Court of the Fallen
Open | A Soldier Displaced - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Open | A Soldier Displaced (/showthread.php?tid=1276)

Pages: 1 2

Open | A Soldier Displaced - Eli - 06-22-2019

"Weapons free! Weapons fre- arrghh!"

"This is Delta 2-1 requesting immediate casevac! They're everywhere! Anyone, respond!"

"Gunnery Chief Monnrow! ...Monnrow! This is Alpha 1-0 Come in...! Come-...

The voices, screams... were like a distant memory, fading slowly, echoing through his mind as he slowly groaned out of unconsciousness, an almost heavenly light filling his vision as his eyes slowly flickered open. The throbbing started almost immediately as if someone had started up a drill into his skull, a weary hand clutched his forehead, snarling bitterly, still dazed, confused. What had happened? The last thing he remembered was- he wasn't sure, it all felt like a fading dream, he tried, tried so hard to recall.

Fighting? ...Screams, bodies... it was all rushing too fast to pick out anything of significance, but he was still alive he knew that much, he could feel the air whipping against his face, it was cool, almost refreshing, a nagging sense told him it had been a while since he'd felt anything quite as nice.

Coming round, his vision finally came into focus, a black, imposing monstrosity jutted into the sky like it was trying to pierce it, with a heavy breath he closed his eyes again, this wasn't right, where was he. He sneered, his mind couldn't help him right now, it was as useless as ever, he needed to remember, needed to know- yet laying here wouldn't solve anything.

Rousing a modicum of energy from within he pushed himself to a sitting position, eyes peering around, no this wasn't familiar at all. Not in the slightest, it was all just.. ruins, remnants of a civilisation long gone. He finally pushed himself to stand, patting himself down, taking in his surroundings with a trained eye as his hand carefully fingered for his equipment. All he had was his knife and tattered uniform, everything else had gone. Had he been robbed while he'd been unconscious? He couldn't recall, but it didn't matter at this point. He turned, trying to see anything at all, but it all seemed desolate, he sighed, weighing up his position.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Are - 06-22-2019

Oh gods, another poor soul claimed by what hungry forces resided in the great void, swallowed whole and spat out to a pleasant day and a rude awakening. "Heill ok sæll, outlander!" Are said as he approached the man probably left a confused bundle of questions by the harsh realizations that always left the new arrivals in shock. Not that he had been any better himself, nor that the effect of leaving a whole life behind had truly faded. Maybe it never would. But helping those that was thrown into the same rough sea seemed like the proper thing to do.

Providing a place of experience in a time of violent turmoil, a rickety jetty to moor one's longboat to while figuring out north from south. "I am Are! Are you hurt?" he added to his greeting, getting to the important bits before the worst shock would set in. Shock he still never really knew what it would bring or how he would handle it, neither the newcomer or Are himself. He had sat down his bundle of furs and closed in but stopped short, the man seemed like one capable of violence, and caution was free. Unarmored, but axe reassuringly at his side should things turn for the worse.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Eli - 06-22-2019

He was just about to move off in his chosen direction when the familiar sound of ground underfoot caused him to suddenly turn in the direction, eyes fixed immediately as the man approached, he lowered his centre of gravity, hand reaching behind to the back of his waist, gripping the knife, it was almost not even a conscious decision on his part, simply instinct.

Monnrow didn't exactly look too great, nor friendly, his tattered uniform was caked in grime, dirt, the insignia on the upper right arm coming loose at the stitching; his face bloodied, slightly gaunt. He was clearly not in the best of moods, with an almost permanent scowl etched on his features  "...Human?!" He demanded, with a bark. Not relaxing just yet but uncurling the hand from the back of his waist, he did feel a little better that he at least looked the same as the man who had so brashly approached him like they'd met on a morning stroll.

With eyes shooting poison at the man, he straightening just slightly, he didn't seem like much of a threat, but it was hard to tell, he did have an axe, though- it was certainly an antique he thought, where -was- he?

