Court of the Fallen
Dolce - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Dolce (/showthread.php?tid=310)

Pages: 1 2

Dolce - Archebold - 12-21-2018

The sun was nearly overtaken by the horizon as Archebold tapped along the open road of the settlement. Always a sway of arrogance and superiority in his movements. His free hand flipping a playing card in his hand he found in the rubble. It smoothly transitioned between his fingers as he whistled a two-tone tune, occasionally twirling his walking stick between taps before arriving at the door of the alchemist.

He'd peak through the window to make sure it was occupied, no doubt about to close...perhaps one last customer wouldn't be so troublesome. Archebold grinned as he gently pushed the door open, sounding the chime as he stepped in.

He'd glance around, using the knob of his walking stick to sway easily along the labels of several bottles as he read the name of their contents. Walking stick would be tucked under his arm, though the card continued to dance between his fingers.

[say]"Mmmhmmmm...."[/say]

Archebold mused out loud with an amused growl as he leaned and studied various mixtures as if he held any particular use for them.

RE: Dolce - Remi - 12-21-2018

Of course Remi was still inside. As it was, he'd taken to sleeping in the back room of his shop more often than not. And why shouldn't he? The shop was larger than the smallish apartment he'd picked out for himself, and given that he had no real reason to return back to the domiciles—not when he was going to stay up all night tinkering anyways—that it simply seemed to make sense to stay.

Even so, as the door opened and the bell chimed, Remi raised his head curiously at the sound. Of course he didn't have a clock to check, but the sun was almost nearly gone from the sky by this point, and surely only trouble would bring someone around at this hour. Setting down the tools he was using to try and create the spy-glass that Isla had mentioned to him, Remi poked his head out from behind the door to the back room. The interior of the shop was dark for the most part as he hadn't lit any lanterns given that he hadn't been expecting anyone. Squinting into the darkness he didn't see Archebold right away; not until he let his eyes shift to a hawk's so that he could see better.

Flinching slightly at the sight of the imposing captain having appeared so silently (other than the bell), Remi swallowed down a shaky laugh and wiped his hands off on his shirt. [say] "Captain Cobb."[/say] He greeted with a small bow; a hangover from Northaven a commoner like Remi would probably never fully get rid of. With a tentative smile, Remi tilted his head slightly. [say] "What can I do for you?"[/say]

RE: Dolce - Archebold - 12-22-2018

Archebold turned at the sound of another's voice. Such formality, how flattering. Archebold grinned sweetly at the gesture as he looked over the Alchemist.

[Say]"Such manners, sweet boy. We are not shackled by formalities and social classes. Please, Archebold will do. A pleasure Remi. It is not often people express such formalities when addressing me."[/say]

He would take a smooth stride over, appearing as if he simply glided over the ground as he offered a gloved hand for Remi to take.

While it appeared harmless enough, in all honesty, Archebold held attuned to a lower standard than even accepted. They were a mistake, an impurity, and he didn't wish to taint his hand by touching one.

All of this held internally as he offered a charming smile and firm grip had Remi chosen to take it.

He glanced over the shop before his eyes found the young man.

[Say]"You've wasted little time getting settled in. I trust the transition hasn't been too...complicated for you?"[/say]

Again Archebold looked over the shop.

[Say]"I've always held a healthy appreciation for alchemy. The genuine act of...creation. It's a rather powerful gift you have."[/say]

His tone was that of being impressed as he nodded approvingly.

RE: Dolce - Remi - 12-25-2018

It wasn't the first time Remi had been told that the social structure of Northaven no longer applied, but it was hard to let go of decades worth of conditioning. That, and when last he'd seen Archebold it was at the grand bloodfiend manor, and Archebold certainly looked the part of a king. Or, at least what Remi thought kings looked like; the royal party in Northaven hadn't been that visible to someone like him of course.

Watching as the captain all but floated his way, the alchemist looked adorably surprised as a gloved hand was offered. Fumbling for just a moment Remi extended his own hand, gripping the soft material with a slight nod of his head.

