Court of the Fallen
When the wind blows - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: When the wind blows (/showthread.php?tid=3400)

Pages: 1 2

When the wind blows - Seren - 05-06-2020

A strong breeze had been blowing in from the sea over the past few days. It swept the usual balmy warmth away from the beaches and set the waves to frothing more than usual where they rolled in towards the shore. By the cliffs of Aumakua they beat themselves into a frenzy against the jagged rocks, coating the stones with a thin sheen of mousture that left them slick and treacherous. Impossible to climb, even for a sure-footed little girl.

Thus confined to the garden, Seren had to find other amusements for herself. Lately, her games of hiding treasure around the house and yard were not as fun as they had been, and while she still enjoyed the stories of mermaids and pirates, she had begun to question much of the things she had been taken for granted up until recently.

Inevitably, her quest for entertainment drove her up into the tree. Climbing had not lost its charm, and with the violent growth spurt she'd undergone her longer arms and legs made it easier to reach limbs and branches that had previously been out of reach. Thus perched in her favorite nest, the girl looked out over the garden, the cliffs, the ocean beyond, and pondered these changes that time had wrought upon her. The wind made her dark hair tumble and dance around the freckled little face, set the tree to swaying and she enjoyed the steady rocking back and forth.

It was soothing, and suited the pensive mood she was in.

RE: When the wind blows - Wessex - 05-07-2020

Unsure whether or not she’s come to see Remi/Ronin, or just take a look at their upgrade from that wagon on the beach, Wessex treks out from Haulani to the outcropping where the lighthouse and the Governor’s House lie. There’s a faint aura of nostalgia as she thinks about her own former residence, now given freely to the people of the Ground for whatever occasion they need it for. She certainly no longer properly resides in her birthplace - nor in Halo, nor in Torchline, for that matter. But then travel is easy for her, isn’t it, so why should she settle down if there’s no one to ‘settle down’ with?

More aimlessly wandering than walking with a purpose, as the blonde woman approaches the house, she starts to understand the appeal. It’s lovely, even with the breeze creating chaos out of her short hair, with the mist and dampness of a seaside home. In fact - the desire to see the crashing waves takes the Wraith to the rocky edge within sight of the garden’s tree. Confident in her abilities, the Wraith is daring and bold, stepping without concern onto the slick rocks - all the way to the edge, where she peers over and into the frothy foam and white-caps.

RE: When the wind blows - Seren - 05-08-2020

Strangers were not unusual around the house. The Lighthouse drew people in that wished to pray or sate their curiosity, while others with more official business would come to see Remi in the new part of the house. Then there was Sunjata's friends and family that would come by to visit the house next door. All in all, it made for good people-watching opportunities, and the tree provided an excellent spot for that. Hidden within the leafy boughs, Seren could see without being seen, and sneaking was her second favorite game after climbing.

The person that wandered around the yard this time was slightly different from the others. This woman did not appear to have any real business with anyone, or was waiting for something - that was Seren's guess - because the roaming seemed without purpose. When it had been a while, and she drew out on the froth-soaked cliffs, Seren was equal parts alarmed and impressed. She was not allowed to go out there now, but rules did not seem to apply to this person.

[say]"Don't slip!"[/say] she called out helpfully from her seat within the swaying tree. Like an oversized squirrel, she scampered down a few levels until she could see the stranger more easily; to maybe catch the trick of how the woman moved so easily without falling over.

RE: When the wind blows - Wessex - 05-11-2020

No, Seren’s right - this particular person has a very difficult time with rules. One could even say she’s shit at following the ones she doesn’t like, cherry-picking when it pleases her. It’s something the young lady’s fathers would probably disapprove of.

Her gaze lifts out to the horizon, where the walter calms a bit and is left for different shades of blue and grey. For a moment she doesn’t seem to register the wind or spray or anything other than the vast beyondness that is… well, beyond what human or machine eyes can see. The girl’s voice registers, though it takes a moment for her to turn and see exactly who is speaking to her. The first thought is that it’s odd that there’s a little girl out, when she didn’t see any other people - the second thought, when she spots the kid’s face - is what is she doing in that yard?

Tilting her head a bit, Wessex puts a hand on her brow to shade her eyes (needless, but still a habit).[say] “Thanks, but I’m fine.”[/say] Taking a few steps forward, the demigoddess is caught between a respect for the privacy of Remi and Ronin and a conflict in what she knows. Aoife is dead. What is a girl-child doing at their house? An assistant’s kid, maybe?[say] “Hi. Who’re you”[/say]

RE: When the wind blows - Seren - 05-15-2020

Well, it was a good thing this woman wasn't easily startled, or she might have spun on a heel, lost balance and slipped, quite in opposition to the helpful advice. Seren was glad this didn't happen, she would have felt awful about it.

At least she succeeded in catching the person's attention, and the raven-haired girl smiled brightly down from her tree when the stranger approached. [say]"I'm Seren,"[/say] she replied cheerfully, so used to answering this question by now that it was almost second nature. [say]"Who are you? What are you doing?"[/say]

There was nothing but curiosity in the question, blunt and to the point though it was. The piercing blue eyes gazed down upon the woman with unwavering confidence, of the kind that had never been betrayed or let down, or had cause to fear.

