Court of the Fallen
scar tissue - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: scar tissue (/showthread.php?tid=1955)

Pages: 1 2

scar tissue - Loren - 10-17-2019

Even Loren could only remain vigilant for so long. After spending the morning—or what he assumed was the morning, given how impossible it was to tell time accurately during LongNight—in the Rathskellar, pretending that guarding the door would do something, he’d finally been driven out by hunger pangs. He wandered out into the main part of the Temple, and grabbed some food. Scarfing it down quickly, he’d done a quick circuit of the area, just to confirm that all was well. Astra was at his side, of course; while she didn’t love being cooped up any more than he did, she trotted contentedly along, munching on the oats he’d gotten for her.

Then, he realized how much he needed to stretch his legs, and decided to do a much needed and much longer lap of the entire Temple. While it was probably too late to do any additional fortifying, he could at least check that the work they had done was holding up. Having already seen the main part of the Temple and the Rathskellar, he started by poking his head into the Infirmary. Unsurprisingly, all was well.

So he moved on to the covered path connecting to the Medical College. He hadn’t actually overseen the set-up of this part of the defenses—no that honor had gone to Phoebe and Remi, since the alchemist and the summoner hadn’t been speaking at the time—so it was past time he took a closer look at them. Emerging into the college proper, he started inspecting the bookshelves that had been placed in front of the windows. They seemed sturdy enough, so he continued down the row until he came to a door that used to lead to a courtyard. It seemed sealed shut, but he double checked, pressing against it with his paltry physical strength.

RE: scar tissue - Phoebe - 10-17-2019

Upon entering the Medical College, Loren would find it locked down tight. Atop the hard floors were layers of straw and blankets, deadening the sound of footsteps on the hard stone floors. Even though the windows were fully covered and locked tight, all candles for light were kept near the center of the rooms, nearly no illumination reaching the outerwalls. Stacks of food, medical supplies, clothes, blankets and pillows, and things for quiet activities lined the walls, open for any who needed them.

In the low light, it was easy to miss people, but Phoebe was keeping an eye on the door while Pim supervised a quiet game of rock, paper, scissors with the boys. She saw Loren enter with Astra, and watched as he walked through the main hall into the lecture hall. She followed silently, watching as he examined the bookshelves and the door that was solidly sealed shut. Hopefully the Luxere that she sang and left hay for were gathered just beyond. [say]"Restless already, Loren?"[/say] she said softly, hands clasped in front of her, a small smile on her lips.

RE: scar tissue - Loren - 10-17-2019

The Medical College was locked down tight. Indeed, if anything, it was more secure than the Temple itself. Still, the place was empty, and it certainly had a deserted feel to it. Maybe it would make sense to migrate a few folks over here, so they’d feel less cramped. He’d mention it to anyone he happened to run across.

Or who happened to run across him: Phoebe’s familiar voice spoke up behind him, and he turned, clasping his hands behind his back. Astra immediately went over to the midwife, eyes begging for a head rub or a scratch behind the ears. For his part, he just nodded a greeting at the healer. [say]”Just making sure everything’s in order before folks get stir crazy.”[/say] He had no doubt there’d be more than a few escape attempts, and he wanted to make sure they were foiled before they even began.

Phoebe smiled warmly at Astra as she approached. She scratched her head and around the base of her horns - something she was quite adept at thanks to Pim. [say]"Well hello there, Astra. I'm sure you're about as happy as Pim is being locked up in here, huh?"[/say] she softly to the miniature Luxere.

But her gaze was drawn back up as the summoner spoke, and she smiled a little at him. [say]"I did everything I could to secure this place. The last thing I want is a repeat of last year."[/say] she said softly.

