Court of the Fallen
Hall of the Lore King - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Hall of the Lore King (/showthread.php?tid=2584)

Pages: 1 2

Hall of the Lore King - Aonghas - 01-18-2020

It was time, Aonghas had told himself, to seek out the white-haired Sage. The offer had been brought up before and had been so easily hand waved, but it was now that the misplaced blond decided to actually carve a life out for himself here in Caido. And so this is why he found himself slipping through the stacks of the Athenuem without a care. With a new season upon them he had been out of the loop with the gathering for Fiat Lux, and with no real care about how those festivities had ended either. Nor had much attention been paid to the aftermath of the ousting of Wessex as monarch. His attempt at integrating with this place only got him so far, for now it was time to focus more on himself, as had suited him before his portalling here.

Aonghas liked the Atheneum however. The tomes offered a comfort in the scant knowlege they would offer him regarding the eccentricities of Caido and he was happy enough to lose himself within them. It was something new to him too, to have the preference of learning from the writings of predecessors than from their spoken words. That was easily chalked up to him feeling smaller in this world than he had ever felt before. So rubbing elbows with Gods, demigods and sorcerers or those of that ilk when you no longer held the same weight wasn’t easy.

Once set on making his way to the Loreseeker’s Guild to find its Provost, Aonghas stopping short when something large and dusty caught his eye. He gingerly lifted the tome from its housing in the stacks with the intent of having just a quick scan of it before returning to the mission he had firmly set in his mind.

Jigano

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Jigano - 01-18-2020

It had been a long morning tidying up the Guildhall and reshelving a number of books on the shelves there. He'd told Quanil that everyone took their turn at sweeping, and that included himself. Fancy titles didn't mean much in Caido, but effort certainly did, and it was something he was willing to put in for the guild that had been growing lately.

The last errand on the agenda had been going into town to trade for fresh supplies for the Hall, so that they could entertain guests with a bit of hospitality. Jigano was almost humming as he reached the Atheneum door to let himself back in, bags juggled precariously for a moment before Isuma swooped through to steady one so that he could continue on. The door swung shut behind, closing out some of the summer heat as the cool shadows of the great library welcomed him back, and he drew in a breath of old paper, musty leather, dry stone, and ancient dust. He held back the subsequent sneeze with the aid of long practice, and began his trip towards the Guildhall.

He almost didn't see the familiar blond head over the bags he carried. He paused for a moment as Isuma called his attention to the 'stranger' but as soon as he saw Aonghas's face a smile broke across his own. "Careful," he cautioned quietly, a note of friendly teasing in his voice. "Some of these tomes take 'getting lost in a good book' a little too literally! It's good to see you alive and well again, though. How have you been?" He didn't remember seeing his muddy friend at Fiat Lux, but that didn't mean he wasn't there. For him to be standing here whole and healthy was a relief, considering how many others couldn't say the same.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Aonghas - 01-21-2020

Turning to address the voice that spoke to him he raised an eyebrow at the sight of the bags held clasped in the arms of the Loreseeker but grinned at the slight teasing. Aonghas gently closed the book again and placed it back where he had found it and spoke with amusement in his voice. [say]“Aye, I’ve no doubt of that.”[/say]

[say]“It’s good to see you too in similar fortunes - and hello to you too”[/say]. He gave a short nod of his head to the young Gryphon, offering Isuma a courteous greeting. He hadn’t heard much of what had gone on at the festival other than there were casualties, and that those involved had little impact on him. It was good to see with his own eyes however that no such serious injuries had befallen his white haired friend. [say]“I’ve been well. Kept myself scarce for a while, something I’ve heard was probably a good thing.”[/say] He paused before continuing and reminding himself, as he always did, to offer the compassion that was expected in most humans. [say]“Terrible business, that, from the stories that followed… But it is good to see you in one piece, my friend.”[/say] Unsure if Jigano had been affected by the loses he offered what little affability he could.

Realising that the Sage had clearly been in the middle of something else Aonghas made a step towards him. [say]“Can I help you with this?” [/say] his arms had already subconsciously come away from his sides and his hands moved to a better position to offer assistance if accepted.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Jigano - 01-22-2020

It had been a friendly warning, not a joke, but Jigano grinned along anyways. Most of the Sentient Books weren't harmful, necessarily. Not compared to some of the other things Aonghas could run into, but perhaps they could discuss them later.

