Court of the Fallen
Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Honey, I Can't Keep Up (/showthread.php?tid=2251)

Pages: 1 2 3

Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Bastien - 11-27-2019

With all the tension and stress in the air recently (even if he rarely felt it himself, in his guild painting with visitors and playing with Pittore), Bastien had yearned for time spent with Rexanna, calm and easy, talking about things with the familiarity and comfort of love. With that in mind he left a note on their door as she was at the town meeting, which he had neglected to attend - he felt given his plans to soon make a show about his siding with The Voice, it was best to avoid current political discourse. Too much would just make him look an enemy to the people.

The note he left for Rexanna said:

My Love,
Find me at the edge of the Oasis as the sun is setting.
Let's have a picnic.
Bastien
(Please Read to Rexanna, whomever finds this.)

He knew she would be getting helped on her way home by somebody (such were the advantages of having such a well-loved wife) and hoped they may be kind enough to take her to him.

Of course, they couldn't taste to the extent they used to, but there was still something joyous in eating actual food, so Bastien had packed some pastries, some fruits, into a basket and set off to the Oasis with a blanket under his arm and the thought player bundled within.

By the time Rexanna arrived, he had laid out the blanket and had the player playing a light tune, one from a ballet he'd been to see what felt like decades ago. The basket resting in the middle of the blanket, his feet were just in the water as he looked over it's shining surface.

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Rexanna - 11-28-2019

Bastien hadn’t gone to the meeting – hadn’t gone to hear and see what had happened. But it didn’t bother her any – he had never been the type to seem like he’d find it worth his time, worth his while. And she didn’t blame him, other than the fact that well… It certainly mattered now. Clemente had been kind enough to bring her back home after the entire ordeal, and when they had returned had they seen the note. She’d had it read to her, packed what things she wanted to bring herself, and had him lead her there for the surprise, the picnic, and her news.

Bidding him goodbye, she makes her way to his location, listening for the player to gather the full location of where Bastien was, a bright, no, brilliant smile on her lips as she arrives and settles within the blanket. “[say]Bastien, I can’t see it but I know you’ve outdone yourself as usual.[/say]” She says lightly in greeting, crossing her legs beneath her, pushing her hair back from in front of her and tucking it behind her ears as she focuses on the things in the center, hands reaching out to feel for a basket, to feel for the edges of the blanket.

“[say]I have news from the meeting.[/say]” She says after a moment, quietly, contemplatively, wondering if perhaps he’d heard somehow and that’s how he’s chosen to have a picnic. Or perhaps, great timing.

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Bastien - 11-28-2019

Rexanna's voice drew Bastien's attention and he got to his feet to gently take her hand and guide her to the blanket, laughing at her compliment. [say]"For all you know, I could have used some leftover sack for a blanket and we could be eating stale bread."[/say] Though it would be rather obvious as her fingers touched the soft fabric that this was not true - as soon as she was sat down, Bastien slowly brought her fingers forward to touch the water, to make sure she knew how close it was. [say]"The water is so clear today. I can see the stones underneath at the edges."[/say]

He had assumed she would have news, would tell him all about the meeting anyway, so he just nodded, beginning to take things out of the basket. [say]"Ah yes. Tell me who yelled at who, who is angry about what, so on. I know there was some debate about Wessex remaining Queen, though somehow I predict she will have kept her crown...do fill me in."[/say]

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Rexanna - 11-28-2019

She feels him take her hand to guide her, hears him laugh at the compliment, and she scrunches her nose slightly as she squeezes his hand. “[say]Well, lucky for us even if the bread is stale we can’t taste it enough to tell.[/say]” She chides, laughing gently along with him – a tinkling tone to his baritone. As soon as they’re sat, however, he takes her hand to feel the water, and she dips her fingers into it gently with a soft smile on her lips. “[say]It sounds lovely, Bastien. You could paint it for me if you wanted to?[/say]” She suggests, knowing how busy he has been with the Voice’s portrait among other things, that if he wanted a small simple break perhaps he could find it here with the clear waters and the stones he can see.

But the news of the meeting takes precedence, and she waits, hand still trailing in the water as he pulls the items out of the basket, a soft snort leaving her pale face as he questions what occurred, who yelled at who, et cetera. “[say]Well, nobody really yelled. Wessex called a vote, of whether she should remain queen.[/say]” A brief pause, head tilting toward him. “[say]And if not, who should take her place. Then she left, and there were a majority of speeches. I suggested we vote in a council to represent all the parts of the Hollowed Grounds.[/say]” She pauses once more, smile softly cascading along her face.