[say]"I..."[/say] Bashfully Remi ran a hand through his curls looking around his darkened shop. He'd never owned anything like this in Northaven of course, and even now he felt like he had overstepped slightly by simply opening up a shop. Surely there was someone he should have asked? [say]"..Yes. I think it has been helpful. Especially since it doesn't appear that Waren came over. I thought a place where our people could acquire things would be helpful."[/say]

As Archebold mentioned creation specifically, Remi almost flinched before catching himself. Smiling boyishly, he could only nod for a moment. Did the former-bloodfiend know that Remi truly had acquired magic? Was that why he was here? [say]"Thank you. It is a skill I acquired as a means to survive."[/say]

RE: Dolce - Archebold - 12-29-2018

[Say]"Oh I doubt there is anything left of Warren to summon had we been foolish enough to want to do so."[/say]

Archebold remarked with a chuckle, unaware if Remi knew of his fate, if not he did now.

[Say]"Freedom is a gift that way isn't it? You want something, you take it. Be it opportunity...or other means."[/say]

As he spoke the latter, the darkness did well to aid the shift in Archebold's eyes as they flickered nearly entirely black as he studied Remi.

[Say]"You're limited only by your own creativity and limitations you've instilled on yourself."[/say]

Archebold smirked, a rather pleasant idea touching his mind, whose gears always seemed to be in motion.

[Say]"It looks like you're about to call it an evening and I don't mean to keep you here longer than you need to be. Is it safe to assume, the hours you spend here leave minimal time to eat? You must be famished...would you care to join me for dinner?"[/say]

Archebold asked with a smile that oozed charm and warmth as he leaned forward in a half bow.

[Say]"Cooking has been an exercise of patience for me, meditation if you will. I have so seldom chances to entertain such...handsome company. Please, it would be my honor to make your tongue sing tonight."[/say]

RE: Dolce - Remi - 12-29-2018

Tilting his head slightly, the alchemist offered the former-captain a crooked smile. Remi knew nothing of Warren at all, save that he held some sort of contract over Ianto. Ianto... The thought of his friend made Remi's heart clench momentarily with sadness.

Swallowing, once again the alchemist could only offer a polite shrug, his sea-glass green gaze rising to Archebold's own dark eyes before falling away. Something about the man's gaze made holding it feel incredibly uncomfortable, but nor did Remi want to appear rude by constantly looking away. And so he vacillated uncertainly as the former-captain continued.

[say]"I suppose that is true."[/say] Remi said with a nod, running a hand through his curls and finding some consolation in the fact that he at least for once knew what Archebold was talking about. Didn't he?

Blinking in surprise at the sudden offer, a boyishly abashed smile crossed Remi's lips as he looked down at his charcoal-smeared pants and general disordered state of dress. Unhelpfully his stomach gave a sudden groan, answering the question of whether or not he was hungry for him. Smiling with a twinge of embarrassment, Remi shook his head almost shyly. [say]"I could not impose. I have some food at home still—"[/say] But it appeared that the ascended was not taking no for an answer.

[say]"Ah.. Alright. Thank you. Your last dinner was a night I remember well. I'll just blow out the candles?"[/say] Swallowing hard (if only because saliva had started to pool on his tongue), Remi moved to the back of his shop to extinguish the flames that burned there.

RE: Dolce - Archebold - 01-02-2019

'Your last dinner was a night to remember...'

Archebold couldn't hide the smile on his face as he nodded in agreement. Remi had no idea how right he was, for all the wrong reasons. It was that night that Archebold had essentially made cannibals of the people of Northhaven, preparing and serving remains of victims from a nightly purge by his staff.

How he missed the extra hands, though he appreciated the sense of independence that came with his time here. Blacks of his eyes widened as Remi had stepped out to make his exiting prep before Archebold would turn to lead him out.

The path to the manor which was in the process of being renovated wouldn't take very long surprisingly. The manor itself, from the outside, appeared in ruin. Stained glass windows were dark and dim with an absence of life. The large oak doors rotted and in need of change, as the stone walls appeared to barely hold together.