Isuma reep!ed happily at the greeting, fluttering over to the bookshelf near Aonghas's head to peer at him curiously, excited to meet this new friend when he wasn't so muddy and wet. Jigano's expression sobered at the reminder of Fiat Lux, and he nodded his head in agreement that the other man's absence may well have saved his life. "Thank you," he murmured, bowing his head in memory of those who were not so lucky. Amalia, confined to the Infirmary. Aoife, dead. Remi and Ronin taken...

It was just as well that Aonghas broke through with his offer of help, and Jigano found a small, rueful smile for the ex-nobleman. "I'd be glad for it," he assured the blond, shifting a satchel of bread and biscuits to the waiting hands while keeping the heavier burdens for himself. "What brings you to the Atheneum today? Doing a bit of research on anything in particular?" As he talked he led the way back through the shelves towards a metal-sheathed door with the emblem of an open book with rays of light coming from its pages upon the portal. Jigano juggled his remaining bags to retrieve his key and unlock the door, and Isuma dove through to lead the way down towards the faint glow reflecting up the short spiral of stone stairs beyond.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Aonghas - 01-23-2020

As Isuma fluttered by his head Aonghas watched her with some interest as she perched atop the bookshelf. So intent in his fascination with her he missed the sober look on Jigano’s face at the mention of the festival. There were still so many little individuals in this world he had yet to meet- getting his hands on a half decent bestiary would have served him well for his time ahead here. Still, he had come here for another reason today and he shook his head at Jigano’s question as he bundled the satchel into his arms.

[say]“Truth be told, I’d come here to look for you.” [/say] He said, waiting a moment before following a little behind the Sage. [say]“The last time we spoke you very graciously extended the invitation of joining your guild. I was seeking you out today to maybe take you up on that offer.”[/say] There wasn’t much point in him beating around the bush; the sooner he asked the sooner he would know the answer and perhaps have a little bit more of a purpose here in Caido. [say]"If you would still have me of course."[/say] He added coyly, trying not to assume the offer were still available.

When they stopped at the door Aonghas peered around the tall frame of the man in front of him, again distracted by the keenness of Isuma to guide them onwards.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Jigano - 01-23-2020

Jigano was surprised to hear that he had been the source of Aonghas's search, but he listened intently. His initial assumption that there was something the nobleman wished to know was quickly corrected, and he grinned delightedly at the request to join the Guild. It was both comforting and immensely gratifying that so many people wished to seek out the the Loreseekers, and with more people to go out and learn about the world they had a far better chance of making a real difference in it.

"The offer is very much open, and I'd be very glad to have your wit and curiosity among our ranks," he assured the blond. Opening the door caused a momentary break as he juggled around bags and keys, but once it was swung wide he led the way down the spiral stairs and into the room below.

The Hall was spacious, sunk beneath the level of the Atheneum but with a high ceiling from which hung a chandelier composed of mirrors rather than candles. At its center a glowing geode was hung, the light reflecting both from it and from clever mirrors that directed light from a room with a sunken window well into the center hall. Beneath the chandelier was a long, solid table of some ancient wood, and around it were placed sturdy chairs. Books and scrolls and parchment with notes were set at a few places, indicating projects in progress by other guildmembers. At the far end of the hall was a fireplace with a cleverly-wrought shield to catch sparks, and some overstuffed chairs set around it and the teacozy. Other than that, the walls were lined with bookshelves and four doors, two open to reveal smaller reading rooms, and two closed.

Jigano brought the bags to an empty space on the table and set them down, turning to smile at his newest potential recruit. "What holds the most interest to you, since you've come to Caido? Rather, what areas would you like to specialize in?" Next to the Guild's door had been a parchment pinned to the frame that listed the other guildmembers and their areas of study - so that those wishing to approach a knowledgeable Seeker in a specific field would know who to ask for.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Aonghas - 01-26-2020

Aonghas gave a slight smile at the notion he was still welcome to join the Loreseekers and then followed Jigano into the Guild Hall. However as soon as he crossed the threshold he found himself stopping to take in the sight of the Hall, and truly it was a sight to behold. There was some familiarity in the grandiose character of the room. It was something that reminded him of his own Halls he had presided over in his own domain. Something he was sure now he wouldn’t get to see again.

