Court of the Fallen
in a word, love - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: in a word, love (/showthread.php?tid=3465)

Pages: 1 2 3

in a word, love - Vervain - 05-16-2020

Word spread far. It reached through trees, its fingers stretching across even the darkest reaches of the Greatwood, where a gypsy woman still searched for the wild heart that had claimed her own. But there was no Devrum, not in that forest, not anymore. Wherever the beast inside him had taken him, it was beyond Vervain's reach.

But those other people she loved were not. And many things had changed, since she had watched Remi Abruzzo become Remi Taliesin. Some things had not found her until it was far too late - things like death, like blight, like hurt and scars. But others - like the man who had once made her tea in a small abode in Northaven becoming Governor of a new land - no, they had come to her in remarkably good time.

And so it was that Vervain Calob took her first steps through a portal, saw the sea and the sand for the first time in years, and gained directions to a starbright lighthouse close to where Remi lived. The woods still claimed their mark on her; in the messy braids in her dark curls; in the feathers and bone twined there; in the quiver on her back and the leather and fur around her body.

But she was here, before a quaint cottage at sundown, not knowing quite whether knocking would be appropriate.

RE: in a word, love - Remi - 05-19-2020

Remi very nearly bulldozed straight into Vai, on his way out of the house. Instead, he almost tripped on his own feet like some gangly new-born foal as he tried to halt his long and broody stride. He'd meant to take a walk along the ocean to clear his head before he and Ronin went to bed. With LongNight approaching, it was harder and harder to remain in a good mood, not with so many vivid memories of what that stretch of week brought with it—or more importantly perhaps, what it took with it.

However as the Alchemist's sea-bright stare fell upon Vai, his unhappy and sour expression turned to one of awe and confusion, before melting into pure joy. [say]"Vai"[/SAY] He all but sang, surging forward to wrap his arms around her. No longer the awkward and naive boy she'd found shivering and wandering through the woods, lost and soaking wet, Remi was now a man of muscle and scars, but for Vai, he'd always have a smile.

[say]"What are you doing here? I..I sent ravens to the Greatwood but..."[/say] He grinned crookedly, cheeks happily flushed. [say]"None were ever able to find you. No real surprise there, though."[/say]

RE: in a word, love - Vervain - 05-20-2020

[say]"Remi!"[/say] Vai's laughter was muffled by the bulk of the man who collided with her, and she just about managed to get her arms around him to hug him back tightly. Happy tears pricked in her eyes, the witch shaking her head as if to tell him that her absence was hers alone to deal with. [say]"I was always on the move,"[/say] she said breathlessly, wiggling back to get a good look at him, cupping his cheeks in her hands.

[say]"Look at you,"[/say] she said, her smile broad. [say]"You look like a different man. I'm sorry I didn't come and find you. I..."[/say] Sighing deeply, Vai shrugged her shoulders. [say]"I was looking for Devrum. Wherever he is now, it's not the Greatwood."[/say]

RE: in a word, love - Remi - 05-21-2020

[say]'Of course you were.'[/say] The Alchemist said, his grin partially squashed by Vai's hands on his cheeks, not that he minded of course.

As she mentioned how different he looked, Remi could only smile sadly. One of his hands came up to cover hers, pulling it away from his cheek so that he could press a kiss to her fingers. The scars on his throat were likely what she meant, though it could have been anything else. He was a different man now in so many ways after all, and he'd not be surprised that Vai would be able to pick up on every single one of them with just a look. [say]'Don't you dare apologize.'[/say] He hummed sweetly with a shake of his head. [say]'No? Well...he likely got too drunk somewhere and is stuck hibernating. He'll turn up. If nothing in Northaven could kill him, nothing here will be able to."[/say] Remi wasn't entirely sure he believed what he was saying, but sure enough he wanted to believe it.

RE: in a word, love - Vervain - 05-21-2020

Remi kissed her fingertips and she returned his sad smile, tucking an errant curl out of her face and keeping her other hand in his, giving his fingers a gentle squeeze. He was right, and while Vai was able to pick out any number of things about him that had changed, the scars on his throat were deep and vicious, and she reached out to brush her fingers across them. [say]"Mm,"[/say] she hummed as he mentioned Devrum, though it was clear that she held no such hope. Vai had lost too much and hoped too long, and there came a point where it simply didn't serve her any more.

