Court of the Fallen
Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You (/showthread.php?tid=1305)

Pages: 1 2

Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Phoebe - 06-25-2019

Phoebe had of course seen the notice. Phoebe had of course seen the new laws. Phoebe had of course seen the upset it caused everyone.

But...she just couldn't bring herself to be that upset.

A leader wasn't a bad thing. And in fact, she thought a lot of the rules made sense. Sure, some where a bit oppressive but...to be so bold as to just claim power like that, maybe they needed to be for a time. So she decided to spend her day inside, avoiding the angry whispers that flooded the streets. Such anger was pointless. What could be done about it? Zariah was powerful. No one could really stand up to her. Instead, the best course seemed to ride it out, and see how things played out.

And that's just what she would do. She set a fruit pie in the oven to bake, her apron and tip of her nose dusty with flour, hair piled a top her head in a messy bun. Pim was practicing flying, jumping from the back of the couch and gliding to the floor. All the while she focused on happy thoughts, deciding to sing a little song she knew from her childhood.

[say]Ho, ro, the rattlin' bog
The bog down in the valley-o
Ho, ro, the rattlin' bog

In that bog there was a tree
A rare tree, a rattlin' tree
The tree in the bog
In the bog down in the valley-o

Ho, ro, the rattlin' bog
Ho, ro, the rattlin' bog

And on that tree there was a limb
A rare limb, a rattlin' limb
The limb on the tree and the tree in the bog
In the bog down in the valley-o
[/say]

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Emmett - 06-26-2019

Emmett had taken a day or so after his outburst at Zariahs to try and calm himself, so that he wouldn't blow up at the next person he saw. At least the pigs didn't understand if he yelled. It took a lot of his patience to be good with his siblings, but he somehow managed it. At night, he grabbed his blankets in his fists and twisted them as he thought over the conversation.

When he did finally come to Phoebe's, it was with a mind to try and have a nice time. To take it all out of his mind - for he was sure it would not be all that serious in the end, right? It would likely all blow over in the next week, and he would have been overdramatic for nothing. In the meantime, he still had a girlfriend to see, whom he hoped he'd be seeing much longer than this stupid leadership would go on for.

Knocking twice at her door then letting himself in, he immediately felt a smile come to his face at the sight of her happily singing with flour on her nose, looking adorable. Emmett rushed forward and hugged her, pressing his face into her neck as he mumbled a hello and swayed, to no particular tune.

[say]"Y'have a nice singin' voice."[/say] He told her, whispered by her ear as he pulled away.

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Phoebe - 06-26-2019

Phoebe looked up from where she was wiping down her counter hearing the knock, smiling as Emmett stepped in before she could call out to the person at the door. [say]”Oh! Well hello there stranger!”[/say] she teased with a light laugh, setting her rag aside. Really it hadn’t been that long but…well she missed him when he wasn’t around even for a short time. But she was trying very hard to not let her need for closeness to get in their way anymore. Emmett needed his space sometimes and she needed to respect that.

But she had hardly a second to turn back to him before he was suddenly right there, arms wrapping around her waist and snugging her close to him. [say]”Careful, you’ll get flour all over you!”[/say] she said with a light laugh, even as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, happy to sway with him, humming the tune she had been singing. [say]”Thank you. I’m not certain I would call it nice but at least I can sing on a key.”[/say] she said with a light laugh.

Gently she tried to pat the flour off of his clothes. [say]”I don’t think I’ve ever seen you cross a room so fast to get to me. Miss me that much, huh?”[/say] she teased with a grin.

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Emmett - 06-26-2019

Emmett clearly didn't care one bit about the flour (of all the things he got covered in on an average day, it was really a nice change) as he held her for a while longer, pressing little kisses just under her ear and shaking his head as she denied the niceness of the voice. [say]"I ain' ever heard anythin' so beautiful. Y'could sing at the bar and they'd have to block 'em at the door."[/say]

He pulled away a little, smiled at her and looked to the oven. [say]"Aw, no, clearly I'm here for the food--"[/say] He pressed a kiss to her lips. [say]"Obviously."[/say] Another kiss. [say]"Just the food."[/say]

But eventually he did have to let her go so he reluctantly stepped away and stretched, sniffing the air. [say]"What is it you're cookin', though? Smells great. I ain' eaten anythin' proper in a while...been busy with the farm and uh...other...stuff..."[/say] The way he mumbled off made it clear the other stuff was not really anything he wanted to elaborate on. [say]"What about you?"[/say]

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Phoebe - 06-26-2019

Phoebe laughed, a mixture of amusement and ticklishness, leaning towards the little kisses along her neck, soaking in the affection like a flower soaks in the sun’s rays. [say]”Now that’s a real over exaggeration!”[/say] she said kissing his cheek. But any further protests were quieted by his assertion he was just there for the food. She gasped, preparing to jokingly chide him, but instead found his lips pressed to hers, and a second time before she could get her bearings.

