Court of the Fallen
[PQ] veins are paved with hope - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [PQ] veins are paved with hope (/showthread.php?tid=3444)

Pages: 1 2

veins are paved with hope - Sunjata - 05-14-2020

It was an empty shack sort of place on the edge of Haulani at the end of the road, hidden right up into the section of Apopo. The lava had missed it, thanks to the work Remi and Jigano had done to prevent it, but that didn’t mean that it was too salvageable. Indeed, the roof’s caved in, door half broken, a variety of rooms within that could be adapted with stone into a prison with an absolutely clear thought of ‘if you’re here, you better not be again’.

After all, the volcano had just erupted, it likely shouldn’t again, right? Right?

They didn’t need to know that, however.

So he brings whatever tools anyone might need, trying to keep from straining too much and popping a stitch because he’s sure he won’t hear the end of it – no amount of apologies would keep from getting chewed out by it. At least in this instance he’d have a real place to put them and follow through with his Arbiter position.

He’d slipped a note toward Remi and Ronin specifically, inviting them along, waiting at the entrance with a cigarette hanging from his lip as he leans against the half broken doorframe.

PQ to set up Torchline's prison!

- Remi
- Ronin
- Zephyr

Pls post your arrival and we can get startedddd!!

RE: veins are paved with hope - Ronin - 05-15-2020

[say]"Listen,"[/say] Ronin was saying, his words obviously directed at Remi as they appeared heading towards the building that Sunjata had indicated, [say]"I'm just saying that you must have been the one to tell all these people that apparently I can build houses or some shit, because I've never received so many invitations. I hate building hous-- heyyyy, Jata."[/say]

The Dark Star's grin was brighter now than it had been in recent days; one could get used to anything, apparently. His sleeves were rolled up and he had made sure to pull on a pair of working boots for this little venture, approaching the Arbiter to clap him on the shoulder, careful not to jostle him about too much. [say]"Just tell me where to be, and I'll do all your heavy lifting. As usual."[/say] He winked.

RE: veins are paved with hope - Remi - 05-15-2020

[say]"What you can't do is simultaneously brag about all your muscles and how strong you are, and then never actually be willing to put your money where your mouth is."[/say] Remi quipped back. Like his husband, the Alchemist was dressed more or less appropriately for this venture. Rather than bare feet and arms, he wore appropriate footwear and a shirt that would hopefully ward off the dust and any small abrasions that he might otherwise receive.

[say]"Besides, if I remember correctly you've seen the inside of a jail cell on more than a few occasions, so you're absolutely necessary for this."[/say] Remi added with a shit-eating grin, nodding crookedly towards Sunjata.

RE: veins are paved with hope - Zephyr - 05-16-2020

Are we doin' black and white? Nobody warned you, but it's okay. Much like Ki, you're pretty good at adopting the right look for the job.

When you heard there was a prison being built, well, you had to go and see what the fuss would be about. Still unsure where exactly the new governor and his Arm-biter stand on the issue of your line of work, you feel it's important for a less savory Torcher to be part of this infrastructure building process. And if it turns out some modifications are needed, hey, you're decent at construction, as well as working under people's noses.

Anywho. Tall-Jata, Governator, and the First Husband are already gathered around and smiling, so you join them at a languid walk, tilting your head in greeting. [say]"Gentlemen,"[/say] you rumble, laugh lines deepening despite your lack of overt smile. [say]"Heard y'all were plannin' on doin' somethin' 'bout the less savory element. Thought I might help. Name's Zeph."[/say]

RE: veins are paved with hope - Sunjata - 05-17-2020

He takes a pull from the cigarette as Remi and Ronin arrive, flashing them a smoky grin and an incline of his head. “[say]He’s got a point, you know.[/say]” Sunjata rumbles with a light chuckle, nodding his head toward Remi at the mention of putting money where the mouth is. But then, he’s looking between the two men, snorting to himself when Remi mentions Ronin’s seen the inside of a jail a few times, and Sunjata exhales a small sigh with that. “[say]I knew Ronin and I got along.[/say]” He chimes, flashing an amused grin toward the hunter before his attention is caught by Zephyr.

“[say]Ah, hey Zeph.[/say]” He begins, flashing a small wave to the man as he pulls the cigarette from his lips to stamp it out to continue working. “[say]That’s the plan. Needed some place to put them.[/say]” He adds, pushing off the door frame – a bit sorely – before looking to all of them. “[say]There’s lots to be done, sorry Ronin –[/say]” A grin sent his way with a wink, before he continues. “[say]This place was hit hard with the ash, so the roof is shit. We’ll need to take it off and put a new one up. Inside, we gotta take down one wall and reinforce it to add in the bars for the holding cell.[/say]” His gaze flickers to Remi with that, at the mention of that drunkard cage of sorts they’d talked about.

