Court of the Fallen
reminiscing on days past - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: reminiscing on days past (/showthread.php?tid=3261)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: reminiscing on days past - Delphine - 05-11-2020

The shoes, of course, were not there. She'd lost them long before the nice couple had brought her here. [say]"I asked... to have my memories removed."[/say] She explained, as she crawled up on the porch to dig through the blanket nest, [say]"...of home, of the children, because,"[/say] she huffed in frustration, sitting in the center of the blanket nest.

[say]"They were little babies before we came here, and they never felt like my babies here. So I thought, maybe if I didn't remember them then I could learn to love them and..."[/say] She shook her head, voice breaking, [say]"...now I'm all alone."[/say] Her children had been a mere-months-old, prior to being transported to Caido, where they were suddenly three years old, speaking, talking, walking. Everything she'd missed had turned them into... aliens, strangers. And that had turned what should have been a love for them into resentment, hatred.

After a moment of quiet, she murmured, [say]"It told me to learn to love my memories. But why would I want to remember how alone I am?"[/say]

RE: reminiscing on days past - Remi - 05-12-2020

How simple a request it likely seemed. I'd just like to forget, please. Remi had nearly made that request to Ludo once, but he'd learned well the error of his ways, having once had his memories forcefully taken. Even having the associated emotions removed was not a cure; that lesson he had also learned.

[say]"So if you've just forgotten them...then they aren't...?"[/say] He trailed off, unable to say the word dead. Even for Remi who was now a representative of death, the death of his own daughter was still far too fresh for him to take this lightly.

RE: reminiscing on days past - Delphine - 05-12-2020

Delphine shook her head, murmuring, [say]"I don't think I'm allowed to forget. They're... gone."[/say] She had not yet actually said 'my daughters are dead', she was too busy trying to find a way to forget.

[say]"I remember... everything, they hit the ground and..."[/say] She wasn't sure what to call the floating lights; souls, spirits, whatever the word, she felt that putting it into words would make it all that more real.

RE: reminiscing on days past - Remi - 05-12-2020

[say]"And?"[/say] The Alchemist said the word as if merely trying to coax Delphine into nothing more than choosing one dress over another, picking where they might go for lunch. Certainly not prompting her into actually declaring her children dead. But for very different reasons, they both needed to hear the words.

Trying not to grip too tightly to the deck on which he sat, Remi looked up at Delphine even as she serenely studied the stars.

RE: reminiscing on days past - Delphine - 05-12-2020

It was familiar, being coaxed into saying something, admitting something. She shifted, gaze from the sky to her lap, and after a moment of thought she replied, [say]"They're dead."[/say] The words hurt, and she brushes a hand against her eyes, trying not to cry. What had the words her brother used to tell her?

'Nobody likes a crybaby, Tansy.'

She inhaled sharply, and once again moved to stand, fingers twisting into her hair. She'd lost her parents due to things out of her control. Her brother, because she had a husband who did not like being undermined. But she had not had anything to do with those deaths...

But her daughters deaths were on her, and she knew that. Death was something Delphine had understood, as a healer in their homeland; but it was also something she had challenged. She couldn't tell you now, who she had reincarnated back in Northaven, but death... had certainly never seemed real, not when she'd wielded power like that.

RE: reminiscing on days past - Remi - 05-13-2020

The silence stretched on as infinite as the darkened sea the rumbled distantly on the shoreline.

They're dead.

Remi took a breath, and then another, and another. He didn't feel the sharp chill of shock, nor the sinking feeling that probably ought to have accompanied such a statement. Instead he merely regarded Delphine's moonlit silhouette and said nothing for a long while. When he did speak, his voice was calm and even. [say]"My daughter died too."[/say] It wasn't the same at all in so many ways, with Remi having held Aoife in his arms as life drained from her body; he who went on a rampage as a result of her death. And yet...they were kindred spirits in this now, having both lost their children.

[say]"I have a friend who speaks with spirits...should you ever want to contact them.."[/say]

RE: reminiscing on days past - Delphine - 05-13-2020

Delphine's lips curl into a sad smile, and she nods slowly. [say]"One day, maybe."[/say] The words are slow, forced. She'd like nothing but to talk to them now, but she knows that with that will come guilt, feelings she isn't ready to address. [say]"When I feel less... like jumping off the highest cliff I can find."[/say]

After that, she goes quiet, and she's marveling at the fact her beloved Remi had a child; that she missed meeting such a glorious creature because she chose to hide away. [say]"What was she like?"[/say] She inquires as if asking for a story before bed, before falling into silence, settling next to him again. For the moment, the constant need to forget, to fidget, to keep on moving, running, is stalled. She presses into his side if he allows.

