Court of the Fallen
so familiar a gleam - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: so familiar a gleam (/showthread.php?tid=2579)

Pages: 1 2 3

so familiar a gleam - Maea - 01-17-2020

In the end, Maea decided that the Greatwood was far too vast for her to find one person within. Even if she'd had a more specific location to go to, she was eager to get started on the mission Ludo had granted her, and that meant she would have to be efficient about certian things.

Though, you'd think a seer should have seen her coming...

Having discovered the name of the person she was to seek out on the Notice-board a few days ago, Maea had taken to hover about the ruins of the Temple. This Daughter of Mort had written on her note that she would come to this place in search of Safrin's Chosen, and while Maea was no such thing it was probably the only opportunity she would get to speak to this curious individual.

Perched on a particularly large piece of rubble from the ancient building, she stared chin in hand at the once beautiful remnants of the shrine. It pained her to see it destroyed. Not only for the historical value of the structure, or indeed all the memories contained within it - generations of worship, weddings and funerals, lives come and gone within the shelter of these walls - but also for the tragedy of losing a place so intrinsically tied to the gods.

It would have to be rebuilt of course. No doubt there were people who searched the records for the method to do this already, and Maea hoped to lend a hand when the time came... but for now, her thoughts were focused on another task.

[say]"Where are you, Delphia?"[/say] she muttered to herself, scanning the crowd of passersby. Most faces she knew, some with names to recall and relations to remember, and the pale eyes darted back and forth in search of one that was unfamiliar.

RE: so familiar a gleam - Delphia - 01-17-2020

Whispers, echoes, voices on the wind. It was rare when Delphia did not know she was wanted. She did not always know by whom, or why for, but the quiet mutterings of spirits always reached her ears. It was in this fashion that she was summoned from her yurt within the Greatwood and found herself walking around the settlement of the Hollowed Grounds. Though it wasn't the most graceful journey, her mind so focused on listening to the faint voices of those past she tripped and bumped into others with frequency.

But eventually she stood at the foot of the fallen Sanctuary, brows furrowing as she gazed at it. She made a note to visit a shrine of Safrin to pay respects for what ill had happened here.

The whispers renewed, and haunted gaze turned, falling on a girl as pale as any spectre. Quietly she approached, only after hearing her name whispered by the girl herself did she know this was indeed who she had been led to. [say]"Why, I am right here."[/say] she said gently, a hint of a warm smile radiating from her ghostly pale eyes.

RE: so familiar a gleam - Maea - 01-17-2020

Startled to hear someone speak right next to her, Maea got to her feet and turned. Before her stood a girl, seeming of an age with herself but taller and as full of color as Maea was without it. Dark hair, lovely freckled skin and eyes that all but made her recoil. The knowing in them was even more startling than the forget-me-not blue, gentled by the warm kindness. The albino girl realized she was smiling back, lost for words but warm on the inside as though she'd been hugged tight. Like this was not a stranger at all but rather an old friend she'd forgotten... It was the most peculiar thing.

[say]"... Hi,"[/say] she said, a little weakly. [say]"I've been looking for you."[/say]

Question was though, where did she go from here? How was she supposed to go from 'hello' to 'will you go hunting monsters' without making it strange? Maea wished she was better at dealing with people. Maybe if she were, she would know what to say.

RE: so familiar a gleam - Delphia - 01-20-2020

A light laugh escaped her lips, though it was an unsettling sound - like it ought be heard echoing through a dark, dilapidated building than coming from the pleasant looking young woman next to her. [say]"Ah, so it would seem the spirits spoke true and clear. I shall have to thank them for their guidance, as should you."[/say] she said head tilting slightly at the girl.

[say]"Why were you looking for me?"[/say] she asked, curiousity now peaked. It was not often she was called bt any other than the Fae, who knew of her gifts and would send for her when they required them. That this Grounder had managed to call for her so similarly, seeming without prior knowledge as to how, was indeed quite remarkable.

