Court of the Fallen
the scales never tipped in our favor - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: the scales never tipped in our favor (/showthread.php?tid=2360)

the scales never tipped in our favor - Amalia - 12-16-2019

It feels strange, not to find Remi at the artisan's guild. Not that she is not proud of Deimos for his leadership of the place, but a part of her has come to equate the hall and the curly haired alchemist, his notes strewn over tables and chairs, Aoife's handiwork scattered within. Amalia has not seen her friend since Long Night ended, except to discuss the stressful business of guarding portals; is he well, and Ronin, in the loss of their home? A twinge of guilt grips her for not checking earlier, but they have both been busy.

And she is here today.

She pushes the door to the shop open slowly, dark eyes taking in the countless items that litter the shelves. Amalia has never been in the Alchemist's shop before, but it reminds her a little of Evie's, and she cannot help her fascination with the wares and wonders within. Behind her Jyoti trills a curious note, swimming up to investigate a spinning object on the ceiling.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Remi - 12-23-2019

It is not unlike Evie's shop, though hers has far more things that are alive than his does. Both are lined with any number of confusing and wonderfully strange contraptions though. With a dusty warm atmosphere and a fire crackling merrily somewhere in the back, the tinkling bell that chimes as Amalia opens the door is all the call Remi needs to pop his head up from behind the counter in the back of teh shop.

As Jyoti nears the spinning device above, the scent of lilac suddenly fills the space, spurting out in a warm cloud. Once he'd used motion-detection for the creation of weapons. Now, he preferred to use it for much homier creations.

[say]"Hay."[/say] Remi called, wiping paint from his hands on a cloth as he moved out from behind the counter to greet Amalia.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Amalia - 12-26-2019

Taken aback by the sudden cloud of lilac, Jyoti emits a strangely musical sneeze, causing stardust to fill the shop. Giggling, Amalia shakes her head, watching the whale regroup before returning to her investigations with an emboldened fervor. [say]"You're going to get yourself killed one of these days,"[/say] she comments fondly, but there is no real chiding in her voice.

Remi's appearance from behind the counter only brightens Amalia's smile. [say]"Hi,"[/say] she replies- then says nothing more, suddenly anxious with the thought of what she's come to do, the selfishness of it in the face of all he's lost. [say]"I, ah..."[/say] she swallows, glancing away, her expression fading somewhat. [say]"How have you been? I haven't really seen you at all, since..."[/say] LongNight. The fire. The Portal Guardians. The world changed, again.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Remi - 12-29-2019

If Tinkerbell had been a concept in this world or Remi's mind, the shower of stardust might have made the alchemist mention it. Instead, he simply chuckled before giving the starwhale an apologetic smile. [say]"Especially here seeing as I keep all the deadliest inventions on the ceiling."[/say] Remi added to the faux-reprimand.

[say]"Since Ronin and I disappeared?"[/say] He added for her, his strange brand of boyish honestly and bashfulness shining through. [say]"I know."[/say] Rubbing awkwardly at the back of his neck, a gesture he'd certainly picked up from Ronin, Remi moved towards Amalia to offer her a hug should her body language indicate she'd accept one.

[say]"I am sorry. It was all just...the death, the anniversary of Vanya's death, Aoife's birthday, the guild burning down...this whole guardian thing.."[/say] Wearily the alchemist shook his head. [say]"I have been accused of being selfish for so long I thought I'd give it a proper try, and hide away for a while."[/say] Remi added with a boyish grin, his eyes full of sunny mischief.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Amalia - 12-30-2019

There is no part of Amalia that resents Remi for his absence, so it is with relief and laughter that she accepts his hug, her arms wrapping tightly around him for a second before letting go. Her expression turns appropriately somber as he explains, though she reaches out to grab his hand, tilting her head and furrowing her eyebrows. [say]"Who on earth ever accused you of being selfish?"[/say] she asks, gentle but firm, her golden hair bouncing as she shakes her head. [say]"If anyone deserved to take some time it's you. Ronin, on the other hand..."[/say] She wrinkles her nose and laughs.

Suddenly a little embarrassed again, Amalia drops the Alchemist's hand. [say]"If you did want to take a break from your horrible selfishness, though... maybe you could help me with something?"[/say] Reaching into her pocket the girl produces a silver-lilac scale, easily recognizable as one of her own. Holding it out toward Remi, the Shield fixes him with a hopeful look. [say]"I... I was hoping to enchant this into a gift. For Deimos. Something to protect him. Not that he needs it, but... I don't want to lose him. It's, it's been a year. This festival. Um..."[/say] she trails off, suddenly realizing she's begun to ramble, her cheeks flushed and eyes bright with adoration for the general.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Remi - 01-02-2020

Raising a mischevious eyebrow as if to silently say, take a guess, the alchemist merely grins away the question. [say]"The very definition of lazy, is that man."[/say] He agrees with a laugh, knowing it not to be true.

