Court of the Fallen
the circle of life - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: the circle of life (/showthread.php?tid=2380)

Pages: 1 2

the circle of life - Oliver - 12-20-2019

The small tan paws pattered against the ground as he looked around. He was at a nice trotting pace, not quite running but also not simply walking. As he moved around, his ears were alert as were his other senses. He’d sniff the air, clearly trying to get a handle of all of the enhanced senses. Already he had explored the civilized areas, but now he finally wanted to try focusing on the more wild areas. Learn how to listen for other creatures, figure out how to use this new body.

Of course, there were some downsides to this. His senses were quite a bit overwhelmed. It was hard for him to focus on one thing, no matter how hard he tried. Still, that didn’t really stop him from exploring the fields around him. Occasionally he would stop by a hole and listen, smelling the air to see if he could figure out what created it and whether it was still there. This meant that he was quite a bit distracted, but it was fine. No deadly creatures lurked these areas and it was the middle of the day. Why would anything even try to hurt him?

Sunjata

RE: the circle of life - Sunjata - 12-21-2019

He hasn’t ever hunted during the daylight before, finding it easier to blend in with nightfall and unsuspecting creatures of the night. But at this present moment, he can spot a few rabbits in the distance of the fields grasses, something that perhaps intrigued him more than he initially anticipated. He prowls along in panther form, head and body ducked low before something moving ever so slightly closer to him than the rabbits moves.

He waits briefly, lowering himself further, steel eyes seeking the shadows to pinpoint the creature, whiskers flickering as he scents it. And then he pounces, leaning back on his haunches and aiming his sharp, large canines on the creature, claws extended to grip the ground better or swat should he miss.

RE: the circle of life - Oliver - 12-21-2019

Nothing seemed too out of the ordinary on that day, at least so far. Hell, he even felt a faint pang of interest towards the rabbits he could smell. His body was telling him to hunt, but Oliver hadn't quite learned how to listen to his instincts. It was hard for him to really take strong notice of them. That was the case until a sudden noise caught his attention. The faint sound of rustling grass, the sound of something walking so close until....

His body and mind seemed to take over. In an instant, he was off, racing as fast as he could away. His mind screamed RUN rather than telling him he could just shift back, that everything would be okay. Luckily, his instincts had taken over before the large beast had landed onto him. Oliver didn't take the time to look back at what the beast was. Even if he wanted, he couldn't. He was now following instincts, running through the grass as fast as he could, trying to find some sort of hole that he could hide in. All the while, he was screaming in his mind in absolute terror, projecting out to any attuned individuals that could be close by. [say]No no no.[/say] Over and over. His heart pounding in his ears and adrenaline coursing through his veins.

He misses his attack, and he growls a deep rumbling roar of a sound, teeth bared and ears flat against his skull as he darts after the fox. He had miscalculated, his instincts not quite fully given into with the panther form to ensure his precision, and there's the briefest pulse of frustration that leaves Sunjata as he chases the swift and small fox.

He thinks he’s close to the fox’s tail, head lowering to bite and tug — until he hears the no’s, and he stops abruptly in his tracks, head lifting up and mud spraying around his dark coat as he stares at the departing fox. [say]Oliver?![/say] He calls out to the other fox, ears perked and eyes wide, heart thundering in his chest.

No matter how fast he ran, the panther seemed to get closer and closer. His mind continued to scream out orders as he kept screaming out [say]No[/say]. The beast was gaining on him, but he could see it. A hole. One of the ones he had sniffed at. It was deep enough for him to hide, maybe a good four feet deep and it seemed to have a small den of sorts inside of it, possibly belonging to one of the rabbits.

As he dove down into the hole, his claws scrambling to climb down. His body lurched towards the wall, eager to move as far away from the entrance to the cavern as physically possible.

And then he heard it. The familiar voice calling his name. His ears perked up but he didn't dare leave the hole. That beast couldn't be Sunjata, surely. Maybe he was watching it all happen? He could be in his bird form and on a tree or something. [say]It's me Sunjata...I need to hide.[/say] It was only then that Oliver realized his body was absolutely trembling. His ears remained high and alert listening for the sound of digging.