Besides, Remi was here. Dev wasn't. [say]"I heard about... yeah,"[/say] she murmured, hardly knowing where to start with it. [say]"Do you want to go for a walk...? I was told you were Governor of this place, and I... I suppose I remembered everything outside the woods, finally."[/say]

RE: in a word, love - Remi - 05-21-2020

The Alchemist tried not to swallow as her fingers brushed against his scars. Anyone else would have received a less than subtle glare for their efforts, but as with most wildish creatures, the witch always had a way of keep them calm. [say]"Those are a rather long story."[/say] He said a touch dismissively, having learned well from his encounter with Ianto that diving into the thick of things did not for a pleasant evening make.

[say]"Mmm, I am, and I would."[/say] Remi agreed. [say]"I was just about to. I've been walking by the ocean to clear my head before bed. It doesn't always help, but it's nice just the same. I didn't realize how much I'd missed the ocean before coming here."[/say] So saying, he led Vai off the porch and into the grasses, heading towards where the greenery bled away into crisp white sand.

[say]"Ronin will be happy to see you as well. For now though, as governor, I demand to hear everything first."[/say] Remi said with a foolish grin, offering his arm to Vai as they walked.

RE: in a word, love - Vervain - 05-21-2020

[say]"You know me - I'm all for a story,"[/say] Vai murmured with a kind smile, but she knew better than to push the issue, and instead she followed after Remi to walk with him. Slipping her arm easily into the Alchemist's, she leant comfortably against him and gazed up at the lighthouse, at the sprawl of stars, at the glittering sea. [say]"Mm... it took me off me feet, almost, when I arrived,"[/say] she admitted, happy to meander wherever he would lead them.

Snorting, Vai nudged him - governor, indeed - but happily complied. [say]"There isn't much to tell,"[/say] she admitted. [say]"I left the cottage for the Greatwood when I heard tales of a giant bear roaming there. Turned out just to be one of the mutated creatures from the Grounds, so I put it down. Since then I've just been living out there, following any hints, hunting and healing where I can. Felix, he..."[/say]

A curious expression came across her face at the mention of her son, something sad and proud all at once. [say]"He's fine. I'd rather not talk about him right now, though."[/say]

RE: in a word, love - Remi - 05-22-2020

Though Remi could still remember days he spent tangled in Vai's bed, feverish and unable to care for himself, and though he bore the scars of more than a few past mistakes, he felt for once strong enough, perhaps, to not need to lean quite so strongly upon Vai. But perhaps that is what all boys think: that they've finally become strong enough to tend to their mothers. Such would never actually be the case.

Remi's cheeks dimpled slightly hearing Vai had put the large creature down, not doubting the witch's tale for one moment. He couldn't imagine what it must have been like, thinking she was tracking her husband only to slay a mutant a moment later. [say]'Well, it seems we'll hardly be starved for conversation later, then.'[/say] Remi replied with a grin, tugging Vai closer as their feet sank into the sand and the waves rushed to greet them.

[say]'But yes, governor if you can believe it. Not many can, so I wouldn't blame you.'[/say] Remi said with a low chuckle. [say]"But ... it's nice to be somewhere I'm thought of as an equal, again. Somewhere I can help make a difference about the land I care about."[/say] With a soft shrug, he shot the witch a crooked and mischievous smile. [say]"And having people think of Ronin as the governess was too rich to pass up."[/say]

RE: in a word, love - Vervain - 05-22-2020

[say]"I am not complaining about that,"[/say] Vai said, grinning back at him and letting him pull her closer as they headed onto soft sands and the whispering shore beyond it. [say]"The woods are not great conversationalists, you know - even Fae woods. I've missed talking to you."[/say] And she'd missed a great deal more of his life as well, apparently, so there was a lot of lost time to make up for.

Her smile softening, she glanced up to meet his gaze. [say]"I can believe it,"[/say] she assured him. The way he carried himself, the easy strength and confidence she'd only really started to see in him when they'd last been together... it all made sense, for him to be governor of this place. Still, she couldn't help but let out a laugh at Ronin being governess. [say]"I bet he is taking full advantage of it,"[/say] she said. [say]"Do you catch him in a corset, fanning himself when you get home?"[/say]

[say]"And I, you."[/say] Remi agreed, not managing to say much more than that given how impossibly his lips twisted into a smile. But that was one of the things he'd always cherished most about Vai: all the things she could glean from what he didn't say.