Astra, obviously, was always happy to accept physical affection from someone with a good heart. Indeed, she let out a contented bleat as Phoebe found great spots at the base of the luxere’s horns. Loren smiled a bit at the sight, more than happy to let his companion get all the attention he knew she deserved. [say]”I don’t think the novelty has worn off yet. Plus, lots of scratches.”[/say] Still, the Launceleyn figured even Astra would get bored of that eventually. His smile faltered at the midwife’s next statement. [say]”I know. You did a great job.”[/say] Better than the summoner had, probably, and he wasn’t ashamed to think or admit it.

[say]”I am sure she is much more patient than Pim is too.”[/say] Phoebe said with a soft smile at him, continuing to pet Astra’s head absentmindedly. It gave her hands something to do, which help distract from the anxiousness the time of year brought her. [say]”Thank you.”[/say] she said quietly to his praise, looking around the battened down lecture hall. Loren might notice that the midwife, who was usually bright and full of warmth, was almost distant, as if not fully immersed in the reality of the moment. And really, she wasn’t. Her mind kept going back to the previous LongNight. To the Palmers. To Emmett.

She sighed and shook her head, smiling at Astra again.

[say]”Why don’t you sit for a bit? It would be nice to have some adult company for awhile.”[/say] she said, looking up at him with a small grin.

[say]”As long as I feed her and make sure she gets her daily allotment of head rubs, she’s precious.”[/say] And as long as Loren wasn’t acting like a raging lunatic, of course, which was basically a toss up at this point. He’d long ago reached the end of his rope and let go, and was now wildly plunging towards what he hoped was a soft landing. Sadly, he was pretty certain it was just a bunch more hard knocks.

Unfortunately, he was too wrapped up in his own doubts to notice anything off with Phoebe. Besides, they still barely knew each other, and had gone through such ups and downs—between her blight and his rage—that he wasn’t sure what was normal or abnormal for her, what was her baseline and her default. When she asked him to sit, though, he shook his head. [say]”I’ve been sitting all day. In fact, I was also using this as an opportunity to stretch my legs.”[/say]

At the mention of adult company, the Launceleyn gave her a careful look. [say]”How are the boys?”[/say] Hopefully well behaved: Wessex hadn’t made any noises about the children being here, but honest the summoner wasn’t sure the queen had even noticed yet. Maybe it was best if they tried to keep it that way.

The midwife smiled a little as he described what Astra needed to remain content. [say]”Who would have thought that dragons and Luxere had so much in common.”[/say] she said softly. She managed a small smile though as he continued. [say]”Sitting all day, wondering if you have done enough to secure the Temple, no doubt?”[/say] she said. Loren was always busy with something it seemed. But with LongNight under way, it was hard to stay that way. [say]”Well, the College is quite large. Why don’t I take you on a walk around?”[/say] she offered. The College had two floors after all, so there was plenty of space to roam.

[say]”The boys are fine, but it is still early in the week.’[/say] she said with a bit of a shrug. [say]’But they remember last year, so they know what to and not to do.”[/say]

Actually, Loren would’ve thought dragons and luxere had a lot in common; although they were predator and prey respectively, and their companions were more intelligent than most, they were still animals, and had similarly basic wants and needs. Still, it didn’t seem wise to admit that to Phoebe. Instead, he just responded to her quip about his tendency to lose himself in his work. [say]”Watching the door to the Rathskellar, actually.”[/say] She might’ve been trying to joke, but his tone was quiet and serious. If anyone could find tasks that weren’t strictly necessary, it was the Launceleyn.

As she offered him a tour, he nodded. It would be useful to see that everything was locked up tight. Besides, he was nominally a student—though he could heal almost everything at this point with his magic, so that felt a little silly—and didn’t know nearly as much about the College as he should. When the healer informed him that her nephews were doing fine, the summoner smiled briefly. [say]”I’m glad to hear it.”[/say] He tried not to let his mind linger too long on her comment about it being early in the week.