He remained where he was, not following Jigano further into the Hall just yet, and was instead hit with a feeling of misplaced nostalgia. However the Guildmaster’s question snapped him out of his momentary haze. He wasn’t entirely sure how to answer the question either. [say]“I suppose I can say the most fascinating thing to me since I arrived has been Caido itself. From what I understand there have been many obstacles blocking further exploration into the land… The barrier near the Spire that was brought down in the past year or so for example.”[/say] With a shrug he began to make his way over to where Jigano had put down the bags and placed the satchel he had been carrying down beside them.

[say]”I suppose I’d be most interested in pushing further into the land that seems to be resistant to visitors.”[/say] A hand came up to scratch the back of his neck. [say]”I do realise that Caido is full of people with capabilities far more impressive than my own. Those with abilities much like yourself-”[/say] He gestured to Jigano, thinking back to his healing abilities and his power over the earth in the Oasis. [say]”I’m also sorry to say that I’ve held no membership to any Guild before, if any existed in my lands I was unaware of them.”[/say]

[say]”I do hope though that regardless you can find some use for me.”[/say] He had wanted to nip that in the bud before the questions of his experience arose or before the chip on his shoulder about him losing his own abilities got any larger. [say]”Perhaps you could tell me a little about your other members? I’m a little at a loss of their names."[/say]

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Jigano - 01-27-2020

Aonghas's pause forced Jigano to stop as well, looking over the Hall with the fresh eyes of his friend and remembering what it had looked like when he'd first found it. It had become a place of warmth and light, cozy chairs and well-cared-for books, eclectic collections and curious questions surrounded by strong, sturdy stone... a far cry from the decayed and dusty paper wasp-infested basement it had been before.

Jigano did give his friend a rueful look at his non-answer of 'everything.' It was one he'd been hearing a lot lately, but he couldn't blame his Loreseekers for wanting to know as much as they could. "The barrier was one such," he agreed. "The god-storms are another. But with the portals open there are more options... depending on how you view the Voice's place in opening them."

A silver brow rose at hearing that Aonghas wanted to go where the Grounders were least welcome, but Jigano busied himself with setting their bags on the table and beginning to unpack the supplies of various teas, biscuits, scones, and bottles of beverages for those who preferred something a bit harder. He did pause to tilt his head and smile wryly in acknowledgment of the compliment, but stayed quiet as Aonghas hurried on, as if trying to ensure that the Provost's expectations of him didn't rise too high.

"Well," he began thoughtfully as he restocked the tea caddy by the fireplace. "I think you perhaps mean the Greatwood? We are free to walk their forest now - if you can learn the trick of navigating the shifting trees that keep spitting you back out where you started," he added with a chuckle. "But if you get too near Sidhe Village they will either imprison you... or possibly kill you," he amended, remembering the arrow that had struck Wessex at the Mathair. "They've suffered much from the Hollowed Grounds since the barrier came down, and their patience has dwindled considerably. Still, exploring the rest of the Greatwood would be a good way to start. We've hardly exhausted all there is to know about it in the single year we've had to poke around within its domain, and there's much we've yet to learn." He smiled encouragingly at Aonghas.

"The names of our current members are listed beside the door to the Hall, upstairs. It's why I asked for your interests; part of being a Loreseeker is not just slaking your own curiosity, but sharing what you know and learn with others. If people in the Settlement - or beyond, now - have questions, they are welcome to come and ask us. Knowing which Seeker specializes in which field can help them narrow down who to approach. For instance, if you have questions about the Greatwood you should speak to Tarasha. They are one of our newest members, and a Fae who grew up in the Greatwood. Samuel Wordsworth and Amalia Chandrakant are Naturals from the Hollowed Grounds who are senior members; Sam is our Chronicler, a bookmaker and an Ascended devotee of the Voice. Amalia is a baker, and is a devotee of the Old Gods - particularly Safrin. Maea, recently returned, and Quanil, our youngest Seeker, are also Naturals; they're both former farmers who now pursue knowledge within the Guild. Ingrid is an Outlander from Halo, the land of eternal winter to the west, a priestess of the old gods by trade and Loren... Loren is a fellow Outlander, very bright and a talented and powerful mage, but he has endured a great deal of tragedy and loss lately. I... don't know if he'll be around much for awhile," the bard ended sadly.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Aonghas - 05-11-2020

Aonghas noted the rueful expression on Jigano’s face. He shifted uncomfortably before he had straightened up and continued into the Hall. As the Sage spoke of the portals his interest was piqued but left that as a topic to explore later. His brow furrowed at the mention of the Voice, he already knew there was split public opinion on it. However to him it was yet another God to have nothing to do with.

