Court of the Fallen
Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] (/showthread.php?tid=2196)

Pages: 1 2

Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Adam - 11-16-2019

Coffee was a rambunctious little dragon, bold and daring; this made him a good fit for Adam, who hardly lived a peaceful or careful life (even when he had so little to do as he did in Caido, he found ways to make life dangerous). What it also meant however was that Coffee frequently gained a lot of grime on his shining black scales, making them more of a dull grey. With the memory mud settling into the Hollowed Grounds after Longnight, Coffee had become even more of a mucky pup, obsessed with playing with the seemingly sentient sludge.

It possibly would come as a surprise to those who knew him, but Adam did care about personal hygiene. There was no point in looking sexy if you stank close up and Coffee definitely stank. Besides, his shiny scales were half the fun.

So he had brought Coffee to the Oasis for a little bath. Of course, Coffee did not enjoy bath time (and being a fire dragon, most water that made contact with him became steam quickly), which made it a rather difficult task. Enveloped in steam, leaning away as often as he could to breathe, Adam sat at the side of the Oasis, scrubbing dirt off of Coffee's scales with a damp cloth.

Coffee was being mostly obedient, though he was whiny, making squeaky roars when Adam did not wring out the cloth enough or put it too close to his face. [say]"C'mon, you dirty little bugger, I can't go out with you looking like this..."[/say] Adam mumbled, determinedly getting between Coffee's toes.

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Loren - 11-16-2019

A lot had happened in a very short period. So, as always when he needed to process the changes, Loren sought out one of the quiet and wild places of the Hollowed Grounds. Today his destination was the Oasis. Dressed in sturdy and serviceable dark clothing and boots, he'd left the Manor, Astra by his side. They were both sick of the mud, but also mostly able to ignore it at this point.

Stopping at the shrine first, the Launceleyn had left an offering of honey and thanks to Frey. Then the summoner had made his way over to the pool of placid water. Well, normally placid water. Today, it was full of commotion. Squinting his eyes, Loren saw that it was Adam and his dragon.

The luxere immediately went over to the dark haired man and his companion. Offering a tentative smile, the summoner approached as well, though he halted a short distance away. [say]"Hello there. How've you been since the portal?"[/say] His voice came out cheerfully. Then he tilted his head. [say]"Also, need some help?"[/say] Holding up a hand, the Launceleyn made some water dart from the pool and dance in the air for a moment before dropping it. More subtly, he drew some steam away from Adam, making it easier to clean.

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Adam - 11-17-2019

Adam was so focused on scrubbing Coffee while not catching a claw to the eye he did notice they had company until there was a Luxere right by his face, at which point he made a noise not unlike 'uuwahh!' and fell back, surprised by the sudden white snout. Coffee used the chance to grab the cloth and toss it over into the water, looking back with a victorious glint in his eyes.

With a sigh Adam looked over; seeing Loren he raised his eyebrows. Dressed all dark, appearing in the middle of nowhere...he really was playing up the cult thing, huh? [say]"Okay, I guess...how'd your family reunion go?"[/say] He still wasn't entirely sure what he'd seen in Halo between Neron and Loren, only that it had seemed awkward and not at all his business, which meant he was infinitely curious about it.

Coffee's glee did not last long as Loren raised his hand and dropped water straight onto the little dragon, who stood up with a growl and blew smoke from his nostrils, steam pouring off him. Laughing, Adam stood up and looked his companion over. [say]"Well, I guess that'll do for now. Don't go running in the mud again cos I gotta dry you off properly in a minute."[/say]

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Loren - 11-19-2019

As Adam fell back, Loren felt his cheeks flush with embarrassment. [say]”Oh. Sorry! Didn’t mean to startle you.”[/say] He gave the other man an apologetic smile. Astra, for her part, didn’t look sorry in the slightest. She regarded the dragon with big eyes, and let out a content bleat at finally having made new friends, since she hadn't really been able to in the Spire.

Looking away, the Launceleyn sighed and ran a nervous hand through his hair. [say]”Which one?”[/say] Then he shrugged. [say]”Doesn’t matter. My twin wants nothing to do with me and my cousin disowned me and threatened to kill me, so I guess it’s not my family anymore.”[/say] His words came out evenly, though there was a sad look in his eyes.