Then, of course, the other rooms could be converted to varying cells of a sort. “[say]Then, the cells can fit into the rooms I imagine. Just need some extra stone added in.[/say]” He moves away from the door frame then to grab a few of the tools they’ll need. “[say]Unfortunately, I’ll need to rely on you all a bit more than usual.[/say]” He snorts, the subject of being stabbed crossing his mind briefly. “[say]But I have basically a million shifts now, so I’ll help where I can.[/say]”

Round oneeee!

One or two to remove the rubble and repair the roof!
One for removing the wall between two of the bedrooms to turn it into a holding cell
One for reinforcing the other bedrooms for cells

No post order :3

RE: veins are paved with hope - Ronin - 05-17-2020

[say]"Ronin - nice to meet you."[/say] He nodded at the final member of their little group as he came to join them, before turning back to Jata to hear out his plans (though not before elbowing Remi in the ribs). [say]"I've never broken anyone out of jail though, and that's more than can be said for you,"[/say] he remarked, remembering how the bars of his cell had turned to spaghetti once his husband had had enough of him being behind them.

Anyway - to work, then. He'd done enough building of rooftops for his own home, but messing around in the Halenani had been fun enough, so he opted for destruction. [say]"I'll get that wall down in no time,"[/say] he assured Sunjata, tossing him a lazy salute before heading inside to do just that. And how, do you ask?

Ronin had taken down the Temple in the Hollowed Grounds once, and by now he was much better with his starbolts. So conjuring one up, the Star went to work.

Ronin opts for removing the wall, using a starbolt to start knocking it down.

RE: veins are paved with hope - Zephyr - 05-18-2020

You nod to the first-gentleman (queen? governess? broodmaster general?), waving a greeting before turning back to Tall-Jata and his directions. New roof, new walls, and reinforced rooms- and that last one piques your interest a bit, an idea forming in your mind.

[say]"I'll take rocks'n walls. Not much'a one for heights."[/say] Thus spoken, you whistle a shanty tune and wander toward wheelbarrow full of stones (it's definitely there, don't @ me), taking them in to start on reinforcing the cell walls.

And if a couple places are left a little bit weaker when pressed on in just the spot, just so, where tugging on a rock might leave a little space between the inside world and the outside - well, who's really hurt by such a tiny, meaningless act of anarchy?

Zephyr chooses to reinforce the back walls. He attempts to put in sekrit panels/stones that can be removed if you know where to press~

RE: veins are paved with hope - Remi - 05-21-2020

[say]"Good to put a face to a name."[/say] The Alchemist said with a sly nod in Zephyr's direction. Jack had mentioned the man once or twice as someone worth knowing, but Remi wouldn't get into those details just now.

Hmmmphing under his breath at the reminder, Remi merely shrugged and grinned innocently enough at Ronin and then at Sunjata. Watching Ronin and Zephyr get to work, the Alchemist rolled his eyes and nodded towards the Floor. [say]"Alright Mr. One Thousand Shifts, that's you'n me on the roof then."[/say] So saying, Remi flashed Sunjata a grin, before his body contorted and grew. Large wings would likely help brushing away the ash on the roof. If it helped compensate for only now having two shifts, so be it.

Remi shifts into a manticore to get the ash and debris off the roof with his wings.

RE: veins are paved with hope - Sunjata - 05-21-2020

Introductions get out of the way quickly as do the tasks they’ve picked, but luck isn’t on the majorities side (read: holy shit those dice rolls were not good fam). As Ronin enters the building and moves toward the section for where the holding cell would be, things look relatively fine. The wall that the Star focuses on looks fine from the outside, but as the starbolt careens toward it, it shatters through the wall and rebounds pieces toward the other walls – punching holes through them.

Zephyr on his attempt to try and secure the cell and leave a few spaces just soft enough, do start to backfire. One remains fine, but the rest of the panels he’s placed in begin to crumble – perhaps due to the weight of the wall around it or the material and how it was affected by the volcano blast. It’s hard to tell, but the task begins to crumble before the smuggler’s eyes.

Remi and Sunjata begin to move toward the top of the roof, and Sunjata shifts to his bat shift – imagining the leathery wings would be easier to remove the rubble rather than getting pieces stuck in feathers. And as he gets up there and Remi begins to blow the pieces and debris to the top of the roof off with his wings, Sunjata works to try and remove the hardened ash from the corners of the roof and under the shingles. He’s pretty successful with nearly half the roof by the time the wing beats begin to grow a bit too strong. The ash is removed easily enough with Remi’s work, but the debris that remains begins to tear off some of the shingles (even some of the good ones). They go flying off into the street and alleys below, while Sunjata focuses on removing the ash clinging to what shingles remain. [say]Oops, well…[/say] Sunjata rumbles with a chuckle down the bond toward Remi – dark eyes peeking up from a shingle he hides under. [say]It’s a good thing I brought more.[/say] He offers instead, moving to clean up the rest of the shingles that had remained.