The inside was another matter. While dust still strewn from here to there, the interior of the manor held a gothic, foreboding atmosphere. Stone gargoyles lurched over the long dark halls, as an oil reservoir-like contraption carried the flames to light the torches above and along the walls.

There was a lot of dull brass, gold, and crystal yet to be polished. Paintings weathered, some torn, but little to diminish the beauty they possessed. Every step taken appeared to echo throughout the manor as Archebold led the alchemist toward large dining room where a table stretched out nearly the length of the room with only two chairs appearing visible on either end.

[say]"I discovered this cultural tomb not long after passing through the portal. Imagine my surprise when entering this ruined shell that it housed such beauty. All of this culture preserved, as if waiting for me to discover it. There is still work that needs to be done, but I trust you share the same affinity for art and beauty as I do?"[/say]

Archebold asked, his tone always so smooth and calculated as if his words were pre-loaded into a memory bank. He turned back briefly and smiled and Remi as he led him through the rear of the dining room into the kitchen which seemed more well let than any other room in the manor.

Dried meat hung from the ceiling in natural casings, smoked and curing. Various meats of various colors. The darker more savory sausages to the brighter more spicy.

[say]"One thing this place does not lack, is diversity in its resources."[/say]

Archebold mused as he removed his jacket, resting it gently aside on a nearby stool as he rolled his sleeves 3/4 of the way up and tied an ivory apron which held the looks of one that had been in use with stains of all sorts on it.

[say]"Please, sit. There will be much to taste, much to discuss."[/say]

The ascended calmly gestured to the stool along the island counter as he smiled a dimpled smile before turning to work the fire of the wood-burning stove. The fire prepped, Archebold turned and reached up, taking down one of the cured sausages and resting in on the counter before making several paper thin slices with careful precision.

[say]"It's funny how some things we never seem to forget. I've not eaten a meal in decades yet every muscle in my body moves effortlessly, as if guided by pure instinct."[/say]

He'd flip the knife in his hand after smacking the base onto the counter, rather playfully before holding the sliced meat before Remi's lips.

[say]"A taste if you will, I've not yet been able to entertain. So a fresh perspective would be greatly appreciated."[/say]

There was a subtle sultriness to his voice as he smiled at Remi, awaiting him to taste the sausage brought to his lips. Had he chosen to taste, it would find it sweeter than it appeared. The smokey flavor of the wood used offered notes of apple, with a finishing note of the buttery, salty finish that accompanies most sausages.

RE: Dolce - Remi - 01-02-2019

Though hawks—and most birds actually—were naturally cannibalistic, Remi probably would have been a bit horrified to know what he had been fed. But attending the party with his friend Ianto had been utterly lovely, especially since it was the sort of thing that commoners (and certainly not shapechangers) were ever really invited to do.

Following in silence, Remi silently tried to pin down the feeling of unease that was sloshing through him. Perhaps it was the way that the former-captain had so silently and unexpectedly appeared. Perhaps it was because Remi had no real idea to what he owed this display of kindness or offer of a meal. Perhaps it was simply because his life was quite the mess at the moment and he was sure at any moment something was about to go wrong again that he felt on edge. It wasn't a feeling that the alchemist liked, and so he tried to release the tension he carried in his neck and reassure himself that everything was fine.

As they entered the manor Remi gasped in amazement. It was of course nothing like the bloodfiend manor he'd visited, but for this strange place they found themselves in, it was surely as lavish as it came. [say]"You live here alone?"[/say] The alchemist inquired, his voice echoing slightly into the grandeur of the manor as he obediently followed Archebold. Not wanting to disappoint his host, the alchemist offered a sheepish smile. [say]"I am a man of science primarily...but of course I can appreciate the arts..the beauty in all of this."[/say]

The smell of meat made Remi's mouth water and he gazed around the kitchen. How had the man amassed so much food already? And had the time to smoke and cure it? With awe shining brightly in the alchemist's pale stare he wondered if there was more magic at work here. At the mention of diversity Remi spun around to regard the ascended, nodding his agreement.

