Court of the Fallen
it's not like we're friends - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: it's not like we're friends (/showthread.php?tid=3431)

Pages: 1 2

it's not like we're friends - Ronin - 05-12-2020

Between goddess-given canals, a daughter who randomly grew years in the space of a night, and a pact to protect the Hollowed Grounds during Longnight in the shape of a luxere, Ronin was having a helluva ride. And sometimes that ride took him to the Hanged Man, to while away an evening in a glass of whiskey. Only the one, perhaps two - his days of getting shitfaced and rolling home were over now, thanks to Seren (until she sprouted up past the age of sixteen, at least) - and then the Dark Star would be on his way again.

Still, even though he knew he would be spending the worst of Deepfrost in the Hollowed Grounds, he at least got to enjoy the very much milder temperatures of Torchline in the meantime. Sipping at his drink and settling back in his seat, Ronin took a moment to merely enjoy his time alone, people watching and considering the slow meander back to the lighthouse.

RE: it's not like we're friends - Wessex - 05-13-2020

Various voices (whether they knew she was listening or not is irrelevant) have informed the Wraith that The Hanged Man is the place to be; not the only bar in Torchline, but the best when it comes to information, shady deals, and people in the right place at the right time.

Coincidences are rarely coincidences, after all. Except when they are - like this one. As Wessex is unable to truly enjoy a drink the way she used to, it’s rare to find her in a bar unless it’s a special occasion, a meeting, or she simply hasn’t explored it yet. So when she walks into the place tonight and her gaze lands on Ronin, various flashbacks to other meetings in bars or with drinks make her throw a glance skyward as if to say, do you think this is funny?

But she’s never been one to leave because someone else is already there - even broody, dramatic ones like Ronin. Settling efficiently into the seat next to him, the Wraith signals for the bartender whilst saying quietly,[say] “It ain’t the Rath, but this kind of encounter feels oddly familiar.”[/say]

RE: it's not like we're friends - Ronin - 05-14-2020

Broody and dramatic was not something Ronin was used to being called, even if he literally epitomised it a lot of the time these days. Still, the spell would be broken as the Wraith came to ghost into the seat beside him, his blue eyes widening in not-unpleasant surprise. [say]"You can say that again,"[/say] he said with a snort, putting down his half full glass. [say]"A bit different now though, don't you reckon? I'm not a king and you're not a queen. Funny how things work out."[/say]

The amount each of them had been through, tapped into by goddesses and bestowed with gifts that some would consider beyond compare, it felt like they were bound to each other in some way, Ronin and Wessex. Even if it wasn't be allegiance to the Hollowed Grounds any longer. [say]"How have you been?"[/say] he asked. [say]"Enjoying your jaunt through the world?"[/say]

RE: it's not like we're friends - Wessex - 05-15-2020

[say] “Thank the Gods,”[/say] she replies with a snort.[say] “Worst job I’ve had, the fucking ungrateful lot of ‘em.”[/say] And thought she says it lightly, there’s always a bit of truth to her griping. She orders something dark and strong, heedless of alcohol content and enjoying the appearance of someone who can handle her liquor.

While she’d always feel some kinship and affection for the Hollowed Ground, it feels more like a distant dream now, her horizons increasing experiences growing exponentially, the ability to teleport taking her easily from place to place and leaving her able to hang her cloak wherever she likes. So to that, she smiles, one of those rare, satisfied smiles that comes from talking about something one truly loves.[say] “I’m okay. Good, actually. This feels like the kind of life I was meant to lead - exploring, experiencing.”[/say] Chuckling, she takes a sip of her drink when it comes.[say] “Don’t tell Neron, but Torchline is better than Halo.”[/say]

Turning a bit to face him, the Wraith tilts her head a bit.[say] “You? Keeping away from the temples here?”[/say] It is, of course, meant to be a joke, considering the things that happened last time he tried to destroy a temple.

RE: it's not like we're friends - Ronin - 05-15-2020

[say]"Now, now. It's hardly their fault,"[/say] Ronin said mildly, a crooked grin on his face as he took up his drink again and sipped at it. [say]"The problem was always with us, I think. We took it on because it was put upon us. Not because we really wanted to change things."[/say] And gods but hadn't it taken its toll; Ronin might be part of Torchline's government, might be a fellow demi god, but he shied from leadership and the chance to get people killed under his purview.