"I'm with the Alliance, Gunnery Chief Monnrow, tell me where I am." He added quickly, feigning politeness, but the words came rehearsed and clear as much of a demand as ever.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Are - 06-22-2019

So much for pleasantries, another high strung warrior kind, at least he seemed far better than the last one. Far more human, and his way of rattling off allegiance, title, and orders one used to having peoples ears. In a less literal sense than the beast Are had met in the Labyrinth. Not one to deny a not dead man the knowledge of his predicament, Are shrugged off the air of friendliness and straightened his back. Clad in the face of a would-be warrior he cleared his throat and put his words in order.

"You are in Caido, fallen from your world and ended up here. Take it from one gone through the same thing, it can be slightly jarring a shift, don't do anything brash just yet." he said dry and to the point, seemingly harder than intended, mostly thanks to the harsh dialect. He gave the man another once-over, noting more the build and demeanor, more so than the clothes as those always seemed to be every shade of strange to Are. As it always seemed to be with new arrivals.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Eli - 06-22-2019

Caido? He didn't recognise the name. Clearly he wasn't anywhere near where he'd been. But there had to be somewhere to contact -someone he knew, anyone. He just needed to find it, though the way Are dressed didn't fill him with confidence, Caido sure did seem like a backwards place. He grunted, eyeing the Are for a brief moment more. It didn't dawn on him he might be stuck here, it hadn't even crossed his mind. "Are was it? Tell me Are, how long ago did you come here, you said you got here the same way as me, so- how long ago was it?" He stared at the man, scowling. He didn't fully trust him, he may have been lying, or tricking him in some way, but for now he was the best shot he had of learning something about his predicament, though, knowing his luck, this was just the start.

He took a few paces forward, as if knowing the direction he was about to take. Not giving the man a chance to reply to his first question, he moved to another, as if he was smothering him with demands for knowledge. "Is there- a settlement? A port, anything. Caido can't all be ruins and people like yourself." He gestured to Are, sneering; mocking the way he dressed quite clearly. "I need to find a way to contact the Alliance..." the words came quietly, as if talking to himself, going through the mental process of what he was going to do next. The hand on his knife had fully retracted now, merely perched by his side, hand slightly curled, as if his whole body was still primed to act as a moment's notice.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Are - 06-23-2019

He saw a glint of steel in the man's eyes, something he recognized and should've reassured him it would turn out for the better. Are couldn't catch himself before dwelling on the worse side of things though. A resolute warrior, thrown from everything they had ever known and faced with the harsh reality Caido had to offer. It shone through the weak smile the cobbler offered the newcomer, eyes in discord with the rest of his face, shining pity on a man still grasping after straws he recognized. Still desperately trying to pick up the shreds of a life that was no more.

Are didn't move, in a display of uncharacteristic patience he just silently stood there and witnessed the man trying to come to grips with the situation and form a plan. When finally the words faded out with a whisper he smiled again, sighed as if to gather the power needed to be the bearer of bad news for yet another lost soul. "I am sorry, friend, but there is no way back. Believe me, I've searched for it. The passing is as final as death, poetic, seeing as this could just as well be Hel. It matters not though, what was is no more, and it is more important you find your way in the new than dwell in the old. It leads nowhere..." he spoke like a herald rattling of a list of grain deliveries, merely stating facts, too caught up with the 'what' that he didn't think of the 'how'. As he reached the end of his breath so did his power, his last statement a little more sore than expected.

"There is a settlement, I live there, many do, but I don't think you'll find any way to get a message home from there, lest you find a messenger that can walk through Ginnungagap, the darkness between worlds." Are said, trying to inject a modicum of humor into the conversation. Tacking on a hasty explanation as he realized words of old slipping in.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Eli - 06-23-2019

Shaking his head, the words fell like chain around his neck. No, there must've been a way, a way to get out, a way to get back to where he'd been- battle, death; those screams, all those screams raced through his head. No. Now wasn't the time, his head pounded still, face etched with grim determination. If he was going to find a way out, this man would not be the man to help him, he'd already given up, rolled over to let his fate bind him. The same fate that wouldn't bind him, he was determined and a man's determination was all he had in such trying times.

