Court of the Fallen
[SE] faces to names - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [SE] faces to names (/showthread.php?tid=2438)

Pages: 1 2

[SE] faces to names - Neron - 01-01-2020

A message preceded his arrival. Neron was nothing if not polite, and given that this new Queen of the Hollowed Grounds had not braved the cold to come and see him, the Warden of the Citadel thought he would bring his fine self along to meet her instead. He did not come empty handed, naturally - with him he brought Ursur furs (they might not be useful now, but come Deepfrost...) along with a few crates of crisp red berries, a dozen ningo (plucked and ready for roasting) and a promise.

The promise that he would lend his abilities to the fire-prone land whilst he was in the Hollowed Grounds. Water and ice would be endlessly useful for the crops, he imagined.

And so it was that Neron arrived with a few guardsmen in tow, dressed in customary black despite the assurance of warmer weather, but with his cloak unfastened as they arrived through the portal in the Spire.

With luck, Rexanna would be there to greet him.

RE: faces to names - Rexanna - 01-01-2020

She’d received the message, and for a time with the rest of the happenings (Fiat Lux recovery, council things) she’d been rather… Busy. Excited to an extent to meet the famous Neron she’s heard so much about, and yet… Anxious. Loren and Peter were Launceleyns of a different breed, it seemed like. She didn’t know entirely what to expect when Neron arrives – but she’d be there. Gifts brought to usher in his arrival, not necessarily how she would if she were to visit (and oh how she wishes to visit the mountains, to remember what it was like to live among them, within them, a Thief in her own right) but now is not the time for that.

She waits, with little much other than herself, a few of her own guards (mostly for show, she isn’t worried despite the possibility she should be), and a small bundle in her own arms of crops that had been grown during Flowerbirth, vegetables and fruits that would likely be well received, and decent hard alcohol that might make keeping warm with the chill of Halo easier. He comes bringing many gifts, however, but its his face that her emerald gaze flits to first – wide fanged smile of greeting. Especially if his promise of water for the upcoming LongHeat are to be true. Last LongHeat had been brutal with the fires and flames, and its with that small gift that she can’t not work with.

The Penumbra wears little more than a black blouse with a deep v edged with golden threading, dark boots, dark pants beneath it all. She has no qualms showing her scars, her brand, possibly in a sense of showing off the things she’s endured, what she’s survived. A star shaped scar blooms from the center of her chest from where she had been impaled, and the C on full display along her collarbone.

She dips her head to him in greeting, stepping toward him should they wish to walk together out of the portal into the rest of the grounds. “[say]Hello Neron.[/say]” She begins, her fanged smile growing a bit brighter in her greeting. “[say]I would like to apologize in advance for not coming to Halo to meet you earlier. The Grounds and I have been busy during Flowerbirth, as I’m sure you can imagine.[/say]” She says a bit offhandedly. “[say]I’ve brought some of our Flowerbirth crops and drinks to help take the hardship of the cold away for Halo.[/say]” She gives him a small nod and a smile, something underneath that says that she too lived in the mountains once upon a time, understood what it was like

RE: [SE] faces to names - Neron - 01-02-2020

Neron had almost expected the blinding white of the sun, so to find his eyes sheltered was a pleasant surprise. The sight of Rexanna, fanged grin and all, was even more pleasant. After Wessex’s sharp edges and cold nature, he had not known what to expect, but it wasn’t this. All the better. [say]”Rexanna,”[/say] he returned, his smile less bright, less open, but polite nonetheless. He gave her a curt bow in greeting - practical but keeping manners in check - and gestured for her to lead the way out and into the grounds.

[say]”No apology needed, be assured. It gave me an excuse to warm my feet on sunnier lands for a little while.”[/say] It had been a very long time since Neron had felt the warmth of the sun on his skin. The gifts he was not expecting, but he accepted them with a nod and a smile. [say]”They will be well appreciated, as I hope my own are. The first may not be of use until Deepfrost, but when it does come you will find nothing warmer.”[/say]

RE: [SE] faces to names - Rexanna - 01-02-2020

She’s come prepared, with her parasol and whatever else she might need for the shelter from the warmth of the Longheat sun. And with it, as much brilliance as she always has. But she keeps it leashed, feeling him out as likely he feels her out as well. And with the exchange of gifts, she can’t help but to nod to him, offering a small hum of amusement at his comment. “[say]As a woman from the mountains once upon a time, I know what you mean.[/say]” Let him take it however he wishes.

