Court of the Fallen
Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated (/showthread.php?tid=2204)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Wessex - 11-18-2019

She should have come sooner - should have come to see Rex and offer to help, should have actually behaved like an actual sister, but the Queen hopes that at the end of the day, the two of them understand  why she hadn’t been able to come and see them earlier. There’s only so much one woman can do at a time and as much as she hates to admit it, certain things take precedence even when she doesn’t want them to.

A short time after the sun has turned a deep indigo, Wessex takes herself to the Artisan Guild’s front door. Three sharp raps announce that there’s a visitor at the door and then she steps back to wait. Facing the entrance with a half-absent gaze, she mentally jots down a list of things they should probably talk about: her eyes, Halo, moving forward, their public face, and being made a Demi-God all make ever-growing list.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Bastien - 11-18-2019

Bastien and Rexanna, as much as they didn't need to, both liked the luxury of going to bed at night. Sometimes for the obvious lewd connotations of retreating to the bedroom, but sometimes just to fall asleep together and spend some time quiet and without the ever-mounting stress of life in the Hollowed Grounds demanding things of them. (Pittore seemed to sleep for most of the day, sometimes. As the sun had gone down on this particular day, he had gone to a pile of canvases in the back to use as a bed).

Spending the day working on his painting of the Voice, Bastien was standing back from it, looking it over for one more time before thinking about suggesting to Rexanna that they go upstairs. It was coming to it's completion now, the face well-sculpted in paint and only the details to add. He opened his mouth to speak, then a knock at the door made him turn to look. [say]"Ah. Let us see who has come to visit."[/say] He said out loud, growing used to narrating what he was doing recently for Rexanna's sake.

Opening the door and seeing Wessex, for a moment he was surprised - but then he remembered how she had been so concerned for Rexanna in Longnight. With a smile, he stood back and opened the door. [say]"It is Wessex, cara. Hopefully you do not come with bad news...?"[/say] He asked the woman entering their home.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Rexanna - 11-18-2019

There were certain normalcies that Bastien and her had grown used to, chosen to keep despite the difference in their bodies now. And it was really no exception that her days, now blinded aside from scouting for the pieces to put herself back together, are spent along the couch, fiddling with fabrics or humming along to music from the thought player while Bastien painted, chatting and conversing the days away. She’s doing just that, tinkering without her magic because at least she can imagine it and create it without seeing it, as she creates a small plain ring, draped in golds and blues for the sheer fact of doing it, when she too hears the knock on the door.

She sits up, shirt low hanging on her frame for comfort’s sake as Bastien announces he’ll answer the door. She nods, listening and waiting, face angled toward the door as she ensures the bandana’s placement over her eyes. But her curiosity is diminished once Bastien tells her it’s Wessex, and she stands on sure legs, having grown used to where things were kept in the Artists Sanctuary now that they had no reason to be moved about. And she slips toward the door with a bright smile, pausing because she doesn’t know where exactly Wessex is, but hopes to hug the woman close in greeting.

“[say]Wessex! I’m glad you’ve come![/say]” A cheerful greeting, though a part of her does worry with Bastien that there might be terrible news. At the very least, she can tell their queen of the task given by the Voice, the things needed to restore her sight so some things are similar.

And even still, the starburst scar along her chest, paired with and just as raised as her brand is, easily seen in the dip of her shirt.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Wessex - 11-18-2019

Wessex makes a face of both surprise and confusion when Bastien asks if she comes bearubg bad news.[say] “Why?”[/say] she responds lightly,[say] “Would you shut the door in my face if I did?”[/say] Because the notion that a door could keep her out is amusing, prompting a brief chuckle in the back of her throat as she crosses the threshold. Respect for a request made by Rex would keep her away but... that’s about it. She and Bastien have never been more than vaguely friendly towards each other, and part of her would love to show him the folly of not being more involved with his Goddess’ plans. Sorry not sorry.

Her expression, however, flips one hundred and eighty degrees when Rexanna’s voice cuts through the air. Though the woman can’t see it, she actually smiles sadly as she steps into her sister’s embrace - ever awkward with a tight squeeze and a little pat on the back. It’s almost like people don’t make a habit of hugging her (spoiler alert: they don’t).