RE: When the wind blows - Wessex - 05-17-2020

Seren, she says and Wessex thinks it’s a nice name, perhaps colored by the way it’s said so cheerfully. The blonde woman smiles back up at the girl and takes another couple of steps closer.,[say] “I’m Wessex,”[/say] there’s no move to extend a hand, but she does try to being to take in the child’s features, wondering if she’s seen her parents in passing.

[say] “Just looking, really. I like the sea.”[/say] Twisting from her waist, she looks back at the cliff’s edge and the water below.[say] “I like the way it gets white caps when it’s busy, the smell of the salt and everything in it, the way it eats away at rock ever so slowly.”[/say] Turning back to the girl, she cocks her head a bit and is about to ask a question when Loki cries out to her, announcing the black dragonling’s return from her exploratory tangent.

She’s still a ways away from the pair, so Wessex just lifts an arm and waves to indicate where she is, not that Loki had any problem finding her.

RE: When the wind blows - Seren - 05-19-2020

It was indeed a bit far to stretch a hand all the way up to where the girl was perched, and while Seren was polite, she wasn't really raised to take hands. She waved instead; Wessex was a very nice name, it sounded sharp and jagged and a little like a thorny snarl of vines. Those usually had very pretty flowers.

The eyes that gazed back at her were blue as the sea, like a piece of clear sky gone astray. Raven curls hung in a tangled snarl around the thin shoulders, framing a face that was speckled with freckles, like so many dark stars. Anyone who knew Ronin might see a striking similarity, perhaps with the exception of the sharp jawline or the brooding eyebrows. And the girl was decidedly smaller.

[say]"I like the sea too,"[/say] she was saying, chatting away cheerfully like Wessex wasn't a stranger at all. [say]"Daddy is teaching me to swim, and when I am bigger I will go to visit the mermaids in the sea. Delta said I could."[/say]

She was just about to ask if Wessex liked to swim, when the call of a creature cut through the air. The expression on the girl's face brightened with excitement, and without hesitation she leaped from the high branch she had been sitting on. But she didn't fall, or tumble; rather, with a pulse of gravity turned on herself, she drifted slowly down to the ground like a feather, and bounded up to the woman.

[say]"You have a dragon?"[/say] she asked, fairly glowing with excitement.

RE: When the wind blows - Wessex - 05-23-2020

Whatever flowers Wessex might bear would likely be barred by the very thorns Seren imagines. Prickly on the outside, vulnerable on the inside, if she makes her exterior enough of a deterrent, those flowers might stay eternally safe. That’s the cliche version of it, anyway. The other version is that Wessex is just a bitch and she enjoys the power of drawing blood, the flowers urging forth only the most worthy and determined people.

When the girl says Daddy, there’s a fleeting jolt of recognition, the faintest clue in the color of her skin and hair, where Wessex found her, versus where she might otherwise be found. Noting that thought, the Wraith listens, nodding.[say] “Mmmm, Delta and Maru seem like they might be fun to visit.”[/say] She doesn’t question how the girl might do it, but that her father would let her - well, that is peculiar.[say] “Who’s your Daddy?”[/say] she asks, (not in a pervy way, even though it sounded so in Astor’s head)but genuinely curious way. Last she checked, two men couldn’t make a child - let alone a half-grown child. They could adopt, but Aoife had barely been dead two seasons...

The floating is a thing unto itself, making Wessex thrice as curious as she was when Seren first hailed her. Air magic, maybe? Opening her mouth to ask about that, she’s beaten by her exclamation about the dragon, which brings an immediate smile to a face that has more frown lines than not.[say] “Well, I don’t think of it as having.”[/say] Stretching out her arm for Loki to have a larger landing area, the dragonling is drawing ever closer.[say] “I take care of her now, when she’s a baby and She’ll take care of me when she’s grown.”[/say] A cheerful trill floats through the air as the black creature drifts down to land on the Wraith’s arm. Clambering up it to her shoulder, there are still traces of blood on her claws, betraying a successful kill.

Turning her head to the lizard, Wessex says[say] “This is Loki,”[/say] and then gestures to the girl.[say] “Loki, this is Seren.”[/say]

RE: When the wind blows - Seren - 05-24-2020

It was a question the girl had grown used to answering, because apparently her parents weren't good at introducing her to others. Or possibly she was the well-kept secret that kept revealing herself, and would undoubtedly spoil someone's surprise later.

[say]"My dad is Ronin!"[/say] she revealed, with no small amount of pride. [say]"And mama is Safrin!"[/say] Two answers rolled into one, jumping ahead to save Wessex the energy of asking for her mom. Seren was generous like that.

Well down on the ground, she admired the dragon with unabashed delight. The creature was smaller than Sugar, and the scales very dark. Seren reached up a grubby child's hand so that the young dragon could sniff her, if it wanted to.

[say]"Hi Loki! You are really pretty. I want a dragon friend too, someday. Then we can play together and have lots of fun."[/say] She cooed softly, and grinned happily up at Wessex, casually inviting her to this future dragon party.