As for the gifts? They’ll come in handy as she hopes hers will. “[say]Yours absolutely are.[/say]” She agrees, inspecting the Ursur furs. Luckily for her, she doesn’t feel the heat of LongHeat any longer, and the furs do well to remain with her – no sweat to be found while she leads him away from beneath the Spire. “[say]I also appreciate the help with the water for this season.[/say]” She squints against the brightness beneath her parasol, looking around, before glancing to him sidelong. “[say]The Grounds have a tendency of getting hit hard in certain seasons more than others. I’m hoping this LongHeat won’t be nearly as bad.[/say]” A small honest truth, despite the fact she’d been hidden away for much of last LongHeat. "[say]Do you get any noticeable changes in Halo with the changing of the seasons?[/say]"

RE: [SE] faces to names - Neron - 01-02-2020

Neron did not know very much about the Ascended - he and Wessex had never really gotten the chance to talk about it, funnily enough - but he did shoot a brief and curious glance at the parasol before following Rexanna out into the sunlight. [say]"It would be my pleasure. My skills are only really good for making more ice in Halo, and we have quite enough of that to be sure."[/say] Granted it definitely meant that any fortifications he made were all but permanent, and that was definitely an upside.

Raising a brow, he glanced around at his first impression of the Hollowed Grounds, seeing no mountains. [say]"You are an Outlander, as I am."[/say] An easy deduction.

[say]"Halo gets brighter, if not marginally warmer during this season. Some parts of the Tundra may melt, but they are also likely to freeze again overnight. It is one of the kinder times, Longheat, though most still say inside. The sunlight bouncing off the glaciers can be quite obnoxious,"[/say] he explained.

RE: [SE] faces to names - Rexanna - 01-02-2020

“[say]I’m afraid I’m the opposite in that regard.[/say]” She offers with a small half smile. Fire magic, fireworks, no water to help put out the flames. “[say]Fire magic.[/say]” Her gaze slides over to him in amusement. “[say]Perhaps our skills are better suited for each other’s kingdoms.[/say]” A tease, playful, relaxing somewhat in the presence of the other ruler but still on her guard enough.

At his raised brow, however, she nods. “[say]Guilty.[/say]” She comments, looking out over the grounds as they begin to make their way, listening to the way Halo changes with the seasons. It seems lovely, wonderful, but she can picture the blinding light capturing the ice and projecting it all around. “[say]It tends to get pretty warm here, many stay by the Oasis just to swim and cool off a bit.[/say]” She offers, before a thought hits her. “[say]Do your people celebrate the capturing of the sun?[/say]” She wonders how far the customs go – if the Fae and the Grounds now celebrate it. Is it something that is shared across the expanse? Or is Halo too far, too cold to engage in those easier times?

She aims their direction toward the Settlement, to walk among the hustle and bustle of people scurrying to and fro with banners and basket weaving beginning, with bakeries and places to eat and snack among the quantity. How different it must be with no ice or snow.

RE: [SE] faces to names - Neron - 01-03-2020

How different, indeed. Neron walked with purpose, to be sure, his guardsmen following dutifully in his wake, but whilst the Warden was able to mask his surprise (and relief, in some ways) at the warmth of the sun on his back, those with him were much more obvious about it. Indeed, by the time Rexanna asked about this 'capturing the sun' myth, the guards were openly staring at those making baskets, at the open stalls and bare arms of the merchants within. The Grounds, to them, must seem like paradise.

[say]"Perhaps so,"[/say] Neron said with a smirk, casting a sidelong glance at Rexanna as they walked. Fire magic, then. Pieces continued to fall into place. [say]"Forgive my bluntness, but you are Ascended are you not? But with magical capability as well?"[/say]

His footsteps all but silent on the warm earth, Neron watched a child run by with a net, attempting to cast it over a patch of sunlight between stalls. [say]"I cannot say I have,"[/say] he confessed about the myth. [say]"There's no such custom in Halo."[/say]

RE: [SE] faces to names - Rexanna - 01-03-2020

She's pleased internally when he asks her to forgive his bluntness, commenting that she’s Ascended — a topic that she almost preens with. “[say]One of a kind.[/say]” She gives him a playful fanged smirk back. “[say]I arrived only as Abandoned. I’m assuming you did too? Being a Launceleyn and all that?[/say]” She asks, head tilting curiously briefly before they’re among the vibrant, bustling Settlement.