The fox finds and hides in a hole, all while Sunjata remains on the outside, dumbfounded, confused, a bit worried before he exhales a plume of air, ears flattening again as he approaches the hole, wondering how it must look. But he shifts into the navy blue of his bird form. [say]Ollie, you can come out now.[/say] He rumbles, his attuned bond voice far more accented and deeper than it usually was, and a pulse of his own realization reaches across toward Oliver.

He aims to stick a few of his wing feathers into the hole to show Oliver he was here, before he withdraws and sits outside of it, staring at the hole with another gruff exhale. [say]When the fuck did this happen? I tried to eat you.[/say] His words are a bit faster too as he folds his wings along his back, gaze lifting to the sky briefly before he looks back to see if Oliver has come out yet.

The little fox sniffs at the air, listening hard for the sound of the beast coming close, but it never comes. Instead, he hears the soothing, accented voice of his friend. Was....was that Sunjata? Did the man know that the beast had left? Or was there a small chance that he was the beast. Slowly, he crept forward, looking up the hole only to see familiar feathers. With a soft sigh, the trembling fox crept up, the claws digging into help him climb out.

His body remained in the hole for a bit, only his head above the ground. It was Sunjata, he was okay. At least he was okay until he heard Sunjata's voice and got all the confirmation he needed. His Friend. Had tried. To EAT him. That certainly didn't stop him from trembling, not in the slightest. [say]It....Safrin gave it to me barely a week ago...[/say] He didn't want to confront the eating thing. Didn't want to consider what could've happened.

Obviously he was overwhelmed, still shaking and clearly terrified. [say]I'm still figuring this stuff out...fuck, I don't even know why I didn't shift back.[/say] Of course, his body still remained mostly in the hole, searching for some type of comfort that maybe the hole could provide.

He soon spots only the fox’s head from the hole at the realization that it’s him and not some other beast. That in the end, Sunjata is the beast that Oliver had ran from. His dark gaze sweeps over the fox as Oliver explains that Safrin had changed him too, not long ago, and Sunjata’s feathers flicker briefly as he approaches Oliver, sending a pulse of mental apology for it.

[say]You gave into your instincts like I gave into mine.[/say] He tells Oliver simply, before shaking his navy head. [say]If I had gotten you and hurt you, you would’ve shifted back. Remi told me with a possible fatal blow, if you’re in your form, you shift back to survive.[/say] There’s the slight feeling of a frown that crosses across the bond before he hops closer to Oliver and the hole.

[say]Come on, I’ll take you back to the VlamVloed and get you some food and drink.[/say] He offers, shifting back into his human self, hand stretched toward Oliver as he sits before it.

RE: the circle of life - Oliver - 12-22-2019

The little foxes head popped up above the surface. Two brown eyes stared at the bird before him, his ears still high and alert, like antennas. The man's, or bird's really, explanation seemed...likely. His instincts had seemingly taken over, something very clearly shocking to the fox. It had never happened before and it was such a weird sensation to have taken over him. It also made him feel slightly better to know that he would've changed back if he had been caught. Still...it was also so terrifying. To be chased down by something at least five times his size. He had no idea what it even was, his body just took over for him. And that scared him.

As Sunjata changed back, Oliver sent him a mental message. [say]Okay....still. It was so weird to just....be taken over. My instincts just told me exactly what to do. I mean, it kind of happened before with the worms...but nothing like this.[/say] He was thankful for it, clearly. Otherwise he might have actually died at the paws of his friend. Oliver didn't want to be mad at Sunjata. The man had no idea he was a fox, meaning he didn't plan to kill him. Still, it was nice to see the familiar face extend a hand out to him. Reaching out, his paws grasped at him, clawing ever so slightly to try and lift himself onto the other man's hand. Once on he'd try to sit, hoping that the other hand would help to support him.

[say]If it makes you feel any better, Remi tried to murder me with a giant ball of mud when he first saw me as a fox-thing.[/say]

RE: the circle of life - Sunjata - 12-22-2019

As Oliver emerges, Sunjata’s gaze lingers on the fox with some small amount of regret and partial frustration. The panther had fully given into his instincts, it’s why he’d gone after the fox in the first place, but he nods and remains silent as Oliver clamors over his extended hand to settle along the palm of his hand. Bracing himself briefly to stand, Sunjata holds Oliver close to his chest in an effort to better grasp the small fox, his other hand scratching lightly at the pale fur behind his large ears.