Snorting, the Alchemist shook his head, rolling his eyes at the darkening sky above. [say]"No. He's changed too, with all this magic now. He's able to hide his secrets quite well thanks to all of that."[/say] Remi grinned. He'd let his counterpart expand on that, should he choose to. No doubt Vai would be able to manage two of Ronin just the same as she'd managed one, but still, the Alchemist didn't want to be the one to explain. That would only up the conversation to trickle into things best left unsaid, just now.

[say]"There are mermaids here, you know. Like the ones from the stories you used to tell me."[/say] The Alchemist remarked. [say]"And whales that aren't...alive, exactly. There's all sorts of things out there I'd not have believed if you hadn't already opened me up to the idea of fantastic creatures."[/say] He added with an affectionate smile.

[say]"You say that, but I don't think you are considering the fact that Ronin might wish to flaunt his corset and his fan,"[/say] Vai said with a crooked smile, patting Remi's arm as they strolled along together. There was much that was unsaid between them, the sort of yawning chasm that would eventually need to be addressed. But just for once, just for now, she was happy to walk with the Alchemist and speak of what was good and happy and right. It didn't happen all that often.

Blue eyes widening, she cast her gaze back out to the sea. [say]"Mermaids, you say? And not-quite-alive whales? I thought the creatures in the Hollowed Grounds and the Greatwood were fantastical, let alone here."[/say] Chuckling, she gave his arm a gentle squeeze. [say]"Are you happy that you came here? You and Ronin?"[/say]

For a moment, Remi let himself look adorably confused and surprised as if Vai's words had opened up his mind to new possibilities. [say]"If only I had the magic to make him a corset or a fan, I'd rush home to him right now and beg for his forgiveness. Since I can't though, he can wait."[/say]

Feeling perhaps the tiniest bit smug that after all these years he might tell Vai something she didn't know, the Alchemist grinned and nodded. [say]"Ghost whales, they're aptly named."[/say] He said. [say]"Pink dolphins that control storms, and birds that let you walk on water...until they fly off and you're left to drown or swim home."[/say] Remi grinned brightly at that.

Her question gave him pause however, his smile souring just a touch. Pulling in a breath of familiar sea air, the Alchemist halted, one of his fingers closing around the one of Vai's wrapped around his arm. [say]"We didn't choo se to come here...not really. But now, I think yes, I am glad. I'll never be happy about the way it happened, but I think Ronin and I have both found our rhythm here."[/say]

Vai couldn't help but giggle at the look on Remi's face, offering him a mischievous wink for his trouble. [say]"Only married a year and still expanding your horizons. You will have a long and happy life together, I think,"[/say] she said, more than happy to go wherever the Alchemist led them on their walk. Vai knew zero about the area and had no intention of learning just yet, more invested in Remi for the time being.

An expression of wonder flickered across her face as he described all of the creatures she might come across here, seeming excited to go out there and find as many of them as she could. Tomorrow, though. [say]"It sounds like somewhere from my stories, you're right,"[/say] she said, somewhat wistfully. Still, she fell to a halt at the same time as he did, gazing up at him, noting the flicker of something less than happy in his expression.

[say]"Then squeeze as much out of this place as you can. You can be unhappy about the circumstances, but you can't change them now. The future though... that's yours."[/say] She smiled.

He wouldn't comment on the length of their marriage, not wanting to invite bad luck their way, but he couldn't help but nod in agreement. [say]"Oh, that's us. Very much still in the honeymoon phase."[/say] He chuckled.

Whether or not the future actually was theirs, was yet to be seen. With Safrin and Ludo pulling their strings, anything was possible. For now though, Remi was happy to accept Vai's witchy wisdom at face value. [say]"Do you think you'll stay in the Greatwood? Or has the sun and sand tempted you out? Torchline could use a good healer, you know."[/say] He added, as if Vai's utility was her main selling point. His shit-eating grin said otherwise of course, and Remi could only chuckle as he tugged on her hand gently as he folded at the knee to sit on the sands.