Court of the Fallen
[SE] introductions - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [SE] introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2512)

Pages: 1 2

[SE] introductions - Neron - 01-08-2020

Neron had visited the Hollowed Grounds and had felt the sun on his skin - the real, warm sun - for the first time in almost two years. He had met the ruler there at last and he had spent time in the Launceleyn Manor. He'd even learned a thing or two about a silly tradition, apparently from the Fae. That explained, perhaps, why he was sitting in his study (a lofty room with a beautiful view out over the Tundra), sitting with his feet propped up on his desk, staring at a bowl of water.

In his lap was the basket he had bartered for, the one Rexanna had given him stored safely away elsewhere. As the Halovian sun - cold and frosty and bright - beamed down into the study and bounced into the water bowl, Neron raised a hand. An exertion of will and the water froze solid; he followed this up by casting the basket lazily over it.

[say]"There. Your pesky sun is mine,"[/say] he drawled, shaking his head. Ridiculous, but amusing.

RE: [SE] introductions - Peter - 01-09-2020

Meeting the Warden. It was one of the first tasks Zariah had suggested when Peter arrived in the Citadel, and the one that filled him with the most trepidation. But, as luck, or a lack thereof, would have it, Neron was away when he first arrived, giving Peter a chance to settle in properly before he had to introduce himself.

Time did not ease his nerves. In fact, Peter was somehow more anxious about the meeting now, standing in front of the Wardens study, staring at the door and trying to will himself to knock. It wasn’t going well. The issue wasn’t really really the introduction itself, he could stand still and straight and make a good first impression, it came from having to initiate the meeting himself. Especially in this situation, where he knew he was a bother.

After nearly five minutes of fighting with himself, psyching himself up before chickening out again, Peter knocked, and waited, tense and nervous, for a response. If he was I voted in, he would go and attend before the desk, hands folded neatly behind his back, and if not well... he could come back later. Prolong the suffering a little bit more.

RE: [SE] introductions - Neron - 01-09-2020

[say]”It’s open.”[/say] Concentrating more on his basket of frozen sun, as if wondering if that really were it, Neron turned only at the sound of the door clicking open. A flash of ink black - not dissimilar to his own tastes, he noted - the Warden sat up properly to receive his guest. Appraising him from mop of dark hair to scarred hands to ever-so-polite stance, Neron said nothing for a moment. Ah, so this was another of Zariah’s strays.

[say]”Peter, if I am not mistaken,”[/say] he said softly. [say]”Apologies that I could not be here when you arrived. How are you finding Halo?”[/say]

RE: [SE] introductions - Peter - 01-10-2020

There was a moment of breathless panic when Peter first entered, kept carefully hidden away behind a blank respectful face. He didn’t move an inch as he was looked over, a ritual he’d gotten very used to in his past life, though the gaze was where his expectations and reality diverged.

[say]”Peter, yes.”[/say] It took most of his focus to keep his tongue in line, not tripping over every other word. [say]”You don’t need to... apologize. I’m sure you’re busy.”[/say] Thus far, there was far more talking on his end than he was strictly comfortable with, but he was far more afraid to not answer a question he’d been asked. [say]”It’s nice. Welcoming. And I’ve never... been in snow like this before.”[/say]

RE: [SE] introductions - Neron - 01-10-2020

Well trained, Neron noted - in fact he would not be out of place in a Launceleyn gathering. Clearly Zariah had gotten her claws into him early. [say]"A pleasure to meet you then, Peter. I am Neron, though I hardly think you expect an introduction."[/say] Peter had, after all, come to knock on his door.

[say]"Welcoming is not a word I would have associated with Halo, but it is appreciated nevertheless. And busy I might be, but I am not beyond associating with the family just yet."[/say] A lopsided smirk, too sharp to be called charming, but darkly amused regardless. [say]"You are lucky - it is not so pleasant, the snow, during Deepfrost."[/say] Bitter and deadly were better descriptions.

