Court of the Fallen
Calm thee down, you heathen child - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Calm thee down, you heathen child (/showthread.php?tid=2558)

Calm thee down, you heathen child - Bastien - 01-14-2020

Well, he had made a promise.

As much as Bastien wanted nothing more than to escape to the upstairs of the Artist's Sanctuary and find Rexanna, lay with her somewhere, watch the stars, speak of everything and anything...he had given away his time to Oia'i'o, to stop her from asking more questions of him so painfully loudly in the earshot of the potentially recently bereaved.

The dark night, only broken up by the glow of moonlight, seemed like a good backdrop for discussing matters of death and mourning. Oia'i'o had insisted their meeting be outside and Bastien did not have the energy to argue; he sat on the doorstep of the Artist's Sanctuary, where he had sat and spoken to many different people before. There was enough room for two and a space to lean back on, and the light of a candle inside flickered out onto the cobbles. With a memory he even managed to get some quiet music playing from the thought player within. If he was to be stuck here for hours, he wanted to be comfortable.

[say]"So we begin, Oia'i'o. Ask me anything you like. Speak quietly, though - we do not want to disturb the sleeping around us."[/say] He looked sideways at the Demi-Goddess, waiting to see what her first query would be.

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Oia'i'o - 01-14-2020

You are a complete foil to Bastien in this moment: weary and annoyed as he is, you are a bubble of excitement. You walk animatedly in his wake, your fingers dancing over the cover of your notebook. Probably you should have realized that this wasn't an actual invitation, but just a way to get you to shut up during the creation of the memorial. Further still you should have realized that Bastien probably doesn't actually want to have this conversation at all. But you have recognized neither of these things, and so as the ascended sits you do as well, placing your notebook flat on your knobby knees.

[say]"Question one."[/say] You don't hold your punches after all. [say]"Why do the people who lost friends and family during Fiat Lux need a memorial to remember them? Why can't they just do it in their minds? Why do they have to come to your shrine? And if they don't have to, then what was the purpose? And why was asking about it rude? Why would it hurt their feelings?"[/say] This is all said in one breath of air, your bright blue eyes focused intently on Bastien before looking fixedly at the blank pages of your notebook, waiting to fill them full.

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Bastien - 01-14-2020

As much as Bastien was a tad grumpy about having to answer Oia'i'o's questions, the enthusiasm with which she sat to ask them did draw out a smile from him; such joy in learning was something he always tried to encourage in his students. While it was difficult to keep up the smile as she began with her usual waterfall of words, he listened patiently and nodded as she spoke, finally looking up to think when she had done.

[say]"Question one was actually six questions, ah?"[/say] He asked with a little laugh, before getting to his answers. [say]"The families, I'm sure, will carry memories of their loved ones in their minds forever. What the memorial does is allow them to feel like someone else has taken notice of their grief, gives them a chance to center it on something...when you are in the throes of mourning it can be difficult to process it. Some find having a place to go and lay down the memory helps to move on. This will not be the case for everyone, which is why no one has to come to the memorial if they don't want to."[/say] After all, a forced memorial would just further upset some.

Why to do it at all, then, was an odd question to Bastien. [say]"Because it will be a comfort to those that wish to come to it."[/say]

As for her own behaviour...Bastien tried to keep his voice polite and gentle. [say]"When people are in a state of grief, vulnerable as they are...you must be very careful how you speak of the ones they have lost or the ways they choose to remember them. Any criticism could deeply hurt them and should be avoided unless you truly have to. True, you were simply asking questions, but..."[/say] He tilted his head from side to side, trying to phrase what he was thinking. [say]"When you question the purpose of the memorial, it might seem to some like you are undermining the importance of their grief and disrespecting their dead. It might hurt people's feelings."[/say]

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Oia'i'o - 01-14-2020

For a moment you pause, and then, wonder of wonders, you try on a grin. [say]"Sorry. I get...carried away."[/say] It's a trait that you and Kai share in spades.

You record his answers diligently, peppering in additional questions as you go. [say]"What does the acknowledgement of their grief do?"[/say] Pausing to consider whether or not someone ought to be forced to deal with their grief or not, you draw a box around this question in your notes before passing it over. [say]"Wait, are we trying to alleviate their grief, or provide comfort?"[/say] Those two constructs you think, are very very different.

[say]"I can put them in a world where they forget. Or where they can hug their loved ones again."[/say] You say, almost casually.

You don't really notice the change in Bastien's tone. You're too focused on what you're writing. [say]"But that seems like their problem, not mine. How am I to know who is grieving and who isn't? And undermining their grief isn't my intention. It's gaining information. So if their feelings are hurt because they've mistakenly assumed my motives, why is that my fault?"[/say]

You seem genuinely upset about this. It's your biggest cross to bear after all, given that you can't read people or situations.

