Court of the Fallen
deep, deep blue sea - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: deep, deep blue sea (/showthread.php?tid=3112)

Pages: 1 2

deep, deep blue sea - Wessex - 04-05-2020

When she’d come across Nate on the shore and asked if he wanted to go swimming with her, this probably wasn’t what he had in mind. Which makes it all the better. Surprise! Time to get to know each other, oh brother dearest.

They get to the Kuali’i islands fairly easily in their boat, but it’s probably all downhill from there. Why? Because it’s a challenge and one of the last places the Ascended need to explore in Torchline. But they’re uniquely suited for deep diving, too, and she can get them out if there is indeed something down there. Standing on the edge of one of the closest islands, she looks out at the deep blue circle and then back at Nate.[say] “Still game?”[/say]

If not, he can wait there. But she will think less of him. A guy can save Torchline and Haulani but not venture down into a lightless, unknown hole? Lame.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Nate - 04-06-2020

Running into Wessex is not something that happens often, especially not in Torchline. Especially not to Nate. Sure, he sees her now and then, but it's so rarely anything more than a glance in passing, a quick greeting. So when she asks if he wants to go out on a boat, do some swimming, well... what is he supposed to say? No? As if he was going to pass up this chance.

Though, when they actually reach one of the many islands, the night sky stretching out above them and the black ocean stretching out around them, he does feel... maybe a pang of regret. For a lot of reasons. But he grins, and takes a few things out of his pockets, dropping them on the sand before stepping into the water. [say]"Let's go."[/say]

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Wessex - 04-08-2020

Stripping off anything that might cause drag or hinder her movement, Wessex offers a fanged smile to Nate.[say] “That’s the spirit.”[/say]

The land drops off fairy quickly, leaving the Wraith treading water until she lifts herself up for a moment and floats on her back, briefly taken back to teenage nights in the Oasis - though the water here is so much deeper, darker, vast, and dangerous. They’re lucky that the water is has minimal wave motion tonight - the surface flat and calm. Tilting her head one way and then the other to pinpoint Nate, she hums to herself and thinks towards him so he can hear her, even if his ears are under water.

[say] So what’s your story, Hero of Haulani? I’m sure there’s far more to you than Sam’s boyfriend.[/say] Because of course, she finds it difficult to keep up with those kinds of things when she doesn’t always like one half of the couple (and knows next to nothing about the other). And while she may not understand why he’s with Sam, it’s… sweet. Even wimps deserve happiness.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Nate - 04-09-2020

It's been a long time since Nate was last in the ocean like this, and even then he is missing a lot of the safety nets he had had, namely a boat nearby, and a life jacket. They're all but sitting ducks, if something happens, but so far, the night is clear, and the silence between them is growing increasingly comfortable.

At least until her voice invades Nate's head, making him jump a small amount. He'd forgotten about that, though it does seem particularly useful here. [say]I don't know if I'd say there was a story.[/say] It's all faux modesty and jokes, until Sam's name comes up. Nate forces a laugh through the mental link. [say]There's not even that anymore. I haven't been with him since... fuck, just after Fiat Lux?[/say] It's clear he can't even be bothered to think back that long, not with how much has happened recently.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Wessex - 04-11-2020

[say] Everyone has a story,[/say] Wessex chides gently, mostly because she hates to see her efforts rebuffed. However, once she hears that he is no longer with Sam, her attitude takes a bit of a one-eighty.[say] Good. He needs to learn to be alone.[/say] Whether or not he’s alone, she doesn’t actually know. Knowing Sam’s neediness, she kinda doubts he is. But her main point is -[say] and you deserve better than a needy, self-conscious doormat. Or so I assume.[/say]

Again, who or what Nate actually deserves is unknown. Which is why they’re there.

