Court of the Fallen
Nothing there for you to see - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Nothing there for you to see (/showthread.php?tid=3164)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Nothing there for you to see - Korbin - 04-21-2020

He was, and he wasn't. Sharing a common song from the Citadel was one thing, handing off ones of his own making was something else. It was just a game. Korbin was no minstrel or bard, not really. He didn't have the knowledge, the history, the people skills to claim a title like that.

[say]"Mmh, maybe sometime,"[/say] he said. Trying but failing to sound casual, calm, collected... in the end, he really was just awkward.

[say]"Oh. Well. Perhaps it is... contrary to popular belief, I don't actually listen to that much gossip. Too busy minding my own business to worry about much else."[/say] He might have opinions, sure, but it was only so much hot air. Until some idiot came along and offered him a forum to vent it all on.

As for the concern. Korbin saw the look, and met it squarely. There was a very simple way to make him keep quiet about it, but he wasn't sure if Loren realized it. Or cared enough to utilize it. Now, the raven could promise not to tell anyone. Or he could go home and cry the news from the rooftops to see if it really was common knowledge. Or... anyting in between.

Mostly, he was curious to see what Loren would do. So Korbin remained silent, and waited.

RE: Nothing there for you to see - Loren - 04-21-2020

Loren just smiled easily at Korbin's noncomittal reply. [say]"I'm looking forward to it."[/say] However, the healer wasn't going to insist on it any time soon. Or ever.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he finally just shrugged. [say]"Whatever. If he didn't want the news getting out, he should've told Morgan to keep it a secret. Or told me himself, so he could control how it got out."[/say] The Captain was quite competent at her job, but she spoke her mind and kept nothing to herself. He'd be shocked if she hadn't told others.

Glancing out the small hole, he frowned when he realized he couldn't tell if the storm was slackening or not. Looking back at the hunter, the healer sighed. [say]"Other than the lute and the kalimba, do you play any other instruments?"[/say]

The resolution came quite easily, and Korbin nodded, rather pleased with Loren's conclusion. He quite agreed, but didn't say anything. He had a nose for stories, but preferred the light hearted ones, the heroic ones. Not the gritty, deeply personal and political ones. They never made for good songs.

Deciding he was done playing for a while, the raven boy packed away the instrument again. Tucked it carefully into his pocket, and blew on the fingers to get some warmth back into them. [say]"Mhm. Flute, drums, harp... I've tried mostly everything that's available here. Only have a lute of my own though."[/say] Couldn't afford more, though her sure wanted to hoard a bit of everything.

[say]"What about you, got any interests away from work?"[/say] He threw the question back, and huddled back up again. The chill was creeping into his bones, and the sitting still was becoming a bit of a problem. The dark-haired boy threw a glance at the opening, but the wind had stopped whipping snow into the air vent and it was difficult to say if it had just changed direction or subsided. The howling remained, at least. Probably too soon to go anywhere.

Loren nodded along with Korbin's list. [say]"Quite the assortment you've got there."[/say] Giving the hunter a curious look, the healer hummed thoughtfully. [say]"Have you thought about getting some formal training? I know a bard who'd probably be happy to take on an apprentice for a bit."[/say]

Then he grinned. [say]"Don't worry, it's not charity. You'd have to put up with his tendency to investigate literally everything that crosses his path even when it would be better to leave well enough alone. And to make terrible puns."[/say] Despite the teasing words, it was clear he was fond of Jigano.

Noticing how the other man blew on his hands, the Launceleyn sent a bolt of invisible healing magic towards Korbin. It would hopefully alleviate any actual damage from the cold, though it would only make the raven marginally warmer. Loren shook his head at the hunter's question. [say]"Not really. Unless you count juggling. Or baking, but that's not really a hobby, just something I do to clear my head."[/say]

A startled laugh from the teen was followed by the shake of his head. [say]"Where would I find something like that here?"[/say] he said, not without regret. [say]"I don't know if you've noticed, but my homeland is a bit of a frozen wasteland. There's not a lot of time and resources to waste on music. If I've got the time for that kind of training, I should spend it on hunting instead."[/say]

The words didn't quite sound like his own. More like something he'd had repeated to death, and come to accept as truth. Because it was, wasn't it. Music might be a fun pastime, but it wouldn't feed anyone.