As the dark-haired man laughed, though, the summoner shook his head. [say]”Let me help.”[/say] Without moving a muscle, Loren directed his water magic to lift every bit of water off the dragon. He even converted the steam to liquid, then dumped the whole lot back in the Oasis. Smiling at the creature as the luxere approached, bending down to sniff at the dragon, the Launceleyn glanced up at the other man. [say]”What’s your companion’s name?”[/say] Then the summoner tilted his head and gave Adam a slightly chagrined look. [say]”Also you're Peter’s boyfriend, right?”[/say] Loren’s voice came out tentatively.

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Adam - 11-22-2019

[say]"You didn't startle me."[/say] Insisted Adam, crossing his arms and trying to look confident to compensate for the fact he had been startled.

He blinked at Loren's question, unsure just how many family reunions a man could have in one day. [say]"Sounds like your family is pretty fucking crazy, which sounds pretty right based on what I know about them."[/say] Widening his eyes and raising his eyebrows, he tried to hold his tongue, but it seemed like it was not at all going to be held. [say]"As soon as Peter got here he got...weirdly adopted or some shit and none of you seem healthy."[/say]

At least Loren seemed to want to help him wash his dragon (euphemism?). Coffee watched the water rise with wide eyes, clearly confused, as Adam laughed. [say]"This is Coffee. And yeah, I am. Which is why I'm not all that keen on the Law-cell-ee-yens."[/say] He struggled with saying the name, or was he doing it on purpose?

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Loren - 11-22-2019

Loren raised his eyebrows, an amused light dancing in his eyes. [say]”Sure.”[/say] Tilting his head, he gave Adam a considering look. [say]"And what do you know about them?"[/say] The summoner crossed his arms, the corners of his mouth turned up slightly. Then he sighed at the dark-haired man's words about Peter. [say]"I wasn't here for that."[/say] Giving an apologetic smile, the Launceleyn ran a hand through his hair.

Grinning at Coffee, Loren approached and knelt by the dragon. [say]"It's nice to meet you properly, Coffee."[/say] Astra took that as permission, and she trotted forward to the dragon as well, bending down to sniff before letting out an excited bleat. Chuckling, the Launceleyn glanced up at Adam. [say]"And that's Astra."[/say] The summoner reached out to give the luxere an affectionate pat.

Then he stood up and let out a little huff of laughter. [say]"Do I seem unhealthy to you? The rest of my family, yes, I'd be the first to admit are unhealthy."[/say] Crossing his arms again, Loren smiled a little sadly. [say]"Have you asked him about my family? Or me specifically?"[/say] His voice came out reasonably, with just a gentle curiosity.

However, his eyes narrowed. [say]"And I'm not too keen on you being a thief."[/say] Holding up a hand in a placating gesture, Loren smiled faintly. [say]"But you make Peter happy, and that's what's important. As far as I'm concerned, he's free to choose whatever family and loved ones he wants."[/say]

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Adam - 11-23-2019

[say]"Well, I know your sister or whatever the fuck she is struck me with literal shitting lightning for asking a question. I know you all absorbed Pet right into your weird thing right away - I mean, c'mon. The guys obviously looking for somewhere to belong. You take him in, give him a new name, then there's suddenly shit about him having to have kids for the family. What the fuck was I meant to think?"[/say] Adam fixed Loren with a look that suggested he was not willing to budge on this. Perhaps he could be friendly with Loren if the man proved himself an exception, but he was not ever going to be fond of the Launceleyns.

Coffee seemed more willing than Adam to make friends, easily going to softly press his nose against Loren's hand and sniffing Astra back (Though Adam did swiftly lean down to whisper 'you can't eat that.' just in case).

