Court of the Fallen
quarter past midnight - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: quarter past midnight (/showthread.php?tid=1797)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: quarter past midnight - Rexanna - 10-13-2019

A him of laughter is what Remi is met with. He can think of it all he wants, but she knows the fact that she had absolutely zero thoughts as to what was in the box of fireworks other than just that. Fireworks.

But he mentions working out the history between Loren and him, and she can understand that to an extent. She’s trying to do the same with Kiada, and when she speaks of the Harpy and he pulls back to look at her she gives him a wide fanged grin. “[say]You heard me.[/say]” She jests with a wink before continuing on. “[say]It’s a long story really, so I’ll try to keep it short. But when I came to Caido, I started to get these… Memories? Of a different version of me that had left Halyven at the same time, but was dropped in a different world. And I lived quite a full life there.[/say]” She says thoughtfully, pausing while she figures out where to go next without sounding insane.

“[say]It’s how I know Deimos so well. He was there too, has the same memories. But, that being said… That girl that is always with him, Kiada, she’s my daughter from that other life.[/say]” She explains in quite possibly the most awkward way. “[say]After a few years of being in Helovia, I had her and her twin brother. We lived in a place called the Aurora Basin that Deimos ruled over. It’s why she’s so fond of him — he’s basically her father figure.[/say]” She pulls back enough to look at his face and see how he takes it.

RE: quarter past midnight - Remi - 10-13-2019

A full life seemed to mean one that extended far beyond the years that the Penumbra boasted on her face, for she certainly wasn't old enough in this world to have a daughter of Kiada's age. The news about Deimos was a surprise too, but then again the times they've been around each other in a group were not usually ones filled with simple chatter.

"I have met Kiada. A few times even. She tried to steal a certain rose of mine, not too long ago." He says with a wry smile, finding this all both strange, but not necessarily that hard to swallow.

"So..Kiada has a twin brother. Deimos was a .. king?" Ohh, the mountains. That must be what the Sword had been speaking of. Remi didn't mention anything about how strange it was that Kiada lived under Deimos since you know pony-ages and whatnot don't strictly correlate well here. "And your son?" He asks softly, brows furrowing together.

RE: quarter past midnight - Rexanna - 10-14-2019

A puff of a sigh leaves her, recalling the information Deimos had given her. “[say]I heard she was blighted.[/say]” She admits, a slight frown crossing her face – feeling somehow like it’s her fault in the end, even though it really wasn’t. “[say]I’m sure she’ll apologize for it.[/say]” She adds, not knowing Kiada very well, but knowing how she was raised in that strange… Other memory place.

At the question, though, she frowns a small amount, hands reaching up to brush along the feathers of his wings he’s cocooned them with. “[say]Kiada and Kianzo.[/say]” She announces briefly. “[say]Deimos was my king, yes. Ruled ever since I arrived until he died. So imagine my surprise when I arrived and he was the first person I met and we just kind of… Stood there, surprised and confused as the memories came flooding back.[/say]” She snorts.

Ah, but Kianzo. “[say]Kianzo has been missing for a long time.[/say]” She says, a hint of sadness crossing her voice. “[say]He went missing when I took Kiada from the Basin, from under Deimos’ rule to live in their father’s land. We found him for a brief moment, until the world fell. Then he was lost again.[/say]” She pauses in the stroking of his feathers to think a bit more on it. “[say]She hasn’t forgiven me, and even though I’ve spoken to her here, she harbors… A lot of anger toward me, even though I’m not that same me.[/say]”

RE: quarter past midnight - Remi - 10-14-2019

"She did." He agrees immediately, finding it strange to be consoling Rex for the actions of her daughter.

But of course that was nothing compared to what she said next. "Died?" He repeated, dumbstruck. "And were you...did you...?" Remi didn't want to think of Rexanna as a ghost, but given her utter lack of body temperature in this moment, it was strikingly hard not to. His feathers ruffle beneath her fingers as his mind flashes, trying to sort and store this information in a way that makes even a bit of sense.

"I am so sorry. I had no idea." He manages eventually, expression heartbroken for his friend, wondering how it was they'd gone for over a year now, and Remi had never thought to ask of her past. Perhaps he was a good deal more selfish than even Loren had accused him of being. "I suppose I know a bit of what it is like to have to apologize for the actions of a person you used to be.." With his memories gone, he too finds himself utterly divorced from the sunny-eyed man who'd initially come across from Northaven. Not enough though to completely make him guilt-free, but enough that it was hard to feel like he was the same person. "Though never with family. Especially a child.." Curling his fingers around her and offering her a sad smile, the alchemist can only really sigh. "If there is anything I can do.." Though he's sure she knows.