[say]”Just…watching it?”[/say] she said with a little smirk. [say]”Must be a very interesting door.”[/say] she added teasingly. But Phoebe fell silent for a moment as they walked, making sure to take the longest route possible through all of the rooms, keeping the pace slow and leisurely. [say]”You know, I have something that might help you relax a bit. You should take some while you are here so you don’t exhaust yourself with anxiousness.”[/say] she said softly, not really asking if he wanted any, more stating that he needed it really.

As for the triplets, well they would pass them on their way to the staircase. The three glanced up from their game and waved at Loren, making not a single peep. They had a rather strict no talking rule because whispering led to inside voices which led to outside voices which led to a level of raucousness surely even the gods could hear.

Well, no, Loren hadn’t just been watching the door, even if it was one of the most interesting doors he’d seen, what with the heartbeat panel and all. However, he gave Phoebe a slightly embarrassed and chagrined look; a flush came to his cheeks as well, though since he was walking between her and the wall, it was unnoticeable in the dim light. [say]”Yes. And it was. Though I had some company too.”[/say]

As she brought up his anxiety, he gave her another wry look. [say]”That obvious, huh?”[/say] Sighing, he stared ahead for a moment. [say]”What is it? Any side effects?”[/say] He didn’t want to take anything that would dull his senses or his mind. As they passed the triplets, Loren returned their wave and grinned briefly; Astra, for her part, trotted over to the boys, trying to see if she could get more pats from them. The Launceleyn just shook his head and chuckled at the sight.

Phoebe laughed lightly at his jest, glad he was at least able to play along with the joke, if only just. [say]”I will have to make a point of looking at it next time I am there.”[/say] she said with a small smile at him. At the mention of company though, she perked up. She had hurried the boys off to the College so quickly she hadn’t really seen who all had come and how many there were. [say]”Have a lot of people come to stay at the Temple?”[/say] she asked curiously.

[say]”I spent my childhood learning to how to spot emotional discomfort in its varied manifestations as part of my duty as midwife. So…yes. Obvious to me, anyways.”[/say] she said with a small smile. [say]”It might make you a little sleepy, but that would probably do you some good too. It’s a soothing tea I always have on hand that I make from a variety of medicinal herbs and plant extracts. Mostly Valerian root, cannabis oil, chamomile, hops oil, lemon balm, and St. John’s wort.”[/say] she said, listing off the ingredients. As for Astra, she would be very pleased by her reception, the three boys crowding around to give her pets and feed her crackers.

Phoebe’s laughter drew a brief smile from Loren. Apparently, she thought he was funny now. When she asked about who was staying at the Temple, though, he gave her a considering look as he ran through everyone he’d seen. [say]”I don’t know how many you consider a lot, but space is certainly limited. I was just thinking that we might want to relocate some of them to the College. With your permission, of course.”[/say] Actually, he probably could just do it anyway, but avoiding fights during LongNight seemed wise.

Again, she brought up how a midwife made her particularly sensitive to emotions. Seeing as he’d gotten his empathy from needing to know when he was about to be tortured, he wasn’t all that happy with the comparison. Nor was he happy with her description of the tea. In fact, he shook his head at her immediately. [say]”I need to stay alert.”[/say] Plus, he didn’t know half the ingredients she listed, and that many herbs all together couldn’t possibly have just one side effect. Astra, at least, was happily ensconced with the triplets for now.

Phoebe nodded immediately at his suggestion. [say]”There is more than enough space here, and people can stay in the infirmary as well. There are just certain areas I would like to keep clear in case we have patients.”[/say] she said. It really wasn’t a question. The College had opened its doors to those staying at the Temple. If people needed to come there just to make the space less congested, that was fine by her.

When he rejected the tea though, she frowned. [say]”You will be plenty alert.”[/say] she said. Seriously, what was with these men questioning her medicines that had been refined over decades by midwives before her? First Jata, and now Loren? Ugh. [say]”It simply soothes the mind so you can think clearly, one thought at a time, rather than a million things running through you head at once. It makes your emotions manageable.”[/say] she said and shrugged as she began to lead him upstairs.