Obligingly Remi indeed took a seat. Gently he ran his fingers along some of the lines on one of his palms as he watched Archebold work. He might have offered his assistance but the former-captain looked incredibly efficient, his movements precise and practiced. Though Remi was a fairly good chef himself, certainly he could not compare with Archebold. Not from what he was seeing anyways.

[say]"Not ea—"[/say] Remi began, then caught himself and nodded. [say]"Ah. Yes.."[/say] He chuckled a bit awkwardly as he nodded. As the man offered the piece of meat, Remi's fingers twitched as he meant to reach up and take it, but appeared Archebold had other ideas. With a rather confused furrowing of his brows, obediently Remi reached forward to receive the piece of meat, savoring the immediate saltiness on his lips. [say]"Quite good—"[/say] Remi said before he'd even finished chewing. Indeed it was unlike anything he'd ever tasted and immediately his taste buds cried out for more.

With a boyish smile he looked at Archebold curiously. [say]"You cannot eat what you create and yet you still cook?"[/say]

RE: Dolce - Archebold - 01-02-2019

[Say]"I live here alone, and am still adjusting to the variations in time, reading the sun and the moon and how much one lingers longer than the other."[/say]

Archebold pulled a stool and sat across from Remi as he sliced more of the sausage, reaching up the grab a spicier variation and slicing that as well.

[Say]"I've no obligations to anyone or anything anymore. Freedom in its purest form."[/say]

Archebold remarked with a smile and soft chuckle.

[Say]"It is lonely here, but after years of forced associations and servitude, solitude has proven to be...welcome."[/say]

To his other question, Archebold paused in thought as he held a slice of the spicier sausage on his knife for Remi to lean over and taste.

[Say]"I've had nothing but time on my hands. Time and opportunity for what? I have no idea...for the first time in my life I have no idea what it is I'm meant to do, what I'm supposed to be. A clean slate...so I create. I've spent nearly a generation taking and taking...I thought perhaps I would find some solace in creating.

So I scavenged, I cooked...and found some remnants of peace in the process."[/say]

He neglected to mention murdering two natives that discovered him, as well as the previous resident of this tomb, and the holder of the violin he refurbished.

[Say]"Your accent is charming."[/say]

Archebold remarked with a smirk. Dark, doll-like lifeless eyes bore into the alchemist's.

[Say]"You have sad eyes...not to imply that is how you feel, but they are...soulful, but absent of life. You've either lived a life of love and loss or absent of love entirely. Would you care for a glass of wine?"[/say]

Archebold reached beneath the counter and rested a dusted bottle on the counter with a glass for Remi.

[Say]"No idea how long it's aged...but it survived, and thus, must be enjoyed by someone not myself."[/say]

RE: Dolce - Remi - 01-02-2019

Alone? Remi lived alone as well, but his house had only two rooms and most nights he simply shifted and slept in his workshop, both of which were so small. But an entire manner with only one man to fill it? The alchemist gave the ascended a rather sad look, but nodding his head. [say]"Yes..I have noticed the days growing shorter as well, but it seems so much faster than back in Northaven."[/say] Perhaps that wasn't so surprising—there were new stars overhead, it made sense that this place did not follow the same laws—but it was still a bit concerning.

Watching with approval and interest at Archebold's dexterity as he sliced the meat, Remi chuckled at his words. [say]" I suppose I am in the same position ... although as a commoner for all of my life it is hard to give up the idea that I truly do have the capability to simply go or do what I please."[/say] Shrugging softly, Remi considered the idea of solitude as a freedom. If anything the alchemist felt forced into it, what with Loren and Ianto suddenly gone from his life. Of course he had Vai and Ronin and Isla and the others but...it wasn't quite the same.