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Bastien - 01-14-2020

The way that Oia smiled and apologised was the most human thing she'd done so far; Bastien found himself laughing a little, smiling in return. [say]"It is not such a bad thing, to be curious. It is how many artists fuel their creativity."[/say] His art was unfortunately more moved by cynicism if anything nowadays, but he admired and missed the rush of genuine curiosity.

[say]"Sometimes, people like to know they are being heard, if nothing else. Just letting someone know 'I see you are suffering'...it can be powerful."[/say] As to why that was, Bastien would begin to struggle to say. He'd never suffered with a deep personal loss, something he was intensely glad for when he saw the pain of the people in the Hollowed Grounds now. [say]"We are trying to both alleviate grief and provide comfort. In any way we can. The two are linked, after all."[/say]

The way Oia almost complained about other people's reactions...Bastien tilted his head with an amused smile, unsure how to explain what seemed obvious to him. [say]"Most people do not want to answer endless questions when they are upset or hurt. If you see someone solemn, upset, or think someone suffering might overhear, refrain. Maybe if you have questions about people's emotional states..."[/say] Bastien paused for a moment, wondering if he really wanted to commit to what he was about to - deciding it was a part of what he'd been aiming to do with his guild, he continued. [say]"You could save them and come ask me later. I'd do my best to answer."[/say]

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Oia'i'o - 01-15-2020

[say]"Does that make me an artist?"[/say] You ask doubtfully. Though by some reasoning if you're fueled by the same things, you're the same sort of thing. You aren't entirely sure about this, and given your utter lack of interest or understanding of art, are thusly not terribly excited about the prospect.

[say]"In any way?"[/say] You breathe. If that's all that's required...well, your magic is more than able to do that. You can simply suck everyone into an illusory world where they can deal with their problems for years and years if they need, and then just pop them out again as if nothing has happened.

[say]"How do I know when someone is solemn or upset? So many people hide their emotions and act like nothing is wrong. How can anyone know what someone is actually feeling?"[/say] This you say with no small amount of exasperation, looking unhappily down at your notebook. It isn't your fault human-animals are so deceptive.

[say]"Oh?"[/say] This draws a bright smile from you. [say]"Like I can write down what I see, and you can tell me what it is they're feeling? And the things I want to ask them, I can ask you?!"[/say] These, for you are clearly, the magic words.

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Bastien - 01-15-2020

[say]"Do you make art?"[/say] Bastien tossed back, not one to tell other people if they were artists or not without seeing some kind of interest. He believed anyone could be an artist, but so far he'd not seen any kind of creative inclination from Oia.

The way which Oia said 'any way' caused Bastien to pause, wondering just what idea she'd had. [say]"Ah, well..perhaps tell me the way you are considering. I'm not sure about any way, actually. I misphrased that."[/say] Knowing Oia, he half-thought she was planning to go and grab people by the shoulders and yell DON'T BE SAD in their faces, which wouldn't help at all.

Bastien had always been an empathetic soul, had usually found it easy to read the emotions and needs of those around him; having to explain how was difficult - it was instinct. Still, he would try his best. [say]"Well, if someone is crying, or hunched down, like this--"[/say] He curled inwards, hugged his arms. [say]"Perhaps their face is like this."[/say] Pulling an over-exaggerated sad face, he hoped it might show her what to look for.

Sitting back up, he realised this probably wouldn't cut it all the time. [say]"Or...perhaps, if you are polite, you could ask. If you see someone and you are not sure how they feel, say 'how are you'? And do not doubt the answer they give."[/say] Not that people were always honest, but Oia seemed prone to interrogate anyone just saying they were fine.

She smiled again and Bastien felt his heart warming to her, to the excitable student he'd suddenly found himself with. [say]"Just like that. I do not know everything, but I have learnt a lot in my life...been in very different places to this, met a lot of people. I will try help as much as I can. But it must always be at night, or an evening. And let's meet here. If you want to talk to me, knock on my door around this time. I will tell you, if I am in, if I am available."[/say]

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Oia'i'o - 01-15-2020

[say]'What counts as art?"[/say] If it's just making things, you make things all the time. Notes, plants, arguments. Is that enough to render you an artist? And if so, are you now obligated to join Bastien's guild?

[say]"Oh. Well. I can create alternative worlds."[/say] You reply casually, far too casually for the type of magic you wield. [say]"I could put someone into an alternative dimension and tailor it so that they work out their grief. Or so that they don't. They could see their loved ones forever and ever and never come out. Or...at least until I get tired."[/say] Then an idea occurs to you and you turn to Bastien brightly. [say]"I could wait by the memorial! And pull people in who are grieving!"[/say]

You watch with interest as Bastien pantomimes emotions for you. Flipping to a blank page in your notebook you scribble down what you're seeing. [say]"But..sometimes I see those faces when people are sick. Or sometimes people cry when they're happy."[/say] Frowning, you flip back deep into the pages you've already written upon. Your finger roams down the neat-writing until it stops, tapping on the page. [say]"Sometimes people say they're fine and I act like they are, but they actually aren't and they say I should have known anyways and I get in trouble."[/say] Rather than being frustrated, you simply appear sad. [say]"I don't mean to be impolite. I just...I don't understand."[/say] And it's true, you don't. Even when people tell you how they are, they're usually lying. Worse still, you're somehow expected to draw conclusions based on how eyebrows and nostrils flare and twitch.

