Court of the Fallen
Through Cartilage and Fluid - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Through Cartilage and Fluid (/showthread.php?tid=2036)

Pages: 1 2

Through Cartilage and Fluid - Peter - 10-28-2019

The temple was not where Peter had expected to end up, but they hadn’t really had a choice. There had been barely a moment to breathe after they’d arrived, but he couldn’t relax, not with all these people, in this vastly new place. There had been some people he’d recognized, enough to put him more at ease, though he still didn’t know the layout of the temple, and everything attached to it. With Apricum at his heels, he wandered around, getting himself familiar with the temple, it’s nooks and crannies.

Peter found himself in the infirmary, the room cool and quieter than the now overcrowded temple. He sighed, walking through the room and looking around when he noticed a familiar figure laying on a bed. Rexanna? He’d heard she had made her way to the guild, hurt, and it made sense to see her here, but there was still a twist in his chest when he saw her.

Soft feet made their way to her bedside, the clicking of hoofs at his heels. [say]”Rexanna?”[/say] He asked softly, reaching out to touch her hand so it was clear where he was.

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Rexanna - 10-29-2019

There’s been an incredible influx of people to the Temple, and many of the rooms had already been taken. And while she could have remained in where Bastien had been staying, she’s chosen to get just a bit more quiet – the infirmary, if only for a time to get her bearings, to figure out what to do from here, to be out of the way since she obviously can’t do anything on her own anymore. Perhaps she’s a bit upset by this, but… Well, that was in the past.

Footsteps pass and she can hear the scuffling here and there, focusing on it like how she used to count sheep to fall asleep, when in reality all she does is scan over and over and over again.

But the footsteps approach closer, and she grows more alert, head tilting slightly on the pillow toward the sound, before she can hear the clicking of hooves. Has Deimos already come to check on her? When he likely has better things to do? But no – the voice that reaches her, that says her name, suddenly makes her feel so much better. Peter. He reaches out to touch her hand, and she does her best to squeeze, but her bones don’t quite work well enough with the splint – and so all she can offer is a tired smile his way.

“[say]Peter?[/say]” She greets quietly, smile faltering slightly. “[say]Are you alright?[/say]” She asks quietly, knowing that he’s here and not left behind in the crumbled Monster Hunter’s Guild. But that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s fine, that he’s okay, and she hopes that regardless of what happened that he’d remained safe. She slides over on the bed a bit, to make room for him should he choose to sit – eyes covered by the dark navy bandana in replacement of her eyes, but her head tilts toward him awaiting a response.

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Peter - 10-29-2019

There is a smile sent his way, and though Peter knows Rexanna can’t see him, he offers a watery one back, his fingers tapping gently on her hand, a beat of reassurance. [say]”I... I am, yes, I’m alright,”[/say] He swallows, and sits in the slim space she’s provided, though he is careful to not take up too much of her room, to not press on her at all. The last thing he wants to do is somehow exacerbate her injuries. [say]”I think I... I’m supposed to ask... to ask you the same, but...”[/say] Well, it’s obvious she isn’t, isn’t it?

[say]”Do... do you need anything?”[/say] Peter asks instead, looking over the bandages covering his friend. He wasn’t sure there was much he could do, other than be close, offer company, a voice in what must be a more terrifying darkness than anything he’s experienced.

Peter wishes, now more than he ever has, that he could do more. That he could let himself do more, offer a hug, a soothing touch. [say]”Do... do you...”[/say] The stumbling words trail off, and Peters hand pulls away from Rex’s, his fingers instead brushing up her arm, if only so his touch is expected, his intentions are clear. His hand stops on her shoulder, and he swallows, speaking again: [say]”I can stay, um... as long as you want.”[/say]

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Rexanna - 10-29-2019

Peter taps his fingers along her hand and she listens diligently while he tells her that he is okay. They had all made it out of the Guildhall before it burned, but it didn’t mean that he was okay. After all, she wasn’t exactly okay, but she is still alive. And that’s a huge difference. She’s begun to come to terms with it, though, dealing with it the best she can.

Her smile grows a small amount wider at his comment, before her shoulders rise and fall in a light shrug, adjusting to sit up with her back against the back of the bed. “[say]I’m alive.[/say]” She replies. She won’t be okay until she sees the Voice again. But that’s neither here nor there.

At the mention of whether she needs anything, her head tilts as though she’s thinking, before she nods. “[say]Some company would be nice.[/say]” She suggests, deciding that there’s really nothing anyone can do. They’ve all already done it.

But if he wants to hug her, she absolutely won’t complain.

His hand trails up her arm to her shoulder and she follows it through her senses, through the feeling that has grown a small amount stronger with the loss of her eyesight, and she nods to him once more after he tells her that he’ll stay as long as she likes. “[say]I don’t want to keep you forever, but maybe now we could continue our conversation?[/say]” About Adam and what his life was like now with Loren back.