With less tentativeness now, Remi learned forward, teeth tapping softly against the metal as he slide the meat off. It was far spicier, but Remi found he actually preferred to the sweeter cut of meat. Happily mmmmming his approval, he gave Archebold a thoughtful look. [say]"And what will you create. Surely more than just delicious cuts of meat?"[/say] The alchemist asked with keen interest, his nimble fingers tapping gently against the countertop as he considered.

Looking into Archebold's dark eyes, Remi found his own flinching slightly as he was forced to break contact, offering an awkward but charming laugh in response to the compliment. Archebold was not the first to comment on his strangely accented words, and yet the mention of it always made him feel like an outsider. Though to be fair, he was. Unable to help himself, at the mention of his eyes Remi's sea-glass green gaze rose again, long lashes fluttering softly as he considered. With the sadness that the ascended had seen, the edges of Remi's lips pulled upwards in a gentle and minute smile as he nodded, eyes pulling downwards his hands. Running his thumb along the length of his palm, he sighed slightly. [say]"A little of both."[/say] He answered truthfully. There had been love and loss, and now he was experiencing the complete absence of it entirely. Truly, it was a strange way to experience what the alchemist was now considering more or less a break up. He just hadn't been told about it.

The offer of wine was of course welcome, and the alchemist nodded obligingly. [say]"Yes, thank you. I would be happy to share it with you."[/say]

RE: Dolce - Archebold - 01-06-2019

Glad to share his wine with him? The charmingly naive Remi had no idea at the invitation he offered the ascended, one that Archebold merely regarded with a casual smile and nod before continuing their conversation.

[Say]"Haven't gotten that far in thought yet. Cooking offers me peace, so it is what I have attached myself to at the present moment, but every day is a different canvas to which we paint is it not? Perhaps tomorrow will call upon another muse."[/say]

Archebold teased as he he stood from his stool and crouched down to grab some wild mushrooms and herbs, pausing only briefly to slice and flick a piece of sausage in the air toward Remi with a grin.

Had he managed to catch the flung meat he'd be greeted with mock applause, if not just a playful look of disappointment as Archebold began cutting and seasoning the vegetables.

[Say]"The eyes never lie, sorry to say. Do you care to have a discussion over said loss? I am never eager to pry, but if perhaps I could offer you anything in terms of coping, I will gladly do so under no obligation."[/say]

RE: Dolce - Remi - 01-06-2019

The alchemist chuckled beneath his breath as the ascended mention canvases and painting. It made him think of Bastien and how he'd said something similiar when speaking of how he might try and please Safrin. The sentiment of every day being a new day with which to fill with whatever one might like was certainly a new way of thinking for the alchemist who'd spent two decades doing as he was told and expecting nothing much out of life.

Catching the sausage easily, Remi chuckled slightly thinking nothing at all of the small morsels Archebold was constantly providing him (or of what they might be made) and popped it into his mouth. At the sound of Archebold's clapping, Remi raised a brow and shook his head with feigned embarrassment. [say]"Shall I catch it with a beak next time? Or perhaps as a lion?"[/say]

As the man offered to hear what had happened, the alchemist considered his proposal in silence. There wasn't really much to say. But given the hospitality that the man had shown the alchemist for seemingly no reason at all, Remi felt remiss to simply decline his kind offer. And so, pulling his gaze upwards from his palm, the alchemist nodded. [say]"I had feelings for someone. Love, actually. And one of the gods here took it away."[/say] Remi smiled a bit sadly and shrugged his shoulders gently. [say]"Truth be told though it is perhaps for the best. Things ... were not meant to be, I am coming to realize. "[/say]

RE: Dolce - Archebold - 01-08-2019

[say]"You're attuned?"[/say]

Archebold questioned with a smile and quirk of his head. He knew the answer already but feigned ignorance for the sake of his company.

[say]"Here I thought I was in the presence of merely a humble alchemist. You're simply full of surprises."[/say]

Archebold had stoked the flames of the stove as he turned and cut another piece of sausage, bouncing it on the tip of his knife to see if Remi would track it's movements.