Loren's reply made Korbin grin a bit, half teasing. [say]"Baking, huh? Better not tell Weaver, or she won't let you do anything else."[/say]

Smiling at Korbin, Loren's response was soft. [say]"My friend who is a bard visits me fairly often. At least while the borders are open."[/say] He shrugged. [say]"I'd be happy to ask him to make some time for you."[/say]

However, the hunter's next statement caused the healer to pause for a long moment. Meeting the other man's gaze squarely, the Launceleyn bit his lip. [say]"What makes you say that?"[/say] Then he took a deep breath. [say]"And what if there were more time and resources for it?"[/say]

Apparently, his own past times were a much safer topic. Letting out a huff of laughter, he nodded at Korbin's suggestion. [say]"I'll keep that in mind."[/say] She'd find out, because timelines, but Loren had never been one to stay in the kitchen.

The boy brushed off his cap, dragged a hand through the unruly black hair and put the hat back on again. Sighed, and shrugged. Meeting a bard might be interesting, but... It felt like a pointless thing to talk about.

[say]"Because it's true,"[/say] he said, with a tired look. [say]"I don't have the time. It's my job to process what Weaver brings home from hunts, and to trade whatever else we need to survive. So when I'm not in the market, and not at home with chores up to my neck, I'm working to pay for everything. I have two working hands and a good back, and there's no end to the people who need help. I told you before, I'll help anyone who asks for it. With anything. That's how I keep my family safe, and fed, and alive."[/say]

Labor for goods. He was the jack of all trades, the one people called on when there was a need for an extra hand, the one who always found time and strength and space for just one more thing.

[say]"Now that Weaver is busy setting up the bar, I am the one who needs to take over what she used to do. Hunt, in addition to everything else. Music is... I would happily do nothing else than play all day long, but it's just not realistic. No one will pay me to do it. They've got their own mouths to feed, their own homes to care for. It's a frivolity that has no room in Halo. Just a pastime to make Deepfrost go by a little faster."[/say]

It was.. more than he'd planned to say on the matter. More than he'd thought he had to say, because Korbin didn't think he had brewed over the subject with any real thought. But here he was anyway, spilling his guts with frustration rising like hot steam within.

Annoyed with himself, he clamped his mouth shut and looked away. Must be the shock of the day, the aftermath of what he'd done that made him this loose lipped.

Listening to Korbin, Loren's lips twitched with amusement. [say]"Except me."[/say] However, he really wasn't bothered by the hunter's reluctance to help the healer.

For a long moment, he remained quiet after that. Well, verbally at least: he hummed thoughtfully as he processed what the other man had told him. Finally, the Launceleyn met Korbin's gaze. [say]"Are the facts that people won't pay you and that Weaver needs help the only things stopping you from pursuing your music?"[/say] Somehow, Loren doubted it, but he was willing to humor the hunter's framework if that's what it took.

The healer drummed his fingers against his thigh for a bit. Then he sighed. [say]"I used to like to read. But then I became too busy for it. Or at least, that's what I told myself."[/say]

Of course there was more. There was always more reasons, underlying causes that lay stacked one atop the other until it became an insurmoubtable wall in his mind. Korbin kept his gaze away from the Healer, chewing over whether to even answer that... but he had said so much already. What did it matter if Loren knew the rest too? He couldn't become more in debt than he already was.

[say]"If I don't hunt... I'm leaving that dangerous, rough job to someone else. Someone who might not come back. Mom... she trained us to be fighters. To be hunters. To take care of ourselves. How can I sit safely inside the walls of the Citadel and pluck lutestrings, and let others do what I should be doing?"[/say] Even if he sucked at it, even if he hated it... Korbin still felt that he ought to try. To do it anyway.