Confidentially you write down Bastien's instructions. [say]"At night. Artist's Sanctuary. Knock and see if Bastien is available."[/say] These are rules you can certainly follow, and you beam appreciatively at this strange man.

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Bastien - 01-16-2020

[say]"Ah, you have struck upon quite the conundrum there."[/say] Bastien smiled, put a finger to his chin. [say]"What counts as art? Is it only that which is made intentionally, only that which passes some standard of quality? Or is anything none-essential to our survival art? This conversation, for instance."[/say] He gestured between them with one hand, the expression on his face clearly showing this was a favourite subject of his. [say]"It is not necessary for either of our lives. It is borne of curiosity and the human need to be more than simple animals."[/say]

Oia was remarkably casual about her ability to make 'alternate worlds', a concept that had Bastien's eyes widening. [say]"You...should at least ask permission first. Some people likely would not want that. ...I..."[/say] He'd heard of a lot of magic in Caido, but never anything quite like this. [say]"Would you show it to me? I have not lost anyone for you to return, but I would love to see one of these worlds you can create. That, indeed, sounds like art."[/say] Something that would make an incredible performance, he thought.

It seemed her inability to read emotions was leaving her quite frustrated, which Bastien supposed it would be; he didn't know if he had any real answers for her though. [say]"Perhaps, once you have introduced yourself, you should tell people you struggle with this, then they could explain to you their emotions as they come up. That way, you know where you stand. If they are cruel about your struggle..."[/say] He cringed, thinking of his own harsh words for her. [say]"...it is up to you if they are worth continuing to speak to."[/say]

The agreement had been made. [say]"Perhaps sometimes you may allow me to show you the pieces within the sanctuary and teach you of them? I could bring them out here, if it would make you more comfortable."[/say]

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Oia'i'o - 01-17-2020

[say]"Animals aren't simple."[/say] You say almost defensively, frowning. [say]"But you didn't answer my question. What counts as art?"[/say]

To this, you shake your head. [say]"Asking permission skews the results most times. If you know you are in an illusory situation, you will act differently. The same way people normally act differently when they are alone versus when they know they're being watched."[/say] You shrug. [say]"I am here to observe behaviour. Sometimes the behaviours I want to observe are reckless or dangerous, fatal even. So having the power to create the environment to encourage certain behaviours and watch certain outcomes in a world that isn't real, is helpful."[/say] That he wants to see what you can do makes you smile again. You do quite like this power. [say]"We can right now, if you want."[/say]

You blink at this suggestion, considering its merits and what it might be like. [say]"So...if I tell people that I have a difficult time perceiving and understanding emotional responses, that excuses future interactions that might otherwise be considered rude?"[/say] Maybe you could make a sign...or slips of paper you could hand out...

[say]"Maybe."[/say] You agree, almost slyly. It's like a poorly fitting mask or a child wearing clothing much too big; a poor imitation of the expression you're going for, but the essence is there. It's almost a joke, really.

RE: Calm thee down, you heathen child - Bastien - 01-19-2020

The simplicity of animals vs humans was a whole other debate Bastien could get into and he resisted for the moment, trying to focus on one big concept at once. [say]"Oh, but I did answer your question. You see, my point is that art can be anything. Really, the definition can only be made by you. What do you think is art, Oia'i'o? I gave you my answer."[/say] He was a firm believer that art was not something easily pinned down or boxed into any one definition or visual style; that it was a force understood differently by each person who looked upon it.

[say]"Well...perhaps you should not try to experiment on grieving people."[/say] Trying to frame it as she did, as if the mourners were a science project, he continued: [say]"You could easily offend them and then they will not want to speak to you again, may spread negative news about you. That would halt your future investigations, hm?"[/say]

As for himself, though, he was more than willing to try out the magic. Unsure of what was involved he held out a hand. [say]"Go ahead."[/say]

He nodded to Oia's question. [say]"It may not work with everyone, but no one can please every person. I think it would help you in the long run, though...or...your brother, is he more skilled at these things than yourself? Maybe he could try to tell people about your difficulties before you begin a conversation."[/say] Now that he thought about it, it was odd to see Oia without Kaimana hanging around somewhere nearby; until now he had thought them almost eternally bound, unable to be without each other.

Taking the answer of maybe with a grin, he laughed and did not push any further.