Court of the Fallen
So Sweet the Taste - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: So Sweet the Taste (/showthread.php?tid=1730)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

So Sweet the Taste - Adam - 09-01-2019

Adam was not used to having friends.

Or at least, proper friends. He'd had plenty of drinking buddies, hook ups, rivals-that-he-didn't-entirely-hate, once even a wife; but he would be hard pressed to call any of them friends. Not in the way he was friends with Amalia, where he felt bad for the way he had last spoken to her. Bit back at her question like a cornered animal; the moment had passed but the guilt still lingered by his heart.

So he decided to try and make it up, the way he knew how. Stomping his feet at the sudden chill in the air (seasons in his world had been less harsh, more a gradual incline into a mild cold or weak heat) he clutched in his hand a small bag containing something very precious to him indeed. Hopefully, Amalia would get the significance.

Entering the bakery, he yelled into the building: [say]"Hey! Ama! You got some time to hang out?"[/say]

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Amalia - 09-03-2019

It is Jyoti who greets the tall, slender man, appearing as soon as he appears at the door in a flurry of song and starlight. Contrary to much of the rest of the world, the whale has been growing steadily more exuberant as the days grow colder and darker, finding familiarity to her former home. With childish abandon she coos merrily at Adam, bathing him in starlight and searching for Coffee whole simultaneously nudging his back to push him fully into the store.

Amalia, as usual, is working. As Adam enters the bakery he will find the girl up to her elbows in flour, kneading a massive ball of dough with the fervor of a baker who knows long night will soon fall, and she must do all she can to keep ahead of it. A collection of loaves already covers the counter, in various stages of completion- evidence of a full week's work crammed into one day.

Raising her head as the bakery door opens, Amalia flashes her friend a slightly weary smile. [Say]"Hey, yeah- just let me get this rising. It's my last one for the day."[/say] Reaching up to brush away a lock of hair with the back of her hand, the girl succeeds only in streaking flour across her forehead while Jyoti fixes Adam with a look that says, See?

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Adam - 09-03-2019

Adam was still a little surprised to see the small, flying whale - had he seen such a sight before Caido he would have assumed someone had slipped something into his drink. But after his initial shock he smiled and waved, laughing as he was pushed in. Coffee swooped in the door behind him, having stayed behind on the journey to investigate a very interesting mouse.

Amalia was working hard, Adam smiling at the flour covering her arms. There was something he envied there, about simple and honest work, that would be too difficult to fully admit to himself.

[say]"Cool, cool, I'm not in any rush."[/say] Leaning against the counter, he watched her work the bread. [say]"I brought us some...supplies. The kind that let you have a really good time."[/say] He winked. [say]"Thought maybe we could hang out, get high and chill. It's fucking chaos around here lately, so it'd be a nice break, huh?"[/say]

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Amalia - 09-04-2019

It is a nice change of pace to have Adam there. Despite the tension of their last adventure Amalia finds his presence soothing, his lack of interest in larger affairs something of a relief. Too often these days time spent with her friends is centered around catastrophe: stopping the blight, salvaging the Spire, praying to gods and looking for salvation in the darkest recesses of the world.

It is nice, sometimes, to take a moment and remember what it means to simply live.

[say]"Supplies?"[/say] Raising an eyebrow quizzically, Amalia begins to scrape the dough off her counter and transfer it to a bowl to rise. Maybe it is this distraction that leaves her confused by his explanation, her eyebrows furrowing in obvious bemusement as he suggests they get high and chill. [say]"High? Like flying?"[/say] But he can't fly, and now the girl is more confused than ever, too naive and sheltered a child to understand the implications of what Adam is offering.

Shrugging, the baker shakes her head, wiping her hands on her apron. Adam knows her well enough he can probably see the weariness on her face, shadows underneath her eyes and a weight upon her shoulders. Leaning her elbows on the counter, she places her head on the palms of her hands and glances wistfully at where Jyoti is eagerly harrying Coffee to play. [say]"It would be nice to have a break,"[/say] she admits, her voice tired.

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Adam - 09-04-2019

[say]"Yeah, suppl--wait, what?!"[/say] Hearing Amalia ask if he meant like flying almost made Adam choke, the laughter bubbling up in him loud and immediate. He had assumed that any grown adult had partaken in at least one of the things he carried about with him. [say]"Er...phew, man. No, no not like flying. Like...uh..."[/say]

Trying to stem his giggles, he cleared his throat and started again, much more bluntly. [say]"I mean like get high off drugs. Like this."[/say] Scavenging around in his bag, he pulled out a little bag, from which he shook out two pills into his hand. They were roughly spherical, a sort of grey-green colour. [say]"This is the mildest stuff I've got. Don't wanna overwhelm you or owt. But it'll still be good shit."[/say]

Perhaps it was being a bad influence to get his sweet baker friend high. But Adam hadn't just kicked back and tripped with someone for ages, and he was getting bored of alcohol. [say]"So what d'ya say?"[/say]

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Amalia - 09-05-2019

His laughter is wholly unexpected, and she blinks a moment, tired mind struggling to make sense of  what he means. She might have been irritated with anyone else, but Adam's giggling is only bemusing, making her tilt her head and frown as she wants for him to subside in his mirth and explain what it is he has in mind.