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Peter - 10-29-2019

[say]”Alive is... it’s sometimes the only thing. It’s okay.”[/say] Peter knew, as the words left his mouth, that they were not quite right, not quite the message he wanted to get across. Something about surviving, just so you could make it through and be okay later, even if that still suggested a sentiment he wasn’t sure he even believed in. Though, how could he not, looking around at his life now?

Peter shrugs, knowing Rexanna can’t see his uncertainty, and shifts with her, sitting shoulder to shoulder in the bed. [say]”I will be company then.”[/say] He promises softly, knowing he would have done much more, of she’d asked, and privately, secretly glad that she didn’t. (Though that wasn’t quite right either, it was relief that just him, just his presence was enough.)

Dark curls brushed against her shoulder as Peter tipped his head, trying to remember the details of their last meeting, that aborted conversation, and then a soft oh left him as he remembered and his cheeks heated up. [say]”About Adam?”[/say] He confirmed shyly, though there had been more to the night, that was the big thing. [say]”I... I don’t uh, really remember what... what I was saying... about him, but... yes, I can talk about him.”[/say]

It’s clear though, from his silence, the way his hands twist together in knots, that he’s not sure where to start, embarrassed by that fact and by the subject all at once. [say]”I-I um... I’ve never had uh, some... someone like him, or... someone to talk to... about this, uh... this stuff.”[/say]

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Rexanna - 10-30-2019

Peter’s knack for not quite saying the right words, but Rexanna still managing to understand the underlying meaning, was something she appreciated more than he knew. She understood what he was getting at, and smiles in response to it. Because it’s true, they were survivors. And while she knew absolutely nothing, really, about Peter, she could at least gather that from their interactions – from his attempt and need for validation that she too needed.

He sits beside her, shoulder to shoulder, and she tilts her head to face him as though she can see him – trying as much as she can to appear as normal as she can. “[say]You are great company.[/say]” She compliments with another smile, knowing that at this moment she’s not sure anyone else could be better. Too much sadness, too many ‘are you okays’, too many of everything she doesn’t want to hear. She wants something to keep her mind off of it, not to continue through it.

The mention of Adam though, causes a light snort and she listens while he explains he doesn’t know where he really left off, and a somewhat contemplative look crosses her face. “[say]That he makes you happy.[/say]” She says in case it helps. That’s all she wants for him – to be happy, safe, protected. She thinks he deserves it, especially after what they’ve been through. “[say]We can start off easy. How did you two meet?[/say]” After all, this is what friends talked about. And it was absolutely a start.

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Peter - 10-31-2019

Its all Peter can do to not shake his head in response to Rexannas compliment, the ease with which it was given making him flush, embarrassed. It was nice, to be considered good company. Great Company. More than anything he’d ever thought he’d have. [say]”I-I... you are too.”[/say] He nods, knowing it won’t hide the crack in his voice, the strain of emotion that he has no idea how to handle.

It’s easier, kind of, to focus on Adam, on sharing that little bit. Even if it still embarrassed him. [say]”He makes me happy.”[/say] He repeats, smiling now, the curve of it clear in the words. [say]”We... we met just after I uh... showed up?”[/say] His fingers moved, untwisting and scrabbling up his one arm. [say]”Not... right after, but... a few days. I... I-I still kinda thought I was dead.”[/say] That was kind of strange to admit, so far after the fact. [say]”He uh... got me a drink. Told me... things would be okay?”[/say] Not that it had been even close to believable, coming from a raccoon eyed and defensive drunk, but... look at him now.

Peter turns, meaning to meet Rexannas eyes, and speak softly, remembering (too late) oh that’s not possible anymore. He stiffens, for a moment, wondering if it’s weird, if he’s making it weird. After a moment of silence, of working it out, he speaks again, moving past it. [say]”People... no one ever... said that before. To me.”[/say]

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Rexanna - 10-31-2019

She gives him a smile when he tells her that she’s good company too, and she nods slowly to that. She’s always tried to be, tried to be there for her friends and those she cares about. And Peter? He’s always been roped into that mix – the second he had made her that little bracelet that’s sitting in the Artists Sanctuary at the moment, settled beside the rest of her jewels and precious pieces.

But all she wants is for him to be happy, and at his confirmation, she smiles a bright fanged smile to him. “[say]I’m glad.[/say]” She replies easily, listening to how they met and letting herself get lost in the small picture that he paints for her. How he had thought he was dead, and she smiles at that softly. She had thought she was in a dream, drugged, something other than being here. But if it was a dream? It was perhaps one of the best ones she’s had. Elaborate, and beautiful, despite the dark nightmarish times.