RE: quarter past midnight - Rexanna - 10-15-2019

“[say]Good.[/say]” Rexanna begins, before Remi is distracted by the mention of Deimos’ death. “[say]Me? Oh, no. I didn’t die.[/say]” She says soothingly, hands tracing the wings and feathers extended. “[say]There’s still that other version of me out there somewhere, I think. I went with Kiada to that other world, when my own fell. And I just… didn’t quite leave like she did. Makes things awkward though since she’s only a few years younger than me.[/say]” A hum of amusement leaves her throat toward the end.

“[say]You didn’t know.[/say]” She offers easily, nothing of her history in this world or any others were anyone’s fault. It just made it harder when people recalled it. Like Deimos, like Kiada, like Hotaru. But when he comments next, she nods along. “[say]I suppose we’re birds of a feather, you and I.[/say]” The pun is too good to miss, and with it she strokes one of his feathers with a small smile.

But at the comment, he offers her a sad smile and snugs his fingers around her. “[say]There’s nothing I can do other than let her see I’m not the same as I was. And who knows? Her brother could show up one day. Or won’t. She’s moved on from it I think, but it’s got to be hard to be a twin and lose your other half.[/say]” She murmurs before shaking her head. “[say]But that’s the past. Can’t do anything about it now other than go forward.[/say]” She gives him a brighter smile than the one he’d given her.

RE: quarter past midnight - Remi - 10-15-2019

"No kidding." He says with a wheeze, before realizing that it might have sounded more unkind than he meant it. Shaking his head apologetically, the alchemist then frowned. "I...wonder if we are all actually out there, somewhere." He murmured, brows furrowing.

Snorting and nudging her affectionately with the feather her fingers were on, the alchemist shakes his head. He always had been a sucker for puns and silly metaphors, all the moreso from his friends. She reassures him that all is well enough, and he realizes still that he's being selfish. "If there is anything I can ever do, let me know. Though I suppose you are in a better position than I to find out if the Voice knows anything about your son. I wonder if she takes requests." He asks with a light laugh, not thinking about it too carefully. There isn't anyone from his world that he'd want to see again after all. For better or worse, they'd all come over with him.

RE: quarter past midnight - Rexanna - 10-15-2019

She wonders if that other version of so many people she knew in that other life are out there. She knows that Calstron is there somewhere still, hidden away hopefully back in Asciend, still on an aimless hunt for her head on a spike. But regardless, she shakes her head to him with amusement as he nudges the feather toward her.

“[say]I will.[/say]” She assures him, nudging herself into his embrace a bit more. “[say]Ah, wouldn’t that be something.[/say]” She snorts, shaking her head. “[say]But no, seems unlikely. When I Ascended, she had me give up everything that I came here with… Being the queen to a destroyed country. She brought me there, I think. To go through all the things I endured and ensure that it was something I wanted to do.[/say]” She says consideringly. “[say]I know people are not fans of her for the things that have happened… But ensuring that I had a choice throughout it all meant everything to me.[/say]” And it did, because in her life up until Caido, she had survived on instinct, never on what she wanted.

RE: quarter past midnight - Remi - 10-16-2019

For all that has happened with Ronin and the blight, Remi had kept a fairly open mind when it came to the ascended. Perhaps it was because of how close he was to a great many of them that he simply couldn't see them as monsters that they were so easily painted as. "Had she not brought me here, I would be living in a world where being gay was punishable by death, in a one-room house with no bed and a door that did not lock." He said with a light shrug. Whatever he might have thought of the Voice, whatever horrors Caido had inflicted upon him, his life here was better. He had Ronin and Aoife, if nothing else.

"So then, former queen, a daughter and a son, not-dead, but Deimos was...anything else I should know?" He asked with a gentle nudge, his wings fanning slightly before form-fitting back around her.

RE: quarter past midnight - Rexanna - 10-16-2019

At his admission, she pulls him tighter. She’d be in a similar boat, she imagines. And she finds that she’s thankful for the Voice for a great many things. But to be punished for something you had no control over? It was something that hit her deep, that she understood what it was like. “[say]I’m glad you’re here.[/say]” She says lightly, meaning every single word of it.

