"Hey, I didn't say I only got drunk when I was sad. Just that when I do, I get fighty. Apparently."[/say] Except there was no "apparently" about it when Ronin had just admitted to it. Whilst he agreed with Remi on the concept of a government in their society, he couldn't help but feel that the alchemist was missing the point a bit. Tsking as he was nudged, Ronin followed after him into the great hall, sinking down to sit beside him.

[say]"Do you really believe, then, in your heart of hearts, that Zariah Launceleyn in power is going to be a good idea? After what she has done to you - twice. After the decree you heard for yourself. Is she better than no government at all?"[/say] He scowled, in particular, at the memory of the enlistment notice, and subconsciously he slipped an arm around Remi.

[say]"I don't know yet,"[/say] he admitted. [say]"I considered getting sad and getting drunk, but I think even on my best day, Zariah would kick my ass right now."[/say]

[say]"No, but I never really thought Bellamy in power was a good idea either. Or Koel, or the princes."[/say] Remi didn't know the names of any of the royals, but princes seemed an appropriate catch-all, given that he thought there were a few of them. [say]"And..she.."[/say] Biting at his lip and tapping his foot anxiously on the ground, the alchemist sighed. [say]"It is hard to describe."[/say] He managed again after a moment, never once considering that what he was about to describe might actually be magic. [say]"It just seems so...so reasonable, when she is around."[/say] Remi concluded lamely.

Glancing across at Ronin, the alchemist shook his head with an eager smile. [say]"Drunk I can definitely help with. But sad? You will not have time. You have bows to work on shooting and muscles to build. Not to mention all that sleep you will not be getting."[/say] Remi added with a sly smile.

[say]"None of them were. That society should have been changed as well - and now here we are rebuilding it. No Bellamy, no Koel, no princes. Just a family bent on power."[/say] Ronin frowned into the flames. [say]"...I spoke to Roana, shortly after you were brought home the first time. She knows more about the Launceleyns than I, and... and she is even more concerned about what this might mean for us."[/say]

Shaking his head, he stared into the low glow of the fire. [say]"More reasonable than I sound right now?"[/say] he asked softly. [say]"...If she asks you to do anything else, tell me? Or bring me along, even. Please?"[/say]

The alchemist's quip brought a smirk to Ronin's lips, one that he couldn't help, and he rolled his eyes to Remi. [say]"I fear we may be waiting for decades before I'm anything like the way I was."[/say]