[say]"Gods give..."[/say]

He would feign tossing the piece, curious it Remi had braced his body to retrieve it, before he continued to bounce the sausage on the blade.

[say]"...and take. It is in their nature to remind us of their power."[/say]

Given how he viewed himself over other races, it was safe to assume a god is exactly how Archebold viewed himself.

[say]"I loved someone once. It was the first time for many things for me..."[/say]

Archebold recalled with a smile.

[say]"My first encounter, my first love, and my first pain...betrayal of the heart is a painful thing. You would think decades of existence would dull that paid but it never really leaves you. Nor should you want to forget it. Scars remind us of the path we took to become who we are. The pain we endured to become better versions of ourselves. Scars are truth, one we should never forget. Don't forget your scars Remi. Who you become depends on it."[/say]

With that Archebold flipped the sausage in the air toward the Alchemist before making a sudden request.

"Beak."[/say]

He called out with a grin, had Remi taken the request and indeed snatched the sausage with his beak Archebold would simply nod and wink at the young man approvingly before turning his back to him to cook the vegetables on the wood fire stove.

[say]"Learn from the pain in your truth so far and find yourself someone who makes you realize three...simple...things. Three things."[/say]

Archebold turned and held up three fingers, leaning back against the wall near the stove.

[say]"The first being that home is not a place but feeling you have when you're them. You feel secure, comfort even when exposed completely. Free of the person suit we all don in interactions such as these every day.

The second, that time isn't measure by a block, but the moments you share with them.

Third and lastly, that heartbeats are not heard but felt and shared. Feeling another's heart...it's something I feel many take for granted. Sometimes I close my eyes and I swear I can almost remember what I felt like."[/say]

Archebold paused to reflect on his own words before he looked to Remi as if surprised to realize he was still there. In a blink his plate was made and Archebold resumed his seat across from him.

[say]"There will be a time when next I see you, your eyes will no longer be so sad. I look forward to that day."[/say]

He smiled and nodded, pouring another glass for Remi to enjoy.

RE: Dolce - Remi - 01-09-2019

[say]"And abandoned, or so I've been called."[/say] Remi replied with a gentle nod. Lifting his hand, a feather magically appeared in it. With a small smile, the alchemist twirled the spine of the feather gently as he listened.

Though Remi did not flinch after the meeting, his eyes tracked its movements. As Archebold's wrist jerked as if to toss it, gold infringed around the alchemist's soft pale stare as his hawk's eyes rapidly took over to watch the meat with better accuracy. Quickly the green returned as the meat stayed where it is.

[say]"I knew nothing of gods before coming here."[/say] Remi admitted with a gentle shrug of his shoulders. That Archebold had some idea of them (or acted as though he did) was of no great surprise. The man seemed quite worldly after all.

With a soft expression the alchemist listened as the ascended elaborated on his past. The mention of scars made Remi think not of Loren, but of the self-imposed scars he'd given himself as a lion when he'd struggled against killing that poor man who'd come into his home that first night.

—beak

Obedient as always, a beak appeared on Remi's face even as the meat sailed in his direction. Snapping his beak around it, the hardened shell disappeared into his lips once again as the alchemist smiled, chewed, and winked.

Home. Time. Heartbeats.

Remi wasn't entirely sure that he understood, but he internalized the words as best he could. Such philosophizing was certainly above his home-schooled mind, but he liked the way the words sounded and even moreso coming from Archebold who seemed so wise and sure of himself. Character traits the alchemist certianly did not possess.

At the mention of having sad eyes, Remi blinked and offered the ascended a bashful smile. He did not mean to appear so sad. In fact, since his mother had died when he was a boy, Remi had not experienced such a prolonged period of darkness. It was heavy and weighed on his mind constantly. He too would be glad when the day came that Loren's disappearance no longer bothered him.

But would that day ever come?

Picking up the stem of his wine glass gently, Remi twirled it between his fingers before swallowing a mouthful. With a happy sigh, he looked up at Archebold. [say]"I believe here they call your kind...Ascended? Is that right?"[/say]