Court of the Fallen
that's how you know - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: that's how you know (/showthread.php?tid=3443)

that's how you know - Delta - 05-14-2020

You wanna know what's stupid? Sticks. Sticks are very stupid.

Here Delta was, just swimming along trying to enjoy her life when a stick got caught right in her hair. It wasn't a normal stick either, nope, it was one of those little ones with tons of spikes and so when she tried to get it out the first time, it just broke! Getting even more stuck in her hair and being actually a bit painful. Safe to say, her hair was absolutely ruined! All that hard work went to nothing and no way was she going to swim for any longer with the hair in an absolute tangled up mess.

Moving on up to the surface, she rested against some rocks, sitting down almost on some that were just below the surface, allowing her fish half to be underwater while the rest was above. And that's how she started off her day at the surface, combing through her hair with her fingers. Today was going to be a nice day on the surface, but fine. Whatever. She can do her hair up here instead.

Grumbling along, the mermaid continued to work on her hair, only a few feet away from the nearest island and in perfect view, of course, she was a bit distracted herself, clearly a bit grumpy at this time.

Raza

RE: that's how you know - Raza - 05-18-2020

There was a game I used to play with Ella when we were kids; it was stupid and I’m sure it scared the shit out of our parents (if they cared), but it was a Torcher tradition. Every kid played it until they knew how not to get trapped among the Isles.

One has just floated close enough to another for me to swim/wade across and as I come to solid ground, I can see that this island is just a liiiiiittle one. Skinny and long. Rocks and coral on the other side. Crossing to the more jagged edge, I’m sure to explore all my options, checking the water depth and seeing how close the other island are - Oh. I guess I’m not the only one out here.

Didn’t think anyone else would be playing the Isles Game with the water getting colder, but I guess I’m wrong.[say] “Oy!”[/say] I call out of the girl (I think?) with her back to me.[say] “You been there long? Anything passed by on this side?”[/say]Some Isles move like clockwork. Some don’t. I got plenty of time, but there have been times when I’ve been stuck for awhile before. And this one, unfortunately, doesn’t have any trees. Just sun, sand, and rocks.

RE: that's how you know - Delta - 05-22-2020

A voice rings out in the air, clearly calling out to her seeing as she's in a very deserted area. Turning her head around, her pauses, still placed at the bottom of her hair. Tilting her head, Delta drops the head to the side and begins to inspect the girl whilst hearing her out. The girl was, honestly, very pretty. It was rare that Delta spoke with women lately, typically seeing mostly men these days. The last girl Delta got to speak with was Seren, so this was a nice breath of fresh air.

The conversation was also nice and only made Delta even more interested in the mysterious girl. [say]"Nothin' has shifted too majorly recently, I'd assume an island should get pretty close soon."[/say] It was the best guess she could make, seeing as she hadn't been watching the islands too intently. Still, she was well aware of their movements, seeing as she had to find a way to safely swim back home. [say]"I'd say... give it a little bit and you should be fine."[/say] She offered her a small smile before deciding to ask her own question.

[say]"What brings you out here to this island? This one isn't exactly the most fun."[/say]

RE: that's how you know - Raza - 05-26-2020

Mmmm yes, okay, so it’s a lady over there, at least it is from the sound of the voice. As I continue to cross the isle, it becomes more physically obvious that the person is female, and we go from shouting-distance to speaking-loudly distance. There’s somethin’ nagging me about this, though. I don’t presume to know why people are out here, or why she’s not sitting more on the island. Ain’t really any of my business. So I just nod and smile, finding a rock to sit on, takin’ a rest and refuel break.[say] “Thanks.”[/say] A little waitin’ was part of the game, after all.

I keep lookin’ out of the corner of my eye at her (not necessarily invitin’ conversation, you know) and when she asks another question, I take the opportunity to fully look.[say] “I’m playing the Isles game. With m’self.”[/say]

AH! I know what it is. It’s the way she’s turned, it don’t look natural.[say] “Hey why’re you out there?”[/say] The water isn’t freezing, but it isn’t warm, either. I’m betting she’s been there for a bit.[say] “Ain’t the water cold?”[/say]

RE: that's how you know - Delta - 06-01-2020

It was a pleasant sight to have the girl before her respond nicely and sit down to join her. Delta assumed that the girl probably would've left if an island was nearby, but it was always nice to have any sort of company and she also appreciated sharing her opinion.