“[say]That’s so sweet.[/say]” She murmurs quietly, thinking about it. Such a little phrase could have so much impact, so much for someone who doesn’t know if things ever will be okay. But she’s glad he had Adam for that. She can feel him stiffen for a moment beside her, but she doesn’t comment on it, instead she focuses the best she can on the location he’s in before her smile falters when she hears that nobody has told him that before.

More people should, she thinks. “[say]He sounds great, really. And things are okay now, right? You’ve met Loren?[/say]” She asks quietly, recalling the first time she’d met the summoner and had mentioned Peter’s name along once the rest of the Launceleyns had vanished or died.

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Peter - 11-01-2019

It’s strange, how looking at a memory through the lens of time can change it, make it more appreciated. At the time, Peter had been scared, and angry, and unwilling to relax. The very first thing he’d tried to do was push Adam away. But now, he finds it hard to disagree with Rexannas words. [say]”I... wasn’t, um... wasn’t nice. To him. I didn’t think I’d... talk to him again. Or, I guess, that he’d talk to me.”[/say] He laughs, a little softly, a little afraid, as the thought of what if he hadn’t? crosses his mind. [say]”I’m glad he did. And he... he’d like that you... that you think he sounds great.”[/say] Peter huffs out another small laugh, this one lighter than its predecessor.

Her other questions prompt a bit more thought, though Peter isn’t quiet for long, knowing sound is currently all Rexanna has. [say]”Things are... okay.”[/say] He offers hesitantly, before repeating it, more confidently. [say]”Things are okay. In... in lots of ways.”[/say] There was Adam, his new companion, the looming promise of a new year, with whatever might come with it. And... [say]”Yes, I met Loren. We... fought, but just... pretend fought? And then talked. He’s...”[/say] Gods, a lot of things, more than Peter can sum up with mere words. If they would do anything, he’d gesture, try and get his ideas across with his hands, but that’s not an option he has.

[say]”I want... I want to help him.”[/say] It seemed anticlimactic to settle on just that, but it was all he could manage. And it wasn’t untrue. It was still partially the urge to prove himself, to earn his place, but more than that too. They were similar, related emotionally if not truly by blood. [say]”I don’t um... really know if he’s... if I... trust him?”[/say] He sounds just as guilty as he feels admitting that, and shrinks away from Rexanna, as if he’s afraid of her judgement, her reaction, as much as he is ashamed of himself.

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Rexanna - 11-01-2019

Peter tells her that he wasn’t nice to Adam, and she nods along in understanding. When she arrived she was certain someone was bound to capture her immediately — but they hadn’t, and it had certainly taken some time to get used to all of it. Eventually she had, and it seemed Peter had too. In the end that's all they can really do, right? She leans toward him briefly in comfort, offering a soft smile. “[say]Oh, he would?[/say]” She asks with a hint of surprise at the mention that Adam would appreciate that Rexanna thinks he sounds great.

There’s a small chime of laughter that leaves her at the image in her mind. “[say]Why is it that I’m imagining a bird puffing out its feathers?[/say]” She teases him lightly, referring to a bird preening under attention. She’s got no room to judge in the slightest, because she’s absolutely done the same.

When he tells her things are okay, her smile softens as she nods and listens along, until he confirms that he’s met Loren, that they’ve sparred, and her head tilts lightly at the mention he doesn’t think to trust him much. She can’t blame Peter, really, after everything he’s been through — after everything they both have been through. And so she nods her head in agreement.

“[say]You’ve both been through a lot. He is my friend now, but I have seen the shifts in his moods.[/say]” She offers with a shrug, reaching out in an attempt to rest her splinted hand on Peter’s, uncertain where it is. “[say]Just keep doing what you’re and he’ll figure himself out.[/say]” A cheery bit of optimism, and yet she’s always been this way. Unable or unwilling to see the bad in people, trying to understand both sides the best she can.

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Peter - 11-03-2019

[say]”He would!”[/say] It’s unclear what’s exactly has changed, whether it’s the subject, the fact that he’s not talking about himself, or simply Rexannas interest in what he’s saying, but Peters voice is a little stronger, his words relaxing a little more. [say]”He’s... loud, and pretty, but... not like you? You’re...”[/say] Peter hums and cocks his head back and forth, thinking of a way to explain it. [say]”You’re slick. Like light tubes and stars. But Adam is... like fireworks. Loud and bright.”[/say] It’s more descriptive than he usually gets, even if his explanation isn’t exactly sensible. It’s about the feelings though, not necessarily what the words actually mean.