RE: so familiar a gleam - Maea - 01-21-2020

The laughter sent a shiver of goosebumps down her arms as the hair stood at the back of her neck. It was a beautiful sound, echoing and haunting. Maea almost wanted to ask the girl to laugh again so she could hear it one more time, experience the delightful thrill again. Her senses had been all aflutter ever since her encounter with Sunjata, all too aware of her own body and all it did. Setting it aside to think  on more pressing things was harder than it ought to be.

[say]"Spirits?"[/say] she asked curiously. [say]"What kind of spirit?"[/say] Maea often prayed and would not mind thanking any unseen benefactors for aid rendered, but she would love to know who - or what - she would be communing with. Sometimes drawing unwanted attention was a good way to get in trouble.

Thankfully, Delphia went straight to the point. It made things easier for Maea, who straightened her back and wrapped the ragged shawl tighter about herself. It made her look a touch spooky even in the bright light of day. Not a ghost, but not dissimilar to one either.

[say]"I was asked to find you. By Ludo. It gave me a task, and said to bring you along."[/say] Watching with interest to see what sort of response this revelation would bring on, Maea thought back to the recent encounter with her favored god with fondness. She was growing attached to the raggedly masked soul guide, and a few of her friends had suggested the feeling might be mutual. A bunch of wishful thinking, in her mind, though the affection from her part was definitely heartfelt.

She hoped Delphia would be interested in joining her. The deep connection the girl had with Mort intrigued her, drew her in like a moth to flame. Lantern light, in this case.

RE: so familiar a gleam - Delphia - 01-21-2020

[say]"The sort that fill the world, unseen but felt from time to time, neither fully part of this world nor the realm of my father."[/say] she said with fondness, looking around at that which only her eyes could see - undulating beings of energy, slightly twisted in this part of the world for its separate from the world but still beautiful and loved by the daughter of death. [say]"Neither good nor bad, but ever useful to those who listen."[/say] she said, answering but not as directly as the girl might like. Death and its counterparts could only ever be fully understood by those who had walked through the realm of Mort.

Her eyes glanced at the shawl then, widening for a moment in surprise before her gaze turned ever fond. [say]"What a thoughtful and lovely gift Ludo has bestowed upon you. They must cherish you very much. You are lucky to be so blessed by one so loved by Mort."[/say] she, the love she felt for the raggedly deity etched into each word. Ludo might be skeptical of her, but it did nothing to tarnish the devotion she felt for them.

And as the girl revealed her reason for calling for it, it became increasingly clear. Something must be amiss in the Greatwood, lest Ludo take care of it themself. [say]"I see. How thoughtful of them to send you with a guide then."[/say] she said, a hint of a smile in her eyes. [say]"Then let us go and complete this task, whatever it is."[/say] she added without hesitation.

Listening with interest to the description of the spirits, Maea reflected that there was much she didn't know about the world. Delphia looked about as though they were standing in the middle of the crowd, those haunting blue eyes focusing on things Maea couldn't see. It was a little eerie, but she did not question whether there was actually something to see.

[say]"I will be sure to offer my gratitude,"[/say] she assured. [say]"Is there anything I can do for them to that end? I'm afraid I don't see as well as you."[/say] Though she certainly wouldn't mind.

The pale Daughter seemed to recognize the shawl and Maea was somewhat taken aback by the interest, and by the words that echoed at least three other conversations she'd had in a short timespan. Said by the demigod, Maea had to question her own conviction that the rather frequent appearances of the ragged soul-guide were only fluke or whim.

[say]"Thank you. They've been very kind to me, even though I'm abandoned... I've every intention of living up to any expectations they might have."[/say] Her smile too was tender as she spoke of Ludo and there was a slight blush creeping along her cheeks; they had that affection in common, she and Mort's beloved daughter, and the notion warmed Maea. If possible she would like to befriend this person; already she felt drawn to her, to what she represented. Hopefully the white-haired girl would not make too much of a fool of herself on this little mission.

[say]"You want to go right away?"[/say] she asked, when Delphia seemed ready to leap at the task without delay. [say]"I can tell you more about the task first, if you prefer... I need to make some preparations before we leave in any case."[/say] Change into clothes better suited for the forest, fetch some weapons in case they were needed, tell someone where she was going... Her thoughts flitted to Sunjata. Perhaps... but she wasn't sure to what extent he would care about her whereabouts. Even if he had agreed to train her. Shoving the man quite brusquely from her thoughts, she decided he didn't need to know.

