Court of the Fallen
people watching (OPEN) - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: people watching (OPEN) (/showthread.php?tid=3050)

Pages: 1 2 3

people watching (OPEN) - Delta - 04-01-2020

Picking the perfect place to people watch was surprisingly difficult. One had to choose the location precisely for a number of reasons. One, there had to actually be people to watch. For some reason, hardly anyone ever came super far out it seemed, meaning a few places were just out of the question. What's the fun in staring at a bunch of rocks for a few hours with the hopes that someone would maybe just happen to show up? Bor-ring. Two, there couldn't be too many people. It's hard to really notice anyone when there's way too many people. Besides, it's not fun to see tons of crowds and hear everyone talking over each other. Nothing is learned that way and unwanted attention may be garnered. Three.... is there a third thing? Staying safe was absolutely important, a must even, so once more: Selecting a spot is a hard and important process.

Thankfully, Delta had been living here for so long that everything was easy! Until- a bunch of random people started showing up! Not people from Torchline- people from elsewhere. Remembering her little guidelines she had made for herself, Delta settled herself in at the coast, watching for people and hoping that something exciting- but not too daring- happened.

RE: people watching (OPEN) - Loren - 04-01-2020

Loren had hesitated for quite a while before venturing back out to Torchline. After the debacle with Seren, he had little interest in encountering any of the Taliesins, not until things had cooled off. However, he refused to let his fear and self-doubts cause him to run away again.

Besides, the halls of the Palace were still too empty, lonely, sad, and cold for his tastes these days.

So he'd gone through the portal, and made his way down the coast. Shucking off his clothes, leaving them carelessly on the beach, he started wading into the water. His expression was grief-stricken, but it wasn't long before he was swimming, putting a little too much effort into the slightly awkward strokes.

Still, at least this way the salt water disguised the tears streaming down his cheeks.

RE: people watching (OPEN) - Delta - 04-02-2020

Not too many people were seemingly active- until she saw a figure in the distance. Tilting her head, she watched as a human declothed himself and made his way into the water. The man didn't notice her and even started swimming... but something did feel a bit off. His strokes were different than the professional ones she had seen. Diving back under the water, she proceeded to swim over towards him, hoping that maybe she would be able to talk to him and figure some things out. After all, it wasn't often that she got to speak with a non-merfolk.

Resurfacing now far, maybe a maximum of 8 feet away, she watched and waited, hoping that maybe he would notice her. She didn't want to be rude and just swim right in front of him! Poking him was also out of the question since that's also very rude of her to do. If all was well, she'd get his attention and maybe he'd even be able to talk with her! [say]"Hello?"[/say]

RE: people watching (OPEN) - Loren - 04-02-2020

Loren did indeed notice the young woman's head as it popped up from the water. Frowning, he stopped swimming forward, simply treading water. [say]"Hello?"[/say] His eyes tried to look at her under the surface of the water. They widened when he realized that she had a tail, of all things.

There'd been many rumors of mermaids in Torchline, but he'd never actually encountered one before now. So he could help the awkward way he continued to stare at her. [say]"Can I uh, help you miss?"[/say] He stammered out the question, and he forced himself to take a deep breath and shake his head slightly, trying to collect his scattered and gloomy thoughts.

The mysterious man before her stopped swimming and soon, all eyes were on her and boy- were they wide! The reaction earned a little giggle from her. Had this been his first time seeing a merperson? Surely not! They were pretty common and could be decently friendly at times. Then again, there had been some strange new people arriving, so maybe he was one of them? No matter, any person to talk to would be fun and the fact that he was so surprised only made Delta feel even safer around him.

Tilting her head to the side, she let out a hum as she contemplated the question. Did she need help? [say]"No, no I don't need any help, and no need to call me miss."[/say] She let out a small fit of laughter at that. She wasn't a miss! A miss is for someone a lot older, even if he was trying to be kind or respectful. It was too sophisticated and he didn't need to be using such language with her. [say]"I guess I just wanted someone to talk to... and maybe I could help you work on your strokes?"[/say] It was an attempt at a joke, awkward as it may be.