Sunjata focuses on the next comment that Oliver grants, while they walk toward the bar he’d made, imagining some warm food, a drink or two, and a bed would be what Oliver needed. “[say]A ball of mud and my teeth around your throat are a quite different things.[/say]” He rumbles out loud, his uncertainties extenuating in a pair of spiral antlers that extend from his skull, tilting back as a crown of sorts as the man glances down to the fox. “[say]Sorry I scared you.[/say]”

The hand is lifted up and he soon feels his body press up against the other man's chest, which he promptly leans into. His ears flick slightly as he starts to lay down, happy to be close to Sunjata despite what happened. The closeness to the other man helps to calm him down, using the soothing and repetitive sound of the other's heartbeat to stabilize his own. Of course, his body is still trembling slightly, reminiscent of a chihuahua. And oh. Oh. His body only relaxes more at the sudden contact behind his ears. His head leans into his touch without even realizing it as he relishes in the amazing scratches.

Sunjata has much to say and is also a bit off put by the whole incident. While Oliver is still shaken up, literally, Sunjata seems to be having other thoughts. Not wanting to let their friendship be ruined, Oliver tries to send positive thoughts towards Sunjata's way. [say]Yes, but as you said they were your instincts....you didn't know that it was me. Remi just carelessly threw a ball of mud at me. Love him....but mud isn't fun.[/say] He wanted to show Sunjata that he was okay physically, he wouldn't have died, despite the fear still inside of him towards the idea of being killed. His fear was obvious, which really wasn't all that great.

[say]It's okay...I forgive you.[/say]

As Oliver begins to relax and lean into the scratches, Sunjata sighs lightly in some small amount of relief. And Oliver’s explanation is enough to grant a nod and quiet hum of amusement that leaves his throat. “[say]Fair enough.[/say]” He offers, recalling the mud that had coated his fur and body when him and Jigano had rolled it all into balls to roll out of the Domiciles. It felt like forever ago, at this point, and he wonders if the mud moved on or if it had returned.

Oliver forgives him though, and he looks back down to the fox with bright steel eyes and his horned head, new golden earrings shifting with the movement, while they walk, until they reach the doors of the VlamVloed, and he sets Oliver along the counter before slipping around to the back of it. “[say]Feel free to shift back when you’re comfortable.[/say]” He says, mixing a drink for himself and one for Oliver. “[say]What would you like to eat?[/say]”

Leaving it at that, Oliver simply leans into the touch, wordlessly enjoying the contact between him and his friend. It would've been weird if he, as a human, were pet by Sunjata. But this? It just felt....normal. Maybe it's how soothing it was or maybe it was instincts or hell, it could even be neither of those. Either way, he's appreciating it to the fullest.

Eventually, the pets must come to an end. Lifting his head up, Oliver watched as a door was pushed open and the two made their way into the new bar. He hadn't actually gotten the chance to come here yet, so when Oliver was set on the counter top he immediately started to explore. Looking around, he tried to get a good look at the bar. He was snapped out of his thoughts by Sunjata's voice. [say]Oh uh....I guess something filling? Whatever you think is the tastiest, I'll take it.[/say] And with that, he took a couple of steps along the counter, clearly trying to get a good look at everything. He'd probably change back once either the food or alcohol was brought out, but for now he was trying to use his new senses to get a good feel of the place.

He contemplates what might be the tastiest, while he mixes the drinks. He makes his first, watching curiously as Oliver begins to explore his surroundings, the items he might find scattered along the countertop of the bar, and if he looks further to the end of the bar where the hallways begin he’ll find the wall with a couple of lanterns settled along it. Lusea’s being one of them.

He finishes the drinks and sets one out closer toward Oliver, before slipping into the back and spending a few moments with the help he’s had to get something with sustenance. Not quite like what the Rathskeller had. When he returns, he sets the food along the counter and leans against it, sipping from his own as he regards Oliver, horns sprouting from his head still on display. “[say]Alright, here you go.[/say]”