But what was that? A settlement? He pressed for answers, urgency drenched in his voice. "A settlement? Where? Which direction; population? Facilities?"

Before Are could answer he was looking around, he gazed at the direction the man had come from, and then to the large, protruding spire that jutted from the ground, what was the building for? A monument? A temple? He pushed the thoughts away, now wasn't the time to wonder about trivialities, he look a moment longer before his steely gaze returned to the man himself. A lead was better than nothing at all, even if this antiquated man with his talk of ancient beliefs and superstitions didn't quite fill him with confidence.

Recognizing the look of denial present in the man was agony, for he so knew the feeling that there had to be some way out. Some thing everyone had forgotten and lied in wait just behind the next hill, a truth allowing Caido to be nothing more than a bad dream. A temporary bump in the road but nevertheless just that, temporary.

He wanted nothing more than to lie to the man, give him the hope he so desperately sought. Anything but the truth as Are had come to know it, that whatever was, was no more.

His peculiar words elicited a cocked eyebrow but one fading as their demands were made clear. How the drowning gasp for air only for the sea to answer them 'no'. "That way. I don't have a clue how many we are, enough that you know the faces but not the names of all." Are said, motioning over his shoulder, over a hill and beyond. His voice still desperately clinging to what little warmth he had to spare, gods knew he needed it. "There's all we need, but not what you're looking for I reckon. What are you even looking for?" he couldn't help but to ask, curiosity getting the better of him as he knew it would just add fuel to the fire.

As Are spoke, he quietly began getting himself ready to move; checking over what items he had left; his knife of course, a few rations and his fatigues, now undoing his jacket he gazed up at Are, murmuring, quietly eyeing the direction he pointed at, frowning; he supposed it was as good as anything to head in that direction, he could see the outlines of civilisation at least- suddenly again, he closed his eyes, head pounding, he wasn't in the best shape, but he pushed himself onward, he had to.

"A communications outpost maybe, terminals- something I can use." The words came slightly distant, clearly distracted by his prep work. He doubted the man would understand what he was on about, but he didn't care, a part of him doubted this place even had what he needed but he had to try, there was no doubt about that, he just had to. He finally pulled the jacket off, revealing a white shirt with an odd looking emblem emblazoned on the front of it, though whatever he had been doing, it'd stained it rather a lot, not being the shining beacon of the place he was from it had once been.

He hoisted the jacket over his shoulder, looking at Are again, giving a nod. Whatever he thought of the man, he'd been at least a tiny bit helpful. "I'll head off that way then, see what there is, hopefully find additional aid You're an odd guy, but- you've been at least slightly helpful." Was that a compliment or an insult? It was rather hard to tell coming from him. No matter, he adjusted his belt and exhaled, not being sure what lay before him, and not even being too sure if he was prepared for the situation he was actually in.

His ramblings made little sense to Are who just shook his head and gave the man a look of sorrow. He wanted to apologize, but for what? None of the men had any say in the situation at hand, so instead he sighed, preparing for yet another bout of bad news.

"There's nothing of the sort there I'm afraid." he said, dismissing what yet another little ray of hope as nothing more than a mirage, a reflection only serving to further the pain of loss.

Barely had he made an effort to thwart any brash action, but as the outlander prepared to set out on his own towards the settlement Are countered with a brash action of his own. He placed a heavy hand on the man's shoulder, hoping to be able to provide some sort of moderation to the plan of rushing off into the beehive of activity, and intrigue as of late. "Please, don't. At least not 'til you know what you're getting yourself into." Are said with a stern expression, kindness seemed to fall on deaf ears, so instead he tried a language he barely gotten to know: the warrior's.