But he lists off all the things he now knows, and when he asks if there’s anything else that he should know, she thinks on it for a moment. Only Phoebe and Bastien knew, so far, and she figures that perhaps now that she certainly can’t birth children, perhaps that’s another thing he should know too. “[say]Well, in this version of me, when I was in Asciend with my ex-husband trying to make things work, I got pregnant.[/say]” She pauses, thinking about it. “[say]But then my true heritage came out and I was punished for it, put in the dungeons. He thought perhaps I was faking it to try and get the punishment less. But, in the end, I did give birth.[/say]” She pauses, pulling him a bit tighter and closing her eyes, resting her head somewhere close to his. “[say]Except he was stillborn, so. That’s part of the reason Asciend hates me even more, suggested I killed my own son to get back at them.[/say]” Because it was absolutely barbaric, in the end. To think she could be capable of such a thing.

"You too." He agrees, selfish once again, for it means that she is without one of her children. Loren is proving himself more right about Remi by the day. But the alchemist isn't thinking about that now as he pulls Rex closer, far too happy to have had the opportunity to meet the Penumbra than to dwell on all that has transpired to get them to this moment.

Pulling back if only to listen, Remi cocked his head to the side as he fell silent. However quickly horror spread across his face. Never did he think Rex capable of something like that, not on her absolute darkest days, not even transformed as she was now into an ascended. "Gods." Remi breathed after a moment, wings tightening as he enveloped the Penumbra with his arms as well as plumage. "I..." Speechless, was what he was. Jaw tightening as he shook his head against her, the alchemist grumbled an unhappy note low in the back of his throat that threatened to become a growl.

She expects the news to surprise him, it’s also why she’s kept it a secret for the most part. But she doesn’t expect it to anger him as much as it does – and she lets him pull her close, wings tightening as he holds her close and she nuzzles her head against his. “[say]I haven’t told many about it. But Bastien made him a lantern last Festival of Lights for me and for him.[/say]” She says lightly, calmly, because it had happened years ago and she has learned to deal with it all. She doesn’t feel guilty, not anymore. Had things been different, likely the child would have lived, but that was neither here nor there. “[say]I put it in the Artist’s Sanctuary, after.[/say]” There’s a hint of happiness that lingers in her voice at it, before it turns slightly sour again. “[say]It’s also part of the reason I broke free from Zariah. Because she wanted to force me to marry and have Abandoned children, and I just… After all of that? I didn’t want to deal with that again.[/say]” And so she had chosen a path of no children, however difficult it was for her.

"That is lovely...I will be sure to look for it next time I am at the sanctuary." He mumbles, but his teeth are clenched far too tightly for the words to come out as softly as he means them to. Remi has never been particularly good with anger. For a long, long time it simply wasn't the sort of emotion that he felt often. Now in Caido he did feel it, uncomfortably and in waves. It brought out a predatory side of himself that he was only beginning to cope with, and without realizing it, tawny bits of mane scattered down his neck as his fingernails stretched into long and serrated claws.

"Zariah did what?" Oh, he shouldn't have been surprised, given everything he knew of the Launceleyns, but gods, was there no limit to the absurd things that family would do? Even now, here, in this world so absolutely different from the one they had come from?

She nods to him, despite the clenching of his teeth. Hands brush by the tawny mane that appear along his nape, and she strokes it gently, calmly, until she pauses when he asks what Zariah did. He didn’t know? It’s her turn to be a bit surprised, and she bites down on her lower lip as she thinks back to what felt like a lifetime ago, already. “[say]Well, when she enacted the army, Bastien went to the prison for refusing to sign.[/say]” She says with a light sigh. “[say]And I went to Zariah to bargain for his freedom, and she in turn had me work for her.[/say]” There’s a light pause, wondering if he recalls the meeting Zariah hosted, which side of the grouping she had stood on.

“[say]Anyway, one day she calls me to the Manor and I obliged. At first she suggested that I marry Peter. I told her no.[/say]” Another brief pause while her fingers continue to stroke the mane that has appeared. “[say]And I’m sure you can guess how well she took that. So she told me that it wasn’t a request, that I would marry Peter the next day, and locked me in one of the Manor’s bedrooms.[/say]” She adjusts herself a bit to get a better look at the Alchemist. “[say]So I broke out through the bathroom that night, using my fireworks, went and got Bastien… And that night I Ascended. And Zariah vanished not soon after.[/say]”

"I...remember it seeming like you agreed with her at the meeting. And Bastien being in jail, of course." He says with a nod, trying desperately to remember. Memory has never been his strong suit, but this seems like an important bit of narrative that he really ought to know that odd probably has stupidly forgotten. Beneath her fingers bits of mane disappear as her fingers soothe them away as if they were raised hackles.

However as she continues the tale his eyes indeed grow wide. Peter? Peter? "What would that marriage even accomplish? In Northaven it was always to..bring the houses together and strengthen the Launceleyn's hold of everything. But here?" It's truly unbelievable. "So ascending...was that so Zariah would not want you?"