Hearing that Wessex was good did soften his smile, funnily enough; they'd certainly had their moments, but now, after everything, Ronin could hardly be bothered to hold a grudge. [say]"You know, I've never actually met the man,"[/say] he said of Neron, chuckling, [say]"but I promise, your secret is safe with me."[/say]

Once the joke about the temple would have made him grimace, but now Ronin could actually appreciate the humour. He snorted and raised his glass. [say]"No temples in danger of me, here,"[/say] he promised. [say]"Though I have been better, I'll be honest. It's difficult, starting again. For me, at least."[/say]

RE: it's not like we're friends - Wessex - 05-15-2020

A throaty hum is all that she can say to that assessment, thoroughly disagreeing about what she wanted to do in the Hollowed Grounds, but unwilling to start an argument. And as for what they’re doing now - that is, nothing, she is also unwilling to comment. What Ronin does have right is that the problem was with her. And him. Together or separate, they were not the kind of leaders the Ground needed at that time.

And it’s time she let that chapter go.

[say] “He’s a Launceleyn through and through. Different than Zariah and Loren and Edy, but still very much a Launceleyn.”[/say] And Ascended. Which may or may not be why she likes him more. In fact, as time goes on she’s found that she has fewer problems with the Outlander men than she’d originally had; maybe it’s because they’re spread out and doing their own thing, but these one-off interactions are far more to her liking than the daily kind.

[say] “I can only imagine”[/say] the Wraith replies quietly, a nod of recognition to the difficulty of moving on after losing a child. And she’s just about to find out who Seren is - maybe - so Astor is trying to avoid that for at least another post.[say] “But I am glad to hear you’re doing better.”[/say] There’s no sage advice, no time heals all woulds bullshit. He’s likely to have heard it often enough.[say] “And I hope you enjoy your LongNight outside of the Grounds. I hear it’s quite different in Torchline.”[/say]

RE: it's not like we're friends - Ronin - 05-16-2020

[say]"He sounds delightful,"[/say] Ronin said dryly, the ghost of a smile curling across his lips. That was to say, while he hadn't met Neron personally, he knew enough about the family to know that being a Launceleyn 'through and through' might not necessarily be a good thing, if Zariah had been the one to set that bar. He let the other threads of conversation go - neither of them was in charge of the Grounds now, and it seemed to be treating them well enough.

Finishing his drink rather than boring them both with comments about how he hoped Wessex only had to ever imagine that sort of pain (because really now, they were treading into the morose), he could only snort and lean back in his seat as the discussion turned to Longnight. [say]"If only I could,"[/say] he said. [say]"I'll actually be at the Grounds during Longnight. Mission from Safrin."[/say] Having similar ties to a goddess, he felt Wessex wouldn't need much more of an explanation than that. [say]"Where will you be spending it?"[/say]

RE: it's not like we're friends - Wessex - 05-17-2020

In the grounds? LongNight? Wessex is all mechanical ears for this.

Though Ronin may not want to talk about it more, the Wraith’s interest is piqued and she has to try for a bit more information than just a LongNight mission.[say] “Really?”[/say] Pausing just long enough to make it seem like she might have an internal debate about asking, she goes ahead and does just that.[say] “What kind of mission, if you don’t mind me asking?”[/say] Beyond her obsession with anything and everything LongNight related, there is the black hole of wanting her own mission for the week and not having it.

It is… the right choice. But it doesn’t make her feel any better about being somewhat useless and going where the wind takes her.[say] “Wherever I want to be,”[/say] she offers back with a discontented shrug - her standard answer. No commitments yet. Nothing to tie her down.

RE: it's not like we're friends - Ronin - 05-17-2020

She latched onto it as if she knew he didn't want to talk about it, and Ronin couldn't help but let out a defeated laugh. Finishing his drink, he would appear to get up from the table with his glass - while at the same time staying seated. Being in two places at once was good for more than silly things like fighting and exploration, and Ronin sent his astral projection to fetch another drink from the bar - he'd need it, at this rate.

[say]"It's a personal thing,"[/say] he admitted. [say]"When Vanya died - Aoife's mother - she was placed up in the sky as a star. I was there with her for a while, but now she's alone, and Aoife is with Mort."[/say] Ronin's brow furrowed. [say]"I asked Safrin if she might take her down again, which... is possible, apparently, but would really piss off Ludo. So I'm to keep watch over the Hollowed Grounds at Longnight, to stop so many souls from being lost. It doesn't like Longnight, or so I've heard, and this is supposed to... placate it, I guess?"[/say]

RE: it's not like we're friends - Wessex - 05-17-2020

Of course she latches on to it, because Wessex is secretly a nosy bitch and it’s the only way she can get information, because no one tells her shit anymore. She does, at least, have the emotional intelligence to keep her questions to a minimum, nodding quietly at the beginning of the explanation, because she remembers the LongNight when Aoife was born and that woman - Vanya - died. It was tragic, but she’d seen those exact tragedies before and thought little of it beyond the initial empathy for Ronin and his daughter.