"Don't go rushing off into the unknown, kind folks as there are, there's unrest also, and I'd hate to see you get stolen away by the queens people. Sit, listen, then act."

No, he couldn't believe it, not at all; there must've been something, he wasn't about to let the man crush any sort of hope he had, yet suddenly, Eyes narrowed as the man touched him, the hand resting on his shoulder; he tensed ever so slightly, shooting daggers towards Are, yes the man was taller and had clear signs of sinewy muscle, but he doubted the man would be able to stand toe to toe with him for long. He was just about to push the man away when his words resonated- yes, what was he going to do? Wander about aimlessly without any clear plan, that didn't sound helpful, he wasn't about to wander headlong into a world he knew nothing about, he needed information, intelligence on the area, the people, places of interest; he hated to admit it, but Are was correct.

He exhaled, shrugging the hand off roughly. "Fine, what do you suggest then? Sit around and wait, with a thumb up my ass?" He barked, sneering a little. Truly he was lost, confused, angry. His head still hurt, his limbs ached and he'd just be catapulted into an unknown situation. It was enough to make anyone on edge, especially him.

"Come up with helpful suggestions, and don't just tell me what to do, use that damn head of yours maybe." he barked again, his voice fraught with annoyance. He took a few paces behind Are, gazing off in the direction of the settlement. He knew this much, that would have to be his first destination.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Are - 06-24-2019

Anger was good, far better than denial at least, and even more so than brash idiocy. Are should know the latter of the three very well, experience speaks loudly after all, and with is tongue it spoke to an outlander on the verge of making a stay far more difficult than necessary.

A stubborn fool with a goal in mind. A force to be reckoned with, but what better to counter it than the immovable object that was another cut from the same cloth. Although from a wholly 'nother world, but with enough traits to see the grain running in the same, and at the same time opposite, directions.

"My humble suggestion is that you sit down for a moment, 'thumb up your ass' if need be, and listen." he said, voice as tactful as he could keep it what with patience wearing thin. A moments pause, a chance for a heavy sigh and to collect the thoughts left scattered by his little outburst. "You're arriving at a bad time, makes things difficult. I can help you with the basics, but you've gotta stay out of trouble, at least 'til you've figured out what trouble's worth it." Are continued, face turning from anger to worry.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Eli - 06-25-2019

For all his anger and wrath, Eli knew when to actually settle and listen. Begrudgingly, he wandered over to a small rock, planting himself down, elbows leaning against knees as he hunched his back a little, eyes looking up at Are. Part of him hated the fact he was merely, now, sitting here doing nothing, the other part appreciated what Are was actually trying to achieve with this, and so he came to the conclusion that he may as well hear the man out with at least a modicum of deference.

Mismatched eyes scanned Are for a moment before he finally spoke again with a level of deadly calm. "The basics then, what are they. What have I stumbled into, if bad times are upon you."

He wasn't exactly how anything could be worse than what had happened to him, but it was at least worth hearing about, just in case. Letting the wind whip over him, as the sun slowly began its decent to hide behind the horizon, Eli knew he needed to make a move before night finally fell, it would make things a lot easier. Until then, he simply listened.

RE: Open | A Soldier Displaced - Are - 06-25-2019

As frustrated as the man seemed, Are couldn't help but smile as Eli finally relented. Not a small victory, one upon he needed to build something better than brash determination, and fast. Are squatted down and breathed a sigh of relief as the tension left his body. He had been prepared to pay with a bloody nose for his transgression, but happy that stared icy daggers was all he received in return.

"This place has been it's own for nay three hundred years, just now some outlander declared herself queen and got a bunch backing her up. Tensions will be running high, she's drafting people to some grand army, every able man of age. Meaning, you and I, and I have... other purposes to fulfill." he explained in brief, as brief as he could manage without dropping words and going back and forth between the new and the old tongue.

"Now you do as you see fit, but I'm not sticking around for long."