Flipping over, Wessex peers into the darkness, her blonde hair a floating halo around her head.[say] Do you like being Ascended?[/say] Knowing that he chose to change, like her, she wants to make sure that he doesn’t regret joining the family. And if he does, perhaps she can begin to repair some of those regrets.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Nate - 04-12-2020

Nate can't stop the laugh that leaves him, actually leaves him out loud, at Wessex's immediate assertion regarding Sam. [say]Well someone should tell him that then.[/say] There's no small amount of mean spirited glee in his mental voice, but he's far more willing to talk about himself, now that they've had a small bonding moment. [say]Even if I don't deserve better, I've got it now.[/say] It had taken some messes, probably made more, but he was happy.

While Wessex shifts on the surface, Nate dips under it, taking a breath out of habit and sinking into the inky blackness. If he doesn't look up, there is nothing. Just an inky blackness that fades into true void. It feels like a strangely fitting place to be, when the Demi-gods next question rings in his head. [say]I like what I gained.[/say] He answers immediately, pausing to consider his next words more carefully. [say]It feels like... I lost more than I gained though.[/say] Not to mention the continued silence, shrines feeling more and more like churches back home, where everyone else seemed to feel something.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Wessex - 04-12-2020

Thinking to herself that she might, next time she sees the bookmaker, Wessex refrains from commenting on the nature of Nate’s relationships - both past and present - or even inquiring what or who the ‘better’ is. There’s just a small hum of approval. Or happiness. Something like that. Unlike the attuned link, she can only send words. Emotions will just have to be interpreted normally.

The Wraith sighs and dips fully under the water too, hovering beside Nate as they peer into the void.[say] I was worried about that. Can I ask why you feel that way? Or what you’re missing?[/say] Having spent most of her life as a human, the now demigod can understand certain things. Hell, there are a dozen things she can easily think of with longing. Maybe their success with the Voice is what makes it worthwhile or not.

She pauses, hedging between continuing down (where they can certainly still see) and staying up there. She wants to explore, but not at the expense of putting Nate in danger. After a moment of indecision, she beckons to him.[say] Stay within arm’s reach. If there’s something down there, I’ll teleport us out.[/say]

They better get brownie points from the Voice for this level of daring exploration. Fucking spreading her influence everywhere.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Nate - 04-13-2020

Nate shifts to glance sidelong at Wessex as she joins him below the surface, his face impossible to read, even without the murkiness of being underwater clouding it. [say]Aw, worried about me?[/say] The teasing words come with a wide grin, though Nate fades back into seriousness quickly. [say]I miss drinking and fucking.[/say] There's no point in beating around the bush, though he isn't as specific as he'd otherwise be. There is a pause, where he seems to consider saying more, but it passes, a shrug rolling over his shoulders.

The beckons is followed quickly, Nate quietly hoping that they'd be moving deeper, the thought of danger not actually reaching him. [say]Damn. Teleporting, mind... talking. What can't you do?[/say] Then, as the words actually sink in, more, slightly more frantic words. [say]Do you think there might be something down there?[/say]

Not that it would stop him. Like he was going to look like a coward in front of Wessex, when he'd already been more vulnerable than he liked. Besides, they had a safety net.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Wessex - 04-14-2020

[say]Yeeeaaaah, don’t let it go to your head,”[/say] she retorts with a chuckle, well aware that caring isn’t one of her more obvious traits. As the two of them venture deeper into the darkness, what little light they could have gotten from the moon and stars quickly falling behind, Wessex feels herself going into more a high-alert stage. She scans. And talks.[say] Well I can’t drink or fuck either, but there’s a patch for that if you want it. You haven’t asked the Voice for one yet?[/say] Slowing her descent, she hums back,[say] I wouldn’t be surprised. A big dark hole is the perfect hiding place. Some days it seems like Caido is known more for its monsters than its delights.[/say]

But that's why she's armed with tricks. And knowing the dangers is how she's survived this long. Nate's in good hands.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Nate - 04-15-2020

The darkness wraps around them like a cold blanket, smothering out all but the faintest light as they move deeper. It's still easy to talk though, worry not touching Nate yet. [say]I know all about the patch.[/say] The words are lightly amused, almost joking, which only makes the shift that much more jarring when the next thoughts come. [say]I might've asked, if I ever saw her.[/say] And therein really, is the crux of the problem. Of the annoyance, the frustration, the hurt.