[say]"I mean, from what I saw in Halo, no. Not really. I mean hey, look, I've got shit too. My mum was a whore and I've got hella daddy issues. But what I don't like is dragging other people into your shit."[/say] Though Loren's disapproval over his career made him snort a laugh, look to the man with an incredulous look. [say]"You...know who Pet is, right? Dude's a way bigger thief and assassin than I ever was."[/say]

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Loren - 11-23-2019

Frowning, Loren tried to parse Adam’s angry words. [say]”My...sister?”[/say] Then understanding dawned on the summoner’s features. [say]”Zariah struck you with lightning.”[/say] Screwing his eyes shut, he took a steadying breath before opening them. [say]”I’m sorry. What did you ask? Also, she’s my cousin.”[/say] Then the corner of his mouth quirked up. [say]”I don’t know, you don’t strike me as much of a thinker.”[/say]

Holding up a hand in a placating gesture, the Launceleyn gave the dark-haired man an apologetic smile. [say]”Sorry. That was uncalled for.”[/say] Sighing, Loren ran a hand through his hair. [say]”Again, I wasn’t here when Zariah adopted Peter. Nor was Neron. Did it occur to you that not every member of the family wants the same things? Perhaps Zariah is the problem, not the Launceleyns.”[/say] Crossing his arms, the summoner tilted his head and gave Adam an unimpressed look. [say]”Again, did you talk to Peter? About any of this?”[/say] The Launceleyn’s tone indicated that he doubted it.

Kneeling down, Loren let Coffee sniff. Then the summoner reached forward to scratch under the dragon’s chin. Astra, once she’d properly greeted Coffee, trotted over to Adam. Looking up at the dark-haired man with soulful eyes, she gave an excited bleat, practically demanding some affection.

At that sight, the Launceleyn straightened up with a laugh. The good cheer faded away quickly enough. [say]”I have repeatedly told Peter it’s his choice to be a part of this family, and he has repeatedly affirmed that he wants to be a Launceleyn. So again, I’m curious as to whether you actually talked to your boyfriend about your concerns, or if you just went hairing off trying to be a hero for him.”[/say] Then Adam tried to cast Peter as the bad guy and the summoner had to snort. [say]”I know, yes. He was a thief and an assassin, as I understand it. But he wants to leave that life behind. Nor is it one he wanted to begin with. He was forced into it.”[/say]

Loren narrowed his eyes. [say]”How about you? Did your daddy issues drive you to stealing?”[/say] Tilting his head, he regarded the dark-haired man with a steady gaze. [say]"I'm not your enemy. As I said, I just want Peter to be happy, and for some reason, you make him happy."[/say] The summoner shrugged.

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Adam - 11-24-2019

[say]"Cousin, sister, wife, whatever."[/say] Adam waved a hand dismissively. From how messed up the family dynamics sounded, he wasn't sure the distinction really mattered. [say]"I wanted to ask her if Pet could leave if he wanted to and she just fucking zapped me. Hurt like a bitch and I still feel a bit stiff. Felt kinda like she just wanted to do that to someone, and there I was, so she just went for it."[/say] He was clearly rather bitter over this; perhaps because of his stewing on the incident he did not reply to Loren's jab.

Maybe every family member didn't feel the same, but Adam didn't see them doing much about it. [say]"So you do think it's fucked up, how Pet was pulled in? And yes. We have spoken about it, thank you very much."[/say] Sort of. A while ago. But it still counted and he didn't want to give Loren anything to use against him.

Coffee happily let Loren scratch under his chin, a big fan of the man that had ended bathtime early. With a grumpy expression, Adam gave Astra a few half-hearted pets. [say]"He wants...to belong to something. He's got a messed up past and he doesn't know how to just be hisself, which is a shame cos...he's..pretty amazing when he's just himself."[/say] For a moment there was none of the usual sardonic irony layered over Adam's expression, just a genuine fond smile. [say]"So of course he lept right into it. But I don't want him to go from one fucked up dickhole telling him what to do to another. I'm not gonna force him to do anything, I'm just..."[/say]

He sighed and waved his hand back and forth, trying to find the words. [say]"Make sure it's possible for him to leave, because I think eventually he will wanna. And uh..."[/say] Adam laughed again, wondering just how well Loren actually knew Pet. [say]"You know there's a huge pile at my house of shit Pet's taken from the market, right? He mighta been forced into the killing, but me and him have a joint appreciation for shiny things that aren't ours."[/say]