[say]"What is your trade?"[/say] he asked. A more polite way of saying why were you brought into the fold, but still.

RE: [SE] introductions - Peter - 01-15-2020

So far he seemed to be doing well, though  Peter suspects Neron will be as difficult to read as Zariah could be. [say]”The pleasure is mine.”[/say] He insists softly, this part of the conversation easily rehearsed and repeated. [say]”It is good to... formally meet you.”[/say]

Peter’s lips curve up into a soft imitation of the smirk offered his way, too stiff to come across as anything other than nervous. [say]”I appreciate your time still. And I am... glad I got the chance to enjoy it before then.”[/say] The idea that it got even colder than it already was during Deep Frost wasn’t a pleasant one, even if it technically made sense.

At least he didn’t get long to fret about it. Instead he had a much worse question to fret over, and not a lot of time to do it. [say]”I do what I’m needed to.”[/say] He answers immediately, hesitating a moment longer with the thought of ‘was that enough?’ going through his head. [say]”I’m skilled with my hands... making things, doing precise work.”[/say] His hands stayed firmly behind his back though, despite how they itches to move now.

RE: [SE] introductions - Neron - 01-16-2020

Pleasantries and pleasures and talk of the weather could wait. Neron had reached the meat of the conversation now, and he felt it with the very nerves that oozed from Peter. Sitting up a little in his seat, he appraised the man before him with steely eyes, drumming long fingers across the desk. [say]"Zariah does not welcome people into the family merely for being skilled with their hands,"[/say] he said slowly. [say]"I confess that I don't believe you are being honest with me. I have my suspicions about you - no one gets that many scars for nothing."[/say]

He tilted his head. [say]"Speaking plain, I would have a job for you here at the Citadel. But before I can suggest it, or make any decisions, I would know precisely what it is that you do."[/say]

RE: [SE] introductions - Peter - 01-17-2020

This was beginning to feel dangerous. Peter thought carefully about his answer, about how he offered it, shifting as he thought so his hands were folded in front of him instead of behind. He wasn’t yet in the habit of wearing gloves all the time, and the skin there only seemed to highlight Nerons point about scars. [say]”i can’t say I really... know what exactly Zariah saw in me.”[/say] He began, hoping this came across as more honest than humble. He wasn’t thinner to be humble.

[say]”The man I... worked for before here, he used me as a... problem solver.”[/say] The admission came easily, Peter more concerned about his standing with than warden than almost anything else. [say]”I took care of people, and information, and... whatever needed doing. Before that...”[/say] He shrugged a little. [say]”I did whatever I was told to.”[/say] It wasn’t exactly a true vocation, but there were only so many things one could imagine someone like him doing, and if there was still a job in mind with those assumptions, the true wouldn’t hurt.

RE: [SE] introductions - Neron - 01-17-2020

It might have been feeling dangerous, and that was probably because it was, but Neron could not have looked more comfortable in his seat at his study, with a small basket absurdly draped over a bowl of ice. (The sun still had the decency to be shining and bouncing off it, at least).

[say]"Hm..."[/say] The sigh came out contemplative, perhaps a little irritated at first, but with a hint of understanding. The vagueness of Peter's statements said more than intended, he thought. The nuances of doing whatever one was told to, of being a problem solver (and those problems being people, information and the like)...

Yes, the Warden thought he understood Peter's vocation well enough.

[say]"It sounds,"[/say] he said, [say]"as though the position of Citadel Spymaster would suit you well enough."[/say]

He left it there, expectantly watching for the other man's reaction.

RE: [SE] introductions - Peter - 01-18-2020

Peter waited quietly as his clarification was considered, hoping it would be enough to satisfy Neron. He drew in a slow breath, tensing at the tone in the sigh, only to relax at the calm again words. And then tense again a moment later as the offer of spymaster really sunk in.