It’s a tradition evidently located to just here — but that’s fine. She smiles softly, watching the child try to catch the sun, before she focuses on turning her attention and words to Neron as she shifts her parasol slightly. “[say]Well, Fae legend says that if you capture the sun, then you can keep it light for as long as possible. Many of them sing to Safrin as well to try and keep her away from bringing the night.[/say]” She pauses, glancing over to him to see how he understands the legend — nothing more than an amused tale, but sometimes that’s all anyone ever needed. “[say]They make baskets, nets, fishing nets… Anything really, to celebrate it.[/say]” Pausing by one of the stalls she gestures to one gathering of people, working to put together vibrant nets and baskets all the same.

RE: [SE] faces to names - Neron - 01-04-2020

One of a kind - Neron could hear the pride in her voice, not that he would begrudge her any of it, not when it really was something. [say]"Ah, so you Ascended after you arrived? What made you choose the decision?"[/say] A curious topic, to be sure; given that Ascended and the Voice were somewhat of an old legend come to life, if you were to believe the elders of Halo, this almost seemed impossible. (The more impossible the better, in Neron's opinion). [say]"That's correct. I see my surname has made its stamp all over the Hollowed Grounds as well. Shall I apologise in advance for any inevitable waves made by members of the family?"[/say]

Things had changed since Northaven; Neron was not quite so lazy as he had been in younger times, more involved in family matters. It was only natural, when members of the family kept, er, dying.

Even more interesting is this Fae myth - Neron had only heard of the Fae in passing, and though he knew some had travelled to Halo, he'd never had the pleasure of meeting one. [say]"A quirky tradition to be sure,"[/say] he said with a smirk. [say]"Perhaps I will take it back with me. The Citadel could always use a boost in morale, as you can well imagine."[/say]

RE: [SE] faces to names - Rexanna - 01-05-2020

What made her choose the decision? Well, any number of things really. But there’s a part of her that hasn’t gotten to trust Neron enough to tell him the truth, and so she offers a half smile to him while they walk. “[say]Partially because I wanted to be more powerful.[/say]” She contemplates, head tilting as she looks back to the Settlement. “[say]And partially because Zariah locked me into a room and tried to force me into marrying into your family.[/say]” Her head tilts back to Neron, a smile along her face wide enough to show the fangs once more.

She doesn’t regret any of it.

“[say]Oh, I don’t mind the majority of you. It’s just Zariah that left a sour taste in my mouth, if I’m being honest.[/say]” She snorts shaking her head. “[say]I already like you well enough for the gifts alone.[/say]” She teases, wondering how much she can get away with it with the other ruler – all in good fun, all in amusement, all in getting to know him better and feel him out.

He seems interested in the tradition at least, and mentions bringing it back with him to Halo. “[say]I imagine you could have plenty of fun trying to capture it there.[/say]” She offers, reaching down to pick up a basket of sorts to inspect that’s for bartering, wondering how people in Halo might try to capture it along the snow and the ice. “[say]What do your people do in Halo for morale boosting?[/say]” She asks, turning to him once she sets the basket down, a quiet suggestive tilt to her eyebrow, a small smirk gracing her own face.

She knows what she’d do to pass the time in the icy tundra, at least.

RE: [SE] faces to names - Neron - 01-05-2020

Neron arched an eyebrow at the comment about power; it was clear from his somewhat amused expression that he considered that response something of a cliche. Then again, coming from a power hungry family, perhaps he was simply tired of that particular explanation. That Zariah had almost forced her to marry, however... Neron couldn't not snort at that. [say]"Would it offend you if I told you I was not surprised?"[/say] He smirked. [say]"I am sure you would have been a fine Launceleyn, though I am glad that you chose a path that better suited yourself."[/say]

Giving a polite nod of his head at hearing he was not considered 'a sour taste' like his Archmage, Neron watched as she examined the basket, pausing alongside her with a faint smile on his lips. [say]"Fun is not particularly high on the agenda in Halo, as you might imagine."[/say] He shrugged. [say]"There are certain traditions though, I suppose. Fire blessings, singing, the occasional snow war. Mostly people enjoy getting drunk."[/say] And fucking. But he guessed from Rexanna's expression that she had already figured that one out.