Rolls were not on our sides fam, so I guess keep on keepin’ on LOL

No post order <3

RE: veins are paved with hope - Ronin - 05-22-2020

[say]"Well, fuck."[/say] A very elegant oops on Ronin's part, as he was apparently too overzealous with his starbolt and caused damage to walls that did not require knocking down. Well, at least it wasn't a Temple this time...

Still, breathing in deeply through his nose and out again, the Dark Star got to work in at least finishing the demolition of the wall for the holding cell, this time with old fashioned tools (read, a sledgehammer from outside). Once he was finished, he got the rubble together to try and find something suitable to patch the damage done to the other walls. Maybe he could make it into a feature or something?

Ronin finishes the demolition of the partition wall by hand, then tries to patch the damage to the other walls using rubble from the wall he knocked down.

RE: veins are paved with hope - Remi - 05-23-2020

At first it all seems to be going well. Ash flies off into the streets (that's something to be dealt with later), and with Sunjata's help some of the trickier bits seem to be floating away as well. Grumbling, much as a manticore could, Remi narrowed his eyes slightly and huffed. [say]Glad no one was watching that.[/say] He chuckled back through their bond, miming a certain haughty sourness at how poorly things had gone.

Shifting into a hawk, a form considerably lighter and more dexterous, the bird began to tug at some debris lodged along the gutter and in the corners just as Sunjata had done. After that, he began to gently walk over the remaining shingles to see which would need to be removed and replaced. Those that did, he'd  grab in his beak and toss over the side, before carrying on.

RE: veins are paved with hope - Zephyr - 05-23-2020

Well fuck. So much for leaving helpful little hidey holes- seems the wall is more of a disaster than you expected. Huffing your frustration but keeping quiet (just like everyone else, rude mental-speech fuckers but you don't know that) you turn back to your wall.

You have no magic or animal shift or anything else to help, only your calloused hands and a lifetime of labor. So while everyone else shifts and starbolts and whatever else you go in search of hammers and nails, as well as some concrete which you'll mix up to fortify the stones. Still whistling, you return to your simple task, continuing to try and leave hidey holes - just, smaller ones this time.

RE: veins are paved with hope - Sunjata - 05-24-2020

Even if it caused a bit more destruction in its wake, the wall was down, in Ronin’s defense. The rest of the wall comes down easily, crumbling beneath the hunter’s feet, the sledgehammer making quick work of the rest of it. There’s material outside as well, and when Ronin goes to try and patch up the walls where prior damage had been set, he’ll find that trying to fit the pieces into the other holes won’t fit. And with that, the concrete used to hold it in will be growing hard in the time it takes him to add it, the small hand shovel within growing stiff as it gets stuck in there.

Zephyr seems to have much better luck with this – the hammer and nails working well with the concrete to fortify. Even the smaller holes this time are far easier to be made, easier to hide as well. And once this is done, only the door needs to be reinforced.

And it seems when it comes to Remi and Sunjata’s attempts up top, it goes better than it had before – though not by much. Remi’s chuckle reaches Sunjata and the Arbiter shoots back a small feeling of amusement within it. [say]Secret’s safe with me, governor.[/say] He teases lightly, before the bat is moving along the shingles with hawk!Remi, pulling and moving the shingles to make room for new ones. The bad shingles get tossed over the edge. In this time, he lets Remi continue while he leaves the room to grab a small bag of shingles, nails, and hammers, back to the roof, placing them down beside the worst space.

He shifts back into himself now, in a space where it seems the roof can support his weight, as he grabs a shingle, nail, and hammer and begins to fit them in. [say]Do you want to lay out the shingles and I can come in with the hammer and nails?[/say] He asks, lifting his head and leaning on his side – quite tenderly because of the wound – to focus on the Alchemist.

bad rolls for the R team again SOMEHOW ;__; but Zeph's little hidey holes are quite a success. Keep going!

No post order <3

RE: veins are paved with hope - Ronin - 05-24-2020

[say]"Are you fucking kidding me?"[/say] Ronin's frustration was now audible, the Star wrenching hard to get the hand shovel out of the wall he'd been trying to patch up. Taking a deep breath and letting it out again, fractals of starlight streaming out of him with his annoyance, he once again set out to try and repair things.

Mixing new concrete and using the hammer to smash a few of the larger stones down so they might fit nicely in the damage (that he had caused, yes, but shh), he went at it a second time. Hopefully with better results.

Getting annoyed, Ronin pulls the trowel out of the wall and smashes the stones into smaller pieces, then mixes new concrete to try and patch the walls again.