“[say]Majority of the votes were for Wessex to step down. A majority of the votes were for a council.[/say]” Inhaling deeply despite not needing to, her smile grows a bit more soft, still surprised, still somewhat bewildered. “[say]They voted me as Queen to implement the council.[/say]”

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Bastien - 11-28-2019

[say]"That is true."[/say] He agreed, though of course it was not stale. Even if he couldn't taste it, he had standards. It was why he always made sure to get the best wine he could, the best blankets - not because it made too much of a difference to his Ascended body, but because he wanted to feel like he was living in luxury.

As for the view... [say]"I will. Though I am afraid you would not see it any sooner..."[/say] He said a little sadly, looking over to Rexanna's covered eyes, the absence of blue that he'd once taken for granted would always be there.

Bastien poured drinks in glasses that were far too fine for a picnic, glass and shaped into grapes around the stem, balanced precariously on the bumpy surface of the blanket. Gently, as Rexanna spoke, he pressed one of them to her hand, waiting to make sure she fully had ahold of it before letting go.

The surprise he had at hearing Wessex had stepped down would be obvious from the perplexed 'hm' sound he made, staring out over the water. She had seemed so invincible, Bastien had assumed she would simply be voted in again because no one could see another way to be. But it seemed Rexanna was not done with surprises -- his hands froze mid-setting out plates, eyes wide.

[say]"You..are...Queen....?"[/say] He asked, the words slow, not sure if he'd heard her correctly. [say]"Does...that...I...how? What will you be doing? And..d...does that make me King?"[/say]

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Rexanna - 11-29-2019

A knowing nod is given to Bastien when he agrees with her, amusement shifting in her lips as she agrees with him internally. Standards were still a thing for them even if they didn’t get to experience the most of it. And when she comments about the painting, of the clearness of the water, of seeing it with her eyes one day, she reaches to squeeze his hand. “[say]Soon, my love.[/say]” A quiet confidence striking through her words.

He pours the drinks next, ensuring she’s grasping hers, and she takes a light sip from it and lets it mull over her tongue to taste through the deadened senses with interest before she tells him her news. She waits for the ball to drop, the response, sad she can’t see the way it crosses his face, the way this man had gone from the opposite of authority, of ensuring everyone had a chance in Venice, to be married to the next queen interim in a different world.

What a wild time.

“[say]I am the current queen.[/say]” She replies easily, gracefully, fanged smile bright along her face. “[say]As for what that makes you, well, I suppose that makes you sort of like Remi was with Ronin as King.[/say]” She hums thoughtfully, though knowing it gave Bastien little power. He was more of a Queen’s Consort than true King. And she hopes he doesn’t mind too much. “[say]A queen’s consort, I think is the term. But… I want to make a council, and I want to see if they still want me to be the face of it. It may not last long.[/say]” She shrugs, taking another drink. “[say]I didn’t ask, didn’t offer for it… But I suppose I have friends that think I’d do a good enough job to get this far.[/say]” Despite being Ascended. Despite having no eyes.

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Bastien - 12-01-2019

[say]"Yes. You are right. I am sure you have it all in hand already."[/say] Bastien smiled, squeezing her hand back. [say]"If I can assist you at all in finding the items you need for your eyes, do tell me, dearest."[/say] He knew he was not the strongest person she knew, nor the fastest or even the smartest (at least as far as matters of Caido went); but he loved her more than anything in the world and would help any way he could.

He sipped his drink, staring out across the water as the dull taste reached his tongue. [say]"I do not want to be a King, so this is fine by me. It would be rather contradictory to my philosophies."[/say] Truthfully Rexanna being labelled 'queen' riled up against something in his heart, but knowing she was going to elect a council, that she was chosen by the people, that she was fair and good...he could not say it was a bad thing.

[say]"Of course they thought that, Rex. Who could not? If there was anyone to solve the problems of this place it would be you."[/say] He believed in her endlessly. [say]"Though you must be honest with me if it becomes too much. Such a generous soul can be burdened by taking on too many troubles that are not her own."[/say]

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Rexanna - 12-01-2019

“[say]Of course.[/say]” She tells him easily. Honestly, the reason she hasn’t asked him to help already is because he’d already done so much for her, helping guide her, hurting for her when she hurt, helped with everything around the house. He’d been absolutely perfect, and she hadn’t wanted to have him bear more of her burden. Hadn’t wanted him to worry over it again and again when he’d already done so much more than she could have imagined for her.