And the thing he says... well. Straightening up like a startled animal, the baker licks her lips uncertainly as he extracts a set of pills. [say]"Drugs?[/say] she repeats, her voice a squeak of disbelief and something like panic. Nobody has offered her drugs before, and really all she knows about them is that her grandmother would caution her to stay away from them while her mother shrugged, not particularly concerned.

And now here is her strange friend, offering her pills. Still standing on the other side of the counter, Amalia squints skeptically at his outstretched hand, not quite ready to agree but also not outright rejecting the offer. She's been worn thin over this past year, and anything to help relax is tempting, as morally ambiguous as it may be. [say]"What will it do to us?"[/say]

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Adam - 09-06-2019

[say]"Yes. If you haven't picked up on the fact I do drugs by now Amalia, I'm kinda worried."[/say] Adam was not at all self-conscious about his use of questionable substances. In his opinion, more people should have been doing them. Never mind the years he'd spent in gutters or in debt or sick; those weren't the fun sexy stories he could tell.

He was about to put them back in his bag, sure she would object, when she asked her question. With a smirk, he held out them out towards her and widened his eyes. [say]"First, you'll turn green. Then you'll throw up worms. Then you'll die."[/say] Waiting a second for dramatic effect, he then leaned back and shook his head, laughing. [say]"Nah, this is pretty mild shit. Uh...you might feel kinda floaty, colours might look more intense? Things will be more funny. I dunno, it does different stuff to different people. But it's not gonna be wild. Sides, if anything goes wrong, I'll be right there, and trust me I've got the experience."[/say]

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Amalia - 09-08-2019

[say]"I mean... I guess I... I hadn't thought about it."[/say] She shrugs helplessly, abashed and bemused as she picks at her apron, her cheeks stained a little pink. [say]"I don't... have a lot of friends. Who do drugs. And the ones here tend to be..."[/say] Rough, like everything else in Caido, often leading to remarkable side effects.

But Amalia trusts Adam, sort of, with certain things, and he seems fairly confident and sincere in his offer. It feels unlikely that he would do anything to hurt her, their somewhat strained last encounter aside, and his description of the terrible effects only relaxes the girl. Laughing, Amalia arches a brow. [say]"I've always wanted to be green,"[/say] the baker grins, shaking her head. Seeing brighter colors, intense feelings of floating... it sounds like something Frey would enjoy, and not in an awful way.

Shrugging at last, the baker bites her lip before nodding down. [say]"Alright. I'll... I'll try it. Just a little, though."[/say]

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Adam - 09-10-2019

[say]"Oh, I'm sure some friends you don't even know about have done."[/say] Adam said with absolute confidence, as if he had met each one and asked. It was hard for him to imagine a group of people who had not interacted with at least one taboo subject, drugs or otherwise. Whether that was a product of his upbringing or wise was impossible to know, but he believed even Amalia had to have some dark skeletons in her closet.

Despite her curiousity he was absolutely shocked when she agreed. It took a couple of seconds for him to respond, staring at her with a slowly growing smile.

[say]"Oh, hell yeah. Let's go somewhere soft and nice to sit."[/say] He walked behind the counter, then looked over her baked goods and grinned. [say]"And hey, when we're high and hungry as shit, you've got the best stash of snacks ever!"[/say]

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Amalia - 09-10-2019

Does Amalia have skeletons in her closet? Not particularly fun ones, certainly- traumas and mistakes, hard words and broken relationships, with some childhood mischief thrown in for good measure. The couple of times she had been drunk, and it ended disastrously.

Safrin's cold voice telling her she is nothing.

Adam's voice is warm, and it's here, and she clings to it, relishing the easy way he jokes with her, the brightness of his grin. Perhaps it is vulnerability which makes her so hasty to agree, throwing aside her usual caution in favor of a potential mistake.