RE: When the wind blows - Wessex - 05-27-2020

For a moment - no, several - Wessex is utterly still. She doesn’t breathe anyway, doesn’t really fidget the way she used to before she Ascended. Without blinking, the woman might be as still as a statue, utterly taken aback by the news that she is talking with the child of Safrin and Ronin. A half-grown child, at that. Luckily, the girl is distracted by Loki, who is all too eager to entertain another admirer.

Launching herself off Wessex’s shoulder, the dragonling does a little loop around Seren’s head and arrives in front of her, reaching out to examine the offered hand. Once, she might have tried to bite it, but her bonded has cured her of such antics, even though the hand itself is snack-sized and grubby, like some of her food. In fact, she buts her blunt snout up against the child’s fingers, urging the girl to scritch between her ears or down her spine, chirping in encouragement. You see, she, too, has been growing and her scales are itchy sometimes.

By this time, the demigod has recovered and is able to engage the girl again.[say] “Oh, a blue one? That’s very kind of her.”[/say] Kind and Safrin have probably never come out of her mouth in that combination in the past few years.[say] “Loki would love to come. She likes other companions who can fly.”[/say] Chuckling to herself, she admits, in a sort of ‘our secret’ kind of way,[say] “I think she’s secretly very disappointed that I don’t have wings.”[/say]

RE: When the wind blows - Seren - 05-31-2020

Utterly unaware that she had startled someone who is very difficult to surprise, Seren was only too happy to oblige the dragon's demand for attention. She dutifully navigated her little fingers around horns and protrutions to scritch at the nooks and crannies where small claws might not reach. All the while, she cooed soft nothings, heaping praise and whispering nonsense secrets to her newest friend.

When Wessex finally responded, the girl beamed up at her and nodded agreement. Her mother was very kind and generous when she wanted to be, and Seren was in the priviledged position of being someone the goddess might want to spoil, if only a little.

[say]"It would be really nice to have wings. Maybe you could get some too? My dad can fly, he makes a cloud come and sits on it. Do you know him?"[/say] It really would be more practical if she did, but if not then Seren could make introductions. Dragon parties should include Sugar too, after all.

RE: When the wind blows - Wessex - 05-31-2020

The implications of some things are still sinking in - and what comes last is wondering what would happen if Ronin saw her talking with Seren. The girl playing with The Wraith’s companion. She clearly isn’t in any danger, but then there’s Safrin… and the Ascended does not doubt that the Goddess would be irate to find her daughter playing with an abomination like herself.

Now that thought makes her laugh aloud. And in the off-chance that Seren looks up and wonders what she’s laughing at (certainly not her), she turns it into a laugh about a vision of herself with wings.[say] “I’m not sure I’d look great with wings. Have you seen Remi’s big wings? He looks good in them. Besides, I can do something else that’s pretty cool. It’s not quite like flying on a cloud - though I have to admit that the first time I saw your dad on a cloud, I thought that was awesome.”[/say] So yes, she does know Ronin. The intricate turns of their relationship need not be discussed right now.

Leaving Loki where she is, Wessex looks around them and then back to Seren.[say] “What’s the furthest thing you can see? Point it out to me.”[/say] After all, There’s no point in showing off if the girl can’t see where she goes.

RE: When the wind blows - Seren - 05-31-2020

The girl's eyes went wide. [say]"Remi has wings?"[/say] Clearly there were a lot of things her parents (and not-parents) hadn't come around to tell her about yet. She had seen Remi do a lot of fun things, but... [say]"The hawk ones, you mean?"[/say] Seren did know about that shape, though admittedly she rather refrained from ruminating over the last time she saw it.

But at least Wessex almost-answered one of the questions, and the child was content to know that Ronin wasn't unaquainted with this person. It made playing safe - not an actual stranger, right? - and she quite willingly looked around, searching for some far away spot. In the end, her little hand pointed to the top of the roof, which she had been strictly forbidden to climb onto.

[say]"There?"[/say] she suggested, and turned her gaze back to look expectantly at the Wraith, curious to know what this was about.

RE: When the wind blows - Wessex - 06-09-2020

Oops. Nodding quickly to cover her tracks, Wessex quickly agrees that the hawk wings are the ones she’s talking about.[say] “Mhmmm. Those wings.”[/say] Definitely not the wings she was thinking of, but she’ll be damned if she reveals that her other father (??) has a far more ferocious form in his arsenal.

Luckily, the Wraith’s question turns the girl on another tangent; as Seren points to the top of the roof, the older woman nods sagely.[say] “Perfect. Now keep your eyes on the roof - ”[/say] When she’s sure that the girl is looking at the roof and not at her, Wessex teleports herself to the top of the building, leaving Loki to keep an eye on the girl down there (which was kind of silly, giving that they were probably roughly the same age). Once she reappears, Wessex waves down to Seren, a grin on her face. Loki trills up at her, questioning why she’s up there, when she was just down here with them, but if Seren looks around, she’ll see nothing but indents where the Ascended’s feet where.

It’s no trick. Wessex is indeed standing and waving from the tiles far above Seren's head.