As Jigano spoke of the Greatwood Aonghas listened keenly. Getting lost in the woods at this point didn’t seem too off-putting for him. He looked up curiously at the name Sidhe, he wondered for a moment if it was perhaps related to the Other World spirits he knew of. Perhaps getting lost in the woods was definitely something he should be adding to his agenda at some point in the near future. [say]”Yes I suppose our previous monarch really marred any hope of peaceful arrangements between ourselves and the Fae.”[/say] There wasn’t much tone behind the statement, just a spoken observation. [say]”It’s a great shame really. We could have learned much from natives…”[/say] Aonghas felt his brow crease again, all too familiar with the fallout of when ignorant mortals tread where they don’t belong.

[say]”Although I agree with exploring the rest of the Greatwood, as much as possible without any toe stepping of course.”[/say] He followed up with a nod.

Aonghas cast a glance over his shoulder to the entrance of the Hall, beyond which the list of members had been stationed by the door. He hadn’t taken the opportunity to look at it. Feeling a little guilty for making Jigano recite each member he listened earnestly. Something he was painfully aware of were his lack of magical gifts, or that he wasn’t a native. When the wondering of what exactly he could offer the guild crept into his mind he felt himself inch backwards a little. [say]”I’m sorry for Loren.”[/say] He spoke with sincerity in his voice. [say]”From all I have seen he is a great mage. His absence is a loss.”[/say]

His hands lingered on the satchel, his fingertips apprehensively traced the fastenings before he spoke. [say]”I do wonder then, if I have perhaps offered myself prematurely. I realise that compared to the Guild’s other members I am at quite the disadvantage of offerings.”[/say] Visibly uncomfortable with what he was saying, the Celt tried correcting himself. [say]”But I have no purpose here in Caido and I hope to change that. If I can contribute anything, even if just another body to throw at cleaning the stacks, then I would be grateful.”[/say] Speaking so lowly of himself felt like ash in his mouth. However, if he were able to busy himself in any way he had hoped it would ignite a sense of purpose, or give him some feeling of control back.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Jigano - 05-12-2020

”That she did,” Jigano agreed dryly, not bothering to keep the hint of frustration from his voice. ”But there are still some Fae willing to reach out and overlook the past to speak with us. We just have to be much more tactful in our interactions with them, now, to make sure we don’t make things worse.” Something all too easy to do, even when the Grounders had approached the Fae with the best of intentions. He glanced over his shoulder, giving Aonghas a rueful smile as the other man agreed with him at the interest of further exploration.

The condolences were unexpected but touched the Provost as he finished putting the supplies away and dusted his tunic off. ”Oh, he’s not gone forever,” he said with a grateful smile. ”He’ll remain a personal friend, and an ally of the Guild, I’m sure, but his interests have taken him elsewhere for now. The Loreseekers aren’t a prison,” he added. ”You can leave at any time, for any reason. And in most cases you can rejoin when you’re ready, too.” He gave a slight shrug, calmly accepting of Loren’s choice.

Jigano gestured to a chair, slipping into one himself to encourage Aonghas to stay awhile. He watched his friend’s face curiously, wondering what had caught at the blond’s mind to cause such discomfort, but stayed quiet to give the other man time to speak. He was already shaking his head at the first sentence, but he held himself back to let Aonghas finish before he opened his mouth again. ”Not at all. You bring a fresh viewpoint to the Guild, another way of looking at the information that we gather. All that is needed is a strong sense of curiosity and an ability to stay alive,” he added with a wry smile that held a touch of seriousness. ”All of us Outlanders have been in your shoes before, so don’t worry about what others have now. You’ll grow into the world as you find your niche, and I would be honored if that niche was with us, learning new things about Caido and sharing them with your fellow scholars and explorers.”

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Aonghas - 05-19-2020

A small smile crept over the blonde’s lip as the Sage seemed to agree with his observation. Aside from playing in the mud the Celt had come to expect a certain reservation in regards to the emotions from his new friend. Letting some earnest feelings and opinion through was definitely welcome. Remaining quiet he listened as Jigano continued. It was odd, but he felt comforted by the knowledge the Fae, despite recent events, were still willing to make contact with the Grounders. He did however note the rueful smile.

