Court of the Fallen
the time ticks by - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: the time ticks by (/showthread.php?tid=2749)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: the time ticks by - Sunjata - 02-28-2020

And yet, Korofi had no snow, no landsharks, no LongNight. No creatures that were hard to imagine like the monsters of LongNight, no deer with glowing antlers like the Luxere. And he listens to Quanil as he takes a deep drink of his own whiskey, gaze lingering on them as they question what the wars were over to better understand them. A swift nod is given to the summing up of the information given. “[say]Yes.[/say]” A quiet agreement.

But the mention of festivals and rituals, he almost smiles sadly as he sets the glass atop the table once again. “[say]We had… Rituals, yes, but no festivals like here. Some celebrations and dancing but it was all for show. Nothing ever truly for fun and letting loose.[/say]” He pauses to purse his lips as he thinks on it. “[say]Marriages were arranged, and we were held to a certain standard – given trials every few years for varying reasons, and forced to pass them or we’d die.[/say]” He wonders if by the comment given, if Quanil would sum up the fact that in this other world, Sunjata had been one of the royals. He doesn’t say it, but it’s implied with the way he holds that deeply intimate information regarding the nobles habits and way of life.

RE: the time ticks by - Quanil - 03-01-2020

Pretending to have fun.
Someone else choosing your partner for you.
Tests of various abilities that could mean your death.

Quanil's brow furrowed and they looked down to the wine and then up, taking in the VlamVloed around them and Miss Haai's happy cuteness. "I, um... I don't mean any offense, Mr. Sunjata, sir, but I think you might be better off here." But that brought up a question (a common occurrence). "Is there anything about your home you miss?"

RE: the time ticks by - Sunjata - 03-01-2020

Sunjata doesn’t miss Quanil’s brow furrowing, and he studies them quietly while they look around the bar, to Haai who’s content to lay upon the top of the bar the rest of the night. And his head tilts a small amount as Quanil mentions they don’t want to offend him – somewhere deep down imagining that it’s relatively hard to do, unsure if anyone really had offended him. So when Quanil tells him that they think he’s better off here, it’s met with a toothy grin. “[say]I think so too.[/say]” A quiet agreement, a raise of his glass before he downs the rest of the contents and the glass clinks against he wooden top of the bar.

The next question though has his gaze narrowing somewhat before he looks around the bar. “[say]A few things.[/say]” His lips purse thoughtfully. “[say]I miss the technology. I miss my guns…[/say]” He trails off, waiting to have to explain what those were – because nobody here knew what those were aside from Adam. And well, we’d soon find out where that ended.

RE: the time ticks by - Quanil - 03-01-2020

"Guns?" Quanil is nothing if not predictable curious. Unendingly curious. "Are they pets? Furry or feathery or both, like Miss Haai?"

RE: the time ticks by - Sunjata - 03-02-2020

”Guns?” He hears Quanil ask, and it’s like an age old thing he’s gotten used to explaining. But when Quanil picks up soon after asking if they’re pets Sunjata breaks into a broad grin at that before he shakes his head. “[say]Oh, no. They’re not pets.[/say]” Nothing even close to it to be honest. So he slides the glass away from where his palms can rest on the bar top, and he grabs a sheet of parchment and his quill to sketch out a rough design of a gun.

Showing to Quanil, he gestures to both the barrel and the trigger. “[say]It’s like a bow. But the arrows are really small and they explode when they leave here, and shoot quite a ways away. Instead of pulling a string back, you pull on this and it activates it instantly.[/say]” His steel gaze flits up to look at them with a raised brow, prepared for more questions.

RE: the time ticks by - Quanil - 03-02-2020

Quanil studies the drawing. "Tiny exploding arrows?" They consider the rest of their new friend/landlord/boss's words. "I suppose that would make it easier for weaker people to shoot, if you don't have to draw a bowstring back. Good for hunting, I'd guess?" And... well... the obvious, but they didn't want to think about that.

They look up from the sketch. "Are the explosions very loud? They might scare off prey if you were hunting. I suppose if you hit your target on the first go, or lame them, it doesn't matter. But if the arrows are tiny... Hn. You'd have to be a really good shot."

They can't help thinking they might be able to use something like this, given how puny they are. Though they're not sure how good a shot they are; their parents never let them anywhere near anything that could be reasonably considered a weapon.

RE: the time ticks by - Sunjata - 03-02-2020

“[say]Very good for hunting.[/say]” He agrees, though he never quite adds the addition of whether he means animals or people, but the results were often the same. You could kill or lame a person easily – he had gotten shot once before in his thigh as well, and that had taken him out for awhile until he’d gotten the piece removed and managed to get back onto his feet.

The mention of the explosions has Sunjata nodding a small amount, head tilting as he considers it – the tip of the quill tapping against the parchment in thought. “[say]You can fire them pretty fast though, this part here also serves as a reserve for more of those smaller arrows. They’re called bullets.[/say]” He explains, moving down to draw the rough shape of a bullet before he looks back to Quanil. “[say]The hardest part about them is the recoil. Because they explode, it can mess up your shoulder or your arms a little bit.[/say]”

It’s a bit of a nostalgic thought, and with it, he reaches up with his freehand to brush against his shoulder where the stock of a larger gun had settled when he’d enforced – how the muscle and callouses there were gone now. He supposes he doesn’t need them anymore at the very least.