Whatever love bug had bitten him she hoped stuck around! Maybe Frey sent it. [say]"Just the food huh? Well you can't eat me!"[/say] she said with a giggle, the innuendo of what she said going right over her pretty blonde head.

[say]”Emmett.”[/say] she said in a chiding tone, putting her hands on her hips. [say]”You need to eat. You work too hard to go skipping meals or barely eating them.”[/say] she said before hurrying to her cupboard. Rummaging for a moment she pulled out some cheese and jerky and slices of bread. [say]”Here, to tide you over until the pie is done. It’s mixed berry, and it’ll turn your mouth blue.”[/say] she said with a smile. But she had heard the little bit of upset in his voice, and it worried her. [say]”Oh I’ve been fine. Just keeping busy in here. Everyone on the street is just angry and gossipy.”[/say] she said with a sigh, pretending not to see Pim who was sniffing around Emmett, looking for some jerky.

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Emmett - 06-27-2019

[say]"I mean, I could eat ya, but not in the kitchen."[/say] Emmett snorted, grinning at his own dumb (low-hanging) joke.

She told him off for not eating right and he shrugged. [say]"I make sure the kids eat alright, but it's borin' t'cook when I've done a whole loada work on the farm and I'm tired."[/say] Usually, he'd grab whatever he could find -- whether that was a glass of milk or some left over meat, a boiled potato with salt..he'd never been bothered about gourmet.

Still, he readily took the plate and began to make himself a little sandwich, passing down a scrap of jerky for Pim. [say]"Is...turnin' y'mouth blue good? And yeah? What're they gossipin' about?"[/say] He hoped it was something different from Zariah, but he doubted it (and he also hoped that if it was Zariah, it wasn't about his argument with her).

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Phoebe - 06-27-2019

Phoebes cheeks turned bright red at his joke, but a little mischievous smile curved her lips. [say]”Oh yeah? How come? Not the adventurous sort, Emmett?”[/say] she countered, cheeks still beat red as she did her best to channel the sort of naughty things Frey might say. [say]”The kitchen is made for eating in you know.”[/say]

She sighed and shook her head at his excuses, peaking into the oven at the pie. Still a little bit to go it seemed. [say]”You know, you really could just send the kids up here for me to watch. You walk here after working the farm most of the time anyways, and then you wouldn’t have to worry about cooking dinners or cleaning or any of it after a long day working.”[/say] she said with a little smile, patting the rest of the flour dust off of her apron.

[say]”I think it does! It means there is really good filling in it.”[/say] she said with a grin. Pim trilled happily, snatching the jerky out of Emmett’s hand and curling up next to the little shrine to Frey Phoebe had made near the fireplace.

[say]”The new Queen.”[/say] Phoebe said with a heavy sigh, rolling her eyes a bit. [say]”Everyone is all angry and up in arms about it and she hasn’t even hardly done anything..”[/say] she said shrugging a bit. [say]”Everyone is assuming it’s the worst thing ever but it isn’t based on anything.”[/say]

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Emmett - 06-27-2019

Emmett was surprised (but not a little impressed) when Phoebe bounced back his dirty joke. He grinned and looked about, splayed out his hands in an amicable gesture. [say]"Hey, if you wanna, sure."[/say]

[say]"Yeah...I dunno, I guess I still wanna try do stuff by myself...also, to be honest, I get so tired n focused on one goal I kinda forget loadsa stuff."[/say] He shrugged and looked down. [say]"Sometimes it feels like I'm just puppetin' my body t'do my chores n stuff, y'know?"[/say]

At the mention of The New Queen, Emmett tensed. For the moment, in a very controlled motion, he just leaned back against the counter and tried to take a breath before he replied. Phoebe didn't get it, she didn't mean to be so...so...just...wrong. [say]"Well, don' you think declarin' herself queen without askin' a single soul in the town is doin' somethin'? Specially when she hardly knows any of us? And making everyone sign up t'join an army...what for? We ain' got anyone to fight. Y'know it means I gotta join it, right? I can' be goin' off and trainin' and fightin'. I got a farm to run and kids t'look after."[/say] He screwed up his face into an irritated scowl.