The voice returned and Delta nodded. The Isles games. How fascinating! Some young merfolk made up games centered around the isles as well, such as racing and other things of that sort, but those didn't sound like something that a human could do.

Before Delta could ask about the games, the woman spoke up again, this time revealing something that really explained a lot. Giggling to herself, Delta shook her head. [say]"Nope! Er- to the cold part."[/say] Lifting up her tail, she tried to show off her fins so that they were just above the water. [say]"I'm a mermaid, so not really."[/say] It was amusing to her that so many humans were confused by her. It was funny.

[say]"You see, I was swimming, but my hair got super tangled, so I came up here to fix it."[/say] It all made sense to her and honestly, seeing as Delta had answered her questions, she should be allowed to ask her own. [say]"I'm Delta... can you tell me more about these Isles games?"[/say]

RE: that's how you know - Raza - 06-03-2020

[say] “Oh.”[/say] is all I can really say, having neither met nor thought about the possibility of meeting a mermaid. How is it that now, of all times, so many things are happenin’ so quickly? The portal, the Outlanders, Merfolk… I shake my head, cause I should’a known by how she was sittin’ out there. And as she lifts her tail an’ fins so I can see, I end up starin’. It’s a beautiful, if slightly weird, combination.[say] “Of course. Sorry. Yer the first I’ve met.”[/say]

Coming down to the edge of the water, I continue to munch on my snack. It seems like she’s got the hair thing under control, so I keep my offer of help to myself. There are enough prickly proud people in Torchline that I don’t tend to offer help unless it’s obvious that they need it.[say] “Well, when we’re kids an’ big enough to swim long distances, it’s kind’a rite of passage. We boat out t’the Isles an’ then try to hop ‘em to the Maw an’ back in one day. Sometimes there are teams an’ sometimes it’s solo. Real source’a pride amongst teenagers an’ adults encourage it cause it keeps kids out’a trouble.”[/say]

For a little bit, at least. There’s the inherent risk of drowning and danger, but Torchers grow up knowing those risks. It’s a given. Life is dangerous.

[say] "So... why are you guys only now comin' to the surface and showin' up an' stuff?"[/say] The canals are cool and all, an' I think it might make some parts of Haulani pretty, but will it be worth the effort.[say] "Are there a lot'a you you want to come to Haulani?"[/say]

RE: that's how you know - Delta - 06-03-2020

Offering the woman a smile, Delta giggles and waves her hand in the air. [say]"No apologies needed! I've... surprisingly gotten used to the mistake, so no harm done."[/say] Really, it was more amusing than anything that this seemed to happen so frequently. It wasn't that Raza was dumb, far from it, Delta just found the coincidence to be deeply humorous. [say]"I am touched that I'm your first mermaid. Am I everything you ever dreamed of?"[/say] There is a giggle and a little pose, a joke to hopefully ease any tension that Raza may be feeling due to the mistake.

The explanation of the Isles game is actually a very interesting one. Delta nods along and listens intently. She has many of her own opinions but overall, she really does like the game and it sounds super fun! [say]"That sounds really fun, it's too bad I cant exactly join in."[/say] There is a light shrug and a smile. [say]"I'd think it's also important because it teaches you to think for yourself- problem solve. Also, swimming is one of the most important things to learn, if you ask me."[/say] There is a playfulness to her last comment, signaling she is yet again playing around. While she does deeply believe this, she also is under the impression that many others probably wouldn't agree with her, others being land-walkers.

Her question is wise and Delta is left pondering how to exactly explain it. The second one too is one that she can answer, yes, but wisely? Well, that's going to be a tad bit hard. [say]"I cant speak for my- our leader, but I can tell you my opinion?"[/say] Straightening up a bit, she continued on. [say]"At first, I guess we just didn't want to come out? While our leader did speak with the governor, it wasn't really a strong bond- not as strong as the one that's currently forming."[/say] From what she could tell, this new Governor, Remi, was ready to be extremely active. [say]"I'm personally super interested in exploring Haulani- but I also just love exploring in general... something that many other merfolk aren't super interested in."[/say] That could be the ultimate reason why this was Raza's first time seeing a mermaid- Delta simply loved seeing things! She was driven by something that many other merfolk had zero interest in, leading to them remaining deep underwater.

RE: that's how you know - Raza - 06-12-2020

[say] “Well there ain’t a lot’a firsts left for me, so -”[/say] I have a bit of a knowing tone about me, trying to impart that I’m a rather experienced adult, so the idea of something that I haven’t done, tried, or seen before is a novelty unto itself. Like the Fae. That’s where I put mermaids, in the same category. So it should be self-explanatory why she didn’t think the top-half was linked to a fish bottom.  