There is no obvious reaction, just a careful blankness on Peters face as he seems to consider his answer, surprising even himself with how quickly and steadily it comes. [say]”I would be... honoured.”[/say] Of course, Peter knows this dance well enough to say the right things first. [say]”But I would... like to know what will be expected of me.”[/say] Might as well know as much as possible about the fire he was going to be walking into.

There was panic underneath his calm facade, every part of Peters mind focused on the conversation, on analyzing every single nuance so he could try and decide for sure if this was even real.

RE: [SE] introductions - Neron - 01-19-2020

Neron held Peter's gaze steadily, watching for any flinch or flicker, for any hint of swagger or ego. Under and overconfidence were killers in the trade he was suggesting, and no spy worth his salt would consider himself either. Nodding gently at the acceptance of the role, Neron relaxed back and gestured for Peter to take a seat, if he wished.

[say]"I have a network of people in the Citadel already,"[/say] he said. [say]"Those who collect information in passing, who accompany me when I leave, who blend into the crowd and are there should I need them."[/say] He tilted his head at Peter. [say]"I would have you coordinate them, collate their information and deliver it to me in a more cohesive way. And, of course, should there be anything I need - someone watched, someone followed, something discovered - you will be the first point of contact."[/say]

RE: [SE] introductions - Peter - 01-20-2020

Yes had been the right answer then. Peter saw Neron relax back, and relaxed slightly himself, though he didn’t let it show in the rigid line of his posture. He did however, accept the invitation, at least to move in closer. Staying standing was more natural to him, and kept him from being dwarfed by the taller man.

Peter nodded as the job expectations were laid out, ideas already forming in his mind. Things to make sure of, to improve on, to double check. [say]”I can... handle all of that.”[/say] He had done similar, in less official positions before. If anything, actually having a title should make things easier, shouldn’t it? There was one thing that bothered him though.

[say]”Could I... I don’t mean to question your... judgement, but...”[/say] Peter hesitated a breath, worrying he was overstepping his bounds. [say]”...this seems sudden.”[/say] Obviously, he doesn’t want to give voice to the idea that he shouldn’t be trusted, but... this was literally their first meeting.

RE: [SE] introductions - Neron - 01-21-2020

Every little movement was noted, every step closer, every refusal to relax even slightly, and Neron felt a little spark of respect growing for Peter. The man was humble and polite, but sharp as a tack, and it showed. [say]”I’m glad to hear that,”[/say] he said, and he meant it. It wasn’t often that one found so competent and so willing to assist.

Then of course the questioning came, and Neron’s smile spread across his face. [say]”You’re absolutely right. It is,”[/say] he agreed. [say]”If you did not come with such a good reference in the form of Zariah, I would never even consider it. That, and... well. Those you will be directing have been reporting to me about you since your arrival here. A natural precaution, you understand.”[/say] Spies and spiderwebs - all par for the course in politics.

[say]”And besides - if you aren’t cut out for the role, it will become apparent rather quickly, no?”[/say]

RE: [SE] introductions - Peter - 01-22-2020

Something about the conversation seemed to breathe again, the moment where a predators eye had lingered in him gone now, though Peter knew better than to let his guard down. The worst things always came when he thought everything was calm, after all. He offered Neron the slightest curl of his lips, the closest he was willing to get to a smile at the moment, and inclined his head, not having anything to actually say about his new position.

To learn that he had somehow come with Zariah’s recommendation, that he had somehow been competent enough when he’d thought he was alone did something strange to Peters guts. It was almost like pride, twisted like a fishhook behind his navel and pulling, threatening to tug some pressure up his throat. Peter had to swallow before h could find his voice again, though it was a touch more strained. [say]”Thank you. I do... I do understand. I’m looking forward to... beginning this.”[/say]

He even managed a soft laugh at Nerons addendum, and nodded his agreement. Peter had said all the things he knew he should say, before the things he wanted to say. [say]”I won’t let you down.”[/say] This was soft, the words packed with the same indescribable emotion that tugged at him, worry and dread and determination and excitement all wrapped into one.