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Phoebe - 06-27-2019

[say]”Maybe I do.”[/say] she teased, swaying her hips a bit with a cheeky grin.

But as he described how he was feeling, all while still insisting he should do it himself, she raised a brow at him, putting her hands on her hips. [say]”You do hear yourself, right?”[/say] she said, a bit of a sassy tone in her voice. [say]”There is no reason for you to be putting yourself through that, and it certainly isn’t any way to live – you’ll put yourself in an early grave if you keep this up.”[/say] she said, her expression softening into a small smile. [say]”Let me help you. Send the kids up to stay with me and come here to eat and sleep. Then you can focus on your chores and not worry about the other stuff.”[/say]

Oh, but he sure did get a stormy look when she spoke about Zariah. [say]”Ohhhh so you’re one of those angry gossiping folks, huh?”[/say] she said with a small smirk, lightly teasing him to break the tension. Phoebe walked up next to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, sidling up close to him. [say]”Where I grew up, we had a king and queen, and they didn’t know the vast majority of the people. And I am not so sure training everyone to fight and protect their home is such a bad thing just in case someone to fight does show up…and I already said I would look after your siblings and cook you meals and do your cleaning.”[/say] she said, tone soft and gentle, showing him her thought process on it. She leaned forward and kissed his cheek, lifting a hand to run her fingers through his hair.

[say]”I’m not saying you don’t have a right to be mad or suspicious, and you have every right to ask questions. Her note did say she had audience hours, didn’t it?”[/say] She kissed his cheek again, trying to keep him calm to talk this through. [say]”Of course, you don’t have to agree with me. I just don’t like seeing you this worked up when there are so many other things on your plate you need to focus on.”[/say]

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Emmett - 06-28-2019

[say]"I--Mmm."[/say] He folded his arms, begrudgingly accepting Phoebe's help. It was hard sometimes to see through his pride. His family had never needed help before, but they hadn't been one young man, two toddlers and a half-ruined farm back then either. [say]"I'll work out a routine. Maybe bring 'em up here a couple days a week...thanks, Bee."[/say]

She got it right on the mark when she called him one of the angry gossipy folks, though Emmett had done considerably more than just gossip. He had taken his issues right to Zariah's doorstep.

Her arms around him and her loving manner did help to calm him a little bit. Huffing air through his nose and mouth, he shook his head. [say]"It's...different, though, if you've always had one. This is just someone decidin' they're leadin' us. Tha' isn' how it should work. It should be someone we all know and respect...I jus'...mmm."[/say] He shook his head.

[say]"I don' like it, Bee. I got a feelin' this is leadin' to somethin' bad."[/say]

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Phoebe - 06-28-2019

Phoebe grinned and kissed his cheek when he finally relented. [say]Just bring them up here. Don’t worry about carting them back and forth. You just focus on the farm.”[/say] she said with a warm smile, resting her head on his shoulder. [say]”You’re welcome.”[/say]

But she didn’t stay relaxed long as he continued to be argumentative about their new monarch. [say]”I think though, that is how that works. Someone with enough power and pull just…takes charge.”[/say] she said, running her fingers through his hair and along his scalp in a soothing manner. [say]”And I know it isn’t fair. I know you don’t like it. But just…try, perhaps, to see what comes of it? There are enough people up in arms as it is…but you can’t afford to be reckless. You’re all Chris and Milly have left.”[/say] she said with a little frown.

[say]”Have you signed up for the army yet?”[/say] she asked him, a look of concern on his face. [say]”I know you don’t like it, and don’t want to, and it makes you mad but…there are people here relying on you. And you can’t help anyone if you’re sitting in a jail cell.”[/say] she said gently, kissing his lips chastely. It was clear from her tone and face she wasn’t trying to scold or lecture him, and her words coming from a place of concern borne from her care for him.

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Emmett - 06-30-2019

Phoebe was, Emmett thought, alarmingly welcoming to a sudden new power. In the face of what he felt should be something outrageous, morally wrong, discomforting...she seemed indifferent, if not positive. Staring at her, his expression dropped into outright confusion. Not quite disgust, though that did brew inside his heart.

[say]"No, I didn' sign up for the army. And I ain' gonna. Bee, we don' know what this woman wants or how she's gonna go about it. What if next week she wants t'kill Naturals? Or take over the farms? We don' know. It's not right, it's not fair, and I ain' gonna join her army. I stand for my principles. I think tha's the best example to the kids I can be."[/say] He moved away from her, not violently but clearly, stepping to the other side of the room.