RE: the time ticks by - Quanil - 03-02-2020

"Well, it's a very good design. If you could find a proper engineer, a good smith... you could probably re-create it. If you wanted to."

They didn't look much like arrows. No fletching, for one thing. How did they stay stable without the fletching? It just looked like a bit of ...stone? metal? Though, they had to admit, if you threw a rock at someone, it'd hurt a lot. They'd been on the bad end of a pebble now and again.

They guessed the explosion must throw the 'bullet' really, really fast, essentially. Which would also explain the pain to shoulders and arms.

"Maybe it's better not to be around all those explosions," they mused.

RE: the time ticks by - Sunjata - 03-03-2020

“[say]Adam has two pistols.[/say]” Sunjata comments quietly, his head cocking as he looks to the drawing and taps at it again with the quill before he places it back in the ink and drums his fingers along it. “[say]It would take a lot of trial and error though… The technology here isn’t quite as advanced as back home.[/say]” He purses his lips as he looks back to Quanil with a small shrug of his tattooed shoulders to that.

Though as he rubs the shoulder of his in some part nostalgia and some part annoyance, he does manage to smile to their musing. “[say]I was around them quite a lot actually.[/say]” And there’s something toothy and almost predatory in the amused smile that crosses his face. “[say]I was shot once too.[/say]” Another rise and fall of tattooed shoulders before he leans forward toward Quanil. “[say]I don’t recommend that though.[/say]” The getting shot part, not the part about being around them.

RE: the time ticks by - Quanil - 03-03-2020

Quanil's eyes widen. The bar around them is starting to get a little fuzzy but Mr. Sunjata is still pretty clear. "You got shot?! I mean, obviously you're okay now, but yeah, I don't think getting shot is a good idea, no matter how big the arrow is or whether it explodes or not!

"I haven't been. Shot that is. Or in any fights, really. Part of the reason that Provost Silversmith wants me to stay close to the Hollowed Ground for now; I'm not really experienced enough to go exploring yet. At, um, anything."
They clear their throat and then remember that this is their boss-landlord person. "But quick learner, like I said! Really! I'll be real good at cleaning up, you'll see!"

It's... probably not a good idea to keep asking Mr. Sunjata about what he misses from back home. It might make him sad. Don't want to make anyone sad, especially not when you're gonna live in his bar. Quanil nods in agreement with their own thoughts. Nods a lot. Yeah. Yeaaaaah.

RE: the time ticks by - Sunjata - 03-04-2020

“[say]I was shot in the leg.[/say]” He says with a quiet hum of amusement, shrugging to it. “[say]They took the bullet out and it healed fine, but it’s certainly not something I want to do again.[/say]” A nod to that before he settles in and focuses on Quanil when they explain what Jigano had planned for them. And it makes sense, he supposes, based off of how young they look. Jigano always had a tendency to try and protect those he could until they were strong enough to handle things on their own.

So he nods, smile widening and bright in response to Quanil’s comment of being a quick learner. “[say]Good, I look forward to it.[/say]” A wink is given toward them as he reaches for his glass again. “[say]I recommend checking out the barracks if you haven’t. Should be plenty of training opportunities there.[/say]” A brief pause. “[say]I’m sure Maea has a good idea about it as well. I’ve been training her.[/say]” He explains with a slight wave of the hand that hovers over his glass.

RE: the time ticks by - Quanil - 03-06-2020

"Maea the Disappeared?!" they asked, hearing a familiar name. It was quite the story, after all. Maea'd been a story - a rather sad one - for a long time. "She seems nice, but I haven't talked with her much. I'm glad she made it back from being disapparated. What's she like? Mama always thought she was concagious with somethin' but I never thought so 'cause no one else in the family seemed to have whatever it was when they were around ohhh it's so sad but she's not sad now right?!"

RE: the time ticks by - Sunjata - 03-07-2020

Maea the Disappeared? Sunjata’s brow raises slightly – having never quite heard that term for her. But he nods all the same, still somewhat confused about it. But he doesn’t have time to ask any questions, not as Quanil continues to speak. “[say]She is nice.[/say]” He offers to Quanil with a slight smile to that. “[say]Stubborn but nice.[/say]” His lip shifts to something like a smirk before he shakes his head and looks to his glass, swallowing down any superficial feelings he holds for her now.

“[say]She’s getting checked out for what might be the cause of it soon.[/say]” He informs Quanil, lifting his gaze back to them with a softer smile to that – the smirk shifting to something soft. “[say]I don’t think she is sad right now, no. I hope not.[/say]” A quiet chuckle to that – having already made some small part of reparations for what had occurred before in the river.

RE: the time ticks by - Quanil - 03-07-2020

Quanil started nodding again, beaming happily. "Oh, that's good 'cause it's bad for people to be sad. I don't want anyone to be sad, but I bet it's hard to be sad with Miss Haai around, right?" They looked to the little gryphon and giggled. "And the nice wine." Another giggle. "Hard to be sad with the nice wine."

And, even through the pleasantly hazy fog that was starting to curl around their eyes and brain, their mind still whirled like an endless top. "Is that way you run a bar? 'Cause all the happy wine? To make people nice with happy wi-... no, happy with nice wine? And the other stuff," they gestured grandly to the bottles available behind the bar, "'cause I bet it also makes people happy. It's nice of you to run a bar to make people happy." They seemed to have answered their own question.

All typos/wrong words/etc. are in character and appropriate and I wish I had this excuse all the time.