Court of the Fallen
on the daily activities of the folk - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: on the daily activities of the folk (/showthread.php?tid=2112)

Pages: 1 2

on the daily activities of the folk - Oia'i'o - 11-05-2019

[say]"How much of a role do you think frivolity and enjoyment contributes to the success of this ecosystem?"[/say] You wonder, your long strides out-pacing Kai's. As you wander through the streets (Kai's hand in yours, because every door-slam makes you jump at the in-organic timbre of it), you look at shop after shop after shop, and only about a third of them seem dedicated to necessary tasks. The others seem entirely superfluous.

[say]"This, for example."[/say] You say halting before the artist's guild. [say]"Artist's Guild."[/say] You read, your lips flinching in an ever so slight frown. [say]"Is it the social aspect that's important? Is the illusion of control they get form creating their own grouping?"[/say]

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Kaimana - 11-05-2019

[say]"Every kinda animal benefits from social structures,"[/say] you reply easily, eyes wide as you take in every aspect of the town. It is a good thing Oia is holding your hand: you would have a difficult time keeping from getting distracted otherwise, your shorter legs and wandering attention quickly stealing you from her side. [say]"Even solitary ones have communication systems an' interactions. Humans are herd animals, so havin' a herd prob'ly helps keep the group functionin' better."[/say]

You almost walk into her as she stops in front of a shop, only just pausing before the moment of impact. Turning to look up at the sign, you tilt your head curiously. The sub-groupings within the primary group are interesting. [say]"Well if it's artists then they make art and pretty things, which makes people happy, which is healthy for the herd, maybe?"[/say] Makes sense to you. Pretty things certainly make you happy enough, though you prefer the ones found naturally occurring, like rocks and flowers and interesting patches of mud.

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Bastien - 11-05-2019

Leaving the door open while he worked was Bastien's way of connecting with the people as they walked about their days, catching scraps of conversation and welcoming the occasional visitor into the Sanctuary. He had heard all sorts of things from around the corner of the front door - arguments, proposals, secrets. All of them had made it into a diary, a piece of writing or a painting.

His brush stopped mid-stroke as he heard what the voice outside this day had to say. These were the kind of questions he liked, open-ended ones about the whys of art. Within seconds he had put his brush down and was walking to the door, eager to talk to these curious philosophers outside his door.

Appearing in the shadow of the front door, he waved. [say]"Ciao! It is an interesting question you ask and answer that I heard given. The answer is not too far from the truth, but I find it is not so simple. Please, do come in. We can have some wine and discuss."[/say] Bastien stepped back and gestured for the two to enter, an enthusiastic smile on his face.

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Oia'i'o - 11-06-2019

[say]"That is a good point."[/say] You forget that your experiences of the world aren't the norm, and hastily try and nudge your thinking away from your own personal biases. [say]"What I should have said I suppose, is do you think they prioritize these sorts of activities over more fundamental ones, because it brings them comfort? Having somewhere to gather and sing because it makes them feel secure, even though spending their time harvesting and hunting would better serve their more base needs?"[/say]

You're about to tug Kai along to see what other strange priorities the Grounders might have set up for themselves, as a man appears. His accent seems strange, and it is for this reason rather than the content of his words that you're interested. [say]"Outlander?"[/say] You whisper to Kai, though Bastien will likely hear you. Still you treat him like some novel and exotic creature.

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Kaimana - 11-06-2019

[say]"Some could argue that higher needs are just as important as base needs,"[/say] you counter your sister easily, glancing over your shoulder as you speak. [say]"The people who do those things - like art'n stuff - they have a role in the social structure."[/say] Maybe it would be nice, you think, to settle down and paint and make nice things and have a home and a family and children and-

-and a hundred other things that aren't worth thinking about. You shake your head, knowing that those things will never be for you.

There's a strange and friendly person who appears suddenly at the door and distracts you from your musings. His accent is incredibly strange and pleasant, and you glance at Oia as she questions his origin, nodding your head in agreement of the assessment. He seems to want to go inside, which you're somewhat less than certain about. [say]"Is it not a question that can be answered outside?"[/say] you wonder without really moving to follow, knowing your twin's aversion to the indoors (and your own dislike).

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Bastien - 11-07-2019

Bastien had heard whispers like Oia's all of his life. In Venice he'd regularly hear 'an indian?' (and often things much worse, but he did not care to remember those) in the same tones of curiosity and excitement. Long ago he'd learnt not to let it bother him - so he smiled and nodded. [say]"Indeed, an Outlander. I am from somewhere not very much like this at all."[/say]

A little offended his offer to come inside was apparently being rejected (there had been people in Venice who would have given their first born for wine with Bastien De Rosieres), he looked to the studio then back out. [say]"Well. As an Ascended I cannot come out to join you in the sunshine without some difficulty, and inside I have paintings to show you, music to play for you. As well as the aforementioned wine."[/say]

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Oia'i'o - 11-08-2019

You don't disagree with Kai that these sorts of people do in fact appear in the social hierarchy of human-animals. You're just not sure about the merit of it, especially when they seem to do such a poor job of surviving. Indeed, they've not noticeably mutated to better live in their surroundings from what you've seen, and three hundred years is more than enough time for a few mutations to have shown up. Maybe if they weren't so focused on these strange and ad hoc pastimes, they might have developed into something more interesting.