Feeling corrected by the Loreseeker’s words Aonghas felt himself straighten up in some outward display of righting his error. Guild’s weren’t exactly familiar to him after all. “Ah I see. My lairdship is -” he stopped himself with a pained expression, “ was, small. I’m sure it is apparent that I don’t have much of an acquaintance with such organised groups.” From what he knew of humans, they were fickle at best so to hear Loren’s capabilities were still welcome to the Loreseekers was promising.

Noting the gesture Aonghas sat himself down, but dared not make eye contact until he had finished speaking. He hated to see pity in the eyes of another, moreso directed at himself. Once again the Bard’s tactful tongue saved the conversation and Aonghas felt reassured. A somewhat theatrical sigh of relief left him when Jigano noted his fresh viewpoint, but he matched the seriousness of the tone with the Loreseeker’s follow up…

Finding a niche… That was something he had been wracking his brains for since he arrived. He had come up short, something that matched his mortal -feeble-  body in usefulness. Taking a measured pause before he spoke again, Aonghas wanted to choose his words carefully. “Thank you, Jigano…”

“I’ve felt nothing but welcomed here in Caido, much of that thanks to your hospitality.” he gave as deep a bow as he could, in his seated position, to his friend sat opposite.

“I offer nothing but my entirety to fulfilling the needs of the Guild, if only so it will help me find my own place here.” The overdramatic gravitas of his words were as sincere to him as any lost creature. He meant it; as much as he could.

There was a better part of him that told him to stop with his weak line of questioning, however the greater part of him, the part that yearned for the human presence persisted. ”When you first arrived… I am curious. I can’t help but feel in my previous life that I were meant for more…” He stopped himself again, from not explaining exactly what it was he meant.

The pause was punctuated with a sobering breath. He gave Jigano a sorrowful look as he pressed on however. ”How were you able to continue on here after your arrival? Starting this Guild. Finding a greater purpose here?” Aonghas’ voice seemed to crack as he spoke; his eyes not breaking contact.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Jigano - 05-21-2020

Jigano's eyes creased momentarily in empathy for the attempt to switch from present to past tense, and he gave a slight nod of understanding. "It's nothing to worry about. There are many who come from worlds where they don't have Guilds," he assured the blond nobleman as they sat, hoping that Aonghas would be able to relax a little as they spoke.

Other assurances fell from his silver tongue, but they were sincerely meant and he met Aonghas's eyes squarely when the other man looked up at him again. He nodded his head gravely in acceptance of the thanks, but he waited to respond as he could hear the lingering thought at the end of the words. "I won't ask your entirety," he demurred with a wry twist of a grin. "You'll need some of that for yourself, of course. But we'll gladly accept what you're willing to give. And we'll see what we can offer in return, as well. As a member of the guild, you can choose a room here in the Atheneum, if you'd like. We've two available for guildmembers who don't have their own place yet." Small, cozy, and conveniently located in the heart of Sanctuary! Location, location, location, as the wise man said.

The white head tilted curiously as Aonghas continued, Jigano watching his friend with a solemn gaze as the blond pulled his thoughts together and ended with his questions, earning a return of the wry smile. He met the sorrow he found on his friend's eyes without flinching, though, as he paused to gather his own memories. "It was not so bad, for me," he said quietly. "I had become a wandering bard on my world, calling no place home and having left my friends behind. I had few ties to regret losing... and a great many bad memories to be grateful I was leaving behind. Coming to Caido was, for me, a chance at a new beginning." He snorted softly, but there was more true humor and less bitterness in the sound than there had been in seasons past. "I brought my ghosts with me in spite of myself, of course, but... starting over here was nothing I regretted at the time. There weren't many other Outlanders arriving when I did, and few enough willing to reach out a hand to help a newcomer. I had more help from the Naturals than my fellow Outlanders."

Sam and Amalia and Rory, ever his truest friends. "So it only made sense to change that. To seek out answers that Outlanders didn't have and Naturals had forgotten, and to help those who came after I did." He paused, then offered a slight shrug. "I suppose it was a matter of finding what was lacking and filling that hole as best I could." Though there were plenty who would be just as happy for his Guild to never have been formed... or at least, to have new or different leadership.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Aonghas - 06-05-2020

There it was; the look of pity he begrudged so much. Aonghas did his best to right himself once more. A somewhat forced breathy laugh left him at his own foolish remark about giving his entirety. He definitely needed whatever was left of his effort to control these wily emotions overcoming him, at least in this particular moment. Listening intently to what the Sage said next, Aonghas contemplated the offer of taking up lodgings within the Antheneum. “Thank you for the offer. I would appreciate that.”