RE: [SE] faces to names - Rexanna - 01-06-2020

At the mention of if it would offend her that he wasn’t surprised, she can’t help the chime of laughter that leaves her. “[say]None taken.[/say]” She jests, snorting before focusing on the mention that she would’ve made a fine Launceleyn. She might have, if the circumstances had been different. She loved Peter, but not in a way that made her wish to bear children for the family, not in a way that she thinks they both are comfortable with. Sure, he had Adam and she had Bastien, but… At the end of the day, really it wasn’t something she imagined for herself. “[say]I think I’m better friends with Launceleyn’s than I would have been lovers.[/say]” She admits with amusement, gaze flitting back to him, wondering if perhaps she could keep the trend going.

But then she’s examining the basket, listening as he tells her that fun isn’t particularly high on the agenda, and she nods. She understands the hardships, wondering if perhaps Halo had a hot springs of sorts or places to go to relax and ease the day. Perhaps that might be a gift she tries to figure out to give to them, if only for a peace of mind. “[say]I’m sure.[/say]” She comments quietly before putting the basket down and turning to him. “[say]Fire blessings?[/say]” She asks with a tilt of her head, wondering what that could mean. But the mention of getting drunk, she hums a quiet chuckle at that. “[say]Part of me wishes I could get drunk like I used to. I’m sure it keeps the body warm though.[/say]” She offers. Not like it matters for her – she’d be the same regardless, no extra heat to output.

RE: [SE] faces to names - Neron - 01-06-2020

Neron smirked sidelong at Rexanna - all in all she had taken the Launceleyn mindgames and awkward aftermath with no end of grace. All things certain to bring her up in his estimation, which was a notoriously difficult achievement with the frosty Warden. [say]”That you would even go so far to consider friendship is both baffling and kind,”[/say] he said, watching the basket as well and admiring its craftsmanship. [say]”You are certainly not what I expected, and in a pleasantly surprising way.”[/say] Code, perhaps, for ‘you are nothing like your predecessor’. But what Rex lacked in Wessex’s thorny pragmatism she most certainly made up for elsewhere.

[say]”Fire blessings,”[/say] he confirmed with a nod. [say]”In the citadel it is considered a crime to allow a fire to die. Part of my job as Warden is to perform fire blessings - a ritual to keep the flames alive during difficult times.”[/say] A load of bollocks to be sure, but with a nudge from illusion magic it looked impressive enough, and the locals ate it up.

Raising his eyebrows - of course Ascended couldn’t get drunk - Neron stood by to let her examine the basket as long as she wanted, meanwhile taking in the sights of a marketplace so similar and so different to the one he had left behind. [say]”Is there no equivalent? Or are the Ascended created too pure for such things?”[/say]

RE: [SE] faces to names - Rexanna - 01-06-2020

She snorts to his comment, giving him a brighter smile in response. “[say]Well, Loren and Peter have always been kind to me.[/say]” She shrugs, spinning the basket slowly before her green gaze finds the basket and she hears his comment. Part of her preens at it, pleased that she’s given a good impression, hopeful to keep it that way. “[say]Likewise, you aren’t what I expected either.[/say]” She offers, a bright smile briefly crossing her face. Where Wessex was more like her moniker of the Wraith, a scythe of sorts, Rexanna tended to lean a bit more into the role of water – attempting to smooth out the waves before they grew too rocky and too unsteady.

She gives him her full attention when he explains the Fire blessings, green gaze attentive and focused. “[say]I see. A little spark of hope through the dark I’d imagine.[/say]” A half crooked smile crossing her features. “[say]Do you have fireworks there?[/say]” She asks with a slight twinkle to her eye – perhaps she could show him one of hers, see how they might take to it for the fire blessing, see if it would be something to add to what seems like a very important event.

But once she’s inspected that basket, she picks up a second one – this one woven with golds and blacks and reds, like fire in a sense. Using a bit of magic, she creates a small band of sorts, embellished with a little crescent moon along the blue fabric, and she uses it to barter for said basket. Coming away with it, she goes to hand it to Neron with a knowing look in response to his question. “[say]Our bites are quite… Lovely, for both others and ourselves. But other than that the rest of the senses are deadened.[/say]” She smirks lightly. “[say]It's not so bad though, you can't feel any pain, so that's a plus.[/say]” Part of her almost subconsciously moves to rub at her chest, at the scarring but she doesn’t, instead she goes to lead him further down the Settlement toward the Manor.