With a glance towards Bastien, as if surprised that he heard your very obvious question, you begin to write in your book, turning to a new page just for the artist. However as he too mentions he's an ascended, your blue eyes grow wide for a moment as you turn towards your twin. [say]"Another one."[/say] You whisper in that same not subtle tone. [say]"What happens if you do? How is it difficult? Can you taste the wine?"[/say]

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Kaimana - 11-12-2019

As soon as the man confirms that he is an outlander your eyes (and tongue) light up. [say]"What was it like? How has it been adjustin' to bein' here? Have y'undergone any changes?"[/say] Though that question is answered by his next comment- at least sort of.

[say]"Another one!"[/say] you agree enthusiastically, glancing between Bastien and your twin. As Oia begins to ask her questions you step closer to the Ascended, almost inside the house but not quite, peering up at his face as though it might hold the answer to some kind of mystery. Brown eyes wide with youthful wonder you reach out, intending to touch his arm and see if his skin feels cold, as well as whether or not it will blanch beneath the pressure of your finger.

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Bastien - 11-12-2019

Bastien was beginning to grow a little frustrated with his two guests but it did not show on his face, years of performing in the streets having taught him how to plaster a smile on the sourest mood. [say]"I am not sure what will happen, but I do not want to find out. For all the rest of your questions I must insist the both of you come in. As much as I do not care about stuffy social rules, it is odd to speak in a doorway and there is much more to show you indoors."[/say]

With that he stepped back, gesturing again inside the guild. It was clear he would not speak unless they came in.

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Oia'i'o - 11-13-2019

[say]"But if you aren't sure, how do you know anything will?"[/say] You argue. Quickly though he indicates that if you want more answers, you will in fact have to come in. Anxiety tightens your features as you glance nervously to Kai.

You had being inside. You hate the hallways and the door knobs and the rugs. Not to mention the walls and the ceilings and how nothing makes sense and how it's all so straight. But then again you have a job to do. Steeling yourself, you step forward, over the threshold of the door. There is still some sunlight on your back, and that makes you feel better.

[say]"There. Inside."[/say]

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Kaimana - 11-15-2019

The Outlander man seems incredibly patient and pleasant, something you appreciate given your penchant for causing aggravation by asking a billion questions and misunderstanding things. Not that you would really have any way of knowing that he is having uncharitable thoughts, even if he'd displayed them upon his face. Sure, you have a much better social awareness than Oia, but that's like saying a bug has a higher level of sentience than a rock: technically true, but really the only thing it means is that when a bug hits a window it's its own damn fault.

You think that Oia's question is valid: is he making his statements off a tested hypothesis, or simply assumption that someone else was correct? But you're distracted away from that line of thought by the imminent anxiety attack that is Oia inside. Somehow it seems the man is determined to get you into his house, and if this was another world and you were another person this might have been the appropriate time to comment on stranger danger.

But you are not afraid of strangers, even though you maybe should be.

Smiling reassuringly at your twin you reach out to grab her hand, gently leading her past the threshold of the Artist's Sanctuary. [say]"We don't like bein' inside,"[/say] you explain, though you step in a little further than your sister, less perturbed than her. [say]"Oia has trouble findin' her way around, an' I don't like all the straight lines an' stuff."[/say]

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Bastien - 11-16-2019

[say]"Ah, but how can I be sure anything won't? Given if something does happen it would as far as I understand potentially mean death, I am content with the mystery."[/say] Bastien smiled, beginning to put on a tone that was similar to how he would speak to children; with their curious eyes and endless questions the twins felt to him much younger than they were.

Hesitantly both of them entered and Bastien comprimised a little by still standing near the door, but now able to gesture to the paintings within. Some on the wall, some on tables or on an easel, in different levels of completion. Pittores small, messy paper drawings littered the floor and sculptures of differing skill stood dotted around. It was chaotic, but a kind of beautiful bohemian mess, almost crafted intentionally.

[say]"Look at all of this. What do you think the point is, when you see all of this? Does it not light a fire within, enrich your soul?"[/say] He smiled as Pittore ran across the room, carrying a bundle of yarn - since Rexanna had showed him how to finger-knit, the gremlin had hardly done anything else.

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Oia'i'o - 11-21-2019

[say]"Have you witnessed the effects on others, then? Can you describe their symptoms, and the moment of their death?"[/say] You think though, that were this the case, he might have said that to begin with. [say]"If no, have you considered the possibility that your limitations are part of a social experiment to see if you will remain inside?"[/say] You blink large blue eyes at Bastien, pen poised to record his answer.

You let Kai take your fingers, your eyebrows furrowing together as you are led slightly further inside. Given that you still think that the ascended won't actually explode in sunlight, you find it hard to be charitable and follow your twin's lead until..

—[say]'GREMLIN.'[/say] You burst out, academic joy colouring your voice. Instantly you streak ahead, eyes lowered and your body language anxious as you press yourself against a wall to avoid Bastien. However you seem to carry no such tension when viewing the gremlin. Dropping to your knees, fingers splayed, you look towards the creature with bright curiosity in your eyes.

RE: on the daily activities of the folk - Kaimana - 11-21-2019

The chaos of the interior does a great deal to set you at ease. You hate when things are clean and orderly, straight lines and hard edges and no hint of nature to be seen. This place, filled with haphazard art and clay and bright colors- well, it feels happy. Relaxing a little, you follow the art man's lead, a shy smile blooming on your face as you take it all in. [say]"Yeah, I guess it's pretty--"[/say]

Then Oia shouts gremlin, and that's the end of that.

You follow your twin eagerly, also falling to the floor, your legs crossed beneath you and your fingers outstretched in invitation to the little green creature. [Say]"Hullo! Watcha got there, huh?"[/say] Your voice is low and inviting, surprisingly soothing. You flash your twin an eager smile. Gremlin!