Delphia hummed, wondering if there was really anything the girl could do for the spirits whom she could not see or hear. It was not like they had wants or needs as humans did. [say]"Burn sage every so often within your home. It cleanses the negative to make room for the positive, and makes spaces welcoming for them to thrive and bring good with them."[/say] she said at length. It certainly wouldn't hurt. A good sage cleanse could trult change the feel of space.

Her head tilted though at the way Maea worded her response - even though I am abandoned - and it troubled her deeply. She understood the history behind it, but it hurt her to hear people speak as such. [say]"My father loves all souls, even those with magic. That Ludo extends you that warmth is no surprise."[/say] she said lovingly. Though, it was not the first such concern she had heard, and decided it was worth speaking to her father about .

[say]"Oh."[/say] Delphia said, then laughed lightly. [say]"Yes, I suppose preparations should be made. And it would be good to hear more of this task."[/say]

The instruction was simple enough, and Maea nodded her understanding with an easy smile, glad that she could indeed do something. The spirits had certainly been of great help if they truly brought Delphia to her, and a little incense was the least she could offer in return. She'd given far more valuable things to shrines and prayers before, after all.

To her surprise, the Seer was not put off by her admittance of being one of the less favored. Maea had expected her to, so deeply attuned to the gods as she were, and her expression reflected the astonished delight she felt at the simple acceptance. The warmth, the loving tone - it made her want to hug the dark-haired woman, cry and spill all the pain and hurt accumulated over the years...

She restrained herself.

[say]"Good, I'm glad you're so willing. Can we... perhaps go inside? I don't do well in the sunlight this particular season."[/say]

If Delphia would assent, Maea would lead them into the Temple and off to where the shrine had been. While the roof had caved in and light poured down onto the rubble in thick rivers, there was still far more shade than outside, if perhaps not any cooler.

[say]"When I asked Ludo if there was something I could do for it, I was told that there is a creature that are troubling the souls of those who are buried in Ludo's Woods,""[/say] Maea explained as she sat down on one of the few pews that still remained undamaged. [say]"I don't know what the thing is though, and Ludo did not specify. Do you know anythign about it?""[/say]

Delphia, insightful as she was when it came to the dead, was less so with the living, and so how deeply touched the pale girl was by her acceptance was missed by the demigoddess. But she had no issue following her into the Temple, destroyed as it was, to get away from the sun. She too was prone to sunburns, though likely not nearly so much as Maea.

Upon entering she found a place on the ground to sit, letting her long legs spread out as she listened to the young woman explain her task. [say]”Ah, yes. Likely the Cat Sith are back to their tricks.”[/say] she said, clicking her tongue as she shook her head. [say]”Pesky little creatures. They like to steal souls and play with them, which is rather unpleasant as I am sure you can imagine.”[/say] she said, smiling at her softly. [say]”They must trust you a lot to give you such a task.”[/say]

Again with the trust? While she was flattered that anyone would think she had the trust and affection of the dark god, Maea wasn't so sure. She couldn't quite bring herself to believe that she could be worthy of it, given all her obvious flaws and... inherent condition. But she did not argue the comment. She hoped Delphia was right, and if the demigod said it enough times... but perhaps that would merely make it less likely to come true. She wasn't sure how that worked.

[say]"Cat Sith,"[/say] she mused, tasting the unfamiliar word, letting it roll over her tongue. [say]"I see. That is indeed an unfortunate habit. What do they look like? Is there a way to persuade it away without vilence? I would rather not cause harm if it can be avoided."[/say]

She thought of the giant turtle she had once seen, and the way her magic and makeshift weapons had helped kill it before even trying to find out if it was even truly dangerous. Never again would she make that kind of mistake, or take the blood of innocent creatures on her hands unprovoked. Not even that of a soul-snatcher. If it even bled at all?