Dealing with humans had always been an interesting venture for the Kelpie, there was something so earnest to the interactions that he tried to meet halfway. He wasn’t ever sure how disingenuous he came off. With the words that followed, Aonghas had made sure to keep his gaze down until the very end. It had been a muddle of shame  and his own humanity shinning through. When he finally did look up and met Jigano’s eyes he made sure to listen to his words with the care in which the Bard had offered him.

There was a great pang of many uncomfortable feelings in his chest when Aonghas thought of what he left behind, and he knew he would’ve been more at peace had he been able to leave his own heart there too. There had been some consternation to Jigano’s voice that creased Aonghas’ brow. He tried not to pry into the goings on of the Head of the Loreseeker’s life… However, he supposed now he could call him a friend. This hadn’t been what he had used his human form for before, so to the best of his understanding the pair were friends. ”Perhaps I am lucky then, to have access to those who have been through the same experience of arriving here to aid me”, Aonghas replied in regards to the notion of being helped by Naturals.

It was, however, what followed that truly stung. He remained quiet some time after the Sage had finished speaking. Normally able to keep up with with a light quip, Jiagno’s words sank in him like lead. What was lacking… It was hard not to think of that phrase more personally. What was he lacking? He thought he knew that well enough, the pain in his chest told him so. He was still grieving quietly for what he found to be the purpose of his very spirit. The struggle was moving on from that to be useful in any meaningful way.

Realising his silence had gone on long enough, Aonghas managed to right himself once again. “I would be glad to assist with the knowledge lacked, specifically with Naturals we have limited contact with”, he thought of the strained relations with the Fae. ”And of course, I understand there has been new land made aware to us via the portals….”

Aonghas had his questions about the portals, what with having zero interaction with them himself. ”Although, I am curious as to how safe these portals actually are, especially in regards to how they were opened”. Eyebrows lifted he gazed to the bard curiously, offering him either the opportunity to answer the interpreted question or ignore it completely.

RE: Hall of the Lore King - Jigano - 06-10-2020

Jigano nodded, glad to have more people in the old library to liven it up, especially Loreseekers. ”I can show the rooms to you after this, if you’d like,” he offered quietly, though by no means in any hurry. Aonghas could take his time in choosing one that suited him another day as easily as this one.

The other man’s gratitude at having helping hands to welcome him and help him settled in brought a smile to the Provost’s face, and a graceful inclination of his head as he accepted the compliment for what it was – earned and worked for, and much appreciated for that reason.

Something the bard had said had clearly resonated, his newest Seeker and friend lapsing into a silence that seemed unlike his more usual cheerful veneer. The topic was not an easy one, however, and Jigano was content to give the other man silence and space to consider his words, turning his attention instead to rising and going to heat tea. It was an old standby for difficult conversations, a comfort and an excuse to gather thoughts while one sipped. He was a little surprised when Aonghas spoke up again more quickly than he anticipated, and he glanced over his shoulder with a wry smile. ”That would be a help, thank you. And yes, Torchline… a tropical paradise, if you don’t mind the thieves and conmen walking the port town’s streets,” he added with a rueful chuckle. ”Even so, I recommend it. Taking shelter there for LongNight, if nothing else.” There were far too many staying behind for his peace of mind. Too many likely to die from their folly…

Himself not least among them.

The question on portals drained the smile away, and the bard sighed and shook his head as he ambled back to the table while the kettle heated on the hob. ”A question many are asking,” he admitted. ”And so far… safe enough. Even the Old Gods seem to admit to that. The danger is less in the portals themselves than in the acceptance of them – and by extension, the Voice – as a ‘necessary evil.’” He shook his head, smile returning though it was rueful and perhaps a bit jaded. ”Though the choices presented are hardly welcome. The elemental storms surround the Grounds and the Greatwood, preventing us from traveling by sea or foot beyond these two regions. To get anywhere else the portals are the only way. So the question becomes: to accept the cage the Old Gods have placed, or to accept the Voice’s help? As of yet, we have no other options. Something I would dearly love the Guild expand on and find alternatives to,” he added grimly.