Court of the Fallen
[PQ] Deck the Halls - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [PQ] Deck the Halls (/showthread.php?tid=2345)

Deck the Halls - Jigano - 12-13-2019

The Artists and the Artisans had stalls for Fiat Lux, so it only made sense for the Loreseekers to make one as well. Their work tended to be quieter and less locally exciting than that of the MHG or Militia, and less physically visible than work from the Artists and Artisans, and attrition over the past year had made it clear that they needed more recruits to keep going. There was a whole new region to explore, the Greatwood reopened, and plenty of mysteries in the Hollowed Grounds to continue investigating, and with so few active members they could only do so much at a time.

So Jigano had sent out a notice to his intrepid colleagues to join him in preparing a stall for their Guild, to get the word out and see if they couldn’t draw a few more fresh, curious faces to their Hall.

Thanks to the initial festival prep there was already a shell of a stall, but it would need some work before it was ready for their guild to move in and start the festivities. Jigano set down another load of supplies and wiped his brow against the warmth of the day. It was cloudy and humid, but the rain looked to be holding off for a bit, and he was hoping to get the final repairs and setup finished before the sky changed its mind. He leaned against the front counter of the stall while he waited for others to arrive, looking out over the other preparations underway all around him as various vendors got their own stalls in working order for the big day(s).

This is a Loreseekers PQ to get their stall ready for Fiat Lux and try to draw in some new recruits! Loreseekers have first dibs (24 hours) on spots, please.

1. Loren
2. Deimos

RE: Deck the Halls - Loren - 12-13-2019

At this point, it should come as no surprise to anyone that Loren was showing up to help out with Fiat Lux preparations. That was especially true in this case, given that he’d already agreed to help his newest organization out with running the stall. So when he’d seen the notice, he’d chuckled and shook his head.

But he’d shown up.

Jigano was there already, and the summoner gave the bard a cheerful smile. [say]”I’m always happy to help, but for the love of Frey please tell me this is the last of the Fiat Lux preparations. At this point I don’t know if I’ll even be able to enjoy the festival. I might just be too worried about one of the countless stalls I constructed collapsing on people.”[/say] However, his tone indicated that he didn’t mind being there at all.

RE: Deck the Halls - Deimos - 12-15-2019

After hauling out specific wares, organizing stall layouts, contemplating whether or not to bring the catapult into the festival grounds (still hemming and hawing on the potential for mayhem, versus if potentially piercing someone in the eye with a flower crown was a good bet), when he saw familiar outlines. The Loreseekers must’ve been setting up their own kiosks, perhaps eager and ready to impart wisdom and sagacity into the fold, the hustle and bustle of ongoing crowds, or actively recruiting others to take part in their thirst for knowledge. Considering how often they all seemed to help one another, it was only a given that the Sword’s movements, footsteps, and ground-sweeping stride maneuvered him to their base.

He hadn’t heard Loren’s complaints, eternally willing, fervent, and ready to place himself into work – determination, fortitude, and conviction in action, rather than constant discussion. “Jigano, Loren,” he nodded in turn, bag of holding over his shoulder, in case any items were required. His gaze wandered over the already laden ramparts. “Anything I can assist with?”

RE: Deck the Halls - Jigano - 12-16-2019

"The last that I have planned," Jigano reassured Loren with a wry grin. "Though I'm sure if we look hard enough we can find some more to do!" Wasn't there always more to be done, no matter the season? And never enough time to do it all!

Deimos arrived shortly thereafter, and since no other loreseekers had answered the call, Jigano waved gladly towards the Artisan's approach, laughter in his eyes as he looked at the Trio of Trouble that they had somehow become this season. Troubleshooters and problem solvers, mostly... but none of them was completely innocent of trouble making from time to time. He still hoped to see the catapult make an appearance, but for the moment he had his own guild to worry about.