As he sips his drink and she explains what role that makes him, she sips from her own while he thinks on it. And she snorts in response, a wry smile crossing her face. “[say]Your students in Venice would be mighty surprised, I think.[/say]” What would they even think of that to begin with? Would they disown him, call him a traitor, or see if the fonnedthin makes any chance?

She slips her hand into the basket to pull out a small piece of bread, breaking it and offering him a piece as she listens to his confidence in her, striking something against that deep chord of her. She’d never truly gotten a chance to lead anyone, watched from behind the bars of a cart while they sacked her city. She had forsaken her crown there, had told the voice she didn’t request it, didn’t desire it, had mostly stopped talking about it at all unless it was relevant. But his faith in her ability brings a soft smile to her face.

“[say]I will try to.[/say]” She tells him, unable to lie to him when it came down to it. She absolutely would try, but Rexanna has always had issues separating her self sacrifice for the better good and truly living. And she’d suffered time and time again for it. But this time, for him and their small family, she’d try her best. “[say]But first, eyes.[/say]” She says with all the gusto that a wink would accompany, despite her inability to do so.

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Bastien - 12-02-2019

Bastien laughed as he thought of his students in Venice reacting to this news - first, that he was married, Bastien the great bohemian lover, who had rejected all appearance of commitment in favour for the shared lust of the commune; second that he was now a technical part of a royal family. He who had loudly and unapologetically had denounced any type of ancient authority, any kind of power derived from birthright.

But things changed, he supposed. Perhaps more than anything else, that was what he ought of have taught his students. That life had a way of altering everything around you and ultimately, you had to move with it.

He took the bread, dipping it in his wine (old habit, one he had to curb in polite society) and chewing as he looked out over the water, nodding to Rexanna's words. [say]"Yes, eyes first. And...ah. There is something I would like to discuss with you, love."[/say] Bastien sounded almost anxious, an unusual speed behind his words. [say]"You like Pittore, yes? Our new little friend in the studio?"[/say]

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Rexanna - 12-02-2019

There’s a smile that crosses her lips at Bastien’s laugh. She’s sure it’s something he’s never imagined for himself either. It wasn’t something she thought for herself, too, and yet here they were. What a strange life they lived indeed. Still, she starts to eat the bread in between her explanations, mentioning she’ll get her eyes soon, hopefully, before she focuses on him when he mentions there’s something he wished to talk about.

Usually it would instill some sort of anxiety deep within her, but she had none with Bastien. All she had was a deep set curiosity of what he wished to talk about. Her head lifts toward him, giving him as much attention as she can without being able to look for those beautiful brown eyes. He asks how she feels about Pittore, and she smiles widely with the question.

How did she feel? She loved the tiny creature like he was her own. “[say]Like is a bit of an understatement.[/say]” A chimed laugh accompanies her smile. “[say]I adore him. Why do you ask?[/say]” She tilts her head lightly, before taking a sip of her drink again.

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Bastien - 12-04-2019

Rexanna's response was encouraging for what he had to ask. Bastien nodded, dipped his bread again and took a bite before he had the courage to take a breath and speak. [say]"Well. I know with his relative independence and so on, he is not quite the same. However, since his arrival...I have not been able to tear my mind from the notion of children. Especially since I saw you give him your craft - it was so sweet, the way you two immediately bonded."[/say] With a sigh more confused than solemn, he shook his head.

[say]"I have never thought I would have children nor desire them. I often used to say my art was my child or indeed my students; now that is beginning to change. Perhaps because I have found someone I would want to raise a child with."[/say] With a smile he went to hold her hand, stroked his thumb along her knuckles. [say]"It is some kind of magical quality you possess. I never thought I would be married, yet here I am."[/say] Really, it was just love and he knew that, but it still made him chuckle that Rexanna had so swiftly reconstructed his world view just by being herself.

Though he was aware this was not just about his changing thoughts and wants. [say]"Of course, there are difficulties with our physical ability to have children now, but The Voice has told me she would help us find a solution to the problem. Whether that would involve an actual pregnancy, I do not know..."[/say] He suspected probably not, unless there was a reason the child needed to develop in a womb - it seemed The Voice could just take some of him and some of Rexanna and create a child, though he was not sure if he was overestimating her power with that assumption.