Now it comes full circle. Wessex swirls the liquid in her glass and then takes a sip, mulling it around in her mouth.[say] “Does it have to be alone?”[/say] she asks, quietly. The week is hard, the Monsters are strong, and while she is sure Safrin will give him some kind of magical protection, there is little to shield the mind. And they will sink their claws into his experiences, they will find a way to pull his nightmares from his thoughts and bring them to life.

Turning her face to him again, there’s an unusually soft concern in her eyes: Wessex has seen him unhinged, knows the destruction he can wreak, even if it’s unintentional. She does not mean to intrude upon his mission, but if he need not do it all alone, then why should he?

RE: it's not like we're friends - Ronin - 05-21-2020

Ronin found himself relieved at her silence, at her acceptance, appreciating the Wraith in a brand new light with that simple act of empathy. He waited until his projection returned with a new drink, dissipating into starlight as Ronin dismissed it, before responding. [say]"I don't believe so,"[/say] he murmured. [say]"Safrin granted me an advantage, of sorts. I've acquired the ability to become a luxere, which is just as fetching as you might imagine."[/say]

And that had been quite the adjustment, but if it kept the Longnight monsters at bay then so be it. The concern from her was perhaps more jarring than anything, cutting deep to the core of him that knew he had it in him to go off the rails if pushed hard enough. [say]"I'll be there, I hope, to lead people to and from different places should they be forced to go out."[/say]

RE: it's not like we're friends - Wessex - 05-22-2020

[say] “Fuckin’ useful, that -”[/say] she gestures with her glass to the astral projection as it returns with a drink, actually quite impressed with the ingenuity. Almost empty, she won’t be refilling it, mostly because it’s a waste of money and booze that should be appreciated by those with functional taste buds and nervous systems.

As the Dark Star is polite enough to reveal the nature of the mission, Wessex feels like it’s an apt time to share her own failed - er, postponed - attempt for LongNight. Whether it’s more of a musing into her glass, brought on by the idea of someone out and about during the week, or share time with Ronin might be hard to tell.[say] “The Ascended were going to try and take out the LongNight Monsters this year. Didn’t come to fruition, but next year -”[/say] She trails off, a hopeful upward lilt indicating that her efforts aren’t yet over.

[say] “If it would help, I could pop in a couple of times during the week. See if you need anything.”[/say] Between her power, the Shadow cloak, and his antler light, she is confident she would be safe-ish.[say] “Let you get some sleep.”[/say] Because he knows she doesn’t need to eat, and the cold won’t bother her. Neither will the darkness.

RE: it's not like we're friends - Ronin - 05-22-2020

[say]"It's definitely not the most appropriate use for it, but it's a perk nonetheless, no?"[/say] Ronin smirked at Wessex's comments about his astral projection, finding himself relying on it more and more for smaller things as he became more familiar with it. And, well, he did have a functioning nervous system and taste buds, so he would absolutely continue to enjoy his drink. (Even if he was having more than planned. That would be fine, obviously. Right? Right.)

He raised his eyebrows as she spoke about the Longnight monsters, surprised to learn (and perhaps disappointed at being surprised) that the Ascended were organising efforts to try and prevent their rampage during the week of darkness. [say]"That's a very noble cause,"[/say] he said, sounding impressed but not surprised. [say]"And a difficult one. I wish you the best of luck whenever you attempt it - and I know you don't need me to tell you to be careful."[/say]

Her offer to check in on him made something tighten and twist in his gut, almost as if he hadn't thought himself worth being considered. Not after all that had happened. Still, the smile he shot her way was warm and relieved, and he nodded. [say]"You know, I'd like that. Only if you have the time and inclination, though. You might be busy, in all these other places."[/say]

RE: it's not like we're friends - Wessex - 05-24-2020

What even is ‘appropriate’ these days, hm? Wessex chuckles dryly.[say] “Oh, I think we went way past appropriate uses for magic when there were firework cocks in the sky.”[/say] Pretty though. They’d rarely had fireworks in the Bubble, before the Outlanders came. They all use their powers shamelessly. It’s a thing.

Taking note of his tone, her head bobs slowly up and down in agreement. Noble and obsessive. Stupid, probably, too.[say] “Thanks. We’ll need it.”[/say] Anyone would need it, not just her small band of brave souls. Goddess, she is proud of them, though. And here she is, laying the seeds for potential favors in the future, for aid when they need it - smoothing over old tensions as best as an old, emotionally unintelligent outcast can.

Tossing the rest of her drink back, The Wraith fixes him with a look as she swallows.[say] “Pretty sure I can manage at least one. Things never really go according to plan, and I am a sucker for heroics.”[/say] She offers an exaggerated shrug, poking fun mostly at herself.