Court of the Fallen
everyone looks worse in the light (open) - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: everyone looks worse in the light (open) (/showthread.php?tid=2355)

Pages: 1 2 3

everyone looks worse in the light (open) - Remi - 12-13-2019

One might have thought Remi might have begun the proper construction of his wagon in his shop or in the Artisan's Guild, but what he really needed was space. And so it was that he found himself accompanied by Isla into the heart of the fields where his mad alchemy wouldn't bother anyone. That was the hope, anyways.

With various schematics and notes scattered about him (some desperately trying to fly away on the breeze), Remi knelt in the tall grasses at one with nature and completely lost in his own thoughts. The earth had shifted to lay flat for him and small earthen holds and pillars had sprung up all around to hold the various pieces of the would-be wagon in place.

Isla watched all this with an amused pebble-blue stare, lending a hand (or hoof) where she could, but for the most part the former healer was content merely to graze while Remi hummed some long forgotten memory.

RE: everyone looks worse in the light (open) - Loren - 12-14-2019

Loren had discovered a new shift within himself. It had happened rather unexpectedly: something had fallen over in the Manor, and he’d been startled into shifting. Except this time, instead of taking on the form of a honey badger, he’d turned into a goose.

That would’ve been cool, except every effort he’d made to fly had failed spectacularly. So he’d come out to the fields to see if he could use the small trees in the windbreak there to help get some altitude. He’d arrived as a honey badger, Astra at his side, and climbed up the saplings. Then he’d shifted to a goose and flung himself off, flapping his wings frantically.

And plummeted to the ground with a distressed honk.

The honking turned into a snarl as he shifted and climbed the sapling again. And tossed himself off. Again. And again. And again, the honking and snarling growing louder and louder. Astra had watched him with increasingly distressed eyes, unsure what her companion was doing, but very concerned by his behavior. The summoner knew he was projected his annoyance to her, and he wasn't being careful about where his thoughts were going.

RE: everyone looks worse in the light (open) - Remi - 12-18-2019

So engrossed in what he was doing, Remi hardly heard the sound of the flailing goose. It wasn't an egregiously uncommon sound after all; not enough to tug the distracted alchemist's attention away from what he was working on.

The wave of annoyance however? Oh, that got his attention.

Looking up with a frown, Remi rubbed subconsciously at his chest leaving smears of grease on his shirt. Frustration such as he felt now was not terribly common for Remi, and it was as if it was a palpable weight just below his collar bone that he might be able to rub off with enough effort. Isla too had raised her head, but only because of the scent of the luxere. Giving Astra a pebble-blue stare, the unicorn pulsed a soft chord of indifference. Given her presence, I would say Loren is failing to attune to his new shift. The former-healer said. [say]"Oh, look who's funny."[/say] Remi chuckled back.

Rising from his project and shoving his hands in his pockets as he made his way over to the fallen goose, Remi halted a few paces away brows softly raised. [say]Loren?[/say] He asked uncertainly of the creature.

RE: everyone looks worse in the light (open) - Loren - 12-18-2019

Astra was definitely not indifferent. As soon as the luxere spotted Isla, Astra bounded over to the unicorn, attempting to nuzzle against her. The joy filtering through the luxere's bond with Loren broke through his annoyance, though it still simmered under the surface.

As Remi approached, however, the summoner fluffed up his feathers and fixed his eyes on the alchemist's face. [say]Yes. It's me.[/say] The thoughts were short and clipped.

With the mental equivalent of a sigh, the Launceleyn did his best to push his grumpiness aside and project calm and warmth instead. He wasn't entirely successful. [say]How are you? And what brings you out to the Fields?[/say] Peering around the other man, Loren took in the equipment and setup that was almost certainly Remi's handiwork.

RE: everyone looks worse in the light (open) - Remi - 12-19-2019

Surprised by this act of affection, the larger creature flared her nostrils as she tilted her head towards the small creature, nuzzling along her shoulder whilst being mindful of her horn.

Raising a brow at the summoner's tone, Remi pursed his lips slightly in a paradigmatic okay then expression. Just as he was about to nod a goodbye to the disgruntled creature, he felt Loren tried to get himself under control and was stayed by the effort.

[say]"Wagon building. I needed the space."[/say] He explained with a sheepish grin, looking over his shoulder at the sort-of assembled wagon, before glancing back to the goose. [say]"Is this new?"[/say] Remi asked, nodding towards Loren's new body.

RE: everyone looks worse in the light (open) - Loren - 12-19-2019

That small gesture of affection was all Astra needed to decide that she and Isla were fast friends. The luxere pressed herself against the unicorn’s side, practically quivering with excitement. The sight of that, plus the joy emanating from Astra, was enough to banish the lingering frustration lurking in the depths of Loren’s mind.