Raising his brows at this sudden change, Remi tilts his head with interest to the side, watching as the scale is pulled into the light. For a moment he doesn't actually recognize it, until it catches the light and seems to breathe lilac right into his field of vision. [say]"Absolutely no need to explain."[/say] He soothes. She told him nearly a year ago that she loved the large bear-like man; to hear that her affection still held strong and that she wished to protect him didn't come as a surprise at all.

[say]"What sort of protection, do you think? Armor? Or...against the elements? Against magic?"[/say] There was only so much he could do of course, but for Amalia—for love sappy as it was—he'd do anything.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Amalia - 01-03-2020

Amalia laughs as well, the image of Ronin as lazy nearly as laughable as the idea that Remi might be considered selfish. But as he accepts her request with generous ease Amalia feels her anxiety lessen, her flush fading from nervousness to gratitude at his swift agreement.

Fidgeting with the lilac scale, she hums in thought. [say]"I... I had thought a barrier. That would cover his whole body. To protect him from... ah, anything, I guess. But maybe... maybe magic would be best."[/say] He is already strong, and swift, able to defend himself against almost any onslaught. But magic? Magic is insidious, a striking thing, and no amount of physical training can protect the Sword from that.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Remi - 01-03-2020

[say]"Perhaps dark magic might be best...if he needs to be healed while in battle, or if illusions are meant to hide him, they would not so long as he wears this."[/say] Dark magics though, fire..lightning..lifedrain..Remi can't think of a time when one would want those things cast against them. Not while wearing armour anyways.

[say]"Would you like it to look like this as well? That he is covered in your scales?"[/say] A small smile tugs at his lips, liking the metaphor it implies.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Amalia - 01-03-2020

Nodding her agreement with Remi's assessment, the girl exhales a breath of relief. She knew her friend would be able to help her, and her gratitude is apparent in her warm, soft smile. [say]"That sounds perfect,"[/say] she agrees, nodding at the idea.

The idea that it would give him a scale armor makes her eyes widen in a sudden flush, the implications both warm and uncertain- [say]"It might be to flashy for him,"[/say] she says with a laugh, her lips quirking wryly as she shakes her head. [say]"I do want him to keep it with him easily, though... maybe a necklace? Or... a ring?"[/say]

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Remi - 01-06-2020

Remi's smile grew quietly suspect, his pale green eyes rising. [say]"A ring, mm?"[/say] He prompted gently, pretending to be incredibly interested in the scale just then as his cheeks dimpled deeply. He needn't say what the implication was, and before Amalia could backtrack and change her mind, the scale had already begun to transmute into a sphere.

Alight with magic, the alchemist closed his eyes as he focused on the bit of Amalia before him. To make it out of a scale and resistant to magic was no small feat (read: two would cost two magical items), and so he took the time necessary to ensure that all of the necessary bits of magic and focus were in place before continuing.

For Amalia of course, it would look like nothing much was happening; the ring would simply be suspended in mid-air as the alchemist mentally worked. Eventually though his eyes fluttered open, and he placed the ring into her palm with a crooked smile.

Scale Ring (Upgraded) | A magical ring that when worn, can be used to cover the wearer in full armor that resists dark magic. Made by Remi.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Amalia - 01-13-2020

As Remi zones into his work Amalia begins to set out the tea and snacks she brought, remembering from watching him weave past enchantments that this could take some time. She finds his work utterly mesmerizing; every now and then she finds herself standing still, a pot or cup clutched uselessly in her hands as she watches the scale shift and change.

By the time he's done the tea is steeping, the secent of cloves and orange peel permeating the shop. Gingerly reaches out to take the ring from him, rolling it between her fingers with the same delicacy she might show a bird's egg, or a finicky dough. [Say]"It's beautiful, Remi."[/say]

Her eyes are earnest when she turns them to him, gratitude radiant in her expressive face. [Say]"It's perfect- I don't know what else to say. Or how to thank you. But I... Well. I brought tea?'[/say] Not enough - never enough - but the girl laughs brightly, gesturing to the steaming cups.

RE: the scales never tipped in our favor - Remi - 01-16-2020

[say]"Easily done with such fine ingredients to work with."[/say] He said of her scale, flashing her an easy and boyish smile. Brushing away her thanks with a quick laugh, he took a seat. [say]"You do not need to do anything. It is what friends are for, after all."[/say] That and the tea smelled delicious already.

Blowing gently on the surface of the tea to cool it enough to drink, the pair gently let the conversation wander about where it would, until it reached it's natural conclusion.

[say]"See you soon."[/say] Remi grinned as he stood in the doorway to go. Only he wouldn't. Not for a long while, it would seem.

~FIn