[say] “I’m sorry I couldn’t come sooner,”[/say] she begins as she pulls away, removing herself from the embrace but keeping a more comfortable hold on Rex’s hands if she’ll let her. Her gaze wanders to the current project (how could she miss it?), drawn in by the scale of the project, the way he’s captured her likeness in detail. The Queen smiles, looking for the artist.[say] “Wow. That’s beautiful, Bastien.”[/say]

High praise from someone could care less about the finer things in life.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Bastien - 11-18-2019

[say]"Oh, believe me, I would not dare."[/say] Bastien told Wessex with a smirk on his lips, though he did actually mean it. He was not scared of anyone, but he could tell Wessex meant business. He had decided a while ago to not make an enemy of her any more than he could help it, even if their personalities clashed something fierce.

Besides, Rexanna seemed to dearly love her, so he had tried his best to see that love for himself. Smiling as the women hugged before him, he walked into the main room and tried to appear casual, though his eyes were scanning the floor for things Rexanna could trip on, occasionally glancing to her to make sure she was alright. After all the recent injuries, it was hard to not be a little paranoid.

The compliment on his work was a pleasant surprise and he grinned, nodding as he looked over to it. [say]"Thank you. It is my attempt to assist our Lady Voice in my own way. I am not a fighter nor as brave as either of you, but I have my talents...I am going to speak with her first, but I hope this might be a powerful step for us."[/say] Crossing his arms he continued to stare at his canvas, obviously caught up in a million different threads of thought about it.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Rexanna - 11-18-2019

She can hear the conversation between Wessex and Bastien as she arrives, and Rexanna smiles easily through some newfound tension. “[say]LongNight was difficult, and with the Portal in the Mathair, it has us a bit on edge of what comes next.[/say]” She offers easily, swept up in Wessex’s embrace, squeezing back happily before she lets go just enough, hand remaining in Wessex’s while Bastien scans the floor for any potential tripping hazards. But Rexanna is sure on her feet as she follows them toward the painting, leading Wessex toward the couch she had been sitting upon before her arrival and offering her a seat. She then takes up her own, perched, legs curled beneath her as she turns her attention to Wessex with a soft smile, the general direction she hopes that the queen is.

“[say]Don’t worry about me, I have too many people worried on that front.[/say]” She replies easily, amusement under her tone. “[say]But Bastien has been busy creating what I can only assume to be amazing, judging by your reaction. And the Voice has tasked me with gathering things for a new set of eyes.[/say]” She says lightly, smiling and cheerful despite the terrible appearance. She hopes Wessex doesn’t penalize herself for not coming sooner, seeing as Rexanna hadn’t minded it. She knew they’d get together at some point. It didn’t bother her in the end.

She hasn’t shown Wessex how much damage the creatures of LongNight had caused, carefully concealed behind the fabric Deimos had made her. But for her, she wouldn’t mind sharing, showing, added proof to the power of what the Voice could do.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Wessex - 11-19-2019

[say] “Ah,”[/say] Wessex concedes.[say] “You’re not alone in that.”[/say] The tension is everywhere and you don’t have to be especially attuned to the world to feel it. She’s more than ready to move on to the next part of her life, whatever that is - as Queen or as a citizen again, it doesn’t matter. Everything’s changed.

Following Rex to the couch, the Wraith takes a seat at the other end where she can hopefully see both of them.[say] “How so?”[/say] she genuinely inquires about Bastien’s idea that his painting will be a powerful step forward for them. Glancing back to the painting again, she knows that it is a lovely piece of art and an exhibition of obvious skill, but can art (and divisive art at that) truly be a powerful step forward? Her doubts remain private; it’s not for her to approve or deny, especially if it will bring Bastien closer to the fold. And you know… maybe it’s time for them to stop apologizing for who they are.

[say] “I have no doubt about that, you are much loved,”[/say] Wessex says with a smile in her voice, her own affection hopefully abundantly clear.[say] “Has it been difficult?”[/say] Both the blindness and the task, she means, but gives leeway to avoid talking about one or the other, if she doesn’t want to. She’s actually just quite glad to not be talking about herself or answering questions - if only for a couple of minutes.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Bastien - 11-20-2019

'A bit on edge' was putting it lightly, Bastien thought, though admittedly he was more concerned about Rexanna's well-being than she herself seemed to be. At least it did not seem Wessex actually did have any bad news for them; this actually felt like a visit born out of her concern for their (mostly Rex's) wellbeing.

[say]"Ah. Well, I have yet to speak to The Voice about it, so this may not come to be, but..."[/say] For a moment he hesitated, not sure if Wessex would appreciate his plan. But she was going to find out eventually anyway - it wasn't like he felt he needed her permission nor forgiveness. [say]"The plan is to hang it in the dead of night above the temple shrine. Make The Voice the first large painted icon in there - showing she is not only one among the Gods, but the one with the most dedicated following. We are not going away - and neither is she."[/say] With a smile, Bastien waited to see if Wessex approved.