[say]"I was hoping to talk to a human today. Just learn more about them,"[/say] Would she blatantly ask him? Probably not, but this was as obvious of a request as she would say. Besides, she could still people watch if he said no, plenty of other humans on the surface to choose from!

Blinking, still clearly surprised and a bit confused, Loren's eyebrows rose. [say]"O-kay?"[/say] Obviously he was befuddled by this interaction. However, his normal natural curiosity was severely blunted by sorrow, and he couldn't exactly find the wonder in the situation.

Brow furrowing, his steady tread faltered a bit. [say]"Um...sure?"[/say] His strokes picked up again, lifting him higher in the water once more.

[say]"A...a human. Right."[/say] Clearing his throat, he looked awkwardly to one side. [say]"Forgive me for asking, but are you a mermaid?"[/say] His cheeks flushed a little with embarrassment. [say]"But anyway, yes, you can talk to me."[/say] However, he still didn't know what to make of this situation.

The man was clearly confused... but not necessarily by her. He seemed like there was something wrong. The way that he was so slow, the way the words left his mouth. It was weird, stunted, and unnatural. The interaction was far from as wonderful as Delta had thought of. Were all of the landwalking people like this?

There was a bit of a hope, a small light. The man proceeded to ask what must've been a major question to him. [say]"Yes? There's nothing wrong with asking that."[/say] Why he had asked something so obvious, Delta would never understand. It should've been a given that she was a mermaid. Did the human think she were something else? That this was magic being used to disguise her as a mermaid? Clearly, it was his first time meeting one.

Once he agreed to talk with her, she grinned before pausing for a moment. Right. The human was acting weird. [say]"Would you like to swim over to some rocks that you can sit on? I don't want you to get tired."[/say] That would be bad. She wasn't sure if she was strong enough to save a person from drowning. It hadn't really come up and she wasn't about to see it happen.

Still blinking, features more than a bit surprised and confused, he finally sighed. [say]"Sorry. I've never met a mermaid before."[/say] It came out half-muttered, and he had to shake his head once again as he tried to gather his thoughts. [say]"It's a lot to take in."[/say] Which was quite an understatement.

At her offer he took a deep and calming breath. [say]"Thanks, but I'm actually trying to tire myself out. And I can support myself if my limbs can't do it any longer."[/say] Reaching out with his magic, he made a circle of water rise around them in a small wall before letting it crash back down to the ocean's surface, spraying them.

So she was his first mermaid! Aw!!! That's super cool! Delta is clearly surprised by it and finds herself smiling. [say]"No need to apologize! That's super cool! So you just haven't seen one of us before?"[/say] That left a lot of questions. Did this man just not come to Torchline before? Maybe he just had some badluck with the mermaids? What does he currently know about mermaids? So many fun things to figure out!

But not everything was fun. His next comment was super troubling. The girl frowned and gave him a weird look. [say]"Why do you want to tire yourself out?"[/say] Then he did something that she didn't really expect. The worry still stood, but now she was growing steadily more excited. Someone else had water magic! [say]"I also have water magic! Look!"[/say] She proceeded to make a small orb of water before allowing it to break, falling to the ocean as a series of drops of water. It was far prettier than what Loren had done, showing she did try her best to make her magic appealing to the eye.

His magic had gotten her happy, yes, but the worry still stood. Why would a human go out to the ocean to tire themself out?

Shaking his head, Loren let out a huff of laughter, though there was no joy behind the sound. [say]"No. No I haven't."[/say] He didn't sound bothered by that fact. Mostly, he was just perplexed by this entire interaction.

Biting his lip, he didn't respond to the mermaid's question for a long time. Finally he sighed. [say]"It helps me sleep."[/say] It was the truth, albeit a highly incomplete picture of it.

As she demonstrated water magic of her own, he nodded almost dutifully. [say]"Very impressive."[/say] Copying her, he made an orb of water. Then another, and another, until he had six, which he began to rotate in a facsimile of juggling.