"Thank you both for lending a hand. I've got a few things that need to be done to get the guild's stall up and running, but between the three of us, hopefully it won't take too long." He grinned, giving a deep nod of gratitude to both of the effective and accomplished men who had joined him. "First we need to get the stall set up. I was thinking of making it a place to learn a little," he explained, gesturing to the somewhat rickety little shelter he had claimed for the guild. He patted it fondly, and the slight vibrations sent a crack through a hidden warp in the wood, causing the counter to sag and swing free. He looked at it in dismay before clearing his throat. "Ah... also, fixing that. I'm going to grow some trees at the corners to anchor it and serve as an example of useful local flora. Can one of you paint a backdrop with the tracks of the dangerous animals in the Outskirts? While the other fixes the counter?" The long roll of canvas and some paints and pans for them were nearby, along with a hammer and nails.

One person needs to fix the counter, and one person needs to paint the backdrop with tracks of dangerous local fauna. Pick your poison and get the tasks underway!

No posting order!

RE: Deck the Halls - Deimos - 12-16-2019

Normally suited to the more physical tasks, Deimos tilted his head at the possibilities. Perhaps it would be nice to venture away from construction, since that was all he’d seemingly done lately, and he couldn’t grow trees (presuming that’d be Jigano’s role), so he meandered over to the canvas. Hadn’t the Loreseeker thought the Sword an artist? That'd likely be taken back within a moment of his showcased "talent". With a snort, the beast proclaimed his designation. “I can paint.” There was a glimmer of a smirk embedded along the corners of his lips, before he slipped into his eagle form, dipping his talons into different paints and pans, and then gloriously following through on mischief with a range of hued tracks across the would-be backdrop. On occasion he drifted and glided, to achieve some sliding stances where claws stretched and reached, before altering to his tiger frame too. Big paws melded into more colors, placed in ruffian, rogue machinations with no actual set course or path, as if the predators had been marching along in pure chaos. Thoroughly diverted, he’d stomp occasionally on it too, deeper insets and framework assignations into the tapestry; a fine work of mayhem thereafter.

RE: Deck the Halls - Loren - 12-16-2019

Snorting at Jigano’s comment, Loren shook his head. [say]”No no. I’m good.”[/say] The summoner shot the bard a half-amused, half-resigned look. [say]”I have no doubt I won’t actually have to go looking for work. It seems to have a nasty habit of finding me. And if it doesn't I have a nastier habit of making it for myself.”[/say]

As Deimos arrived, Loren let out a little huff of laughter. However, he smiled at the General to let Deimos know the summoner was just amused. [say]”If we’re going to keep meeting like this, we should come up with a name. Hybrid dream team? Militia plus one? The bard and the boys?”[/say] His tone was joyfully teasing.

Settling into a more serious posture, the summoner nodded at the white-haired man’s instructions. Grinning briefly as Deimos immediately went to go off to paint, Loren tilted his head. [say]”Guess I’m on counter duty. At least it’ll get me ready for manning the stall.”[/say] Walking over, he examined the damaged wood briefly.

It was still attached on one side, so he shifted his fingers to claws to cut it away. Then he shifted fully back and retrieved another length of wood to serve as a new counter. Although he tried to use his telekinesis to hammer them in, the wood proved too stubborn (or his control too shitty). So he poked small holes to keep the nails in place while he hammered using his claws, then went back to the old fashioned method of hammering it into place using his actual hands.

RE: Deck the Halls - Jigano - 12-16-2019

”I’ve offered to be a militia medic,” he corrected Loren cheerfully. ”Though I think you already have that covered, so I might not be very useful after all. Perhaps they could call us ‘the handymen?” he suggested with a sly smile for Deimos.

Jigano considered the corners of the stall for a moment before planting his seeds carefully. At the front of the booth he planted two seeds for peppermint bark trees, far enough away so that they had room to grow, but near enough that he could anchor the stall to them. Two more trees, one with pears and one with apples, were grown at the back of the stall. It took time to get the trees tall enough to stretch above the stall; time in which his loyal companions undertook their own endeavors.

Deimos sort of missed the point of what Jigano had asked for; the bard had requested the tracks of things like wolves, bears, and banshees, to help newcomers – Outlanders and Halovians alike – identify potential trouble if they were out in the woodlands. Still, the General managed to create a colorful canvas with clear paw-and-claw prints in a multitude of hues, an artistic endeavor that was a little unorthodox but full of joy and life nonetheless. Jigano glanced over a few times, but the usually-stoic General looked so happy to be creating something that had nothing to do with destruction that he didn’t have the heart to ask him to redo it.