[say]"I...don' get how y'can' see that this is bad. Why're you so willing t'just bend down n take this?"[/say] His voice was not angry, more desperate, his hands open and frozen in front of him in a motion beginning her to explain.

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Phoebe - 07-01-2019

She saw the way his expression dropped, felt the way he stiffened under her touch, and in a way, felt her own heart drop to her stomach. Was this going to be another one of those fights? Would this make them snap? Was the dream and glow of happiness going to be dissipated once more? Phoebe swallowed and looked at the ground as he stepped away and began to...not yell at her; but he was clearly displeased with her thinking.

He asked her why she was willing to bend to this new rule, and silently she turned away and went to the oven. The young midwife remained silent as she checked, then pulled the pie out. She set it on a small rack to cool, extinguishing the flame in the oven before turning back to face him, expression an odd cross between serious and sad.

[say]"A few reasons. The first being that I sort of agree with what she has set forth as laws so far. Yes, her method wasn't tactful, but the content is sound. An armt to protect us is important. We don't know who all is out there, or what they will think of us, and I have seen first hand how important a prepared military is to protecting the people. Not only that, she is making real steps to put aside divisive ideas to make us one whole people. I've...I don't want to be an Outlander anymore. I want to be part of a people again. I want to be a Hollowed Grounder like you and everyone else."[/say] she said, feeling tears well up in her eyes and she paused, tipping her head back to keep them from falling as she stared at the ceiling. After a moment she sighed and looked at him again.

[say]"But also, what is me being angry going to do? I am not as powerful as her. I don't have the mind to lead a nation. And frankly, Emmett, I think you're being indulgent of yourself and irresponsible. I want you to really think about this. You say you're standing for your principles. Alright. Fine. So you end up in jail. There is no one to run the farm anymore. Chris and Milly have basically no stability. I doubt I won't even be able to keep them because there will be a line out the door of Natural farmfolk ready to remind me I don't belong and shouldn't keep them while you're in jail. And then, worst case scenario, you get put to death for defying the crown. And for a while people will whisper about it, they will be angry, for a moment you will be a martyr for your principles. Then in two weeks or so, most everyone will have got on with their lives and forgotten about you. And all you will have left is a grieving girlfriend, a forgotten farm, and two toddlers who have lost one more member of their family."[/say] she said, her voice tight with emotion by the end - tight, but calm and measured. There was no yelling or screaming, just calm reasoning with a hint of her inner hurt and turmoil. A few tears rolled down her cheeks, and she quickly wiped her eyes to dry them.

Frey, give her strength.

[say]"I know how this goes, Emmett. I have witnessed it enough times in my own world. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but it is reality. I have chosen to continue to do what good I can for the people I care for within the constraints of this new rule. You have to decide for yourself what is more important, your principles, or your family. You cannot have both in this situation."[/say] she said quietly, watching him seriously.

RE: Sleep, and I Shall Soothe You - Emmett - 07-01-2019

While Emmett didn't agree necessarily with Phoebe's first point (there were other ways to unify a people than through a forcefully appointed leader) he could emphasise with her desires to be accecpted and in a community. But the rest of what she said, what followed, went against every principle he had in him, every stubborn part of him that wanted to stand for what was right and not bend for anyone.

[say]"So you're sayin' because it could go bad, we shouldn' do anythin'? Bee. I'm sorry, but tha's just...awful. Tha's how bullies end up takin' over, cos everyone's scared of them and what they're gonna do. I can' be scared. If enough of us stand up and show her that we can' be scared, we might be listened to. But if we all put our heads down n go along with it cos we might get punished, we're jus' sheep."[/say] He shook his head, conviction clear on his face.

[say]"I know what my Pa would have done, and I know what I'm gonna do. And it sure ain' jus' lettin' anyone who feels like it declarin' themselves better than me and tryina tell me what t'do. I..."[/say] He softened, looked at her and sighed. [say]"I don' wanna fall out with ya, Phoebe, but if you're gonna be this lenient I dunno if I'd even feel good about leavin' the kids here. What if some guards came over and said they're takin' the kids now? Or you get taken? You'd just go? Let 'em take 'em? When do you draw the line?"[/say]

If it were anyone other than Phoebe, Emmett would not have been trying to reason. He would have dismissed this argument as that of a cowardly bootlicker and left. But even though Phoebe couldn't see what to him was the painfully obvious course of action, he didn't want to lose her, though he could see the threads unravelled already, around the already shoddy patch.