[say]"I know that feeling."[/say] The Alchemist said softly, a cold wind rustling through the cockles of his heart. Not so long ago, Remi had lost himself entirely to that feeling. Only he took it out on everyone around him as well as turning inward. [say]"If you ever feel like jumping, let me know. At least I can be there to catch you at the bottom."[/say] She didn't know about his manticore shift of course, but given the history between them, hopefully she'd take his offer just the same.

He does allow, an arm coming to casually rest around her, the movement almost instinctive at this point. [say]"She was....my everything. Blessed with starlight in her eyes, she had a pirate's smile and a laugh to melt your heart. Her eyes were as blue as the sea."[/say] The familiar prickle of tears gnawed at the back of Remi's eyes, but he just blinked it away.

Delphine sighs at his offer to catch her, [say]"You're always catching me, Remi."[/say] It was true, in more ways than one. She nods, though, even though she's not certain she'll ever be brave enough to jump, or would she be brave enough to admit that she needed help. But this was Remi.

Where he had changed outwards, becoming hardier, different, Delphine had twisted inwards, quiet, meek, forever searching for someone to tell her just what to do and how to do it.

His description of his daughter makes her smile, and she curls one arm around his back, in a loose hug. [say]"I always thought I'd meet your children,"[/say] Because for Delphine, there had never been a doubt in the world that her best friend would have a child. [say]"I'm sorry, for not being here."[/say]

[say]"And I always will."[/say] For better or worse and even after all this time, the loops Delphine had knotted around his heart remained where so many others had eroded or fallen away.

[say]"Well, that makes one of us. I never thought I'd ever have any."[/say] He admitted with a mirthless laugh, leaning his head against hers. With everything how it was in Northaven, with his sexual preferences becoming harder and harder to hide, he thought he'd likely be killed before he could bluff his way into becoming a father.

Delphine smirked, as she brought a hand through his hair, [say]"I would have protected you,"[/say] she drifts into quiet, appreciating his warmth, the familiar body beside of hers. [say]"I'm glad this world is... more accommodating."[/say]

[say]"But I am sorry, for leaving you."[/say] The quiet feels natural, like the day they met in the rain, and she yawns, shaking her head. [say]"Mmm, I should crawl back into the strange blanket nest."[/say] Because sleep, now that she's calmer, might be nice.

[say]'Sounds like you had more on your plate than you ever told me about.'[/say] Remi said with a small shrug, leaning into the familiar feeling of her hands in his curls. [say]"But yes, it is. At least where love and such is concerned."[/say] In terms of other things it was entirely strict and archaic but...at least he had Ronin.

[say]'I didn't find you either.'[/say] He says, as if that settles the score. Long ago when they'd first arrived Remi had put up a notice looking for Delphine, but...truly, he'd not done more than that. He never thought the healer had arrived, after all. [say]'Or you could come inside and sleep on an actual bed."[/say] The Alchemist chuckled, nudging her softly.

[say]"Sometimes... when someone calls you a sedative, a calming drug,"[/say] she shifts, fingers toying with familiar curls, [say]"they slip up. He would have done anything to keep me at his beck and call... knew too much, was too valuable. I used to bring back the dead, you know,"[/say] she says, offhandedly. Which, was probably, why her husband had never tried to force her to leave Remi behind.

If it had come to Remi or Bellamy, in a heartbeat, she'd have chosen, left the shadow man high and dry, with no light to his name.

She's quiet, and then she shrugs, [say]"I guess a real bed would be a treat."[/say] Not that she'd enjoy sleeping alone; she never had.

[say]"I didn't know."[/say] He replied softly, but given how powerful she had been back then, Remi couldn't say he was terribly surprised. Part of him wanted to argue that surely some part of Bellamy had loved Delphine for who she was, for how she saw the world and what she could offer aside from her magic, but...what was the point now? With him gone and her children dead?

[say]"Come on then. We've an extra."[/say] So saying the Alchemist rose, tugging Delphine up with him. [say]"Those can...stay out here."[/say] He said of the blankets and their questionable origin.