Loren also took an unorthodox approach to his task, attempting to eschew tools in favor of claws, but unexpectedly his mix of talons, telekinesis, and tools proved exceptionally effective. The new board was attached firmly and without any of the usual problems that accompanied such tasks: no termites had undermined the wood, the nails didn’t bend as he hammered them in, and the stall itself was still in good shape where the two boards connected. It was a Channukah Fiat Lux miracle!

As they all finished up their initial tasks, Jigano looked at the other men and grinned. ”Excellent job. We should be able to draw quite a bit of interest with all of this! And while some of the time will be spent in tales and histories, I thought we could also host a riddle game for the kids and those looking for something a bit more interactive and fun. But we’ll need to come up with some riddles, so Loren has a bit of variety to choose from. Let’s each do two riddles each, and try to make them a mix of easy and harder, for different ages. Preferably ones that have to do with life on Caido.”

Two riddles! They can be ones you make on your own, or ones you’ve heard before. Try to make them relevant to Caido flora/fauna/events/items if you can!

No posting order!

RE: Deck the Halls - Deimos - 12-17-2019

Deimos arched his brow at the potential collection of names and qualities amongst their assembled, shaking his head at the notions, parting a snort along his tiger intervals, the coil of claws. After his initial amusement and tidings into the canvas, he ceased some contortion of menace and melee, settling some other adorned claw marks of likely, other creatures nestled in the corners, as if they were hidden, concealed, requiring clues and sleuthing properties to find them. Unaware he hadn’t followed any of Jigano’s directions (and frankly, in all his diversion and entertainment, fur now coated in an assemblage of spots, dribbles, and stains, he likely wouldn't have cared), the beast was content to place a few more distinct layers of monsters and brutality, before his glance caught the counter’s manifestations, the tasks moving and maneuvering on.

Riddles. He resumed his feline prowess, prowling along the canvas while he contemplated the art and designation of something not even remotely violent, vindictive, or vicious. New territory brandished and explored, his mind churning, before giving over anything along the attuned bond. ”Light as a feather, there is nothing in it, but the strongest man cannot hold it much longer than a minute.” Then he brooded and brewed some more, pondering and prevailing into harder depths, maybe to make this one actually Caido related. ”What recalls but has no mind?” Maybe that would be enough.

RE: Deck the Halls - Loren - 12-17-2019

Laughing openly at the look on Deimos’ face and at Jigano’s suggestion, Loren decided to keep going. [say]”From what I’ve heard, Deimos makes a mean ring box and I make a mean menu, and you’re obviously the entertainment, Jigano. So I personally think they should call us the wedding planners.”[/say] It was complete nonsense and the summoner’s voice was gleeful.

Thankfully, the Launceleyn’s mishmash of methods did the trick. He grinned at his handiwork. However it faded as the bard assigned the next task. Biting his lip, Loren ran a hand through his hair. The he scribbled down the first two things that came to mind and folded the paper in half, passing it along to the white-haired man for review also known as a DM. The summoner watched Jigano carefully to see what he thought of the riddles.

RE: Deck the Halls - Jigano - 12-17-2019

Deimos seemed unimpressed (or maybe he was just putting up a front, lest his smiles become too dangerously common) but Jigano enjoyed the banter - right up until the mention of 'wedding planners.' He slanted a wry glance towards the General, recalling their recent conversation, but let the joking lapse as they all went about their tasks.

Tasks which, when completed, allowed for the making of riddles for the game Loren had offered to host. He listened to Deimos 's offerings and nodded pleased approval. "The second is exactly what I'm looking for. The first is good, too. We can definitely use them both.  Thank you."

He then turned to read Loren 's handwritten queries. "They can move, they just tend to do it when people aren't looking," he murmured, pointing to the first one. "The second one is perfect!"

As for his own? He hummed a moment in thought before composing his mind for what he sought.
" I rise up when most men fall
To break my fast ‘neath Safrin’s eye
And though I’ve no concert hall
My quiet song oft fills the sky.”

Inspired by some recent songs he’d heard, the bard grinned and recited for Loren:
”I am made, but not by man.
I cannot be eaten, but what's inside me can.
I am not just a home, for I'm also a palace.
But disturb me not, or you shall feel my malice.”