He asks for somewhere soft to sit, and she tilts her head curiously, raising a wary and bemused brow. [say]"There's my bed?'[/say] the girl suggests, suddenly nervous, Adam being one of only two men who have ever slept in the tiny structure. [say]"Or we could go outside, but it's cold."[/say] From where she plays with Coffee Jyoti gives a trill, excited by the prospect of going back into the chill. It is easy for Amalia to don a coat of fur, but Adam does not have the same protection. Anxiously she pulls at her apron before realizing she ought to take it off. Or should she? Will she be able to work, high? Will she be able to do anything? How long will it last, how strange will it be, how sick will it make her?

Maybe she should have thought this through.

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Adam - 09-11-2019

[say]"That'll do. Hopefully big n scary won't come beat me up for getting on it with you, right?"[/say] He asked in a joking tone, though Deimos did actually intimidate him somewhat. He did not look like the kind of man Adam wanted to get on the wrong side of.

He knew where it was so he walked up the stairs, never one afraid to make himself at home. [say]"I think you could do with a relax, right? What with all the weird disease shit and all your shrine work and Sa...Safriiinnnn? Yeah. Safrin being sick."[/say] He smiled and nodded, happy with himself for remembering her name. It was better than he'd ever done with the Gods back home.

As they came to her bedroom he flopped down on the end of her bed and pulled out the little bag again, kicked off his boots. [say]"So you can either suck on it or swallow it whole. I'd probably reccommend you suck, cos then it's slower and more uh...gradual, you know. If you swallow it it'll feel like nothing for ten minutes, then BANG."[/say] He spread out his fingers, then held out one of the small green balls to Amalia.

[say]"S'up to you, though."[/say]

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Amalia - 09-11-2019

She giggles uneasily at the mention of Deimos' disapproval, realizing that while she has no idea what he might think of her getting high with a confessed thief in her bed in the middle of the afternoon. It is a testament to Amalia's own exhaustion and deteriorating mental health that she was willing to accept the invitation so quickly, desperate for any escape from the things that weigh upon her.

Still, she's a little hesitant as she follows Adam up the stairs, anxiety rising back within her, a threatening tide of doubt. Maybe this is a terrible idea. What if someone needs her? What if someone comes to the shop? What if the blighted strike, or Vi returns with more instructions, or anything else happens where being inebriated poses a problem?

What if she does something absurd, and he thinks less of her for it?

Still, Amalia could use a break. [say]"Yeah, I guess."[/say] Reaching up to rub the back of her neck, she leans against the door frame as Adam settles onto the bed. The green balls he produces seem unassuming enough; listening intently, she takes one from him, inspecting it with an uncertain expression.

Amalia sits at the head of the bed, tucking her bare feet in beneath her, cross legged and still rather unsure. Sucking sounds smarter, but part of her knows that if she doesn't take the plunge all at once, she won't do it at all. Even now it seems like a terrible idea, and the doubt that is clawing at her mind is getting louder and more insistent, and she really probably shouldn't do this at all-

-but gods, she wants to relax.

[say]"Well, here goes nothing,"[/say] the Shield declares, popping the green pill into her mouth and swallowing it down in one solid gulp.

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Adam - 09-13-2019

Adam, who had come to expect a measured response from Amalia, was delightfully shocked when she swallowed the whole thing. Doing much the same himself (not that it would do much; he barely used these because of his long-ago maxed out tolerance) he leaned back against the wall with a smirk. [say]"Shit, all in, huh? I didn't think you were such a badass."[/say]

There was actually a deeper reason he had asked her to do this, but it had to wait until they were both more relaxed, until he wasn't himself enough that he could discuss what he wanted to. For the moment he just folded his hands on his lap and looked to the ceiling.

[say]"Y'know...you can put a lot of the stuff I have into cakes and stuff. You could probably sell them for extra. What do you think?"[/say] He wouldn't have thought she'd take him up on that, but he also would never have foreseen her swallowing the pill whole, so he was ready to be surprised.

RE: So Sweet the Taste - Amalia - 09-14-2019

As soon as she swallows down the pill Amalia is gripped with severe regret, anxiety coming over her like clawing and cloying smoke. [say]"Y... yeah,"[/say] she replies with a nervous giggle, not sure badass is the word she would use to describe herself. Moron, maybe. Impulsive. Reckless. Druggie. Future addict. Nervous wreck. Failure-

Luckily Adam speaks up again and saves her from her downward spiral. Lifting her head from on top of her knees the baker turns to face him, though her hands are still wrapped tightly enough around her legs to leave claw marks in the skin. [say]"Extra what?"[/say] A crooked smile that does not quite make it to her eyes; her anxiety is clear on her expressive face. Is she high yet? [say]"People don't exactly pay me for my wares."[/say]

Sweat is beading on Amalia's brow, a sign that she is anything but relaxed. Clearly the drugs aren't working on her. Clearly this was a terrible idea.