Peter is quiet while he thinks over Rexannas words, putting them together with his impression of Loren and nodding. [say]”I think he... we, uh, have a lot of the same... close to the same... history. Kind of.”[/say] He starts when a hand comes down near his wrist, not expecting it, but he relaxes almost immediately, realizing what she’s doing. As gently as he can, Peter slips his hand in around hers, thin scarred fingers wrapping around her palm, tapping a nonsense beat where they rested. [say]”I think it’s... it’s different, so I don’t... I don’t understand the parts that are different.”[/say] It wasn’t necessarily Loren’s fault, just his own quirk. Peter hums again, thinking, then shrugs. [say]”I did... I did say, uh... tell him that I want... that I wanted to help him.”[/say]

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Rexanna - 11-04-2019

The strength of his voice when he speaks of Adam brings a bright smile to Rexanna’s face, appreciating the enthusiasm, the confidence that comes with the conversation about the other man. But he mentions that he’s loud and pretty, like her, her smile grows a bit more sweet, more touched, and she aims to bump her shoulder into his gently. “[say]That’s one of the nicest compliments I’ve ever gotten.[/say]” She offers him, a bright smile sent his way. “[say]Thank you.[/say]”

At the mention of fireworks though, her interest peaks. “[say]I hope I get something where I can see again, just so I can meet him.[/say]” She says offhandedly, hoping deep down she can. Even if she doesn’t get her eyes, she’d still like to meet him. After all, she’s far more attuned to sounds and smells now, despite her nose being broken.

With the mention of a similar history, she nods in understanding. “[say]That makes sense.[/say]” She says lightly, giving his hand a small squeeze (as much as a broken wrist will allow) before her head tilts. “[say]His history is fairly complicated… After dealing with Zariah the way I did, well, it’s a breath of fresh air for me having Loren be a friend instead of a conqueror.[/say]” She says thoughtfully, shrugging lightly. “[say]What did he say when you offered your help?[/say]” Because she, too, had offered it and he had pushed her away at first.

But then she had seemed to insist it, and now here they were – friends.

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Peter - 11-04-2019

The smile on Rexanna's face is matched by an equally bright one on Peter's face as he turned towards her, the cusp of a laugh in his voice when he spoke. [say]"I-I wasn't compli-"[/say] No, that wasn't quite the right wording. [say]"I was just... telling the truth. I'm um... glad it was nice though."[/say] He bumped back against her, gently, still smiling.

His smile fades somewhat when she mentions her sight, her eyes, and his gaze moves over the fabric that covers the upper half of her face. [say]"I hope you do too."[/say] He offers simply, his finger tapping on her knuckle. [say]"Do... do you think you...? I-I mean, you can still um... still meet him no matter what, even if..."[/say] you don't get better. It's not a phrase he wants to speak out loud, as if just saying it will make it so. Peter wants to offer her luck, not accidental curses, no matter how well meaning.

[say]"I don't know... I never had um, family, or, anything like that. Just... people, and I listened, and things were... better than they might have been. But... I think it's different, what he did. Had? Um... went through."[/say] Peter squeezed her hand back, careful to not disturb her wrist. [say]"He uh... he said we can work... make things better together. And... I want to try."[/say] A weak laugh huffed out of him then, a far cry from his prior noise. [say]"He said I um... I didn't have to be, uh, in the family anymore. If I didn't want."[/say]

RE: Through Cartilage and Fluid - Rexanna - 11-05-2019

She can hear the humor in his voice and she mirrors it with a quiet simmer of bubbly laughter of her own. “[say]It’s a very nice truth, then.[/say]” She says, grinning to him as he bumps back into her own shoulder. She adores Peter as he is, but the moment he starts to get far more animated, the confidence that shrouds his voice, she wishes to see more of that side of him. Boyish, charming, sweet, caring. She hopes that it gets easier for him to be like that, as well.

At the mention of Adam and her sight, however, she nods, her smile still remaining bright and soft and gentle. “[say]I’d love that.[/say]” She says quietly, thoughtfully, before tilting her head as she leans back to look at the ceiling through her blindfolded gaze. Even if she didn’t get her eyesight back, there wasn’t a chance she’d miss out on meeting this man that’s made Peter so happy.

But the conversation shifts toward Loren, and her head tilts slightly to look in his direction as he explains. “[say]I think… he might have gone through similar things I did.[/say]” She frowns lightly at the thought. “[say]He’s offered to get rid of my brand. He’s thoughtful that way.[/say]” She shrugs her shoulders gently. At the mention that he offered to help work with Peter to make things better, she nods. She thinks it’s a good idea. A fresh start, a new idea for the Lanceleyn name.

He surprises her, next, with mentioning that he didn’t have to be in the family if he didn’t want to – an offer that she had tried to give him once too, and curiously she mulls over the statement before raising an eyebrow curiously. “[say]What did you say to that?[/say]”