RE: so familiar a gleam - Delphia - 01-27-2020

Delphia smiled and nodded at her as Maea repeated the name of the creature. [say]”They look like large, black house cats with white spots on their chests. Though you’d never mistake one for a normal cat. It is a bit of an innate sense that they are otherworldly.”[/say] she said, pushing her hair out of her face with zero regard for how it ended up laying. It always looked a bit disheveled, and her appearance had never been something she cared much about. The body was temporary, the soul evergreen, and so it was her soul she put effort into.

[say]”Oh yes, I have never had to use violence to make a Cat Sith leave for a time.”[/say] she said, nodding as she spoke. [say]”They can be violent if provoked, so it is always good to have something with which to defend oneself, but they must simply be distracted and led away. And there are plenty of things curious cats enjoy besides souls.”[/say]

RE: so familiar a gleam - Maea - 01-27-2020

[say]"I see. Then I'll make sure to come prepared for all eventualities. I'm glad to hear we likely won't have to fight it, at least."[/say]

Maea listened with interest, wishing she had a notebook to write down the information in. Opting to commit it to memory, she wondered that this menace of Ludo's Woods would be a cat, of all things. But something about it also seemed... appropriate. Ludo was such a playful god, fond of toys and games, of festivals. Fickle and fey, they were rather catlike themselves. Perhaps it only made sense that other felines would be drawn to it?

[say]"There is so much in this world I have never seen or heard about,"[/say] Maea sighed, a tone of both awe and wistful longing in her voice. Leaning her chin in the palm of a hand and resting the elbow on her knee, she gazed at Delphia, wondering. Curious. [say]"I did not even know the gods might have children. You're truly the daughter of Mort? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just... so incredible."[/say]

Too wonderful, in a sense.

RE: so familiar a gleam - Delphia - 01-27-2020

Delphia smiled and nodded. [say]”Not all of the dangerous or bothersome creatures of Caido need to be handled with force. Rae would have surely grown bored if such was the case. Cleverness is as valued by nature as strength.”[/say] she reminded sagely, looking up at the ceiling. [say]”I am aware that this Hollowed Ground is home to many a monster, so it is easy to forget that lesson.”[/say] she added quickly, to make clear she made no judgement. People were products of their environments in a way. Someone like Maea might very well assume that violence was always necessary when dealing with pesky critters.

But her head tilted as she grinned at Maea affectionately. [say]”There is much that I have not seen or know of either. Such is the way of the world. Only the gods know all, and even that is skewed by their whim.”[/say] she said with a light laugh. Only Caido likely truly knew all, but none had heard from him in…forever. Truly a forever. Her question though made Delphia smile at her warmly, if only with her eyes now rather than her lips. [say]”I see, you would know how it is I truly came to be.”[/say] she said thoughtfully, looking back up at the sky and bits of remaining ceiling.

[say]”The gods do not procreate in the way humans do, though I suppose they could if they truly wished.”[/say] she said to clarify off the bat. [say]”My mother, Circe, was of the Thanatos family on the very Northern edges of the Greatwood, where they had lived as undertakers and soothsayers for generations. They have always been particularly devout to Mort given their trade. Circe was particularly devout, praying to Mort each day of her life, bringing him offerings, carrying out his will as best she could. And though he never appeared in all those years, he heard. When it became clear he needed help seeking out the lost souls of the Greatwood, he appeared to my mother, and asked that she carry a child destined to do his work, as Ludo was locked away in the barrier. Upon accepting this blessing, Mort placed within her womb my soul from his realm, a child begotten but lost within the first few hours of life. My physical body mostly resembles my mother…but my father clearly influenced a few of my traits if only for sentimentality’s sake.”[/say] she said with a light laugh, tapping her very full eyebrows, so much like Mort’s. [say]”My mother never married, nor did she try to replace his presence with another man, so Mort is the only father I have ever known. He would visit me once a year, sometimes more if there was some major event, like when my mother died. “[/say] she said smiling warmly at memories she held close to her heart.

[say]”So if you were to say I could only truly be the child of Mort if he had laid with my mother, then no, I am not. But I believe he would challenge the notion that he is not my father.”[/say] she said.