He would let Rexanna answer the question about her healing, though he did nod as Wessex asked if it had been difficult. Seeing Rexanna the way she was, trying to put on a brave face anyway...it was not his pain to voice, not when she was so hurt, but it had been weighing heavy on his heart.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Rexanna - 11-21-2019

Things have changed, in ways that Rexanna likely should have expected it to go. She can recall the conversation with Deimos right after she Ascended, of which side to pick, and here she was stuck in the middle of it again and uncertain which one to choose. She’d prefer to not have to, if she’s being honest. But she’s not that naïve.

She waits for Bastien to explain his thoughts and plans when it comes to the painting he’s making, and she listens quietly for Wessex’s response to that, head tilted toward her newfound sister before the conversation shifts back toward her and her healing. She can’t see Bastien’s response, and from Rexanna’s end (of course not being able to see how shit she looked) she thinks things are going mostly fine.

Her arms wrap easily around her legs as she settles into the couch, contemplating the question. “[say]Not really, no.[/say]” She muses, the smile breaking across her face again. “[say]Bastien’s been wonderful in helping make sure that I can figure out my way around without much help. It’s a bit more difficult outside of here, so I’ve stayed in mostly.[/say]” A brief shrug, it doesn’t bother her much. Deimos has helped her get the worm, and she’s attaining the glowstone with Amalia. All that’s left is the ice, which she hopes that Loren might be willing to help with.

All of her ducks are in a row.

But it occurs to her then that perhaps she hadn’t meant the tasks, and she contemplates the question briefly once more. “[say]I’ve… Never been blind before. And I hadn’t realized how much I relied on my sight. It’s been an experience to get used to, but I think it’s enhanced my hearing a bit to try and make up for it. Deimos made me this bandana to wear so people don’t have to see what happened.[/say]” Because in the end it was pretty gruesome, and she’s so thankful for the Voice and not being able to feel pain, because it would have been an absolute nightmare.

"[say]But enough about me, you said Halo was open?[/say]"

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Wessex - 11-21-2019

Listening as Bastien explains his plan for the painting, Wessex finds herself conflicted. She might not have responded but at a look from the painter, she finds herself compelled to add her two cents.[say] “I’m sure She will love it. She loves anything that paints her in a positive light, pun intended. It will probably make some people very angry - they might even tear it down, so I don’t know if you want to risk that - but I’m also tired of apologizing for existing.”[/say] Her head shakes back and forth with a sharp exhale. [say] “Though to be fair, that might just be me and my actions.”[/say] The two of them are far less controversial. Some might even say Bastien’s utterly harmless if you don’t get in the way of his ego.

Her gaze drops momentarily to her hands.[say] “So I’m sorry if I’ve been the cause of any difficulties.”[/say] Or any to come, she should probably say - but won’t. Not yet.

Rex mentions Deimos’s help and it stings a little bit. She’d really wanted to have the big guy as a friend, but the moment he fell for Amalia she knew it wasn’t destined to be. There’s some part of her that can forgive that, understand it even, and another part of her that thinks he’s right up there with Jigano’s hypocrite level, given his past as a soldier. Before she can go deep into the rabbit hole, Wessex is pulled back by Rex’s question about the portal.

Leaning forward, elbows on her knees, she nods.[say] “It is. I’m sure word’s gotten around by now, what with Adam, Loren, and Jigano knowing, too, but I had wanted to keep it quiet because there wasn’t a path to the Citadel set up and there wasn’t an agreement in place until very recently,"[/say] or so Astor really hopes otherwise timelines are super fucked. [say]"And there was no point going in anyone going over there if they were just going to wander around on an endlessly white Tundra until they die.”[/say] Wessex says ‘they’ because the three of them would likely have been ok unless they encountered Ursurs, Frost Giants, or the Tundra folk.

[say] “But it wasn’t easy. And it be the nail in the coffin of my reign.”[/say] Not that wearing the crown had been at the core of her identity, but it did make keeping their freedom easier.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Bastien - 11-21-2019

Bastien nodded along to Wessex's thoughts. He really had no idea what it was she would take from his idea, so that she replied that she was tired of apologising for existing made him smile wide. [say]"Exactly. As far as ripping it down. Well - let them rip it. I cannot be precious about my work if I am putting it up in such a spot. It will let us know exactly how some feel, anyway."[/say] He shrugged. It was not as if he could not recreate it, even if it would never be exactly the same.

[say]"Tch. Do not apologise unnecessarily, Wessex. It is not something that suits you."[/say] He smiled, lightly teasing her.