Loren's comment about books felt a bit malplaced in the context of what they were talking about, but Korbin turned his head a little anyway. Glanced over quickly, before staring off at the opposite cave wall instead. [say]"And? Are you reading now? Or still too buay...?"[/say]

Loren nodded in understanding. Indeed, Korbin's words struck a chord in the healer. [say]"What if there was less of a need for hunting?"[/say] The question came out softly, and he watched the hunter's reaction carefully.

However, the Launceleyn found himself smiling, though it was a bit melancholy around the edges. [say]"You know, I was raised to be a child soldier. To not ask questions and to sacrifice myself in the name of the crown if need be."[/say] It came out matter of factly, without any of the pain he'd once carried around with him like a cloak.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he shook his head. [say]"Still too busy. Plus there aren't many books in Halo."[/say] Then he gave the other man a sly look. [say]"However, I sometimes make my way down to the hunting lodge where the old hunters gather to swap tales."[/say]

Less need? Korbin huffed a dry laugh, not really amused at all. [say]"Only way for there to be less need for hunting would be if there were less people to feed. And I'd rather not decimate the population of Halo to satisfy my own whims."[/say] There was no other way to sustain life here. Nothing grew, so their lives depended on the meat from Luxere and Ursur, what fish could be pulled from the frozen sea, and whatever traders brought in from the outside. But Korbin didn't want to depend on whatever was gained from the Portal... It was unreliable.

Leaning forward to rest his elbows on the knees, he hummed. [say]"I did not know that. Sounds rough."[/say] He couldn't picture it though. Was it any different from learning to hunt or defend against exiles?

[say]"Ah, those old codgers,"[/say] he said, with a twitch to the corner of the mouth. [say]"Yes, they have no shortage of stories. They grow loftier with every retelling too. One Ursur quickly becomes five, with twice the length of tusks if you let them get away with it."[/say]

Loren raised his eyebrows at Korbin's claim. [say]"Or more food from other sources. Reliable ones, from inside Halo."[/say] It came out quietly, not challenging the hunter's claim, simply suggesting an alternative. Indeed, the healer's expression and posture were both relaxed.

Shrugging, he continued smiling, more firmly and genuinely now. [say]"It was. But I learned that sometimes what we're raised to isn't what's right for us. Or at all really."[/say] He gave the other man an understanding look. [say]"Sometimes it is though. Just...wasn't for me."[/say]

Grinning, the Launceleyn nodded. [say]"And then there were suddenly dragons there the whole time."[/say] Clearly, he didn't mind the boasting, mostly because there were truths hidden in the tales. Besides, they'd earned it by surviving in Halo to their age.

This was starting to smell like manipulation. Korbin's eyes narrowed as he turned more fully towards Loren, remaining quiet. It was a bit ominous though, a tension in the boy that quivered with indecision between rejection and curiosity. He could tell he was being led along by these careful questions, though didn't know where Loren wanted to go.

[say]"And what miracle resource would there be to find, that have not been discovered since Halo turned cold?"[/say] It could have been an offhand question, but something was already hardening within his gaze. Did the Outlander dare suggest that his people hadn't done everything to make life as good as it could become?

The tension distracted from everything else Loren might have to say. Korbin ignored it, shoving down both irritation at being smooth talked and curiosity about the mention of dragons... which brought to mind what happened before.

It would have to wait.

At Korbin's suspicion, Loren couldn't help but smile a bit. [say]"For starters, I can do this."[/say] Holding up a hand, a chunk of uncooked meat appeared in his palm. As he continued, his tone grew wry. [say]"It's not particularly reliable, both because it's well, me, but mostly because I can't make it last forever. At least not yet, but I'm working on it. Regardless, I would never ask you to trust me to supply you all, for a variety of reasons."[/say] He moved it closer to the hunter on the off chance he wanted to inspect it.

As the healer did, he gave the other man a curious look. [say]"How much do you know about greenhouses?"[/say] It was seemingly a non-sequitur, but there was indeed a method behind the Launceleyn's madness.