As for his daddy issues, he shrugged. [say]"Nah, it was probably the crippling poverty and hunger that did that, ya know, that's just how it is."[/say]

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Loren - 11-24-2019

Loren raised his eyebrows. [say]”That sounds like Zariah. She has little time for those she sees as fools, and those who would insult her family or try to break it apart.”[/say] Sighing, the summoner ran a hand through his hair, giving Adam a troubled look. [say]”I don’t let she’ll let Peter walk away without a fight, even if that’s what he wanted.”[/say] The Launceleyn’s words were quiet and sad. [say]”I can heal your muscle aches, if you’d like.”[/say] However, he made no move to do so just yet.

Tilting his head, he gave the dark-haired man a quizzical look. [say]”Recently? Because from my conversations with him, it didn’t sound like you two had discussed me or my family in quite a while.”[/say] Loren shook his head as he found anger rising within him. Still, his tone was absent of anything but concern. [say]”I think it’s fucked up, yes. I wouldn’t wish anyone to join the family with Zariah in charge of it. But I also worry that forcing him to make a choice will just drive him away.”[/say]

Astra didn’t find the pats satisfactory, So she gently headbutted Adam, though she took care to make it gentle and affectionate. The summoner smiled at the sight, but the happiness didn’t last long. Still, as the dark-haired man spoke of similar sentiments to the ones Loren had earlier, his expression softened. [say]”I don’t want him to do anything but be happy. And I appreciate that you’re showing him there’s another way.”[/say] There was a genuine gratitude in those words.

Of course, it vanished entirely when Adam straight up admitted to thieving. Loren raised his eyebrows again. [say]”Really? Like what?”[/say] This time, the Launceleyn’s voice was carefully neutral. However, his neutral mask faltered, and in its place was something much more understanding. [say]”I’m sorry you had to go through that.”[/say] The summoner’s tone was gently soothing.

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Adam - 11-25-2019

[say]"Yeah, I got that. Is there anyone she does like? I mean shit, I guess she musta had her kids with someone, but I dunno how he managed to not turn into a crisp."[/say] Adam sighed, shaking his head and raising his eyebrows. Sometimes he wished he was back in his world, where he'd generally been able to charm anyone with a wink and a line. People here were harder, somehow.

Perhaps it was stupid to let Loren use his magic on him after he was just complaining about Zariah's attack, but his body ached and he was losing the energy to argue. [say]"...If you could, yeah, actually. That'd be good."[/say]

At least Loren could acknowledge the whole thing was weird as hell. [say]"Well. Maybe I could do with having a refresher chat with him on it. But...I think if something was gonna drive me and Pet apart, it'dve already happened."[/say] Adam smiled to himself, glad he could be sure Peter was going to stick around. With a roll of his eyes (more amused than anything) he gave Astra a scratch on the chin, and patted the Luxere's neck - at the same time he gave Loren a reluctant smile at his words.

Though he still laughed at the question. Had Loren really thought he was innocent? [say]"Pet particularly likes shiny colours like I dunno, jewellery and shit. And scarves. He's mad about scarves. Sweets and cakes too, though I think the cake lady knows about it and just lets him take them cos she feels sorry for him, on accounta the scars."[/say] Adam shrugged. If he had the scars Pet did, he'd use them for a sympathy card all the time.

[say]"Eh. Made me cool and sexy like this so it wasn't all bad."[/say] He dismissed his poor childhood with a wave.

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Loren - 11-29-2019

Shaking his head, Loren crossed his arms. [say]”Not really. At least, not that I know of.”[/say] The Launceleyn offered Adam a faint smile, but there was a haunted look in the summoner’s eyes. [say]”Beatrix isn’t her kid, she’s my half-sister. My father was...ill-equipped to raise any children, especially on his own, so Zariah adopted Beatrix. Jace is my nephew, though, the son of Zariah and Neron.”[/say] Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair. [say]”But no, Zariah’s love has always been twisted. All of my family’s love has always been twisted, really.”[/say] His voice came out quietly.