Without needing to comment more on the Isles games, I just nod. She mostly has the right of it;  it makes our kids strong and hopefully able to make better decisions, preparing them for lives on ships, or in a fight. Or both.

[say] “I see…”[/say] Well she’s right, Remi ain’t nothin’ like the old Gov’nor. Maybe its a ‘right time, right person, right place’ kind’a thing - everything comin’ to a head at once. What’s becoming increasingly obvious is that we, the original Torchers, need to catch up or be left behind. I take a minute to scan the horizon, keeping an eye out for the next Isle, wherever it may be. And then a bite of my food and a sip of water.[say] “So what’s yer name? An’ how do yer folks feel about you explorin’?”[/say]

RE: that's how you know - Delta - 06-30-2020

Her comment earns a smile from Delta who actually does understand what she means. Of course, Delta thinks of smaller things like first time having sex or first time kissing, all others are kind of just washed away and not even considered. It isn't really something Delta is bothered by, rather, she's happy to hear Raza be open about herself. [say]"I still got a lot to do myself, so I guess I'm the opposite."[/say] She lets out a huff, okay with making fun of herself a small bit.

Their conversation moves on, albeit, not a lot of talking is done. Offering the woman a shrug, she tries to answer the question. [say]"They're not a big fan... most have actual jobs to do and stuff. Some don't care for humans so they don't quite understand why I like exploring or searching for stuff."[/say] She isn't too bothered by it, but she doesn't appreciate being seen as lesser for what she enjoys. It's something that goes completely unspoken, only hinted at ever so slightly.

Shifting the subject, she tries to appear fully happy once more. [say]"I'm Delta, and you are?"[/say] Surely, the woman had a name.

RE: that's how you know - Raza - 07-02-2020

[say] “Raza,”[/say] I say, steppin’ into the water to offer a handshake without even waitin’ to consider if that’s the way merfolk do things. It’s probably safe to stick with just my name, cause I also have no fuckin’ clue if they know what a bar is, or if they drink. The canal’s gonna run by my place, so figure I might start seein’ some of ‘em - but that’s a thought for another time. Right now, I’m still - ah, there comes one.

I look up as an Isle starts to come closer, smilin’, cause I really do love this game.[say] “I get that. Humans are shit.”[/say] To say the least. If the merfolk ‘ave seen anythin’ over the years, it’s probably how we do a bunch of bad shit and a little bit’a good stuff and hope that things work out in the end.[say] “Sometimes it’s better to stay where ya are.”[/say] Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Sometimes.

Like I fuckin’ wish the portal was gone and we were just good ‘ol regular Torchline again.

[say] “Sorry to go, but there’s an Isle comin’ an’ -”[/say] I shrug. Grin a little.[say] “Maybe I’ll see ya in the canals, then, yeah?”[/say] Even if she is the only one usin' em.

RE: that's how you know - Delta - 07-03-2020

A hesitant hand reached up and attempted to shake Raza's hand. Delta had learned what a handshake meant, but never had she actually done one with a human. Her grip was gentle and her hand was notably wet, literally. Still, it was a sign that Delta was at least trying to get used to these human customs so that she could avoid accidentally offending a human. That'd be super bad.

The woman's glance shifts and Delta follows it, watching as an isle draws near. [say]"Not all humans suck... you seem super nice."[/say] There's a faint smile on her face and maybe even highlights of a blush, seen only if specifically looked at. [say]"Yeah, don't worry. I have no plans of traveling outside of Torchline."[/say] There is a small bit of hesitation before she says the next part, a gnawing at her lips. Her voice comes out slow at first, as if she is treading on dangerous waters. [say]"But, I am excited for these canals."[/say] A pause between words. [say]"It is new but also seems safe and- really good."[/say] Her words are chosen meticulously and she hopes that Raza agrees with her.

As the isle draws near, Delta can already assume what the woman says before the comment is made. It's too bad, Raza seems awfully nice. [say]"Yeah- yeah that'd be great. I'd really like to talk to you again."[/say] There was a certain thing to Raza that Delta appreciated- she wasn't sure what it was but it made her desire to meet with her again. Their conversations had been so brief and she wanted to learn more. So, so much more.

Delta would watch as the woman left, making sure that she stayed safe. It wouldn't be long after this that she'd return to the water herself, heading back down to occupy herself with other activities.

Fin