[say]"Also...I am aware that children and having them is...a complicated topic for you, love. Given the past. And that is why I bring this up now, the way I have - to explain all my thoughts and coming to this, and to let you see it and feel free to turn it away. If you do not wish it for our futures, it shall never be mentioned again. I will be content with you and my work and Pittore. What do you think?"[/say] He asked, genuinely unsure what her response would be.

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Rexanna - 12-04-2019

She waits for his response, patiently, as it seems like he has to gather the courage for it. Ands he doesn’t entirely expect it, if she’s being honest? She pauses in her sipping of her drink, in the nibbling of the bread, to give him her full attention. And my how much Caido has changed him. He continues to explain, soft sighs here and there, she can almost feel the anxiety radiating off of him with all of the explanations he gives, but she appreciates it more than he realizes.

Her lips curl gently into a soft smile as she listens, snorting lightly. “[say]I suppose I’m guilty of that.[/say]” She offers, teasing, playful, light, in response to his admission that it’s a quality she possesses. She had likely thought they wouldn’t cross paths on that idea, that there were certain things they needed to compromise on. And she had just assumed that would be one of them, despite Bastien’s previous question to the Voice about if it were possible. It wouldn’t be the same, she wouldn’t grow the child, but it would still be them.

He grasps her hands and she squeezes his hand gently, waiting for him to finish, nodding along with all the points he brings up. “[say]It is a complicated topic…[/say]” She hums thoughtfully, but her smile radiates from her as she squeezes his hand again, scooting closer along the blanket toward him to pull him into a tight hug, to rest her head along his collarbone. “[say]But there’s nobody else I would want to try it with. You mentioned there might be a way if we talk to the Voice about it?[/say]” She questions, needing a slight refresher since she hadn’t been at that meeting.

But then, looking up, she thinks for a brief moment. “[say]I would like to wait a bit before… At least until everything with the Ascended versus the World calms down. If we do this, I want a safe place to raise our family.[/say]” That’s the only issue she has. She so badly wants it, so badly wants to have a family with him, to teach the arts and dote on and care for, but she doesn’t want to do it until they no longer are under fire from every pair of eyes.

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Bastien - 12-04-2019

Rexanna squeezed his hand and pulled him into a hug which Bastien readily returned, though he was not sure if it was celebratory or consolatory. Still, he stroked her hair as he always did, held her close as he listened to what she had to say. [say]"I think so. She did not tell me in detail, but she told me we could discuss it if needed and she could find a way. Obviously if it involves something we do not want to do, we will refrain."[/say] Not that he could think of anything right now, but life had a way of surprising him.

As she looked up he leaned back so they could be eye to eye and nodded. As much as he was not a man of great patience, wanted to begin as soon as they could, she was right. Besides, this would only work when they both wanted it as much as they possibly could. [say]"Yes, you are right. Perhaps...we could ask The Voice about it sooner though, so we know what it will entail when we are ready."[/say]

There was something he was curious about. [say]"If...she can somehow allow us to do it the traditional way, would you like to be pregnant? Or would you prefer if she has some way to do it outside of us?"[/say]

RE: Honey, I Can't Keep Up - Rexanna - 12-04-2019

He strokes her hair, and she leans into his touch gently, listening as he refreshes her mind as to what the Voice had said. Something about making it a combination, of it being too much and how they would refrain. But much like Bastien, she couldn’t think of a reason that would stop them. To have and cherish a child of the two of them, to do the opposite of what she’d done in Helovia? It was like a dream come true.

She can feel him adjust to look at her as she aims her face up to him, smiling softly, beaming with the results of his agreement. “[say]I’m sure… If there’s a way, it’ll be like getting my eyes. We may have tasks to do. But we could certainly ask.[/say]” There was no harming in asking, and no saying it needed to occur that day. But information for the future, for when they’re ready, when life had calmed down and they could thrive with the beauty of what was to come.

The comment of somehow allowing it to be done the traditional way gives her some pause, and she contemplates it. Things would be different, she wouldn’t be abused and starved during the pregnancy, she could care for herself and be doted on by an incredibly loving husband… All opposites of what she had before. “[say]The Voice said I could never bear children again. But I suppose if there’s a way to try it, I would like to at least try?[/say]” She muses quietly, leaning into him further, hands squeezing his own as she settles.