In response to Remi's comment, the summoner sent a pulse of understanding and encouragement. [say]How's it going?[/say] From where he was standing, the alchemist had a long way to go, but then again the Launceleyn had proven totally useless on the wagon front.

Feeling amusement bubble up, he fluffed his feathers. [say]Very new. And very unintuitive.[/say] Unlike the honey badger, which had seemed to come like a second skin (which, in a way, it was) the goose didn't feel natural to Loren.

The dark pelted unicorn with the softly glowing pale luxere at her side were quite the sight to see, though Remi was still looking skeptically down at the goose, who seemed and felt to be growing less hostile with each passing second.

[say]"It...well. I have never built a magical wagon before."[/say] Remi said with a chuckle, running a hand back-to-front through his curls with a boyish shrug. [say]"So I am doing it in stages. I have not solved the problem of how to get it through portals though...Ronin thinks perhaps we ought to just ask Safrin."[/say]

Chuckling slightly, Remi knelt down to be closer to eye-level with the goose. [say]"Mmm, your flying certainly seemed to be going very well."[/say] He agreed with a grin. [say]"Though if I could offer just one suggestion, jumping out of a tree is not the best way to learn to fly. Your muscles are not strong enough yet to force yourself into flight given the pull of gravity. Better to start from the ground."[/say]

Loren probably shouldn’t have teased Remi, but the summoner couldn’t help it from spilling out through the bond. [say]Well I gave you my best advice already. You’re on your own. Have you, I don’t know, tried to take a regular wagon through, see what happens?[/say] The amusement was apparent and probably misplaced, and he made sure to follow it up with another wave of apology, encouragement, and comfort. [say]Safrin’s probably the better choice, but if there’s anything I can do, again, let me know.[/say]

A small burst of exasperation welled up, and before he knew it, his body had taken over. He tried to peck at the other man's leg. As soon as Loren realized what he was doing, however, mortification rose up. [say]Sorry! I am so sorry. Still getting the hang of these instincts.[/say] He was truly contrite, and he forced himself to back off and look. [say] I tried that at first, but couldn't seem to get off the ground.[/say] His feathers lay flat and he looked smaller, which matched the shame radiating out of him.

Rolling his eyes, Remi shook his head. [say]"Oh sure. Get a full-sized wagon down the stairs into the Spire? Through that small door? And up over the well or whatever it is?"[/say]

Nodding appreciatively at Loren's continued offer of assistance, the alchemist shrugged again. [say]"I think if anyone knows the simplest way to enchant something, it might be someone with a far greater understanding of magic."[/say] So he thought anyways. Safrin might just as quickly tell he and Ronin to fuck off back to their home and dismantle their plans of leaving.

Not the most instinctive of attuned's (something he was proud of, given how hostile nearly all of his shifts were), the goose was able to pinch through the fabric of his pants quite hard, before Loren stilled himself. In response feathers mixed with tawny leonine fluffs of hair bristled in Remi's curls, and the alchemist had to bite back on the growl forming in his throat. Rubbing at the spot and offering the summoner a forgiving smile, the alchemist merely chuckled. [say]"You were probably over thinking it. Would you care for some help?"[/say]

Again, though Loren tried his best, he couldn’t help but be bemused by Remi’s predicament. [say]Well. You could turn the stairs into a ramp, widen the doorway, and build another ramp up to the portal over the well. You have the magic for that.[/say] The summoner’s thoughts were cheerful. [say]Or you could just go to the Mathair and bypass the Spire entirely, now that the Greatwood is open again.[/say] Honestly, he was surprised that the alchemist hadn’t thought of that.

Still, the Launceleyn made sure he sent agreement through the bond. [say]I hope you find that enchanter. And if you do, let me know. I’d love to pick their brains.[/say] Indeed, even the thought of finding someone more knowledgeable about magic filled him with an unquenchable curiosity (and a small amount of jealousy). However, at that point a thought occurred to him. [say]Actually. Have you spoken to any of the demi-gods other than Ronin? They know a lot more than anyone I’ve ever met about Caido and magic.[/say]

Loren continued to studiously stare at anywhere but the other man. However, at Remi’s offer to help, the summoner’s gaze shot back. [say]I would but...really? Are you sure?[/say] The Launceleyn’s surprise and gratitude was apparent.

Running a hand up the side of an unshaven cheek, the alchemist huffed a sound of bemusement. [say]"Oh I will just magic everything around me to suit my needs?"[/say] The fact that he could was perhaps just as shocking as the suggestion that he ought to. Jokingly offered though it was. [say]"I could yes, and what about after that? All the other portals? What if one day I come out of one entirely stuck?"[/say] he countered; oh Remi had thought ahead. Much farther than Loren, it would seem.