How amusing. Delta must make the best first impression possible in that case! Show to this stranger that mermaids are pretty damn cool individuals and not creatures to be taken lightly. No, she wasn't going to be violent, but she would make sure he was well aware of what they were capable of... somehow. But first, she had to do some investigating to see what had spread about them. Who knows what lies he knew about her and her kind? [say]"What sorts of stuff have you heard about us?"[/say] Does he know who she is? What about her father? So many questions and such little time!

His response was an interesting one. It could be that he wished to drown, which would be a shame, or he could just use it as a sleeping aid, which was... unique. Delta would make sure he didn't try to drown himself, seeing as she couldn't spread the word of merpeople if he did that. Also... it would really suck if he did that. And actually be sad.

Anyways!

[say]"Well, I ought to keep you company while you try and do that, right?"[/say] If getting tired was what the stranger wanted then Delta would probably do that in five minutes! Perks of asking too many questions is that Delta often makes people feel too exhausted to stay out.

The magic show put on was spectacular and Delta did enjoy the praises given to her. [say]"Your magic abilities are fantastic!"[/say] She didn't realize a land-dweller could have such incredible magic abilities, especially with water! [say]"Is water all you can do?"[/say]

Shrugging, Loren realized the mermaid probably couldn't see it. So he shook his head instead. [say]”Nothing, really. Just that you exist.”[/say] His voice was quiet.

Already he could feel a pleasant burn in his limbs from the exertion. However, he made no move to return to shore or to rest. [say]"You really don't have to do that."[/say] It was a feeble protest. Already he could tell her enthusiasm would keep her here, and he sighed. [say]”But if you do stay, I’d at least like to know your name. I’m Loren.”[/say]

Pressing his lips together, he shook his head. [say]”No. I have other magics.”[/say] He let go of his water magic and the orbs splashed down to the surface, sending a spray over him.

RE: people watching (OPEN) - Delta - 04-03-2020

At least the man knew they existed. Imagine if this man was one of the few who said 'merpeople dont exist' or some other childish fantasy. Clearly, she exists, seeing as she's in the water right before him. [say]"Well. Do you want to know anything? I might as well help to educate you and your people."[/say] Maybe then they wouldn't have to worry about any unfortunate encounters in the future, it would sure save her father a lot of time and worry. What a lovely little diplomat she was becoming!

The man was confident that he was fine, but that only made Delta more confused. Did he want to die out here? That'd be a major pity, really. Delta wasn't sure what happened to the souls of those who chose to die out in the sea, drowning themselves to escape their sorrows. Would they be delivered to the proper owner? She sure hoped so... but she also wasn't sure. At least the man- or Loren- was willing to let her stay. Looks like she was on guard shark duty. [say]"Loren- such an interesting name. I'm Delta."[/say] Loren was an intriguing name and not one she had heard before. Kind of sounded like the word lore plus an N. Was this man a person who told Lores? Possibly. If so, he was quite the most boring lore-teller ever.

He responded to her question, but didn't go on to demonstrate. [say]"Can you tell me these other magics that you have?"[/say]

RE: people watching (OPEN) - Loren - 04-03-2020

Delta's offer was surprising, and Loren found himself giving her a legitimately curious look. [say]"Why don't you tell me what you think I should know? Or at least what you'd like me to know?"[/say] Long years of etiquette training managed to allow him to smile at her, and though it seemed a bit forced hopefully she'd chalk it up to the hard work of treading water.

It stayed there as he nodded in response to her name. [say]"Delta is a lovely name."[/say] He managed to sound almost charming with that statement.

Nodding again, his brow furrowed a bit in concentration. [say]"I have mastered healing, as well as a mutation that allows me to heal at a distance. I also have mastered summoning. Beyond that, I have a little bit of creation and telekinesis."[/say] He paused to let that sink in. [say]"I'm also a hybrid, so I'm part Attuned as well."[/say] To demonstrate, he shifted into the form of a goose, paddling water in a small circle.