He did not show it, but Bastien listened with some trepidation to the news about Halo. He felt anxious about the new land, as much as he wished he could be on the side of adventure and exploration; if the people left the Hollowed Grounds, his guild was in poor shape indeed...and he feared Rexanna might want to go with them. Could he follow...? He did not say anything, frowning and looking at the ground.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Rexanna - 11-23-2019

She remains silent while Wessex answers Bastien’s question of whether the Voice would love it, though her head does tilt toward her husband with a bright smile. He could recreate it if it was taken down, all the more proof that they are out there, that they’re not going anywhere and to stop pretending they will or that they can. She didn’t consider herself a warrior, just… A diplomat, a spy, a thief of information based off of necessity – sometimes that came with learning to fight, to protect herself. And that’s exactly what she’s done.

Her head tilts back toward Wessex with an understanding nod. “[say]I’m tired of people constantly asking why I made the choice I did. As if it’s a curse when I think it’s the best thing I’ve ever done.[/say]” She grows a bit solemn at that. “[say]If I were not Ascended, I’m sure I would have died over LongNight.[/say]” She’s thankful she can’t see either of their faces, but she does try to reach out for Wessex’s hand to give it a light squeeze as Bastien lightly teases her. Offering the queen, her new sister a bright smile of understanding, she clears her throat. “[say]You’ve done the best you can.[/say]”

The best any of them can, really, as far as she’s concerned. It’d likely all end in the same results anyway.

The mention of Halo, however, has her attention further and she focuses on the words. “[say]Makes sense.[/say]” A quiet nod of understanding given to Wessex on the path made to the Citadel. She wants to ask more about the mountains, about the view, about the cold, the snow, everything involving it – but she falters when Wessex mentions it’s the nail in the coffin for her reign, and Rexanna frowns deeply, hoping to squeeze the woman’s arm or hand again. “[say]I’m sorry Wessex.[/say]” Ruling was tough, it was difficult. “[say]Let me know what I can do to help.[/say]” Though she doesn’t know what she can do, just yet, blind and essentially useless unless someone wanted to burn a few buildings to the ground or have her create some tiny items.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Wessex - 11-24-2019

Has she though? Has she truly done the best she can? Wessex accepts the kindness without protest and returns the squeeze with gratitude, preferring to keep her doubts to herself. If unnecessary apologies do not become her, then neither do unnecessary doubts. When their Lady had said that Wessex had earned the newfound brightness bestowed upon her, she meant everything the woman had done up until now and that meant every choice she’d made. And as there is never going to be a way to see if Wessex had been wrong, it is easiest for them all to just accept what Rex and the Lady (two very smart individuals, btw) say as the gospel gruth.

So instead of dwelling on it, she chuckles and nods at Bastien’s teasing.[say] “Mmmm, unflattering, you’re right. Won’t happen again.”[/say]

[say] “I’m not sure you can help. Or if I need it, really. It might be a good thing to be done, it might not be, but we can’t try and guess what’s going to happen.”[/say] She shrugs, pauses for a moment and then offers to the both of them, decisively.[say] “I’m inclined to let the cards fall where they will, unless you have a good reason for me to push either way.”[/say] Another pause. Their Lady has a vision and they have their instructions and she needs to take care of that vision and their family.[say] “Which means that you should know something else that happened when the portal opened to us. After it was done, The Voice came to me and she made me brighter. Said she would raise me up like the Old Gods have raised others… which makes me think she’s made me a demi-god. Like Safrin did with Ronin.”[/say] And Delphia, that weird daughter of Mort. If there are others, she doesn’t know about them yet.

They're the first people she's told and she finds herself nervously awaiting their reactions.

RE: Mama said don't give up, it's a little complicated - Bastien - 11-24-2019

He nodded at Wessex's agreement, glad she seemed to recognise what it was he meant. Though it seemed she was still less sure of herself than usual, if the pauses between her speech were anything to go by. He waited to hear what it was she was trying to say, going to stand by Rex and placing his hand on the small of her back.

A hand she would feel tense as Wessex announced her news. Not with anger; with a little shock but mostly a lot of jealousy. Ever since he had come to Caido he had had dreams of walking among the Divine, had even Ascended with that in mind. To know that Wessex had achieved it before him (and as far as he knew, it had not been a dream of hers) stung, even though he knew she had accomplished much more from the Voice than he.

Still, it was not her fault he had not been chosen. [say]"...That..is amazing, isn't it?"[/say] He said, looking to Rexanna then back to Wessex. [say]"Have you gained any Divine abilities?"[/say]