Nate kicked down deeper than Wessex, slipping past her the way down. [say]Least it's a big, dark, underwater hole, right? Narrows the options of what could be hiding.[/say] At least, that was the theory. Not that it really bothered him either way. He had enough faith in Wessex to not just leave him at the bottom of the ocean if shit went down.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Wessex - 04-16-2020

Oh. That’s a surprise. But let’s circle back to that thought in a moment.[say] Right. No landsharks, no Ursurs or Frost Giants… just a sea monster that can probably sense we’re coming from a mile away. I’m guessing… tentacles. Big teeth. Might be sleeping.[/say] And they wake it up. Or it’s waiting for them to go deep enough (is there anything that voluntarily swims down here? Wessex kicks to stay close to Nate.[say] Do I detect some resentment?[/say] she asks, noting the jarring shift from jesting to something else - a definitively darker tone. Like this hole. Except maybe not that dark. She begins to feel some pressure on her body, as if the water is heavier - but that’s not possible, is it?

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Nate - 04-16-2020

[say]At least a sea monster is some new, exciting horror.[/say] Though the joke lost some of it's lustre as pressure began to build around his body, as the reality of what they were doing, where they were, actually sunk in. He is a little bit more careful to stick closer to the demi-god, to keep their speeds closer.

The question of resentment had him bristling all over again. He didn't know quite how close Wessex was to their goddess, how much of his words she would be willing to use against him. [say]Not resentment, exactly.[/say] He began, words more careful than they had been before. [say]It's honestly a lot like being at home. You go to try and get some answers, some comfort, and you leave with nothing.[/say]

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Wessex - 04-17-2020

A hundred years from now they might kill for something like this, she muses to herself, wondering what it might be to live as long as 108. Would they lose their emotions too? Would the world become otherwise dull and every new horror bring them scrambling to see what fascinating thing the world’s coughed up? Would death cease to phase them? It’s something the Wraith doesn’t care to contemplate right now. In fact, she pauses and tries to reassess what the pressure means for them.

[say] Mmmm, that’s exactly how I felt about the Old Gods growing up.[/say] And that realization makes her both worried for him again, and a little sad that this has been his experience with the Goddess she so loves. Turning to totally face Nate, she tries to offer some sort of encouragement and consolation.[say] I’m sorry. I don’t know why or when She appears and when She doesn’t. She’s left me empty-handed before, too. So it’s not just you, if that’s any consolation.[/say]

There’s a ghostly, pale - or shiny- movement of something that they might be able to see. A deep sea shark, but Wessex couldn’t possibly know those exist. Or maybe it’s the stirring of a tentacle. Either way, it’s time to go. Between the pressure and that, they’ve probably seen enough.[say] Back up?[/say] If he agrees, she’ll adjust to head for the surface and begin to kick back out of the hole.

RE: deep, deep blue sea - Nate - 04-18-2020

Nate doesn't quite have the same experience with the old Gods Wessex might, but he knows from before he had come to Caido how it feels calling out to something that wasn't there, something that wouldn't answer. And this wasn't quite the same. He had been all but remade by this goddess, and then ignored. [say]It's not anything you have to be sorry for. It's just...[/say] Something, he isn't sure what. [say]Sam used to talk about how wonderful she was, how he found... something with her.[/say] At least he can shrug underwater, unable to try and force more words to the feeling.

With how focused Nate has been on keeping his gaze below them it's impossible for him to miss the movement, the pale shift below them. [say]Back up sounds good.[/say] He agrees quickly, manoeuvring to kick upwards, towards the surface instead of deeper. Hie eyes do stay focused below though, searching for another ghostly flash.