He wrote down the additional riddles and passed them to Loren for the game later, and at last he looked around, gesturing to the remaining materials and items with a grin. ”The last thing we need to entice people to come and see what we have to offer, is to have something to offer! Some prizes for the riddle game; something small but memorable, ideally. It’s Fiat Lux so it doesn’t have to be anything too fancy – it should just be fun. Let’s try to make a few different things for people to choose from!” He had an idea of his own from last year’s party, and he found a clear space nearby to begin growing a patch of vibrantly colored flowers that h could weave into plaits and crowns.

Almost done! Come up with some little prizes for the riddle game – whatever you can imagine and create with your magic or with the supplies on hand!

No posting order

RE: Deck the Halls - Loren - 12-17-2019

Apparently, the wedding planners was a step too far, but Loren just shrugged and grin. The silence from Deimos was expected, but the summoner accepted the silence from Jigano as well. The Launceleyn nodded and made the suggested edit, then collected all the riddles. Then, however, the bard asked for prizes.

Loren bit his lip as he considered the supplies on hand. Then his brow furrowed, and a series of small pieces of jewelry appeared in his palm: a necklace with an open book as the decoration, a bracelet that was shaped as a rolled up scroll, a ring that had letters on it, and two earrings that resembled blank pieces of parchment. Holding them out for the white-haired man, the summoner tilted his head. [say]”Will these do? I can make something else once my magic recharges. Or I can carve something, whatever you’d like.”[/say]

RE: Deck the Halls - Deimos - 12-17-2019

Deimos eventually shifted back to human form, awaiting the next set of tasks, the banter still rambling and surrounding him, despite not being an active participant in its fold. More wedding planner amusements; granting the arch of a brow and not much else – eyes sliding slightly over to Jigano in a dead-pan stare, giving away naught. He wasn’t sure even how to react in his bizarre renown for wedding planning and ring box construction.  

At least he could occupy himself with prizes for this oncoming gathering and contest, settling within something habitual, something tangible. Creation and contortion pooled along his hands, familiar and forthright in their purposes, assembling, whittling, and sculpting away various ministrations and objects, perceiving the upcoming season as a method to the variety piling before him. Some were common items he’d always manage to make at the drop of a hat: stilettos, daggers, a few knives, cut little details into their helms and handles (a dragon here, a giant there, ice and fire burned into one of the other sanctions). Others were based on summer’s incoming precision: tinted glasses, darker shades to shield and protect eyes from the sun, and a variety of satchels and bags of different heights and weight-bearing abilities, stitching pristine and precise, some pockets etched with pictures or battle scenes. Upon completion, he lingered with them in his grasp, waiting for either approval or disregard.

RE: Deck the Halls - Jigano - 12-18-2019

Jigano had begun working steadily away, weaving together flowers and fronds for Fiat Lux finery when his two creation-magic blessed friends held up their designs, completed in the blink of an eye (well, five blinks) with the ease of those awash in very talents that were more efficient than sentimental. He looked in bemusement between the prizes the two men had concocted and nodded with pleasure at Loren's offerings. They had been called into being with a care for what they represented and the Guild whose both they would grace; a reminder for the winners to take with them of the Loreseekers whose riddles they had solved - and who they might wish to return to someday, to join as full members.

Deimo's items were greater in number and variety, but had little to do with either the guild or the theme of Loreseeking unless one tilted their head and squinted. They were impeccably made, clearly sturdy, and wonderful examples of what the Artisan's could do... but less so of the Loreseekers or, just as important for the festival, toys or trinkets for children. Jigano looked over them with a quietly thoughtful expression before he nodded, giving the General a smile. In the end he didn't have the heart to turn the gifts away; not only would it be ungracious, but Deimos had done much outside his comfort zone in helping with the stall - art and riddles in particular - and Jigano wanted to keep encouraging the military man to find hidden talents.

"They're all wonderful, thank you both," he said with sincere gratitude. "Thanks to you we'll have things up and running in time for the party to start! I'm going to finish making the flower crowns - we can use those as prizes for those who give it a try but don't win one of your nicer things," he decided with a chuckle. "So you two can go get some rest before the festivities begin. I look forward to seeing you there!"

This concludes the Loreseeker Stall setup PQ! Thank you for participating!

FINISHED