Nodding, the Launceleyn laid his hand on the other man’s shoulder briefly. A pulse of blue light coursed from the summoner’s fingertips through Adam’s body, chasing away the last of the aches and the other damage from Loren’s cousin’s lightning. [say]”There. Should be all better now.”[/say] Then the Launceleyn tilted his head as he lifted his hand and dropped his arm to his side. [say]”I can heal those scars to. If you want.”[/say] This time, the summoner’s faint smile was genuinely happy, if fleeting.

It broadened into a full on grin. [say]”Thieving or no, I’m glad you two found each other.”[/say] Letting out a huff of laughter, the Launceleyn clasped his hands behind his back. [say]”Are you talking about Amalia?”[/say]

Then, though his smile faltered, though his tone remained kind. [say]”Listen. I’m part of the militia, so I should probably tell you not to steal. But you don’t seem the type to listen to authority and I have no interest in hurting you or Peter.”[/say] His hands came forward in a placating gesture. [say]”So long as you keep your stealing to a minimum, and don’t take anyone’s necessities, I’m willing to turn a blind eye.”[/say] Although his tone was entirely reasonable, Loren’s eyes were sharp.

Then, though, he snorted. [say]”Cool and sexy. Sure. Let’s go with that.”[/say] The Launceleyn’s voice indicated just how uncool and unappealing he found Adam.

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Adam - 11-29-2019

Adam frowned, his finger moving about as he tried to map out the family tree that Loren was telling him about. As he got through it, his frown deepened more and more. [say]"So...Neron is your brother, Zariah's your cousin, so Neron is Zariah's cousin. So...they had a kid together? Jeeez, y'all really are a rich family huh? They always fuck each other."[/say] Adam snort-laughed, shaking his head down at the ground. [say]"Sounds pretty twisted if you ask me."[/say]

He was impressed by the speed of Loren's healing but did not show it too much, just nodding and giving him a 'thanks'. Though the second offer made him flinch back, looking as offended as he did. [say]"No! I-I mean...no. No, thanks."[/say] Adam suddenly felt troubled; he did not know why he felt such a strong reaction to it, but he knew he could not so easily wipe away the marks of his past.

At least he could move on to talking about Pet. [say]"I am too. And nah, Amalia would give us stuff just cos we're bezzie mates. The cake lady makes those really thick sweet honey cakes and she's really soft."[/say] Adam shrugged - in his home he'd made up a map of shopkeeps that were moved by a tear and a good story and had worked out how to eat for free just about everywhere.

Loren's warning was pretty unnecessary. [say]"C'mon, man. I'm not a total cunt. I'm never gonna steal anyone's food if they haven't got extra, or take something from some desperate family. Back home I used to only steal from rich dickheads who were taxing the shit out of the poor - here that doesn't really apply, but I still don't just take shit blindly."[/say] Adam rolled his eyes, as if this was painfully obvious. After all, what good was a cool sexy rogue if he didn't do some Robin Hood-esque good stealing?

And yes, he was cool and sexy. Fuck you, Loren.

RE: Dragon Scrubbies [Open] - Loren - 11-30-2019

Sighing, Loren shook his head. [say]”Neron is my twin yes, but Zariah is my...third cousin? Fourth cousin?”[/say] He ran a hand through his hair. [say]”Regardless, she’s a distant relative. But yes, it’s weird.”[/say] The corners of the summoner’s mouth quirked up. [say]”Weirder still because I would’ve sworn my brother was incapable of loving anyone.”[/say] Then Adam freaked out and the Launceleyn held out a placating hand. [say]”Alright.”[/say] He smiled gently at the other man.

Loren tilted his head, a confused look on his face. [say]”You and Amalia are what?”[/say] However, his expression hardened. [say]”I don’t know you, but I do know that almost no one in the Hollowed Grounds is, as you say, a 'rich dickhead.' Everyone is just scraping to get by."[/say] Letting out a huff of laughter, Loren's eyes and features softened. [say]"Besides me and my family, of course, but Peter is welcome to take whatever he wants from the Manor, as are you, which I imagine takes some of the fun out of stealing."[/say]