[say]"Will do. Though I am sure the gods would be just as able to tell you. The Voice, too from what I have heard."[/say] In response to this, the alchemist shook his head no. [say]"I have not. Though I have heard that there are a few now. One that lives in the Greatwood, and the three here. Well, two not counting Ronin."[/say]

Unsure where Loren's surprise stemmed from—the alchemist was normally want to assist others where and when he could—he gave the goose an immediate nod. As he did so, Remi shrunk down to a size smaller than Loren currently was. But size wasn't everything. Fanning his wings from his sides, Remi turned himself into the breeze. He didn't do anything other than let the air ruffle his feathers, tilting his wings this way and that to maximize the airflow beneath his plumage. [say]Now you. And as much as you can, don't think. Your instincts will take over if you let them—[/say] Which based on the bite rapidly bruising on Remi's leg, Loren was capable of doing.

Loren’s response was equal parts amused and encouraging. [say]You will![/say] Although Remi still might not be used to that lifestyle, it was clear how much the summoner accepted it. [say]Though I’d submit that other people are going to want to move wagons through the Spire, so you’d be doing everyone a favor.[/say]

As the alchemist raised further objections, the Launceleyn found himself growing cheerfully argumentative. [say]Then before you send the wagon through, you send your husband’s duplicate thingy through the portal first to check if it’s safe on the other side. Or check yourself. Might be a good idea to do that regardless, because when I stepped through I was greeted by a company of soldiers.[/say] He was probably surprisingly okay with that fact.

A slightly concerned and annoyed feeling coursed through him for the briefest moment before he calmed himself again. [say]I think the gods are sick of my questions for the time being.[/say] He wasn’t scared, per se, just stating a fact. [say]And there are three of them other than Ronin, yes. One daughter of Mort, Delphia, who lives in the Greatwood and twin children of Rae, Kai and Oia’i’o, who are here to observe the Hollowed Grounds. They know more about Caido and its magics than anyone except the gods.[/say] Considering the number of times he’d met the three, the Launceleyn wasn’t self-conscious about that. It helped that he was amused by their inability to act in normal settings.

Then he put all that out of his mind. Instead, he focused on his breathing and his body, letting his mind drift. His wings fluttered and shuffled, and he shifted his feet seemingly aimlessly, but actually letting the wind move him.

[say]"Surely it is not up to me to make those decisions though?"[/say] The alchemist asked, almost nervously. To think he'd go around simply changing things, as if the things in this world ought to bend to his needs?

Giving Loren a fleeting look of surprise—wondering how he knew of Ronin's astral form—the alchemist merely nodded with a grin. [say]"That might say more about you though. Last I remember your first foray into the Greatwoods found you with spears at your throat as well."[/say] He pointed out with a chuckle.

Saying nothing about the gods take on the Launceleyn—he and Frey seemed fairly close by the summoner's accounts—Remi's brows knit together to hear such a bold claim made. [say]"Oh?"[/say] He thought the fae knew quite a bit about the world and its magics as well; it seemed much more likely that the demi-gods knowledge came from simply being part of the world. To Remi, anyways.

[say]Think as little as you can. You do not actually need much of a running start, but it helps to create the lift that you need. It takes more muscle strength to take off from a stand still.[/say] So saying, the hawk took a few buoyant steps forward, his wings pulsing downwards with each stride. Pressing down and then leaping up, his wings propelled him forwards and then up, as he banked smoothly around.

Fluffing his feathers, Loren stared up at Remi. [say]Why not?[/say] There was a simple confusion in the summoner’s mind. [say]Can you think of any downsides?[/say]

Letting out an amused honk, he pulsed joy towards the alchemist. [say]Fair enough. I do have that effect on people. I’m curious, though, did you fare better in your first foray into the Greatwood? Did anyone?[/say] Again, there was a genuine hunger for that knowledge, although the Launceleyn worried a bit about bringing up all the time he’d missed.

At least he was quite certain of his analysis of the demi-gods, and made sure the other man knew that as well. [say]Oh.[/say] However, the certainty drifted away as Loren watched Remi take off. [say]Here goes nothing,[/say] the summoner thought, forgetting for a moment that the alchemist could hear it. Then he waddled forward as quickly as he could, wings flapping powerfully, if not elegantly.

Then he jumped. He wobbled in the air for a moment before he stopped thinking and worrying and just let his body take over. His wings began pumping more steadily, and while his flight was far from smooth, he was at least staying airborne this time. Delight at his accomplishment and at his flight spread through every corner of his mind (not least because it seemed, in this form at least, that his fear of heights had been cured).